• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, I am not liking the puzzles in ada's campaign so far. The first one I ended up over thinking because the obvious answer appeared wrong because one of the pieces was hard to discern from each other. Now the one I am stuck on has virtually no proper feedback and doesn't seem to make much sense. The "clue" cutscene doesn't exactly help. I refuse to look up the answer though. Just wondering if I was the only idiot. (hanging corpses puzzle, chapter2)

Anyway, outside some moments with Jake, this has to be portion of the game I truly dislike.

Yeah, I agree. The two puzzles in chapter 2 took me awhile and it was due to being misled a bit.
The hanging corpses basically just throw you off, they have no purpose all around the room. When I realized you could just push the podium I couldn't believe it was the solution. I was trying stuff like shooting all of them down before any respawned, lol. The next one wasn't hard to figure out but I figured I'd pierce the armored zombies to the wall via arm and headshots, when you actually just shoot them in the chest. It doesn't even look like they're suspended on the wall when it actually happens.

Her campaign is easily my least favorite.

I'd say the game is a solid 7. One thing I really didn't like about the game was the lack of exploration. The levels just seem to go in 1 straight path almost the entire game. In RE4 and even 5 to a certain extent you can explore some areas like the village for example.

Riposte

I'd say the game is a solid 7. One thing I really didn't like about the game was the lack of exploration. The levels just seem to go in 1 straight path almost the entire game. In RE4 and even 5 to a certain extent you can explore some areas like the village for example.

Don't forget about Jake 3.

Gbraga

Okay thanks. I'll try that shit when I get home. Can't wait to see it lol.

You can also use a back dodge (roll to the sides work too) up to the 3rd hit of the chain to automatically start another sequence, this is very useful against Ustanak and the Lizard enemy, since they are not knocked down by the first 2 hits.

wait, wat?

image.php

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO CAPCOM?

Dantis

Just finished Leon's campaign. Excluding the last level, I really enjoyed it. Chapter 5 dragged the whole thing down though. Complete, utter shit. Seriously, whoever thought that fighting that same shitty boss like six or seven times was a good idea needs a serious talking to.

If I pretend Chapter 5 never happened, I'd give the game a 7. I'm not bothering with the other three campaigns though, and I think I'm done with this franchise. Leon's campaign had some great moments, but chapter 5 is a perfect summary of everything that's gone wrong with the series.

Also, I am sick to death of his obsession with Ada. It makes him a really unlikeable character.

Just finished Leon's campaign. Excluding the last level, I really enjoyed it. Chapter 5 dragged the whole thing down though. Complete, utter shit. Seriously, whoever thought that fighting that same shitty boss like six or seven times was a good idea needs a serious talking to.

If I pretend Chapter 5 never happened, I'd give the game a 7. I'm not bothering with the other three campaigns though, and I think I'm done with this franchise. Leon's campaign had some great moments, but chapter 5 is a perfect summary of everything that's gone wrong with the series.

Also, I am sick to death of his obsession with Ada. It makes him a really unlikeable character.

This, Seriously, Ada Leon? Claire or Helena is hotter in my opinion, Ada was always kind of a bitch in my perspective and the whole obsession over her kind of came out of nowhere. Also, that final boss was BS, they coud've ended it earlier.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I think you would really enjoy the fourth campaign, but it would require you to play through Chris and Jake's campaigns first to unlock.

Leon's final boss was my least favorite, but the Jake and Chris final bosses were amazing.

SkylineRKR

This, Seriously, Ada Leon? Claire or Helena is hotter in my opinion, Ada was always kind of a bitch in my perspective and the whole obsession over her kind of came out of nowhere. Also, that final boss was BS, they coud've ended it earlier.

Ada has become way too cocky and calculated, I didn't like her character in RE6. Capcom overdid it.

Grisby

I think after some digesting I'd have to say Leon's early stuff and Chris's early china parts are the best. Chris gets the best boss fight in chapter 3.

Jake's whole deal is pretty much the low point of the game for me. The tons of vehicle stuff and some uninteresting locations brought it down. The fourth campaign was enjoyable and I'd almost say it's better then Leon or Chris's but the ending boss stuff is terrible.

Capcom needs to be more focused in the game design for 7. I like the idea of bioterriosm finally hitting on a more global scale, and seeing that as the player, but not at the cost of gameplay.

Manp

i'm playing through Leon campaign right now and i can't really help but think this game screams unpolished at every corner.

I think you would really enjoy the fourth campaign, but it would require you to play through Chris and Jake's campaigns first to unlock.

Leon's final boss was my least favorite, but the Jake and Chris final bosses were amazing.

I highly doubt he'd like the 4th campaign , considering
he'd have to fight the same dino boss he's bitching about 5 or 6 more times....from a helicopter OOOOOH lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think after some digesting I'd have to say Leon's early stuff and Chris's early china parts are the best. Chris gets the best boss fight in chapter 3.

Jake's whole deal is pretty much the low point of the game for me. The tons of vehicle stuff and some uninteresting locations brought it down. The fourth campaign was enjoyable and I'd almost say it's better then Leon or Chris's but the ending boss stuff is terrible.

Capcom needs to be more focused in the game design for 7. I like the idea of bioterriosm finally hitting on a more global scale, and seeing that as the player, but not at the cost of gameplay.

Heh, Jake was by far my favorite campaign. I thought everything about it, especially the entirety of Chapter 3, was extremely refreshing and well made. The only part that really bothered me was the first half of Chapter 5, but that's mainly because I just really don't like that enemy that they throw at you.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So you know how the files on RE.net have extra content than the ones you can read in-game? Whoever wrote the extra content is a pretty bad writer. I swear, it goes from a relatively interesting file to something written by a high schooler.

I just finished chapter three of Chris's campaign I'm saddened with this game. I don't mind the melee, it is interesting. I'm going to beat this and I'm going to stomach it all, even know that I'm told nothing really happens relative to the story.

Grisby

Heh, Jake was by far my favorite campaign. I thought everything about it, especially the entirety of Chapter 3, was extremely refreshing and well made. The only part that really bothered me was the first half of Chapter 5, but that's mainly because I just really don't like that enemy that they throw at you.
He had the best final boss and I enjoyed the interactions between him and sherry. Just most of the gameplay on his side was weak and I didn't dig the meele stuff of him that much.

branny

I sort of blitzed through the fourth campaign because of Dishonored, but I am interested in going back and playing through all 20 chapters on different difficulties with different characters. This is a good game. I understand where the hate comes from, but, all flaws considered, I've played far worse than RE6 this year.

When you're fighting, this RE is the best RE. It's really fun to play, and its mechanics are great provided you don't bother with cover and actually know what you're doing. Some stuff is kinda quirky, but you can learn to work with those quirks so that they no longer are a problem. Other stuff is a little rough around the edges, too, but that can always be refined in the future.

When you're not fighting is where RE6 stumbles. There's so much variety, but a lot of it is hit-or-miss. Some sections last too long (boss fights in particular don't seem properly tuned for single player) or are really annoying and not particularly fun. Chapters are often about two to three times far too long than they need to be, as well. Since we are expected to replay this content, it needs to be less of a pain to go through repeatedly.

As I said a day or so ago, I was taking breaks from RE6 with RE4 (just messing around with the HD version and random save files in the PS2 version). I was never the biggest fan of RE4, but I respect it and adore what it does well. After playing both in tandem, it's clear to me that each has shortcomings. My wish for RE7 is a return to seamless, atmospheric, relatively quiet, well-paced adventure with "variety" (QTEs and alternative sequences) kept to a minimum and very little loading (basically, the best aspects of RE4) but with the combat (character capability and enemy diversity) that RE6 has (which is what I feel is its strongest asset).

Things like Agent Hunt, Mercs, and Raid Mode (which isn't in this, sadly) are all wonderful extras, and they're even more important if we're forced to deal with bloated campaign content that's not always particularly fun to return to. Mercs and Raid should be really fleshed out (balanced scoring, skills, plenty of maps/levels, etc.) for people who just want to have fun without the padding and interruptions (Mercenaries 3D comes to mind). The way Raid handled things was also pretty good for a "campaign alternative"--many levels were adapted straight from story mode content, and some even had their own objectives beyond simply killing everything in your way. If Capcom insists on kitchen sink design meant to appeal to everyone, they may as well go all the way with these modes, too.

I think the backlash for this game is a good thing but only if Capcom pays attention to it within reason. Earlier RE games will not disappear, so there is no need to retread anything out of fear of losing an audience. I want legitimate advancements with each major iteration, and, for all its flaws, I'd consider RE6 a pretty acceptable evolution. Things definitely could've been handled better, yes--it feels like every last idea was thrown into the game with reckless abandon. If I'm going to revisit a game repeatedly, however, quality is far more important than quantity. Also, Capcom should strive to explain game mechanics and objectives/goals a bit better the next time around. Not everyone is patient, forgiving, and willing to learn from their mistakes, especially when other questionable content in the game is already rubbing them the wrong way.

Neiteio

Jake's Chapter 3 is one of the best chapters in the game, imo.
Sneaking/stealth kills in Mirror's Edge environment with naked Sherry and Jake, then exploring an ornate Chinese mansion (with up to 16 cards to find, if you want to unlock the Bear Commander), and then the TANK.

Neiteio

I sort of blitzed through the fourth campaign because of Dishonored, but I am interested in going back and playing through all 20 chapters on different difficulties with different characters. This is a good game. I understand where the hate comes from, but, all flaws considered, I've played far worse than RE6 this year.

When you're fighting, this RE is the best RE. It's really fun to play, and its mechanics are great provided you don't bother with cover and actually know what you're doing. Some stuff is kinda quirky, but you can learn to work with those quirks so that they no longer are a problem. Other stuff is a little rough around the edges, too, but that can always be refined in the future.

When you're not fighting is where RE6 stumbles. There's so much variety, but a lot of it is hit-or-miss. Some sections last too long (boss fights in particular don't seem properly tuned for single player) or are really annoying and not particularly fun. Chapters are often about two to three times far too long than they need to be, as well. Since we are expected to replay this content, it needs to be less of a pain to go through repeatedly.

As I said a day or so ago, I was taking breaks from RE6 with RE4 (just messing around with the HD version and random save files in the PS2 version). I was never the biggest fan of RE4, but I respect it and adore what it does well. After playing both in tandem, it's clear to me that each has shortcomings. My wish for RE7 is a return to seamless, atmospheric, relatively quiet, well-paced adventure with "variety" (QTEs and alternative sequences) kept to a minimum and very little loading (basically, the best aspects of RE4) but with the combat (character capability and enemy diversity) that RE6 has (which is what I feel is its strongest asset).

Things like Agent Hunt, Mercs, and Raid Mode (which isn't in this, sadly) are all wonderful extras, and they're even more important if we're forced to deal with bloated campaign content that's not always particularly fun to return to. Mercs and Raid should be really fleshed out (balanced scoring, skills, plenty of maps/levels, etc.) for people who just want to have fun without the padding and interruptions (Mercenaries 3D comes to mind). The way Raid handled things was also pretty good for a "campaign alternative"--many levels were adapted straight from story mode content, and some even had their own objectives beyond simply killing everything in your way. If Capcom insists on kitchen sink design meant to appeal to everyone, they may as well go all the way with these modes, too.

I think the backlash for this game is a good thing but only if Capcom pays attention to it within reason. Earlier RE games will not disappear, so there is no need to retread anything out of fear of losing an audience. I want legitimate advancements with each major iteration, and, for all its flaws, I'd consider RE6 a pretty acceptable evolution. Things definitely could've been handled better, yes--it feels like every last idea was thrown into the game with reckless abandon. If I'm going to revisit a game repeatedly, however, quality is far more important than quantity. Also, Capcom should strive to explain everything better the next time around. Not everyone is patient, forgiving, and willing to learn from their mistakes, especially when other objectionable content in the game rubs them the wrong way.
Spot-on, imo. Please copy/paste this post into every RE topic. :)

Neiteio

Another question about the model viewer (the best feature of every game that has one): I know some figures have multiple forms, and I imagine this applies to J'avo and Ustanak, correct? How many alternate forms does J'avo have? What about Ustanak? Does the Zombies figure have multiple forms?

So is it just the Chapter 5 forms and not the Chapter 4 forms? He had some cool forms on the
train

The figurines are
regular Simmons, train (Jaguar/Cheetah?) form, dinosaur form, and final insect form.

Another question about the model viewer (the best feature of every game that has one): I know some figures have multiple forms, and I imagine this applies to J'avo and Ustanak, correct? How many alternate forms does J'avo have? What about Ustanak? Does the Zombies figure have multiple forms?

I don't have the zombie figurine yet but the J'avo figure has three and Ustanak has two figurine models. I'm pretty sure the zombie figure will have more than one though. Most of the alternate models are either forms for bosses, or clothing/appearance changes for humans and regular enemies.

Neiteio

The figurines are
regular Simmons, train (Jaguar/Cheetah?) form, dinosaur form, and final insect form.
Sounds cool. I would've liked them to throw in the
centaur
form as well, but that's not too shabby. :)

I don't have the zombie figurine yet but the J'avo figure has three and Ustanak has two figurine models. I'm pretty sure the zombie figure will have more than one though. Most of the alternate models are either forms for bosses, or clothing/appearance changes for humans and regular enemies.
Ah, OK. What is the alternative Ustanak figure?
Drill-Arm, or Ball and Chain?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh man... I just S ranked Jake&Sherry Ch2 on professional... wasn't really even trying but pretty glad I've got that out of the way now. One of the more bothersome levels imo.

Sounds cool. I would've liked them to throw in the
centaur
form as well, but that's not too shabby. :)

Ah, OK. What is the alternative Ustanak figure?
Drill-Arm, or Ball and Chain?

Yeah, the serpent emblem files list him as having
three forms
, but the way they word it, the
centaur
is his first form so I guess it's a
centaur
figure and not a
Jaguar/Cheetah
. I can't really tell since it's in an attack pose and I don't really remember the
centaur
form at all haha. It definitely doesn't look like one to me though.

As for Ustanak, it's
his regular arm, but with jake in the claw shooting at him.
There may be another figurine for him though, since I just noticed their is a figure for a J'avo mutations in addition to the regular J'avo figure.

I just watched the credits and saw that Stephanie Sheh was involved in voice direction again.
so at least if Rebecca gets in as DLC she will have the same voice as 5 & UC

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My wish for RE7 is a return to seamless, atmospheric, relatively quiet, well-paced adventure with "variety" (QTEs and alternative sequences) kept to a minimum and very little loading (basically, the best aspects of RE4) but with the combat (character capability and enemy diversity) that RE6 has (which is what I feel is its strongest asset).

That is exactly what I don't want from RE7. I like RE4 as much as the next guy, but god do I love me some RE5 and RE6. I kind of hope RE7 keeps the crazy over-the-top insanity of RE6, from both a campaign and plot standpoint. To me RE is now an action game with super interesting enemies that can mutate and require unique strategies to take down. That's what makes Mercenaries so much fun. I think the wide variety of set pieces in the campaign adds a lot of replay value too, since you're never doing the same thing for too long before moving on to a different section.

Yeah it's not polished in some places, but I really enjoy the gameplay formula they discovered with this iteration and I hope they keep it going forward. I really enjoyed RE5 and RE6, so I have no doubt Capcom is going to deliver with RE7.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Give us more Mercs maps and characters.

Order in the OP has a few issues.

Jake 1
Jake 2
Leon 1
Leon 2
Leon 3
Chris 1
Chris 2
Jake 3
Chris 3
Jake 4
Leon 4
Chris 4
Leon 5
Chris 5
Jake 5

I still disagree with this order since I still think Chris 2 needs to be done as early as possible in the game to set the stage for some of the later stuff that happens. But I can see where you're coming from with this list.

beastmode

I still disagree with this order since I still think Chris 2 needs to be done as early as possible in the game to set the stage for some of the later stuff that happens. But I can see where you're coming from with this list.
I don't remember anything especially relevant to the preceding chapters:

Jake 1
Jake 2
Leon 1
Leon 2
Leon 3

It's a flashback that pretty much only matters to Chris. Even the opening cutscene is titled "Six Months Ago" or something.

Astral

I think the backlash for this game is a good thing but only if Capcom pays attention to it within reason. Earlier RE games will not disappear, so there is no need to retread anything out of fear of losing an audience. I want legitimate advancements with each major iteration, and, for all its flaws, I'd consider RE6 a pretty acceptable evolution. Things definitely could've been handled better, yes--it feels like every last idea was thrown into the game with reckless abandon. If I'm going to revisit a game repeatedly, however, quality is far more important than quantity. Also, Capcom should strive to explain game mechanics and objectives/goals a bit better the next time around. Not everyone is patient, forgiving, and willing to learn from their mistakes, especially when other questionable content in the game is already rubbing them the wrong way.

I agree with this so much. I think this game was at it's best when it was relatively quiet. Some of the music completely broke my immersion.

Noi

Oh man... I just S ranked Jake&Sherry Ch2 on professional... wasn't really even trying but pretty glad I've got that out of the way now. One of the more bothersome levels imo.

Too bad that Jake and Sherry have different medals, so you need to do it twice. ;D

I feel like a broken record, but I wanna go through Chris' campaign on Professional. Any takers? PS3 version, before I forget.

Replicant

It's quite possible he didn't finish the game... so...

But how oblivious can you be as a player not to notice things? Also, why did he comment on story when he hasn't even finished the game? It sounds pretty stupid to me commenting on something that one knows nothing about.

You know what I like about this game? Each chapter can be a whole film on it's own. In RE4 and 5, the set pieces would have been broken up into sub-chapters, but in RE6, most chapters contain varied environments and situations, and are 1 to 1 1/2 hours long.

Example (Jake chapter 2):
Jake and Sherry are on a covert mission because Jake's blood is important, but suddenly they're attacked by a creature called Ustanak, their nemesis. After Ustanak crashes their helicopter on a frozen tundra, the two must avoid the creature and other monsters while searching through a snow covered mountain for data drives that could help save the world. In the thrilling conclusion, Jake and Sherry go face to face with the Ustanak, sneaking past him and his monster allies in a tense ice cave stealth mission, and finally taking the creature down through teamwork and the power of heavy machinery.

Sissel

listening to 8-4 play and I no longer want to play this game. And I only really play 1 chapter to leon's campaign.
I'm in the same boat, except I haven't even bought the game yet. I think it was Mark who said the demo quite representative of the game as a whole (from what he's played), and I thought the demo was pretty poor. I'm still going to end up playing it because I have to (I'm an RE fan) but this game doesn't even sound fun to play.

Neiteio

I'm in the same boat, except I haven't even bought the game yet. I think it was Mark who said the demo quite representative of the game as a whole (from what he's played), and I thought the demo was pretty poor. I'm still going to end up playing it because I have to (I'm an RE fan) but this game doesn't even sound fun to play.
Did you read these tips and tricks?

And have you seen how fun the game gets when you know how to play? (150-combo Mercs vid; really heats up halfway through)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jSNHqfy_W0

Lucentto

Banned

I thought the demo is really is representative of the game, if you didn't like the demo, stay away. This game does have some bits and pieces that are good though.

Neiteio

I thought the demo is really is representative of the game, if you didn't like the demo, stay away. This game does have some bits and pieces that are good though.
I politely beg to differ: I hated the demo, and it was only on a whim trying it a couple more times (days later) that it finally "clicked" for me. :)

The full game offers way more varied combat scenarios and interesting levels. The full version of Leon Chapter 1 and 2, in particular, would've been right at home in RE4. Remember to dial back the camera (set it to Speed 2) and dial up the aiming (set it to Speed 7) and make sure you toggle on the laser sight. Also remember that cover is only for quickly restoring stamina and taking out the occasional sniper or turret (though you can tell your AI partner to attack those by aiming at the enemy and tapping Circle to paint the target).

Again, check out the tips and tricks -- some reviewers (including on that podcast, I believe) didn't even know you could roll, and most people don't know about quick recovers and auto-mixing/loading herbs -- and remember to always be in the thick of the fray, the center of the fight. The game gels so well this way. Incredible fun. :)

Top Bottom