• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bladenic

This game seriously just does nothing but jump around from being really good to really bad. I'm toward the end and I'm just not sure about it. I want to wait until I'm done with everything first though before I make a verdict.

Basically my same reaction to 4 and 5 as well.

You thought 4 jumped to "really bad"?

RedSwirl

Jake Chapter 1 has been the most bland thing so far. That finale wa annoying too.

Edit: could Sherry's youthful appearance (for a 27-year-old) be explained by her
regenerative healing factor from the G-virus
?

Lucent

Finished up Leon's last night and almost done with Jake's today. I am having a blast with Jake. Once I got a feel for the controls, I've been racking up A's with Jake. His Chapter 3 has been my favorite so far. I really hope he's the focus of 7.

I've been watching some streams of this and man if people don't spend more time bitching about the game than actually playing it. And when they do actually play, they try and play it like it's Gears or something and run out of ammo and die with the inevitable "man this game sucks" followed shortly after. It reminds me of the Vanguard bitching when ME 2 came out.

How's the loading for everyone? I'm playing the digital PS 3 version, and I don't even have time to read any of the tips during them.

Exactly.

And the loading is pretty fast to me. Usually doesn't take more than 5 seconds, maybe 10 at the most. The disc does a 4gb background install, so that probably helps it.

Jake Chapter 1 has been the most bland thing so far. That finale wa annoying too.

Edit: could Sherry's youthful appearance (for a 27-year-old) be explained by her
?

Yeah maybe. I'm 27 and I still get mistaken for a 17 year old though. =l

Bladenic

Well beat everyone's campaign. Need some time to collect my overall thoughts, though I think Leon's last chapter was my least favorite while Jake might have been my favorite with Chris a very close second.

I really sucked at finding the serpent medallions. Either I just suck or they are very tricky. But each map I would try to search pretty well, guess I wasn't thorough enough. Also I feel like maybe there are some during high stake sequences, which would explain why I missed so many.

Also are you supposed to be able to check RE.NET from the game or get updates or something? Pretty sure I signed up when it asked at the beginning but nothing since. Though I haven't actually visited the site, that would make sense haha.

So from what I can tell and I'd hope to be wrong, there arent any costumes for campaign use?

Carbonox

?

Yeah one of the files you can get in the game state that.

Trigger

lol, I had to to take a late lunch break during Chris's last chapter
Damn BOW always destroys the platform I'm on. Either I mess the slide up, or my AI partner falls behind.

Some of these QTEs are frustrating.

People using Ada on mercenaries that have no clue how to use her and keep the combo going are driving me crazy.
even worse they run off on their own.
3 different games in a row.

People using Ada on mercenaries that have no clue how to use her and keep the combo going are driving me crazy.
even worse they run off on their own.
3 different games in a row.

How do you keep the combo going at the 47-48 combo mark, when enemies suddenly dissapear? I'd love to read some Mercs pro tips.

Game DONE. Damn this game is long. I loved most of Ada's but the last chapter is pretty crappy. Time to collect my thoughts I will rank all scenarios later. So far I would say I liked Jake's the most, Leon's the least and Ada had some of the highest highs.

How do you keep the combo going at the 47-48 combo mark, when enemies suddenly dissapear? I'd love to read some Mercs pro tips.
on Urban Chaos stay near the middle or the top from around 40.
once it clears out there is almost always a zombie coming out of the arcade.

Steel beast, stay near the far ends stairs of the ground level.

Mining the Depths, you will almost never need to go looking for stragglers

Trigger

Its pretty reasonable, if this game wasn't named resident evil it would be shunned by the world. I'm fighting tanks and helicopters, its like ninja gaiden with shitty controls and no sense of accomplishment

Doubt it. There are some fantastic set pieces and moments throughout the game. I won't defend the padding though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there a way to coax RE.net to update... I finished Ada's campaign and should have enough points for an alt costume. But I;ve been waiting for a while now, no update.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game seriously just does nothing but jump around from being really good to really bad. I'm toward the end and I'm just not sure about it. I want to wait until I'm done with everything first though before I make a verdict.

Basically my same reaction to 4 and 5 as well.

Your reaction to this game is correct.

I hope you're not trying to say the unevenness present in 6 is equivalent in severity or quantity to the unevenness of RE4. (I know some people will say RE4 has no unevenness at all, but I don't need to get that extreme to make this point.) I get that some people don't like the island environment as much as the rest, but it was all pretty polished.

branny

I don't think it's stated enough how nice it is to have totally different characters (and, by extension, scenarios) to choose from. You really didn't get that kind of diversity with RE5's solo campaign.

edit: ^Yeah, I think the dull parts in RE4's campaign also stand out more than usual because the pacing is otherwise pretty fantastic in that game. I'd say my favorite things about RE4 are the pacing, atmosphere, and feeling of adventure/exploration. The chapter structure in REV and RE6 (and RE5, to a lesser extent) kind of makes things feel disjointed. I still don't think RE4's combat is all that great, though. It's the other stuff that makes RE4 good.

Its pretty reasonable, if this game wasn't named resident evil it would be shunned by the world. I'm fighting tanks and helicopters, its like ninja gaiden with shitty controls and no sense of accomplishment

Hmm my game didn't have shitty controls and fighting tanks and helicopters is pretty cool. I have plenty of sense of accomplishment.

News Bot

Banned
Sounds like Aya Brea from Parasite Eve.

It's actually something the G-Virus has always been capable of if it successfully adapts to a human. Spencer in the BH4 version that became Devil May Cry was meant to be over 100 years old yet still only looked about 50, while his sons Dante and Vergil were meant to retain his 20 year old appearance despite being well into their 30s.

Aya is probably my favorite heroine in gaming so I have no problem with the resemblance.

By the way, it seems even character interactions are restricted to files now. God dammit CAPCOM.

With Claire as a mutual contact, it would only be a matter of time before the two met. Although the interactions between their respective organizations are highly restricted, when they finally met, both were able to understand each other's deep convictions, particularly those related to the eradication of bio-organic weapons. The conversation that followed between the two is confidential. However, Hunnigan wrote down the details of their meeting into a report she sent to Adam Benford. Below is a excerpt from that report.

---

Terra Save member, Claire Redfield, introduced the two and they shook hands firmly, smiling. It looked almost like they were two friends who hadn't seen each other in 10 years. They didn't say much and it was a short conversation, but I believe they came to understanding of each other's hardships in their battles against bioterrorism.
I believe this meeting was an important step in breaking down the barrier between the U.S. government and the BSAA.

The files even explain why the BSAA aren't used in Degeneration.

Since I saw series rankings I will give my quick first impression since finishing RE6

RE4
RE2
RECV
RE5
REmake = RE1
Revelations
RE6
RE3
RE0

Rev cause of Raid and the total package, the campaign is the worst in the series.

Grisby

Finally got my internet to work halfway decent and played some Mercs online.

Damn. Fun stuff. This is also the way to get skill points. You get a crazy more amount than SP.

Is there only one alternate outfit per character? How do I unlock Sherry and the other grayed out names (I seemingly unlocked Piers randomly)?

Evolved1

Finally got my internet to work halfway decent and played some Mercs online.

Damn. Fun stuff. This is also the way to get skill points. You get a crazy more amount than SP.

Is there only one alternate outfit per character? How do I unlock Sherry and the other grayed out names (I seemingly unlocked Piers randomly)?

To unlock characters, you need
B rank on the different (default) merc levels. Can't recall which levels unlock which characters... pretty sure Public Assembly gets you Helena, the others I cannot recall

Yeah, about Mercs and skill points...

Say, I get 100,000 points in Mercenaries, playing it online co-op. How many skill points do I get in return?

Evolved1

Yeah, about Mercs and skill points...

Say, I get 100,000 points in Mercenaries, playing it online co-op. How many skill points do I get in return?

Skill points are based on final rank (S-E) afaik.

My question is do the skill points you pick up count? Like the treasures dropped by fatties and stuff?

Xevren

I don't even think you get skill points for completing, more for just what you pick up. You really don't get much for mercenary mode.

RedSwirl

Does Jake's campaign take a quantum leap forward after the first two chapters? Because those weren't very good. Ch.2 in particular was just bad.

News Bot

Banned
Easily the worse of the PS1 RE games. Very short and not as good as the previous one which hurt it. The nemesis idea was great though.

It was actually originally intended to be a gaiden game so you can probably see why its production values weren't as high and it re-used a lot of stuff from BH2 and was made in about half the time (only about one year), but it is still an amazing game with a lot of great improvements over the previous two, making CODE:Veronica feel archaic even when it came out. It is definitely not short. It's the same length as BH2, although comprised of only one scenario. I don't see this as a problem, though. The game still has a lot of replay value thanks to the multiple choices, branching paths and unlockable epilogues.

The PS1 trilogy are actually the only ones I really can't rate higher than each other. They all have pretty consistent quality and feel like the most varied entries in the series.

Skill points are based on final rank (S-E) afaik.

My question is do the skill points you pick up count? Like the treasures dropped by fatties and stuff?

I don't even think you get skill points for completing, more for just what you pick up. You really don't get much for mercenary mode.

ITT: Everybody confused about the reward system in Mercenaries (myself included, of course).

Can anyone shed a light on this?

Grisby

It seemed like I got a lot.
To unlock characters, you need
B rank on the different (default) merc levels. Can't recall which levels unlock which characters... pretty sure Public Assembly gets you Helena, the others I cannot recall
Thanks.

Does Jake's campaign take a quantum leap forward after the first two chapters? Because those weren't very good. Ch.2 in particular was just bad.

Chapter 2 had a culmination of a few bad ideas. So it gets better for Jake's campaign. Ignoring the first 10 minutes of Chapter 4 everything is miles better in Jake's campaign than Chapter 2.

EekTheKat

There sure are a lot of winks/nods/homages to classic Resident Evil games
the classic zombie death cam head turn was great
. Couldn't help but to at least smile a bit when they do come up.

I don't have the problems a lot of people seem to have with stagger/stuns. Instead of one shot like the old games it's basically a double tap for a limb stun (an old video someone did on the demo pointed this out, and it's true for the final game as well). As mentioned before after spending couple games adjusting to the new systems in combat and I felt like I was back where I left off in RE5.

IMHO, the actual gameplay is significantly better than what was in RE5. At a basic level, the out of the box remapped controls allow the newcomer to at least pick up and play, while the new gameplay mechanics (ducking/dodging has been surprisingly useful)give the game some depth over what was in RE5.

If you know you can get a 50+ combo you should definitely use Limit Breaker skill.
I think it multiplies your score by 3.
seems like it would be impossible to get 1,000,000+ without it.

Your reaction to this game is correct.

I hope you're not trying to say the unevenness present in 6 is equivalent in severity or quantity to the unevenness of RE4. (I know some people will say RE4 has no unevenness at all, but I don't need to get that extreme to make this point.) I get that some people don't like the island environment as much as the rest, but it was all pretty polished.

Of course not. I think RE4 is a vastly better designed game than this, but I think both have their ups and downs overall. I'm not really less, or more, disappointed in RE6 than I was with 4 and 5. With 4 and 5 I thought they were good games but didn't do much at all for me as an RE fan and I feel the same exact way about 6.

RE6 is such a weird game. It's not even that one chapter is good, one chapter is bad... it's more like, there are good and bad moments in each chapter. Pretty much everything involving the streets/downtown in China is so painfully terrible beyond recognition. I couldn't believe how bad some of that was. Then it would shift gears into something much more atmospheric and creepier and I'm suddenly enjoying the game again.

I just finished Jake's story though, let's see how I feel about the way Chris and Leon's ends. Jake's final chapter was actually very good with a pretty memorable final boss fight. Ups and downs.

Trigger

Finished Chris's campaign:
Why Piers? WHY? I'm happy I chose him for the majority of the campaign though. The random arm mutation segment was awesome. I wouldn't mind mutant Piers being a Mercenaries character. He was my favorite new person.

r4CiE.png

Leon 5 is the final chapter left.

Now now. Chapter 3 and 5 are awesome.

Eh, it was ok. I think most of my struggles came from not understanding the random mechanics thrown in.

Bladenic

Why Piers? WHY? I'm happy I chose him for the majority of the campaign though. The random arm mutation segment was awesome. I wouldn't mind mutant Piers being a Mercenaries character. He was my favorite new person.

r4CiE.png

Leon 5 is the final chapter left.

Omg yes. I was sad. Played as Chris though, of course. Would have never expected that to happen honestly.

I liked all of the new characters in this game, Sherry included since she's been MIA for so long. Helena was probably my least favorite but she was still cool. I had no idea Laura Bailey voiced Helena, great performance. Jake has the best voice actor though, obviously.

It was actually originally intended to be a gaiden game so you can probably see why its production values weren't as high and it re-used a lot of stuff from BH2 and was made in about half the time (only about one year), but it is still an amazing game with a lot of great improvements over the previous two, making CODE:Veronica feel archaic even when it came out. It is definitely not short. It's the same length as BH2, although comprised of only one scenario. I don't see this as a problem, though. The game still has a lot of replay value thanks to the multiple choices, branching paths and unlockable epilogues.

The PS1 trilogy are actually the only ones I really can't rate higher than each other. They all have pretty consistent quality and feel like the most varied entries in the series.

I like them all but RE3 felt like a huge dissapointment after RE2. And I feel there is a clear cut better game in the PS1 games, RE2 is just an absolute masterpiece.

AlexBasch

I thought he was going to blow himself up with a bomb and telling Chris to escape, didn't expect him to inject the C Virus, the shooting lightning was a bit over the top, but it's RE; everything is over the top. :D

Lucent

Can't believe how awful I am at mercenaries. Can't get more than 55k points and that's stretching it. :p

My highest so far is Leon with 122k. I just start off by breaking all the time things and gathering stuff along the way. Then I just focus on kicking ass. lol

Top Bottom