• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bollocks

Apart from some boss fights where they force you to a certain camera angle and some 1sec qte's the game is pretty good.
The gameplay is great, the set pieces are awesome and the story has you hooked.
The good definitely outweighs the bad, can't wait to see what they have in store for Leon's campaign, the bar has been raised with Jake's and Chris's campaign.

AlexBasch

My highest so far is Leon with 122k. I just start off by breaking all the time things and gathering stuff along the way. Then I just focus on kicking ass. lol
I think I'll do that, I can't seem to reach the a time extender on the other side in the top of the railyard map, the enemies piling up in the stairs are a good help to rack up combos.

Apart from some boss fights where they force you to a certain camera angle and some 1sec qte's the game is pretty good.
The gameplay is great, the set pieces are awesome and the story has you hooked.
The good definitely outweighs the bad, can't wait to see what they have in store for Leon's campaign, the bar has been raised with Jake's and Leon's campaign.
You mean Chris campaign or Leon as the last one? If it's the latter, you're in for a treat.

And while Sherry's alternate costume is a fun (and good looking) reminder of RE2 I was sorta expecting a Lollipop Chainsaw kind-of schoolgirl outfit. Oh well.

Carbonox

SHOULD'VE EARNED IT!! =x lol j/k. I know they're alternate colors or w/e. So far I've only got Helena and Leon's alt through A ranking. Haven't used any RE.net points yet though.

Wait, I could have unlocked it via Mercs? I haven't touched that mode yet. :lol

Flash banging a group of enemies then planting a remote mine at their feet mid-slide? Nice.

image.php

wow I have to try this. Stylish!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I finished Leon. I think the narrative structure sort of hurts the individual campaign. Maybe the game is better once ou finish all three, but then Capcom should have told me which order to play things in. Playing just Leon, I feel like things move too fast. The bad guy has no real build up and his motivation is weak, Helena's plot (and Helena herself) feels half explained/not explained at all, the reunions between the characters feel anticlimactic and lame.

This was a mistake to let players just play through the campaigns in any order. I'd prefer a frame narrative weaving everything together holistically.

I actually really enjoyed Leon. The weakest part of the game is the beginning.

Omg yes. I was sad. Played as Chris though, of course. Would have never expected that to happen honestly.

I liked all of the new characters in this game, Sherry included since she's been MIA for so long. Helena was probably my least favorite but she was still cool. I had no idea Laura Bailey voiced Helena, great performance. Jake has the best voice actor though, obviously.
Chris's VA Roger Craig Smith is the best imo,
love his Ezio & Chris voices.

Lucent

Wait, I could have unlocked it via Mercs? I haven't touched that mode yet. :lol

I'm not sure if they're alt colors of the alts you unlock on RE.net or what. They say costume 1 with the ones you unlock in mercs. Just gotta get an A rank with a character in Mercs to unlock their first costume.

Neiteio

I finished Leon. I think the narrative structure sort of hurts the individual campaign. Maybe the game is better once ou finish all three, but then Capcom should have told me which order to play things in. Playing just Leon, I feel like things move too fast. The bad guy has no real build up and his motivation is weak, Helena's plot (and Helena herself) feels half explained/not explained at all, the reunions between the characters feel anticlimactic and lame.

This was a mistake to let players just play through the campaigns in any order. I'd prefer a frame narrative weaving everything together holistically.

I'm loving this game, but I absolutely agree a frame narrative threading everything together in an "optimal" order would've been best -- then they could ease you into all of the different mechanics, introduce each new enemy type and scenario type at the right time in the right order, and of course the narrative moving you back and forth between the different characters would keep everything fresh. I'm playing in Dusk Golem's recommended order, and while switching characters keeps things interesting and seeing everything in chronological order makes the story stronger, the balance would still seem to favor playing Leon first, from a "learning the controls" standpoint (since his enemies ease you in more than the warfare that opens Chris and Jake), and so playing Chris and Jake first (which is better storywise) runs the risk of alienating players with a sense of unevenness as they're thrown headfirst into the fray while trying to still learn the mechanics.

Lucent

Yep. Dumb Capcom. But at least people like Dusk Golem got it early so I could know before playing. =P

Y2Kev

I didn't see Dusk Golem's order. Damn.

I'd also propose splitting the chapters up (1 and 2 are too long). Since we no longer have a merchant in game, I want to be able to purchase skills more regularly.

CRAPCOM SUX

more wood to throw on the "no consistent vision" pile!

I'm not sure if they're alt colors of the alts you unlock on RE.net or what. They say costume 1 with the ones you unlock in mercs. Just gotta get an A rank with a character in Mercs to unlock their first costume.
just recolors.

Leon: Red->Blue
Chris: Blue->Pinkish
Sherry: White/Blue-> Pink/Red
Ada: White->Gold

etc

Trigger

lol,
how the hell does Simmons fit that ginormous t-rex body inside his smaller form? That's not how mass works!
(Leon 5)

I really think Leon's campaign is the best in the whole game and is honestly better than most of RE5 too.

Troy Baker is boss.

Dacon

Banned
The comparisons to Call of Duty are just bewildering to me.

So far this game has much more depth and variety.

QTEs are way too plentiful and many of them add nothing to the experience but that's a minor gripe for me.

Seriously not understanding the reception this game is getting from a lot of people.

It's not perfect and I can see whys someone would be annoyed by a lot of the content but people are acting like it is the worst thing ever.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I like the idea of RE.net but it takes a freakin' year and a half to update anything.

RedSwirl

Okay Jake actually did get a lot better at ch.3. You have to use his dodges and mere attacks a lot more though.

Also, only Leon's campaign so far seems to be full of QTEs. Barely any with Chris and Jake.

The comparisons to Call of Duty are just bewildering to me.

So far this game has much more depth and variety.

QTEs are way too plentiful and many of them add nothing to the experience but that's a minor gripe for me.

Seriously not understanding the reception this game is getting from a lot of people.

It's not perfect and I can see whys someone would be annoyed by a lot of the content but people are acting like it is the worst thing ever.

Simple,they copied things from different popular games and it doesn't work as well. Chris campaign is abysmal. Jake's is not that much better and leon's is the only decent campaign.

theDeeDubs

Troy Baker is boss.

Yup. I even loved Snow ;). Comparing this game to RE 5 is hard for me. They each have their plus/minuses. I kind of miss how RE 5 was split up (1-1, 1-2, etc). It made trying to S rank a little easier since I felt like I could knock a section out pretty quickly even on a lunch break. As much as I loved Sheva, she was a pain in the ass on professional for me, especially the
Jill and Wesker
fight. She kept getting stuck in the door and one shotted. All AI co-op partners should be indestructible for the most part.

Wrapping up Jake's section and I am now officially biased. With the controls down, placing remote bombs while sliding and doing other cool shit, I am sad people won't give this game a chance to grow on them. They don't know what they're missing. If this game didn't have the RE name attached to it, I could see it being a cult hit.

Bladenic

lol,
how the hell does Simmons fit that ginormous t-rex body inside his smaller form? That's not how mass works!
(Leon 5)

I really think Leon's campaign is the best in the whole game and is honestly better than most of RE5 too.

Troy Baker is boss.

Leon's final boss fight sequence was probably my least favorite of the three. However I do think his campaign was my favorite overall. Jake second, and unfortunately Chris last. Though I actually like Jake the most to play as.

Now to do the final campaign.

Just finished Leon's chapters, will tackle the other ones tomorrow. I have to say that I'm very impressed, especially since I was let down by the demo, but the chapters are very lengthy and meaty, I like it.

The rope climbing needs to die though, think I wasted 15 minutes or something before I got the hang of it, terrible.

Trigger

I miss Sheva actually. Can she be a merc mode unlock Capcom?

Leon's final boss fight sequence was probably my least favorite of the three. However I do think his campaign was my favorite overall. Jake second, and unfortunately Chris last. Though I actually like Jake the most to play as.

Now to do the final campaign.

I understand why.
Simmons survives a ridiculous number of almost deaths.

when you're running from the big thing, it starts with you climbing a big ladder, I keep up with Piers but no matter what he hits the platform I'm on shortly after you slide

I know that feel bro.

The trick is to not touch your partner. The slide section is pretty much luck tho. I could never get up standing fast enough after it some times.

SpokkX

Just completed leon 4 and chris 3 previously...

Damn.. This game is just a trainwreck :(

It plays like shit, this is a Capcom game today?

Worst RE and biggest disappointment ever for a big series?

They clearly didn't play test this part. Nobody in their right mind would play this part and say "okay it works and it's fun." Nobody. It doesn't work, and it's not fun.

Carbonox

For story DLC
I am hoping for Claire and Jill looking into more of Neo Umbrella and explaining Simmons and his family

Regarding the latter, they're explained in the files you get for shooting emblems.

For the former, it would be nice to have had more information on what they're doing in the canon during the events of RE6.

Y2Kev

Chris 1 was pretty shit. I think this in general is going to be painful. Encounter design is terrible, the cover mechanics are annoying. It like blurs/DoFs things while in cover so I couldn't even see anything. Basically just went into the middle of a room and started unloading. Worked best. Except Chris takes like 2 bullets and then falls on his ass.

ironcreed

Banned
Chris 1 was pretty shit. I think this in general is going to be painful. Encounter design is terrible, the cover mechanics are annoying. It like blurs/DoFs things while in cover so I couldn't even see anything. Basically just went into the middle of a room and started unloading. Worked best. Except Chris takes like 2 bullets and then falls on his ass.

Just wait until the driving segment in Chapter 3. Have fun.

Regarding the latter, they're explained in the files you get for shooting emblems.

For the former, it would be nice to have had more information on what they're doing in the canon during the events of RE6.

Ya I know, but playing through it is so much better then reading it up. Plus need Claire and Jill !

Dacon

Banned
Simple,they copied things from different popular games and it doesn't work as well. Chris campaign is abysmal. Jake's is not that much better and leon's is the only decent campaign.

I really don't agree.

I had a hell of a lot of fun with them. The combat is just fantastic and the characters and plot while not anything great are really entertaining and there's some fun scenarios sprinkled throughout them all.

The variety of monsters and enemies to fight just makes it that much sweeter for me.

I guess it's just one of those things you like or hate.

Trigger

So I'm now done with Leon's scenario and
holy shit how many people did Leon and Helena accidentally kill or watch die? lol, worst hero ever. But I'm happy for Helena. Her hydra was a beast for this campaign.

Ya I know, but playing through it is so much better then reading it up. Plus need Claire and Jill !

CKFhk.gif

Bladenic

So I'm now done with Leon's scenario and
holy shit how many people did Leon and Helena accidentally kill or watch die? lol, worst hero ever. But I'm happy for Helena. Her hydra was a beast for this campaign.

CKFhk.gif

Omg I know, the worst being chapter 2 which they cause and not even comment on haha.

Regarding Sheva, I'm pretty sure she'll take the same bus that Rebecca, Billy, and even Claire all take to the "Might as well be dead" school.

Lucent

Was playing with someone else and we got disconnected right before the end of chapter 1 with chris. Dammit, they need to get these servers working flawlessly. =l And I actually liked Chapter 1. Feel like a boss being like "eff you
spider J'avo!
" and lobbing a grenade in the room to clear them all out at once.

If the camera knew how to handle being in tight areas better, it'd be a lot more enjoyable. Sometimes I'll accidentally do stuff I didn't want to cuz the camera will swing at certain places.

Bladenic

Was playing with someone else and we got disconnected right before the end of chapter 1 with chris. Dammit, they need to get these servers working flawlessly. =l And I actually liked Chapter 1. Feel like a boss being like "eff you
spider J'avo!
" and lobbing a grenade in the room to clear them all out at once.

If the camera knew how to handle being in tight areas better, it'd be a lot more enjoyable. Sometimes I'll accidentally do stuff I didn't want to cuz the camera will swing at certain places.

One of the loading screen hints seemed to imply Flash Grenades will instantly take out a mutating J'avo, this true? Never really found any use for the flash grenades.

Top Bottom