• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sojgat

I found another one, on the side when you go up the ladder that has the time bonus on top, turn and face outside the stage, up high to the right there it is on some scaffolding:)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Other reviews say that these things have been increased to an inexcusable degree. I wouldn't know, I havent played the game aside from the demo . Though i have been watching an LP and there are some things that seem questionable. The mechanics of the game seem shoddy compared to its contemporaries from what I have played. And the ridiculous notion that this game should not be compared to the previous games...of course its going to be compared, regardless if he wants it to or not.

Probably the most laughable part is him claiming that the controls and camera feel exactly the same as RE5. They most certainly do not. TSA was more convincing than Shane.

I'll agree that the controls and camera are different, and while the camera is undoubtedly worse I think the controls are much better (as long as you don't use cover, which is a really useless mechanic).

However, I do agree with him that it shouldn't be compared to the previous games, at least insofar as the review score is concerned. Yes you should mention that it's not scary and is no longer about exploration like the old RE games were, but you shouldn't give it a shitty score based on that fact; if it plays well as an action game, then it should get a score commensurate with that fact. I mean a 3/10 for this game just doesn't make sense to me at all based on what I have played of it (the first 3 campaigns completed).

Sojgat

I can forgive this game nearly all it's crap just for Merc Mode, I want more maps. How much were the RE5 ones in terms of microsoft points? I'm guessing RE6 ones will be similar.

To anyone that liked the beginning of J-4 please explain what they liked about it? Because it sure as shit cannot be the fucking terrible handling.

Yeah in case you haven't noticed that part of the game has scarred me 4 lyfe.

BTW L-4's boss was the most fucked up looking thing ever.

I'll agree that the controls and camera are different, and while the camera is undoubtedly worse I think the controls are much better (as long as you don't use cover, which is a really useless mechanic).

However, I do agree with him that it shouldn't be compared to the previous games, at least insofar as the review score is concerned. Yes you should mention that it's not scary and is no longer about exploration like the old RE games were, but you shouldn't give it a shitty score based on that fact; if it plays well as an action game, then it should get a score commensurate with that fact. I mean a 3/10 for this game just doesn't make sense to me at all based on what I have played of it (the first 3 campaigns completed).
I don't think they're basing it solely on that it's "not resident evil enough", at least the reviews I've read. Some reviewers don't think it plays as well as its contemporaries in Gears, Uncharted, Dead Space and Vanquish, and the scores reflect that.

Noi

Replicant enjoys Agent Hunt too much. ;_;

Lemme tongue you with Lepotitsa!

Why do I never join a map that lets me play as Lepotitsa? :(

To anyone that liked the beginning of J-4 please explain what they liked about it? Because it sure as shit cannot be the fucking terrible handling.

Stop holding on to the accelerator 24/7.

Xevren

After playing this section I agree with your hate for it. That bike controls beyond terribly.

Replicant

Why do I never join a map that lets me play as Lepotitsa? :(

I don't think there is any, is there? It's just my wishful thinking. Otherwise I'd be running around, forcing my tongue on player's character's throat. And spread gas if they try to shoot me. :)

In other words, make it happen Capcom!!

I don't know what to hate about Jake's bike sequence. It controls quite easily (normal though), camera doesn't do funny shit like Chris' level 5 chase, and after a few trial/error, you'd remember where are the obstacles.

Noi

I don't think there is any, is there? It's just my wishful thinking. Otherwise I'd be running around, forcing my tongue on player's character's throat. And spread gas if they try to shoot me. :)

In other words, make it happen Capcom!!

I don't know what to hate about Jake's bike sequence. It controls quite easily (normal though), camera doesn't do funny shit like Chris' level 5 chase, and after a few trial/error, you'd remember where are the obstacles.

Then why did you... nevermind then! I've still got a few missing medals for playing as creatures, so I just assumed that was the case!

The key to Jake 4 is to realize the accelerator is not an automatic win button. Your handling turns to shit when driving at max speed, who would have thunk it.

Nemesis_

Lemme tongue you with Lepotitsa!

ws9A8.gif

Iresecia

Neo Member
Wondering if I should start Chris's professional tonight or just finish up the emblem on Leon. Chris is my last pro campaign I gotta do. Tough choice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The key to Jake 4 is to realize the accelerator is not an automatic win button. Your handling turns to shit when driving at max speed, who would have thunk it.

Yeah I died 6 times before figuring this out. :/

Wondering if I should start Chris's professional tonight or just finish up the emblem on Leon. Chris is my last pro campaign I gotta do. Tough choice.

Got any tips for a Pro run? Trying to figure out whether I want to attempt it or not.

I saw the GB Quick Look earlier today and was a bit confused. Listening to the guys at GB, the game felt poor, lacking in the gameplay department while being very cheap. But something was off. I kind of felt like the guy playing the game in this quick look was either very bad at it or was simply trying to play badly to prove his point. To me, the game didn't felt terrible at all. I didn't think much of it after reading all the impressions on gaf but this quick look didn't cement the thought. In fact, it kind of broke it.

Later during the day, I went to my friend's house and then I saw him playing the game on PS3. In fact I saw Leon 3 and Chris 3. I thought it looked very fun so I went out and immediately bought the game on 360. At first I was a bit skeptical of this move. Seemed way too impulsive for my own good. We then proceeded to do Chris 1 > Chris 2 > Jake 1 > Jake 2 > Leon 1 in local co-op on 360 and overall we had a real blast. Really we thought it was fantastic all the time, with lots of "oh shit" moments. I can't even remember how many times we looked at each other wondering how the fuck could this game receive 3s and 4s from reviewers. Scores like that belong to stuff like Sonic 2006. This game is not broken, nor is it technically incompetent or awful. It's a damn good game.

It's not perfect. There's a lot of QTE but it's not intrusive QTE. RE4 had this. Old RE games kind of had this (get rid of zombies). We also died from cheap death a couple of times on each chapters but really it didn't matter to us because we had so much fun. Framerate is surprisingly damn good in local co-op. No major slowdown at all.

We did not have any problem with the camera or the combat mechanics either. The only thing I find bad is the cover system. Seems like only a select few walls work with it.

Also, the graphics are stunning. The lighting is sublime. Some textures are so so and shadows can get pixelated at time but if that was the price to pay for such an amazing engine I gladly accept the trade.

Overall, I am shocked regarding what seems to be the consensus on this game. Really, WTF?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the GB Quick Look earlier today and was a bit confused. Listening to the guys at GB, the game felt poor, lacking in the gameplay department while being very cheap. But something was off. I kind of felt like the guy playing the game in this quick look was either very bad at it or was simply trying to play badly to prove his point. To me, the game didn't felt terrible at all. I didn't think much of it after reading all the impressions on gaf but this quick look didn't cement the thought. In fact, it kind of broke it.

Later during the day, I went to my friend's house and then I saw him playing the game on PS3. In fact I saw Leon 3 and Chris 3. I thought it looked very fun so I went out and immediately bought the game on 360. At first I was a bit skeptical of this move. Seemed way too impulsive for my own good. We then proceeded to do Chris 1 > Chris 2 > Jake 1 > Jake 2 > Leon 1 in local co-op on 360 and overall we had a real blast. Really we thought it was fantastic all the time, with lots of "oh shit" moments. I can't even remember how many times we looked at each other wondering how the fuck could this game receive 3s and 4s from reviewers. Scores like that belong to stuff like Sonic 2006. This game is not broken, nor is it technically incompetent or awful. It's a damn good game.

It's not perfect. There's a lot of QTE but it's not intrusive QTE. RE4 had this. Old RE games kind of had this (get rid of zombies). We also died from cheap death a couple of times on each chapters but really it didn't matter to us because we had so much fun. Framerate is surprisingly damn good in local co-op. No major slowdown at all.

We did not have any problem with the camera or the combat mechanics either. The only thing I find bad is the cover system. Seems like only a select few walls work with it.

Also, the graphics are stunning. The lighting is sublime. Some textures are so so and shadows can get pixelated at time but if that was the price to pay for such an amazing engine I gladly accept the trade.

Overall, I am shocked regarding what seems to be the consensus on this game. Really, WTF?

Pretty much. I have no idea what half those reviewers were smoking.

Seik

Banned

Yep it was damn fun, discovering co-op campaign all over again with you multiplied the fun even more. Seriously...wtf with these reviews! :p

The game looks great indeed, can't wait to see how amazing the PC version will look. 60fps will be delicious as well.

Noi

Got any tips for a Pro run? Trying to figure out whether I want to attempt it or not.

Professional is super easy compared to RE4/5. I would have started on professional had I known this instead of Veteran, and the only skills I use are Firearm/Melee/X Killer.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Professional is super easy compared to RE4/5. I would have started on professional had I known this instead of Veteran, and the only skills I use are Firearm/Melee/X Killer.

I've been using Firearm/Defense/Item Drop for my Normal playthrough and it has served me well. You think the skills you listed are better for Pro than my loadout?

Noi

I've been using Firearm/Defense/Item Drop for my Normal playthrough and it has served me well. You think the skills you listed are better for Pro than my loadout?

Eh, it's kind of personal preference. I use both firearm and melee because I love the instant feedback on shooting stuff, and I'm a melee hound (Jake is my favorite to play as, followed by Sherry). I'm a "high risk/high reward" type of player by nature, so I just roll with maximum offense and try to dodge everything. Plus, since X Killer applies to both, my melee attacks kill most J'avo with the basic 3 hit combo, so I save time and ammo. Plus with Firearm level 3, some of the bosses go down in no time. Just ask JoeFenix.

The only thing I wish I had is breakout, but zombies do enough damage with grabs that if I was gonna take a lot of damage/enter dying, breakout wouldn't have changed that.

Neiteio

Yep! It's good to see most people who try the full game, despite the reviews, really digging it. Some of these reviews baffle me more than GI giving Sleeping Dogs a 7. I think the LTTPs will be interesting.

I just finished Jake Chapter 4. HOLY SHIT at the
chainsaw monster
. First of all, that is some fucking awesome monster design
(its chainsaw is a ribcage!)
, and second of all, the super close quarters on the second encounter forced me to slide under his swings repeatedly. That was tense!

Noi

It's good to see most people who try the full game, despite the reviews, really digging it. I think the LTTPs will be interesting.

I just finished Jake Chapter 4. HOLY SHIT at the
chainsaw monster
. First of all, that is some fucking awesome monster design
(its chainsaw is a ribcage!)
, and second of all, the super close quarters on the second encounter forced me to slide under his swings repeatedly. That was tense!

Out of curiosity, where did you shoot that BOW?

It's weakpoint is actually inside the chainsaw. The small red thing inside it is it's heart. Previous REs teach you to shoot it in the head, but doing that does nothing special!

Neiteio

Out of curiosity, where did you shoot that BOW?

It's weakpoint is actually inside the chainsaw. The small red thing inside it is it's heart. Previous REs teach you to shoot it in the head, but doing that does nothing special!
Wow, really? That makes it even more badass from a monster design standpoint! That must also explain why my second attempt finished the monster faster than my first attempt (in which I died). It's definitely not on a timer, as my two attempts played out wildly differently. Also, I love how doggedly persistent that creature was, storywise. And the way it finally gets killed for good is badass. :)

Has anyone unlocked the charcters on RE.net? Do you actually get different weapons or are they just pallet swaps. I cant see any of the weapons you get.

Noi

Wow, really? That makes it even more badass from a monster design standpoint! That must also explain why my second attempt finished the monster faster than my first attempt (in which I died). It's definitely not on a timer, as my two attempts played out wildly differently. Also, I love how doggedly persistent that creature was, storywise. And the way it finally gets killed for good is badass. :)

Yeah, that's one of the few boss fights that I'm 100% sure isn't on a timer. Depending on where you shoot/how much assistance you get from
Ada,
that section can end pretty quickly. Speaking of
Ada, if you look hard enough, you can actually see her walking around the upper catwalks during the whole section. ;) It's one of her co-op segments during her campaign.

God... I freaking suck with Ada in mercs. The crossbow is horrid. Even the exploding arrows (which are boss in the normal game) suck ass in mercs. They don't even kill, it's just an AOE knockdown. The exploding oxygen tanks on firemen do more damage.

And she doesn't have shit for items. Really frustrating... I tried some randoms for help, but they all sucked and kept dying. So then I have to go medic and they still die!

lol... oh Ada.

1) Equip Target Master.

2) Only play on maps with J'avo (Steel Beast, High Seas Fortress, Rail Yard)

3) Profit!

If you must play on a map with Zombies use Item Drop Increase and spam the Ammo Box and Pipe Bombs.

EDIT: Use a quick shot with the crossbow on anything nearby. Normal Arrows will pin them to the ground, and the second arrow will kill them (with Target Master). A single Pipe Bomb will kill anything on High Seas Fortress with it equipped. Two Pipe Bombs will kill Napads on Steel Beast. And I have no idea what mini-boss is on Rail Yard since I don't have the map. (fires grappling gun, zips away)

Kwanzaa Tim

Neo Member
Had the opportunity to play the PS3 version with a buddy today, and we actually finished Leon's entire story arc. The camera is just as wonky in split screen as it is online or solo-- but I came into it knowing that. After I sort of ran through Mercs with him, showing what you could do, I think we both really enjoyed the co-op romp with the new understanding of what you can do. Whoever posted the Merc video to help me earlier, that was an excellent idea--- and a great way to show someone how to deal with combat scenarios on all characters, Helena's quickshots are so boss, glad I had a chance to play as her. While the narrative was.. meh, at least I got to experience it with a friend who enjoyed it enough to spend the better part of the day playing it.

So I come back home to try and knock out some more of Chris's solo tonight, and I'm... kinda shocked. Has there been anything said about the differences between the ps3 and 360 versions? The game looked fine there and here, brightness tweaks notwithstanding-- but something is "off" with the controls on the 360 now that I've played it on the Ps3. Most assuredly, things I was pulling off just hours ago with no problem are now again hard to execute----- It really feels like I've got lag between what I press on my controller and what happens on screen. I don't have a PS3 to test, but has anyone else said anything about it?

Just kind of ruins the flow I finally got into via our PS3 clear today-- like for example: I'd be trying to aim down the sight, and there was enough lag that it quickshotted instead... and not just a few times, but a lot of times, making my stamina just get drained. I doubt its the controller (though 360 pads have huge problems with analog stick sway after a while).

I'm going to try digging out my wired controller to see if that makes a difference, and I hope it does. I'd be really bummed knowing that I was doing so well not because I finally "got it", but rather that I had "gotten it" and the lag was causing most of my inputs to get jammed together.

Something is just "off" now.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Had the opportunity to play the PS3 version with a buddy today, and we actually finished Leon's entire story arc. The camera is just as wonky in split screen as it is online or solo-- but I came into it knowing that. After I sort of ran through Mercs with him, showing what you could do, I think we both really enjoyed the co-op romp with the new understanding of what you can do. Whoever posted the Merc video to help me earlier, that was an excellent idea--- and a great way to show someone how to deal with combat scenarios on all characters, Helena's quickshots are so boss, glad I had a chance to play as her. While the narrative was.. meh, at least I got to experience it with a friend who enjoyed it enough to spend the better part of the day playing it.

So I come back home to try and knock out some more of Chris's solo tonight, and I'm... kinda shocked. Has there been anything said about the differences between the ps3 and 360 versions? The game looked fine there and here, brightness tweaks notwithstanding-- but something is "off" with the controls on the 360 now that I've played it on the Ps3. Most assuredly, things I was pulling off just hours ago with no problem are now again hard to execute----- It really feels like I've got lag between what I press on my controller and what happens on screen. I don't have a PS3 to test, but has anyone else said anything about it?

Just kind of ruins the flow I finally got into via our PS3 clear today-- like for example: I'd be trying to aim down the sight, and there was enough lag that it quickshotted instead... and not just a few times, but a lot of times, making my stamina just get drained. I doubt its the controller (though 360 pads have huge problems with analog stick sway after a while).

I'm going to try digging out my wired controller to see if that makes a difference, and I hope it does. I'd be really bummed knowing that I was doing so well not because I finally "got it", but rather that I had "gotten it" and the lag was causing most of my inputs to get jammed together.

Something is just "off" now.
Could be your TV having more lag?

Based on these tests the 360 version has a frame or two more of input lag, but it's 8+ frames of lag on both which is pretty atrocious. I imagine that each additional frame of lag caused by TVs and whatnot just makes the game feel exponentially worse when it's already at 8-9 frames of lag.

These emblems are a pain to find. Unless your actively looking for them most of them are easily missed. Gonna try to find them all before I start my professional run. Dat Sherry EX2 figure, so delicious.

IrishNinja

holy shit, i beat leon's campaign and (co-op) cannot beat chris' 3rd or so area with
the car chase with ada
...i'm shooting, partner's driving, any advice, besides "switch to easy"? can't seem to finish this worth a shit.

honestly though, this is up there with the rope sequence..who the fuck told capcom "yeah, RE fans want a low-rent Outrun sequence"

Carbonox

Going through Veteran now and on Chapter 4.

Having the mechanics down means I have a ridiculous amount of ammo now. I melee most enemies so it's nice to be drowning in bullets. Though it can make picking up herbs annoying as I'd need to discard something to pick them up.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I'm a bit late since I know you've gotten some responses but I pretty much just take an unlimited magnum, quick recovery 2, and defense 3. For my pro runs. Really you might be able to do without the quick recovery, but it helps if you're playing solo since my AI can be pretty dumb at times. I just try to keep my distance and avoid getting grabbed. And it's nowhere near as hard as RE5's professional and I haven't played RE4's pro all the way through.

Also if you go for the unlimited magnum, make sure to throw away some ammo. Really, you won't need it. Like maybe keep sniper ammo and reload guns that aren't fully loaded but always discard excess. That will give you more space for herbs and first aid sprays.

Carbonox

Speaking of AI, which ties in to why I have too much ammo on Veteran mode, I use the L1+O method for my partner to target the enemies while I just sit back and watch. Pretty fun watching the AI partner take everyone on on their own. I did it in Chapter 1 towards the latter stages and occasionally do it every so often still. Unless I have a horde running at me of course.

Ken

What kind of scores are people getting in solo Mercenaries? It seem really hard to even kill all 150 enemies alone because I either lack the firepower or ammo by the time the special units come out.

Best I can do is about 157k on Urban Chaos which is kind of embarrassing. u.u

Also dogs are annoying.

Finished Jake's Campaign earlier and
unlocked Ada's campaign

IMO Jake's was better than leon's and chris' campaigns. Really enjoyed that one over those 2.

Anyway I'll throw a quick review, this game was mediocre at best. Man they managed to do good things in the game but also managed to fuck it up with stupid shit.

Guys I played some mercs last night and as much as I like it, why am I only allowed access to one map? The other two are blacked out. Are they the preorder bonus maps?

All I have is Urban Chaos and it's not a map you could play over and over again.

Campaign wise we beat Leon 3 last night, it was crap!

Nemesis_

Steel Beast and Mining the Depths are unlocked by completing Chris' Campaign and Jake's campaign respectively.

Three MORE maps (Rail Yard, Catacombs and High Seas Fortress) exist as pre-order bonuses only.

Ken

Mercenaries is still as fun as ever. Don't really like the skill system much though as there's really only a handful of skills viable in score chasing. Much preferred the perks system from Mercenaries 3D where there was some flexibility in what you took in. Yeah, it was usually the same 2~3 sets of perks but it was fun experimenting.

What kind of scores are people getting in solo Mercenaries? It seem really hard to even kill all 150 enemies alone because I either lack the firepower or ammo by the time the special units come out.

Best I can do is about 157k on Urban Chaos which is kind of embarrassing. u.u

Also dogs are annoying.

1,145,083 is my highest in Duo
450K in Solo.(though I don't play solo much)

Had 2 people join my game from Agent Hunt at the start of Chris 4. I searched everywhere but couldn't find them.

Top Bottom