• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

beastmode

The demo is a poor representation of the game because you suck at it at first. A single session of the first village arena in RE4 probably would've given a bad first impression, too.

Lucentto

Banned
I politely beg to differ: I hated the demo, and it was only on a whim trying it a couple more times (days later) that it finally "clicked" for me. :)

The full game offers way more varied combat scenarios and interesting levels. The full version of Leon Chapter 1 and 2, in particular, would've been right at home in RE4. Remember to dial back the camera (set it to Speed 2) and dial up the aiming (set it to Speed 7) and make sure you toggle on the laser sight. Also remember that cover is only for quickly restoring stamina and taking out the occasional sniper or turret (though you can tell your AI partner to attack those by aiming at the enemy and tapping Circle to paint the target).

Again, check out the tips and tricks -- some reviewers (including on that podcast, I believe) didn't even know you could roll! -- and remember to always be in the thick of the fray, the center of the fight. The game gels so well this way. Incredible fun. :)

I would agree that the full game offers more interesting combat situations. Though I would say that the general feel of the game, not just gameplay, is displayed in the demo.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I like about this game? Each chapter can be a whole film on it's own. In RE4 and 5, the set pieces would have been broken up into sub-chapters, but in RE6, most chapters contain varied environments and situations, and are 1 to 1 1/2 hours long.

Example (Jake chapter 2):
Jake and Sherry are on a covert mission because Jake's blood is important, but suddenly they're attacked by a creature called Ustanak, their nemesis. After Ustanak crashes their helicopter on a frozen tundra, the two must avoid the creature and other monsters while searching through a snow covered mountain for data drives that could help save the world. In the thrilling conclusion, Jake and Sherry go face to face with the Ustanak, sneaking past him and his monster allies in a tense ice cave stealth mission, and finally taking the creature down through teamwork and the power of heavy machinery.

Haha I agree! The chapters in this game really are quite exciting and I personally don't think there's a boring one in the entire game.

I'm in the same boat, except I haven't even bought the game yet. I think it was Mark who said the demo quite representative of the game as a whole (from what he's played), and I thought the demo was pretty poor. I'm still going to end up playing it because I have to (I'm an RE fan) but this game doesn't even sound fun to play.

The 8-4 Play podcast was an unmitigated hatefest. Listen to the Game Informer podcast or the Co-Optimus podcast, those both showed a different side of the game (the Co-Optimus one had a guy who disliked RE6 and a guy who liked RE6, so it's pretty interesting).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've pretty much completed everything (Leon, Chris 4/5 Jake done), and the demo represents it as well as a demo could. If you absolutely hated it, you'll probably hate the full game.

I thought the demo is really is representative of the game, if you didn't like the demo, stay away. This game does have some bits and pieces that are good though.
I disagree,
absolutely hated the demo but loved the full game.
id say the demo levels were easily the worst sections from the game

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, is this the order I use or the one in the OP? Any input would be nice. :)

I played through the one in the OP and I really enjoyed how the stories meshed together in that order. This one is technically correct but I would suggest to play Chris Chapter 2 as early as possible since it sets up things that I think tie into the rest of the game.

I disagree,
absolutely hated the demo but loved the full game.
id say the demo levels were easily the worst sections from the game

People who didn't like the game say the demo is representative because they didn't like both. People who liked the game say the demo is not representative because they didn't like the demo.

General consensus: the demo sucks balls. I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not you will enjoy the full game. My opinion is that Jake and Chris' sections in the demo are easily the most boring sections in their entire campaign.

beastmode

I played through the one in the OP and I really enjoyed how the stories meshed together in that order. This one is technically correct but I would suggest to play Chris Chapter 2 as early as possible since it sets up things that I think tie into the rest of the game.
Like what?

People who didn't like the game say the demo is representative because they didn't like both. People who liked the game say the demo is not representative because they didn't like the demo.

General consensus: the demo sucks balls. I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not you will enjoy the full game. My opinion is that Jake and Chris' sections in the demo are easily the most boring sections in their entire campaign.
which is pretty stupid because that level of Chris' starts to get good exactly where the demo leaves off.
he had the least interesting demo but by far my favorite campaign overall.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Like what?

I already went into this but
I think playing Chris 1 and 2 first is good because Chris 2 and Jake 1 intersect, so playing them close together makes more sense. Essentially even though Chris 2 is only a flashback, it occurs at the same time as Jake 1 and Jake 2, so I liked seeing those events first and then playing the rest of the game, which is set in the "now", later.

Astral

I just had the most satisfying session of Agent Hunt yet. It was in Jake's Chapter 3 and I eventually got to use the lizard. I found them in some room with a pillar somewhere in the far middle. They planted a bomb in the middle of the room. If it was a normal stupid A.I. then that would've worked, but I just stayed back near the middle shooting them with needles and hiding behind the pillar whenever I needed to regain stamina. This is when they realize I'm human and shit gets real. I think they ran out of ammo because Sherry kept trying to shoot me with the Sniper Rifle and Jake had to lie down behind a fallen table so I wouldn't hit him. Eventually Jake kills me with melee attacks.

When I respawn I hunt them again and after a few chases we end up in the same room, so I just use the same exact strategy. Jake wasn't having that so he tried to melee me. Unfortunately for him, he ran out of stamina and was too stupid to regain it or something because he kept trying to attack me with those wimpy kicks. Sherry kept failing to shoot me with the Sniper Rifle and I eventually shot Jake to death. Mission accomplished.

Riposte

Leon's demo was pretty rudimentary in terms of enemies, featured the most of that "forced" walking/semi-tutorial section, and featured the silliest "QTE" in the game, if not one of the silliest this side of Heavy Rain. The other two were at least okay. The bigger problem is that they were all on normal difficulty, which sucks.

Hm, is this the order I use or the one in the OP? Any input would be nice. :)

The order in the OP factors in presentation more I'd say. Ending with Jake 5 is just silly. In fact if you had to play the whole campaigns at once, then Jake -> Chris -> Leon makes the most sense I'd say.

My advice is that you pick one character from each campaign and stick with them. Otherwise things can get messy in terms of resources.

Replicant

I just had the most satisfying session of Agent Hunt yet. It was in Jake's Chapter 3 and I eventually got to use the lizard. I found them in some room with a pillar somewhere in the far middle. They planted a bomb in the middle of the room. If it was a normal stupid A.I. then that would've worked, but I just stayed back near the middle shooting them with needles and hiding behind the pillar whenever I needed to regain stamina. This is when they realize I'm human and shit gets real. I think they ran out of ammo because Sherry kept trying to shoot me with the Sniper Rifle and Jake had to lie down behind a fallen table so I wouldn't hit him. Eventually Jake kills me with melee attacks.

When I respawn I hunt them again and after a few chases we end up in the same room, so I just use the same exact strategy. Jake wasn't having that so he tried to melee me. Unfortunately for him, he ran out of stamina and was too stupid to regain it or something because he kept trying to attack me with those wimpy kicks. Sherry kept failing to shoot me with the Sniper Rifle and I eventually shot Jake to death. Mission accomplished.

HAHAHAHA. That's really nice. I like it when people are panicking when they realize that their enemy is not an AI.

In other note, I got 1 of my 2 Steelbooks. It looks nice. Can't wait to unwrap it tonight. Glad I bought the normal version too though because I don't think I could have waited for a week to play before this one arrived:

XPtb6.jpg

beastmode

Leon's demo was pretty rudimentary in terms of enemies, featured the most of that "forced" walking/semi-tutorial section, and featured the silliest "QTE" in the game, if not one of the silliest this side of Heavy Rain. The other two were at least okay. The bigger problem is that they were all on normal difficulty, which sucks.

The order in the OP factors in presentation more I'd say. Ending with Jake 5 is just silly. In fact if you had to play the whole campaigns at once, then Jake -> Chris -> Leon makes the most sense I'd say.

My advice is that you pick one character from each campaign and stick with them. Otherwise things can get messy in terms of resources.
The only thing that would be better is Chris ending instead of Jake, which isn't how it works in the original order or chronologically.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Replicant are you really going to play all those versions you buy? If not, why unwrap them?

Also does anyone know if the pre-order exclusive maps are going to be released as free DLC, or if we will have to buy them?

The only thing that would work better is Chris being the ending instead of Jake, which isn't how it works in the original order or chronologically.

You know technically we could go into the cutscene viewer, which has time stamps for all the cutscenes, and figure out exactly what the chronological order should be. I just liked the way it was posted in the OP since the story flowed well that way.

YoungOne

which is pretty stupid because that level of Chris' starts to get good exactly where the demo leaves off.
he had the least interesting demo but by far my favorite campaign overall.
Yea, I think Chris had the best campaign.

Did anyone else like how sherry was portrayed in this game? She was determined and strong to get things done, but was soft enough to show emotion.

Riposte

Leon 5 is basically one huge climatic boss fight (of unusual scale, even) against a named villain. Jake 5 leaves Chris at a cliffhanger, while Chris 5 leaves Leon at a cliffhanger.

EDIT: Chris Chapter 1 is a good introduction despite taking place later. The way it introduces the J'avo sort of reflects the way the Majini were introduced in RE5. It doesn't reveal too much either.

Nemesis_

You know technically we could go into the cutscene viewer, which has time stamps for all the cutscenes, and figure out exactly what the chronological order should be. I just liked the way it was posted in the OP since the story flowed well that way.

Yup. Ending with Jake in particular is a bit of a silly decision and a great way to underwhelm the player.

Replicant

Replicant are you really going to play all those versions you buy? If not, why unwrap them?

Good question. I'm thinking of selling my normal copy soon and just play this one. I think UK and Australian copy are identical so I should have no problem continuing with either one. Maybe I'll keep 1 of the 2 steelbook sealed.

I normally open other Steelbooks though because I find that the paper/cardboard backing they include tend to stick to the Steelbook if you leave them too long in a room where heat and cold changing quite consistently (winter and you use heater in a room). But this Steelbook doesn't come with paper/cardboard backing so I should be okay. And it comes in a plastic sleeve to protect it too.

Also does anyone know if the pre-order exclusive maps are going to be released as free DLC, or if we will have to buy them?

We got them for free here in Australia. JB Hifi was basically giving them away even if you didn't preorder. So maybe it'll be free eventually?

Nemesis_

We got them for free here in Australia. JB Hifi was basically giving them away even if you didn't preorder.

RUBBING IT IN, I SEE.

Australia gets such good deals with pre-order deals most of the time, very rarely any of that retailer exclusive shit.

beastmode

Yup. Ending with Jake in particular is a bit of a silly decision and a great way to underwhelm the player.
Ending with Jake isn't a decision. It is chronologically last.
The explosion behind Ustanak is from Piers.

Leon's end works great after Chris 4. The cutscenes match up, you're killing the guy you've already killed in Leon 3 - nothing new, and it ends before the other two campaigns in the cutscene viewer.

Neiteio

I wonder if they'll end up selling as DLC Sherry's Chapter 3 "sneaking" outfit.

You know the one.

And I'll buy it at a high price.

Replicant

RUBBING IT IN, I SEE.

Australia gets such good deals with pre-order deals most of the time, very rarely any of that retailer exclusive shit.

That's why I added "maybe eventually they'll give it for free". :p

I think the timeline goes Jake > Chris > Leon for final fights but in terms of actual epilogue, it's hard to say.

beastmode

Which is why I would suggest playing Chris 1 and 2 as the first two chapters, followed by Jake 1 and 2.
It takes place in past tense. A memory triggered by the end of Chris 1. 2 is meant to be a flashback.

(Even considering your preference, Chris 2 should be between Jake 1 & 2, not before.)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people would, lol. I can't help but suspect this is why Capcom withheld it from Mercs when it would've seemed like an obvious unlock.

To be fair Sherry's EX2 costume is pretty revealing, and it comes with a great loadout to boot.

It takes place in past tense. A memory triggered by the end of Chris 1. 2 is meant to be a flashback while 1 works very awkwardly as a flashfoward beginning to the game.

(Even considering your preference, Chris 2 should be between Jake 1 & 2, not before.)

Fair enough, in which case I would suggest Chris 1, Jake 1, Chris 2, Jake 2. The rest of your order I have no issue with, it was really mainly this point.

As far as the final chapters, your order could work. I liked playing Jake 5 -> Chris 5 -> Leon 5 because the bosses just got bigger and badder in that order, but chronologically you may have a point.

Riposte

It takes place in past tense. A memory triggered by the end of Chris 1. 2 is meant to be a flashback.

I'm having a hard time recalling from memory why this would particularly matter. What wouldn't make sense for sure is doing Jake 2 before Chris 2.

beastmode

I think the timeline goes Jake > Chris > Leon for final fights but in terms of actual epilogue, it's hard to say.
It's the opposite.
Leon's ends before the other 2 in the cutscene viewer. Chris' and Jake's are neck and neck but the fire behind Ustanak before his death is almost certainly from Piers' explosion, placing Jake's last.

Replicant

It's the opposite.
Leon's ends before the other 2 in the cutscene viewer. Chris' and Jake's are neck and neck but the fire behind Ustanak before his death is almost certainly from Piers' explosion, placing Jake's last.

Hmm interesting. I need to look at this again. My actual playthrough was completely different though, knowing what I'd face during Chris' ending, I decided to play it Jake > Leon > Chris. Because I didn't want to feel down before finishing the other 2 guys' campaign.

Such boring costumes though. I would rather something NEW and ORIGINAL. Unless it's RE5 offcuts.

Yeah, I want all new costumes for the campaign. Different from the ones available for Mercs please.

Riposte

Because it takes place in past tense. As in, it's already happened. Jake 2 is in the present.

I don't see why that particularly matters. Chris 1 is a little advanced, just like the prelude. In fact, Chris 2 doesn't return to back to China in the end. So you could argue that Jake 1-2 and then Leon 1-3 are all part of the same flashback whereas Chris 1 is the present everyone is slowly moving towards(which makes sense, as that is where the core of the story is and where the campaigns intersect most).

beastmode

Fair enough, in which case I would suggest Chris 1, Jake 1, Chris 2, Jake 2. The rest of your order I have no issue with, it was really mainly this point.
I feel like Jake 3 works well with Chris 1.
BSAA show up and start kicking ass -> time to move Jake and Sherry -> all hell breaks loose.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's the opposite.

Now that you mention it
I found that explosion really weird when I played Jake.

But Jake 2 is most certainly not in the present, it is part of the same "6 months ago" that Chris 2 is, since Jake 3
takes place after 6 months of being held at the facility, if I'm not mistaken.

Nemesis_

They should do character swaps like they did for Street Fighter x Tekken.

Chris wearing Ada's
Jake wearing Sherry's
Ada wearing Jake's
Sherry wearing Leon's

or something

I don't see why that particularly matters. Chris 1 is a little advanced, just like the prelude. In fact, Chris 2 doesn't return to back to China in the end. So you could argue that Jake 1-2 and then Leon 1-3 are all part of the same flashback whereas Chris 1 is the present everyone is slowly moving towards(which makes sense, as that is where the core of the story is and where the campaigns intersect most).
Also, keep in mind of the prologue as well which takes place in China.

I feel like Jake 3 works well with Chris 1.
BSAA show up and start kicking ass -> time to move Jake and Sherry -> all hell breaks loose.
Yeah but Chris Chapter 2- Jake Chapter 1 is the same feeling perhaps even more so.
You see things from Chris/BSAA perspective where all hell has broken loose in eastern europe. Then you see it from an outsiders eyes who is on neither side of the battle and is just trying to escape.

beastmode

But Jake 2 is most certainly not in the present, it is part of the same "6 months ago" that Chris 2 is, since Jake 3
takes place after 6 months of being held at the facility, if I'm not mistaken.
I've tried to explain it. Hope this helps:

Jake in Edonia -> Jake is taken to China

Chris found as an amnesiac in Edonia -> Chris arrives in China -> (Chris remembers what happened back in Edonia)

One is present tense, the other is past.

Neiteio

They should do character swaps like they did for Street Fighter x Tekken.

Chris wearing Ada's
Jake wearing Sherry's
Ada wearing Jake's
Sherry wearing Leon's

or something
A Jake costume where he's wearing Wesker's sunglasses and trenchcoat seems inevitable. :D

Jake's campaign sucks. Sherry Birkin is hot. They programmed boob physics for her hospital gown, which is ridiculous.
Japan.

Volcynika

Just beat Chris's campaign.

Question about a Chapter 4 part though

When you're protecting Piers in the jet while he's going to shut down the missle, and the monster comes out, why does it seem so impossible to stun even when shooting at its back?
I had to be doing something wrong, that took us forever to beat without my friend getting killed.

Riposte

Is Revelations canon? I want to know if the T-Abyss virus is mentioned at all. One of the enemies in the game (think Jake 5) looks based on it. Particularly during the unique death animation it gives you. (It is also one of my favorite enemies as far as creepiness goes.)

EDIT: Considering the Resident Evil curse,
Ada doomed herself by piloting a helicopter. She dies in the next game for sure. Leon will sneak by because he crashes fucking everything, from cars to planes to helicopters so he can't be really referred to as a pilot.
How many helicopter pilots bite it in this game? A lot.

Top Bottom