• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

omggg chris is so badddd

a) is piers modeled on taylor lautner
b) what's with chris' mung haircut

tumblr_m8jyunYsmL1qjc5a9.jpg

Edit: Beat.

olimpia84

Chris' chapter 2 was a complete mess. Completely useless AI teammates not doing anything and completely useless enemies as well. At one point I was trying to shoot an enemy that was across the street far away with (what I thought) an AI teammate right next to me....turns out it was not a teammate but an enemy that was pretty much right next to me the entire time and never tried to attack me. Also saw some of the enemies spawning right in front of me out of nowhere? WTF? Did they even test this game?

Bladenic

The part where Ada answers the questions while fighting is so fucking cool. So much swag on every level. I like the set up of her scenario.

Agreed but it was annoying because the enemies. I couldn't even hear everything. Badass outfit though. Dat ass, of course the crawling is quite prevalent.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Chris 1 was pretty shit. I think this in general is going to be painful. Encounter design is terrible, the cover mechanics are annoying. It like blurs/DoFs things while in cover so I couldn't even see anything. Basically just went into the middle of a room and started unloading. Worked best. Except Chris takes like 2 bullets and then falls on his ass.

Tips for enjoying Chris:

1) Don't use cover unless there are snipers targeting you.
2) You can quick recover from being knocked over by pressing the roll command (downward direction only?)

Trigger

Ugh, has anyone finished the second chapter of
Ada's
campaign? I have no clue how to solve
this puzzle with the hanging corpses.

Agreed but it was annoying because the enemies. I couldn't even hear everything. Badass outfit though. Dat ass, of course the crawling is quite prevalent.

I'm almost half sure that was intentional too.

Sectus

Ugh, has anyone finished the second chapter of
Ada's
campaign? I have no clue how to solve
this puzzle with the hanging corpses.
Unless you already know, you can push the thing with the lever to the left and right.

Ken

image.php

C'mon guys! It's Resident Evil! Besides, it's not the first time that a
dinosaur?
is featured in the game.

No I mean fighting it. I don't have a problem that it's a
dinosaur.
The copter controls feel sluggish, I don't know if I'm even hitting it at the right spots, and I don't know how much longer the fight is without a health bar so I have to keep repeating the same thing until I hit the arbitrary number of repeats that Capcom set. Also getting killed sets me back so far that it feels like a waste of time.

And I already fought it in Leon's campaign so why am I doing this again and from a less enjoyable (IMO) POV.

beastmode

Is this the chronology of the game? Does it help to play this in this order?

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Chris 1 & 2 should really come right before 3.

Noi

No I mean fighting it. I don't have a problem that it's a
dinosaur.
The copter controls feel sluggish, I don't know if I'm even hitting it at the right spots, and I don't know how much longer the fight is without a health bar so I have to keep repeating the same thing until I hit the arbitrary number of repeats that Capcom set.

And I already fought it in Leon's campaign so why am I doing this again and from a less enjoyable (IMO) POV.

You're technically meant to fight it while synced up with another player, is the problem. Leon and Helena shooting at it as well makes the fight go by that much quicker, but solo
Ada
makes that fight take foreverrrrrr. >_< If the AI actually contributed to the fight, it'd be another story.

Ken

You're technically meant to fight it while synced up with another player, is the problem. Leon and Helena shooting at it as well makes the fight go by that much quicker, but solo
Ada
makes that fight take foreverrrrrr. >_< If the AI actually contributed to the fight, it'd be another story.

Don't really have the internet connection to support a co-op game so I've been playing completely solo. Also whoever thought it was a great idea for the copter to flash red the entire time after reaching like 50% health needs to go away.

Neiteio

The Dusk Golem order in the OP works great storywise, and is the order I use myself, but I would caution that starting with Chris is a bit more demanding of a new player mechanically since it throws you headfirst into heated combat situations. I advise taking the time at the start of Chris Chapter 1, when you're in the streets of China amid the fleeing citizens, to really test out the mechanics: try aiming and leaping forward or to the side with the Action button (X/A) and the corresponding direction on the analog stick. I recommend practicing sliding by dashing with the Action button and hitting the Aim button, and try doing the 180 spin while sliding by pulling back on the analog stick. Remember that when enemies knock you down, mashing the Action button makes you roll instantly back to your feet. Note note that when rolling you can stand out of a roll by releasing the aim. And remember that cover is just used against snipers/turrets and to quickly replenish your stamina meter so you can do strong melee attacks. Keep this in mind, and you'll hit the ground running (and sliding)!

Ein Bear

So what ever happened with all that 'Alex Wesker' foreshadowing they did in Lost in Nightmares? I thought they were setting up RE6 with it at the time, but it didn't seem to go anywhere... did the character evolve into Jake instead?

Neiteio

So what ever happened with all that 'Alex Wesker' foreshadowing they did in Lost in Nightmares? I thought they were setting up RE6 with it at the time, but it didn't seem to go anywhere... did the character evolve into Jake instead?
Maybe Alex Wesker will turn out to be part of
The Family, the Illumaniti-like organization to which Derek Simmons belongs

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Dusk Golem order in the OP works great storywise, and is the order I use myself, but I would caution that starting with Chris is a bit more demanding of a new player mechanically since it throws you headfirst into heated combat situations. I advise taking the time at the start of Chris Chapter 1, when you're in the streets of China amid the fleeing citizens, to really test out the mechanics: try aiming and leaping forward or to the side with the Action button (X/A) and the corresponding direction on the analog stick. I recommend practicing sliding by dashing with the Action button and hitting the Aim button, and try doing the 180 spin while sliding by pulling back on the analog stick. Remember that when enemies knock you down, mashing the Action button makes you roll instantly back to your feet. Note note that when rolling you can stand out of a roll by releasing the aim. And remember that cover is just used against snipers/turrets and to quickly replenish your stamina meter so you can do strong melee attacks. Keep this in mind, and you'll hit the ground running (and sliding)!

That's good advice in my opinion, and also another good piece of advice for people I believe is to test the waters some with Mercenaries to really get a better feel of how the mechanics of the game work. To get there, when it asks you to choose a character, just press B to go to the menu.

Trigger

Jake's long lost twin in RE 7 probably.

Nemesis_

Completely forgotten / not followed up on.

Sectus

I am surprised Alex Wesker wasn't addressed in either Revelations or this game. Maybe they felt having another evil Wesker character would be a bit repetitious after having Wesker as the main bad guy for so long.

Dusk Golem

There's some theories that Alex may have been Alfred and Alexia's father. It does add up, since he was close with Umbrella, his full name was Alexander, and the files in Lost in Nightmares mentions Alex fled to an island with his research, which is what Alexander had done. Lived on an island and separated himself from Umbrella with researchers and experiments.

There are so many plotlines that RE leaves dangling that seem to hint at one thing and then never get addressed. RECV and 3 was leading up to the fall of umbrella which never gets fully addressed until a spinoff rail shooter. RE4 hints at a big Ada vs. Wesker showdown that doesn't happen. RE5 hints at a Tricell showdown. RE4 hints at a new threat and some big things in RE6 that don't happen.

Nemesis_

There's some theories that Alex may have been Alfred and Alexia's father. It does add up, since he was close with Umbrella, his full name was Alexander, and the file mentions Alex fled to an island with his research, which is what Alexander had done. Lived on an island and separated himself from Umbrella with researchers and experiments.

This works well, I wonder if it is true though

Ein Bear

There's some theories that Alex may have been Alfred and Alexia's father. It does add up, since he was close with Umbrella, his full name was Alexander, and the files in Lost in Nightmares mentions Alex fled to an island with his research, which is what Alexander had done. Lived on an island and separated himself from Umbrella with researchers and experiments.

I like this explanation. If Capcom do just drop the plotline, then I'll accept this as my personal canon :p

Neiteio

I hope in RE7 they bring back Wesker in a robot body, preferably with his head in a jar. I'm not even kidding. Don't worry, it could be a cool kung-fu robot body.

Ein Bear

I hope in RE7 they bring back Wesker in a robot body, preferably with his head in a jar. I'm not even kidding. Don't worry, it could be a cool kung-fu robot body.

I just want him to turn up, completely fine, with no explanation. He's the best part of the series. They can't retire the character until we've had a game where Wesker and Leon exchange delicious, delicious dialogue.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just want him to turn up, completely fine, with no explanation. He's the best part of the series. They can't retire the character until we've had a game where Wesker and Leon exchange delicious, delicious dialogue.
RE5 and 6 prove that the writing staff and translators don't understand delicious RE4-style dialogue.

Neiteio

Maybe Wesker can come back inexplicably fine, and a file buried in some obscure corner of the game will have some nanomachines-grade plot device bullshit about Wesker's brain having a special device that uploads his consciousness into a clone body's brain.

RE5 and 6 prove that the writing staff and translators don't understand delicious RE4-style dialogue.
Bullshit! :) RE5, especially, had tasty dialogue: "COMPLETE! GLOBAL! SATURATION!"

News Bot

Banned
I like this explanation. If Capcom do just drop the plotline, then I'll accept this as my personal canon :p

The Alex = Alexander thing is pretty much impossible and far too contrived, even for CAPCOM.

I am guessing that the reason it was not covered in Revelations or 6 is because Alex Wesker was written by Tsukasa Takenaka, who wrote neither of those games. While this usually doesn't stop other writers, it's not a stretch to imagine that this particular writer doesn't want anyone else to handle his plot point. Would explain the complete blank regarding TRICELL, although there is a reference to them in Revelations (Jessica and Raymond are two of their agents, they helped make t-Abyss, Excella is the interviewer in Jessica's Report, etc)

He could also just be a DLC intended character.

Dusk Golem

The Alex = Alexander thing is pretty much impossible and far too contrived, even for CAPCOM.

I am guessing that the reason it was not covered in Revelations or 6 is because Alex Wesker was written by Tsukasa Takenaka, who wrote neither of those games. While this usually doesn't stop other writers, it's not a stretch to imagine that this particular writer doesn't want anyone else to handle his plot point.

He could also just be a DLC intended character.

I personally think that Alex might just be a dropped plot narrative, but that's the only theory I can remember fan-side. Its one flaw of a series that doesn't keep a strong creative vision moving forward or the original creators of said series is that some things contradict or are dropped off in the process. Alex may be revisited in the future or explained, maybe he won't be.

There's still a lot more life in gameplay for me in Resident Evil 6, but I find myself already wondering what direction they'll take for Resident Evil 7. There's so many different directions they could take now its a bit ridiculous, but I'm sure they're going to be thinking about it after the critical reception to RE6.

News Bot

Banned
I personally think that Alex might just be a dropped plot narrative, but that's the only theory I can remember fan-side. Its one flaw of a series that doesn't keep a strong creative vision moving forward or the original creators of said series is that some things contradict or are dropped off in the process. Alex may be revisited in the future or explained, maybe he won't be.

There's still a lot more life in gameplay for me in Resident Evil 6, but I find myself already wondering what direction they'll take for Resident Evil 7. There's so many different directions they could take now its a bit ridiculous, but I'm sure they're going to be thinking about it after the critical reception to RE6.

The series has never actually dropped a narrative unless it was something explicitly never mentioned. They could afford to drop the G-Virus sub-plot because nothing ever explicitly came of it, and they could change the nature and name of the Clay Virus because it was never fully discussed outside of Japanese guidebooks.

Alex is mentioned both in BH5 itself (as "Alex W.") and its Lost In Nightmares DLC. He is also mentioned in Archives II. I'd wait until Takenaka takes the writing helm again before he is ever mentioned again, though.

Bladenic

Plot threads are one thing, but I wish the series wasn't so fond of this trope. Especially considering this game is a sort of all-star game, we could have at least heard about some of the passengers of the bus in this game. But nothing. What's really jarring is that
all the main characters of RE2 are playable in this game, EXCEPT Claire. They could have at least given us a update on her activities. Is she still fighting Bioterrorism? Did she get knocked up and is a housewife? Anything would have been fine.
Though with Rebecca, Billy, and Barry, I think this trope is more appropriate. Sheva being on a bus isn't too surprising considering she isn't very well liked, but again, a mention would have made too much sense.

Grisby

I think Jake's boss battle wins for final boss battle just because it was the least frustrating.

Also, I have to admit
having a fist fight with Ustanak
was pretty bad ass.

Edit2-screw it I just deleted it.

Top Bottom