• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Iresecia

Neo Member
Why won't ResidentEvil.Net reflect the fact that I cleared Leon's scenario several days ago?

Try doing the auto upload feature. I did it just a moment ago and got my EX2 costume but I still can't get the option to unlock Ada's. It also says I only played mercs once... heh. I think it just has trouble staying up to date for some reason.

Noi

Why won't ResidentEvil.Net reflect the fact that I cleared Leon's scenario several days ago?

For the same reason it took 2 days for it to register that I beat the game, and 5 days for it to actually raise my Agent Level despite having 20 times the exp required.

These type of websites are never ready for the severe hammering they receive once their game launches.

Grisby

Holy shit. Fighting (big end spoilers)
Simmons as Ada
for like 20min was not fun. Just not fun. And it was going so well too.

Astral

I agree that this game lacks tension. Ustanak is supposed to be like Nemesis and yet except for
Chapter 2
I never felt like I was being stalked by him.
Every time he appeared it was during a cutscene and then I just fought him a bit and that's it. In RE3 I was constantly in fear of the next Nemesis attack. That wasn't the case here.
During Leon's Chapter 3
I didn't feel like I was in danger when Helena told me "Careful. That thing is still out there," during the shark part. Normally I would shit myself because I'm afraid of bodies of water and things that might be lurking inside, but in this case I just wasn't feeling it. I knew the shark wasn't actually gonna come out of nowhere and try to eat me. I just kept swimming and waited for the next scripted QTE where the shark tries to eat me.
During Chris Chapter 3,
I felt no tension during the snake section. Everything was really scripted so, like the shark, I didn't expect the snake to come out of nowhere and eat me. I think it should've been handled the same way as the Verdugo fight in RE4. At least when being stalked by Verdugo you had to constantly be prepared to Dodge. The same goes for U3.

I agree that this game lacks tension. Ustanak is supposed to be like Nemesis and yet except for
Chapter 2
Every time he appeared it was during a cutscene and then I just fought him a bit and that's it. In RE3 I was constantly in fear of the next Nemesis attack. That wasn't the case here.
During Leon's Chapter 3
I didn't feel like I was in danger when Helena told me "Careful. That thing is still out there," during the shark part. Normally I would shit myself because I'm afraid of bodies of water and things that might be lurking inside, but in this case I just wasn't feeling it. I knew the shark wasn't actually gonna come out of nowhere and try to eat me. I just kept swimming and waited for the next scripted QTE where the shark tries to eat me.
During Chris Chapter 3,
I felt no tension during the snake section. Everything was really scripted so, like the shark, I didn't expect the snake to come out of nowhere and eat me. I think it should've been handled the same way as the Verdugo fight in RE4. At least when being stalked by Verdugo you had to constantly be prepared to Dodge. The same goes for U3.

The worst is it actually tries to build tension but it totally fails.

Chris
Chapter 3 with the snake
drags for so long and is so anti-climatic...the actual fight is fun but the build up is horrendous.

Iresecia

Neo Member
Simmons as Ada
That was no fun on professional either. Especially when I got to the point where
Leon hopped over to help me out
and still managed to die 3 times. If I ever have to play through it on pro again, I'd probably take another weapon than just the crossbow unlimited. It was just no help at certain points. Even with the awesome exploding arrows.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
During Leon's Chapter 3

I dunno man, I was pretty creeped out during that whole thing, I kept thinking it would come out of nowhere and get me. The first time I saw that thing I actually cringed, the creature design on that thing was so disgusting lol.

Noi

Simmons as Ada

You're seriously meant to fight that boss with the other two partners, since they'd both be firing at him as well, while the AI barely does anything. Solo
Ada
does tha bare minimum damage and takes forever, ugh.

Edit: Just realized you didn't specify WHICH part of that boss fight, but it can apply to all of them, haha.

Honestly you guys and reviewers made it seem that there was a QTE every 10 seconds. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

If you count the QTE's when you're grabbed, when you combo some of the mutations, etc... well....they're right.

Agreed. I thought they were used relatively sparsely considering how long the campaigns are.

Reviews against this game were pretty brutal and I have no idea why. Anyone listen to the GameSpot podcast where they bring all the reviewers together to talk about it?

Probably it has to do with the fact some of these QTE's are really bad/annoying, even if they aren't that much maybe it does add that feel.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly you guys and reviewers made it seem that there was a QTE every 10 seconds. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Agreed. I thought they were used relatively sparsely considering how long the campaigns are.

Reviews against this game were pretty brutal and I have no idea why. Anyone listen to the GameSpot podcast where they bring all the reviewers together to talk about it?

Anyone listen to the GameSpot podcast where they bring all the reviewers together to talk about it?

Yeah it was one big hate fest. The didn't have one person there who liked it so it was extremely one sided. People say the person they scheduled to come to the show who enjoyed it had to bail but that still only says they had one person and one person only in defense of the game. Really pathetic podcast.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Chapter 2
During Leon's Chapter 3
During Chris Chapter 3,

The problem with this game trying to retain some of its horror elements is that you are almost never in danger (from the enemies anyway), at least on normal difficulty. Your character has such a broad arsenal of effective means to deal with enemies. I think the game would have been better (but even less "Resident Evil") if they had really doubled down on the combat system. Put combo counters into the main campaign, reward the player with additional wealth for more skillful play, and put something actually worth buying in the store. Also add some novel ideas that I can't think of because I'm not a game designer. A real hook for the combat. Capcom has extensive experience with those sorts of game economies (where skill is incentivized through material reward) from the Devil May Cry franchise.

To your specific comments, I agree about the
shark
but I actually liked the
snake
a fair amount. I think it's my favorite boss fight and one of the few things I think they executed really well. Like everything else, it went on just a little bit too long, but it was solid mechanically and visually, and if not fear, it prompted my full concentration during the encounter. If there was some kind of lead up to that battle, and that's what you're talking about, then I guess I agree with you that it's bad because I completely forgot it.

Ya, there's not nearly as many QTEs as reviewers made it out to be, but what little there are suck as usual.

They were probably counting stick wiggling when you get grabbed as a QTE even though that's been in the games since RE4. Still, the real QTEs that are there are often egregiously bad, so I can understand why they'd end up overestimating their frequency when looking back on their experience.

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah it was one big hate fest. The didn't have one person there who liked it so it was extremely one sided. People say the person they scheduled to come to the show who enjoyed it had to bail but that still only says they had one person and one person only in defense of the game. Really pathetic podcast.

Yeah, it's like I said in an earlier post about Brad from Giantbomb...for a while, all his hate talk was making me worried that I'd really not like the game, because I like the GB guys usually...but this time he was just playing the game from the start with hate glasses on. I still wish I could talk to him in person and call him out on how the partner characters were there just for co-op. I forget how he worded it exactly, but he basically made it sound like Helena and Piers were throwaway characters. What a load of shit...Piers maybe was for some of it, but Leon's campaign is all about Helena, and building her character. She was one of the more fully realized characters in the game.

vg260

The camera.... its so bad :(

Makes me want to cry.

I'm just starting playing this, and it's one of the worst I've ever seen in a third-person game. It's bordering on unplayable, and I'm generally pretty tolerant of camera issues. It's so jerky and all over the place. You can't even look around without it swinging wildly, making you lose all sense of direction. It's really like they purposely don't want you to look around. It is so bad indeed. RE5's camera never really stood out to me, but this is driving me nuts.

Grisby

You're seriously meant to fight that boss with the other two partners, since they'd both be firing at him as well, while the AI barely does anything. Solo
Ada
does tha bare minimum damage and takes forever, ugh.

Edit: Just realized you didn't specify WHICH part of that boss fight, but it can apply to all of them, haha.
It's the first part, the one you said. Freaking co-op. I usually don't mind when it's in SP games but in RE6 it feels too forced half of the time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, it's like I said in an earlier post about Brad from Giantbomb...for a while, all his hate talk was making me worried that I'd really not like the game, because I like the GB guys usually...but this time he was just playing the game from the start with hate glasses on. I still wish I could talk to him in person and call him out on how the partner characters were there just for co-op. I forget how he worded it exactly, but he basically made it sound like Helena and Piers were throwaway characters. What a load of shit...Piers maybe was for some of it, but Leon's campaign is all about Helena, and building her character. She was one of the more fully realized characters in the game.

I actually think Piers ended up as a great character while Helena was pretty dull.

Goddamn nobody has a consistent view on this game, lol.

Astral

To your specific comments, I agree about the
shark
but I actually liked the
snake
a fair amount. I think it's my favorite boss fight and one of the few things I think they executed really well. Like everything else, it went on just a little bit too long, but it was solid mechanically and visually, and if not fear, it prompted my full concentration during the encounter. If there was some kind of lead up to that battle, and that's what you're talking about, then I guess I agree with you that it's bad because I completely forgot it.

Yeah it's the stuff before the battle that I was referring to. The actual battle is fun but the stuff leading into it failed to instill fear imo.

Nori Chan

Got my first kill in agent hunt :D

kinda sort of lol I was a distraction and the chainsaw bow totally shredded Sherrys insides lol

I actually think Piers ended up as a great character while Helena was pretty dull.

I went in thinking I would hate Piers and I would like Helena. Turns out it was the complete opposite!

But yeah, this game really does have varied opinions, I've noticed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

LOL I thought Piers was pretty boring and Helena was really interesting; Leon's campaign revolves around her as much as it does around Leon. Actually I think Piers would be interesting if his character model didn't just look like a random marine with a scarf. His story arc was actually one of the better ones in the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I agree too. Piers existed largely to push back against Chris, and conflict is more interesting than harmony, even if it's through extremely rudimentary and generic army man dialogue.

The way Helena strings you along for the first couple of chapters is an awful plot contrivance, and other that her being mad about a bad thing that happens, and expressing some guilt, there's no real character there.

RedSwirl

49606_p1_Sanstitre-1.jpg

32155374.jpg

Those?

Which one is that?

Yeah, the front of the steelbook.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Also I really liked (Chris ending spoilers)
how they handled the last scene with Chris and Piers. In that whole scene I noticed that Piers didn't say a single word, which I thought was a lot more powerful than having him talk about the "greater good" and how he's beyond saving.
Say what you will about this game, I think the writing and cutscene direction was damn good.

Noi

It's the first part, the one you said. Freaking co-op. I usually don't mind when it's in SP games but in RE6 it feels too forced half of the time.

The other 3/4 player segments are just fine too. You'd think a vehicle constantly firing at him could hurt him more than two people on foot, but NOPE.

Got my first kill in agent hunt :D

kinda sort of lol I was a distraction and the chainsaw bow totally shredded Sherrys insides lol

Hey, as long as the hunt is successful, that's what counts. ;)

Sojgat

I just finished listening to 8-4 Play podcast, nobody there liked it either. No game "journalists" I've heard talk about the game have grasped the combat mechanics, and it's actually starting to get annoying. Yes the game makes a bad first impression, but nobody is making this stuff up, the combat is excellent. Capcom have hobbled it in stupid ways with the skills system, but once you start experimenting, the combat begins to click. I'm good at it now, and have also experienced all the cheap things the game throws at you, so on repeat plays on pro, I blow through the chapters. The game throws a lot of weird design and other problems at the player, but it's not insurmountable.

Damn, but the camera is still awful.

Astral

I agree too. Piers existed largely to push back against Chris, and conflict is more interesting than harmony, even if it's through extremely rudimentary and generic army man dialogue.

The way Helena strings you along for the first couple of chapters is an awful plot contrivance, and other that her being mad about a bad thing that happens, and expressing some guilt, there's no real character there.

I actually wanted to slap the shit out of Helena during the first couple of chapters. "I'll tell you when we get there. I'll tell you after I do this. It'll be better if you see it." Bitch, just tell me now! I let it slide though because there's this one point in the game where she makes an extremely cute pouty face.

Noi

I actually wanted to slap the shit out of Helena during the first couple of chapters. "I'll tell you when we get there. I'll tell you after I do this. It'll be better if you see it." Bitch, just tell me now! I let it slide though because there's this one point in the game where she makes an extremely cute pouty face.

Someone saying "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" to Leon Scott Kennedy takes some incredible stretching to be believable.

Nori Chan

Another hunt down! Spoilers for Leon's chapter 4

Played as the regenerator type bow. It was so awkward and cool at the same time. I hit him a couple times with my hand, but nothing too major. We were at the part where they were first introduced with the 3 keys. The guy could not get a way to the third key to save his life (no pun intended) and eventually me and the A.I. got him cornered to the the very beginning and then the a.i. got him. It was a really sick death cause he just eats leon's face and then a new one was born lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Played as the regenerator type bow. It was so awkward and cool at the same time. I hit him a couple times with my hand, but nothing too major. We were at the part where they were first introduced with the 3 keys. The guy could not get a way to the third key to save his life (no pun intended) and eventually me and the A.I. got him cornered to the the very beginning and then the a.i. got him. It was a really sick death cause he just eats leon's face and then a new one was born lol

Oh god I would never want to play against that enemy type in Agent Hunt. *shiver*

Nori Chan

Oh god I would never want to play against that enemy type in Agent Hunt. *shiver*

Yeah those were really one of the creepiest ones tbh. I honestly think they're worse than the regenerators from 4 for me when it comes to being scared. I just hate facing these enemies when you hear their screams and how they can pop out of nowhere and you can't tell if they're still alive or not. Great monster design though lol

Scratch

Yeah those were really one of the creepiest ones tbh. I honestly think they're worse than the regenerators from 4 for me when it comes to being scared. I just hate facing these enemies when you hear their screams and how they can pop out of nowhere and you can't tell if they're still alive or not. Great monster design though lol

even if you kill them...they still come back after a while... it's horrible.

Riposte

I wondered how silly I would look if after all my defending of the demo I didn't end up liking the game... But I do indeed like it. I don't think I like it more than Binary Domain right now, but I like it. Especially the Chris/Piers campaign (@ Chapter 4's start atm. Chapter 3 Jake, Chapter 2 Leon.)

What I don't see this game getting enough credit for is how it crosses campaigns. Putting aside how difficult it might be to find other pairs in the future, the design around it is smart and the concept is very novel. Probably the funniest experience I had playing this game was someone with a mic losing his shit over this. "This game got four man co-op? OMG!!"

This is on top of how good co-op is designed (in Chris's campaign, anyway). I get a lot of satisfaction sniping as Piers, covering some dude I picked up online. I always felt RE5 was above the caliber of typical co-op, and they took it to another level with this one. As far as I am concerned there should be no nagging on the fact these games have co-op. It is not shoehorned and this is an advancement on the idea.

One of my biggest gripes with the game is how confusing I find joining a game late. I rely on this mainly because no one ever joins me in my lobby and rarely do they join me in the middle of a game (and I'm not playing this co-op offline yet because I don't want to wait on someone).

So the main problem is... I've never gotten credit for clearing a chapter unless I was there from the beginning (which means taking part in the chapter before). What am I missing? That would be quite a poor design choice to punish joiners like that, especially since you can't filter it by lobby. Not understanding this (and experimenting with it) has lead me to replay missions. I ended up doing Chris Chapter 2 like four times lol... I've killed a lot of Ogromen, or w/e.

Also you seem start with very little ammo after wiping your progress (in other words: switch characters/campaign). This comes up a lot if you are playing the game by the order listed in the OP (for the storyline or w/e). I really noticed this in Chris campaign where the game is clearly designed around Piers using his sniper rifle to get rid of turrets, snipers, and RPGs (among other scenarios). Dropping yourself right into a game in progress (though the beginning of Chapter 2 counts too) with zero sniper ammo sort of breaks the design I'd say. So with that in mind I can't recommend playing this way. One of the ways I have adapted to this is equip the drop increase skill.

One unimportant thought I'll just squeeze in... if Capcom was really smart they would have ended the prologue with both characters being brutally (gore-y) killed, giving the player the idea that he was leading his characters into a hopeless situation.

EDIT: If you are playing this on Normal, then you made a poor choice I'd say. Just by judging the main game vs the demo, you really see why this game is meant to be played on Professional, if not at least Veteran.

For me, Chris's campaign feels like a third-person COD wannabe. Jake's campaign reminds me of Uncharted for some reason. But I love Leon's campaign.

Still wish Jill was in this. :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Cause Shane's agreements are pretty poor.

Really? I agree with pretty much everything he is saying. That's how I feel about the game. I feel like people are shitting on this game for things that every game has (invisible walls, QTEs, scripted moments), but for some reason they decided to bomb RE6's score.

Edit: I'll say the game's mechanics could be better (camera, aiming, cover system), but everything else about the campaigns was great.

Replicant

Pretty much. I want Helena either to shut up or start telling me the truth already.

Moar like he
takes a dump on your face, stuffing you with big fleshy thing then you give birth to a new creature from your chest
. Fucking nasty. I did have fun playing as that and spewing acid all over Helena and Leon though. AHAHAHAHAHA.

Doing Leon Ch. 4 - Chris Ch. 4- Jake Ch. 5 is my favorite run of chapters. All very well designed. The tension rose well and the story took a few unexpected twists.
only thing I didn't like was that one stupid cutscene between chris and jake at the end about Wesker. It made no sense. The ending was fairly open ended and felt off as well.

Now on to complete chris and leons campaign.
is Adas campaign about as long as the other 3. I know she has the same amount of chapters.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How many bonuses are there in Urban Chaos? I find 5 time bonuses but apparently that's not all? Also can only find 2 combo bonuses.

There are two on each side, and then two in the middle. One on top of a bus, and one next to a bus. 6 total.

I only know one combo bonus though...

Really? I agree with pretty much everything he is saying. That's how I feel about the game. I feel like people are shitting on this game for things that every game has (invisible walls, QTEs, scripted moments), but for some reason they decided to bomb RE6's score.

Edit: I'll say the game's mechanics could be better (camera, aiming, cover system), but everything else about the campaigns was great.
Other reviews say that these things have been increased to an inexcusable degree. I wouldn't know, I havent played the game aside from the demo . Though i have been watching an LP and there are some things that seem questionable. The mechanics of the game seem shoddy compared to its contemporaries from what I have played. And the ridiculous notion that this game should not be compared to the previous games...of course its going to be compared, regardless if he wants it to or not.

Probably the most laughable part is him claiming that the controls and camera feel exactly the same as RE5. They most certainly do not. TSA was more convincing than Shane.

Now on to complete chris and leons campaign.
is Adas campaign about as long as the other 3. I know she has the same amount of chapters.

The shortest, I'd say. For me, longest to shortest: Leon-Chris-Jake-Ada.

Other reviews say that these things have been increased to an inexcusable degree. I wouldn't know, I havent played the game aside from the demo . Though i have been watching an LP and there are some things that seem questionable. The mechanics of the game seem shoddy compared to its contemporaries from what I have played. And the ridiculous notion that this game should not be compared to the previous games...of course its going to be compared, regardless if he wants it to or not.

QTEs aren't nearly as abundant as some reviews suggest and I'd say there are about as many scripted sequences as in Uncharted. Mechanically, I think RE6's combat smokes Uncharted and Gears'. A bit obtuse at first, but once learned, it has pretty insane flow. You can do all sorts of crazy shit like pull off an auto aim hipshot, realize there's a guy behind you, roll forward into a prone state, turn 180 degrees upon landing, blow him away with a shotgun, get up, slide through another group of enemies - planting a remote mine mid-slide, then detonate it as the enemies explode into a glorious meat shower. Of course, you can just assault enemies with wrestling moves that make their heads explode if you're into that.

Jharp

Hey guys, for anyone that's disappointed in Resident Evil's trend towards action and away from horror, I'd just like to say that Silent Hill: Downpour, also released this year, is excellent, subtle, creepy-as-fuck, loaded-to-the-brim-with-puzzles horror.

That is all.

Top Bottom