• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dear Christ but the merchant was retarded. Like seriously fucking retarded.

This is the worst opinion of ever. The merchant was a great way of breaking the tension and providing a safe haven for the player. He was also just the right amount of weird cheese with his ridiculous voice acting that guarantees to be more memorable than anything that will come from this series again.

This is the worst opinion of ever. The merchant was a great way of breaking the tension and providing a safe haven for the player. He was also just the right amount of weird cheese with his ridiculous voice acting that guarantees to be more memorable than anything that will come of this series again.

This.
I miss him ...:(

Sojgat

Hmmm. The fact that the people who say Resident Evil 4 destroyed survival horror tend to really like Remake puts me off. And I really didn't like ink ribbons. And if someone who can hold up Remake as Doing It Right

http://www.destructoid.com/getting-it-right-resident-evil-233760.phtml

can then say the mission planning section of old school Rainbow Six was Doing It Right

http://www.destructoid.com/getting-it-right-rainbow-six-3-232172.phtml

I get suspicious. Just how much work is it to play this game?

Not to mention that Chris looks a bit wimpy compared to the steroid enhanced boulder punching version we know from more recent installments.

I would put RE4 in my top 10 games of all time, but Re remake is a better survival horror game, it's probably the best survival horror game. If you love RE so much, you should try it. Fwucking Chris Rudfooled n' shit.

This.
I miss him ...:(

It blows my mind that the merchant didn't become a staple of the series after 4. A good dev would've crafted some crazy lore around the character hinting to who he was and how he managed to be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Nothing in the main narrative, but hints over multiple games since RE4.

But nah, let's just use menus in between chapters. Can't have anyone on this 600 person team make a merchant instead of finding ways to add more explosions.

Hmmm. The fact that the people who say Resident Evil 4 destroyed survival horror tend to really like Remake puts me off. And I really didn't like ink ribbons. And if someone who can hold up Remake as Doing It Right

can then say the mission planning section of old school Rainbow Six was Doing It Right

Not to mention that Chris looks a bit wimpy compared to the steroid enhanced boulder punching version we know from more recent installments.

You...wha...

Everytime I read an ErikB post it's the worst day of my life

Well now I get it.

Soodanim

The OT makes me want the game more than the game does. I think I will wait for the PC version, and hope that the HUD gets fixed by mods.

I really, really want to like this game, but what I've played of the demo has left me jaded and bitter towards Capcom for what they've done to the series.

Teknoman

Trust me, put all that aside, and look at it like this. Its the first time any of the characters experience anything this out of the ordinary (save for Rebecca in 0), so of course they arent that prepared to handle BOWs. Also the game is extremely well done as far as atmospheric and general creepiness goes. There are even counters in the form of equippable sub weapons (shove a grenade in an enemies mouth, or force a knife right through their eye). Also Lisa Trevor.

Akibared

To celebrate the cheese i have watched RE Damnation.

184887-d1.jpg

Its highly enjoyable if you are smashed as fuck like myself.

Anyway its also known as '1001 ways to oogle Ada's private parts'. Its a weird mix of impressive CG with some poor cg. Overall though it felt like a feature film rather than a cutscene. I enjoyed how they brought back an old enemy. There is something also oddly hyping about seeing the RE 6 footage in the credits look almost as good as the movie, lulz. It should satisfy those that want their cheesy RE story fix until RE 6 comes out.

Forgot all about this movie going to check it out before work it will help get my hype level up. =)

tsab

Having played all Leon's Campaign, and little bit of Jake's
Uncharted wannabe
, Ada's
MGS/Splinter Cell wannabe,
and Chris's
GoW/generic dudebro TPS wannabe
campaign I would have to say that I agree with the review below 100%

From the Swedish LEVEL magazine

+ 3x longer than the regular action game
+ The environment design is really good; caves, prisons, etc
+ The soundtrack is the best in the series
+ Ridiculously good atmosphere
+ More fluid controls than in previous series

- 3x longer than the regular action game (yes, this is also a negative thing)
- Resident Evil 6 is more quantity over quality
- Uninspiring puzzle-design
- The differences between the three characters isn't as big as Capcom wanted it to be

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Doesn't matter at all, since you'll be playing as Jill anyway.

You will be playing as Jill, right?

Seriously though, REmake is a phenomenal game. I don't know if you'll like it because you seem to enjoy the cover/shooter aspect of RE6, but if you actually do like survival horror and you actually do enjoy classic RE, then REmake is a must.

Personally I'm waiting for my Archives edition to get here so I can finally play C:VX, in HD no less. I can also finally finish RE4 I guess, since the last time I played it I got up to the castle and then stopped there. The PC port at the time was not really a very good version of the game...

Jawmuncher

Doesn't matter at all, since you'll be playing as Jill anyway.

You will be playing as Jill, right?

Seriously though, REmake is a phenomenal game. I don't know if you'll like it because you seem to enjoy the cover/shooter aspect of RE6, but if you actually do like survival horror and you actually do enjoy classic RE, then REmake is a must.

Personally I'm waiting for my Archives edition to get here so I can finally play C:VX, in HD no less. I can also finally finish RE4 I guess, since the last time I played it I got up to the castle and then stopped there. The PC port at the time was not really a very good version of the game...

Yeah REmake is a definite must play.
However for me personally the one aspect I didn't like was having to burn zombies.
I know its to add tension and such (Should I kill this zombie and he might come back? Should I just avoid it, should I make numerous trips to burn zombies?)
but I think they could have done something better with it since to me it just felt like busy work.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah REmake is a definite must play.
However for me personally the one aspect I didn't like was having to burn zombies.
I know its to add tension and such (Should I kill this zombie and he might come back? Should I just avoid it, should I make numerous trips to burn zombies?)
but I think they could have done something better with it since to me it just felt like busy work.

Really? It always scared the hell out of me, walking down a hallway with a zombie that I had already killed. Do I make the effort to burn him? Do I ignore him and hope he doesn't turn into a Crimson Head? I think that aspect of the game gave me more heart attacks than anything else in the game. The moment you walk by a zombie and he comes back to life is one of the most terrifying things you can experience in a video game.

Of course I was also a hoarder and never wanted to use the oil because I thought there would be a more important use for it later down the road, so I ended up with a mansion infested with Crimson Heads lol.

Neff

REmake tends to be overrated imo. It's an incredible game, no doubt, but it's far from the best in the series. Both REmake and RE0 are very sluggish and cumbersome to play compared to the old RE games, and while RE0 has the advantage of its all-new setting and real-time partner mechanic, REmake is actually inferior to the original game in terms of environmental design (there's really only one route through the game for both characters), and the kerosene mechanic detracts from the pace enormously. And it rather takes itself too seriously, which the PSX game did anything but. All of the above criticisms however are offset by the game's incredible atmosphere and -still, ten years later- industry-standard art direction.

Okay I played the demo for the first time. I really don't get the hate. This is an awesome co op game and very fun to play. Didn't notice any issues ( camera, controls, etc.)

To add to the discussion about The Merchant, I'm kind of glad they dropped him. He was brilliant, creepy, camp, semi-serious, mysterious, a safe-zone with effortless charm. Everything about RE5, and apparently RE6, is utterly charmless imo, and they'd have fucked the merchant up, turning his phrases into into attempts to be funny where they genuinely make me happy as they are. Also, they'd have given him a purposefully ridiculous backstory and motives which would have left him on the pile of characters who Capcom seem intent on ruining.

antitrop

REmake tends to be overrated imo. It's an incredible game, no doubt, but it's far from the best in the series. Both REmake and RE0 are very sluggish and cumbersome to play compared to the old RE games, and while RE0 has the advantage of its all-new setting and real-time partner mechanic, REmake is actually inferior to the original game in terms of environmental design (there's really only one route through the game for both characters), and the kerosene mechanic detracts from the pace enormously. And it rather takes itself too seriously, which the PSX game did anything but. All of the above criticisms however are offset by the game's incredible atmosphere and -still, ten years later- industry-standard art direction.
That was very well stated. I agree with most of your conclusions.

It blows my mind that the merchant didn't become a staple of the series after 4. A good dev would've crafted some crazy lore around the character hinting to who he was and how he managed to be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Nothing in the main narrative, but hints over multiple games since RE4.

But nah, let's just use menus in between chapters. Can't have anyone on this 600 person team make a merchant instead of finding ways to add more explosions.

haha - the Merchant was awesome...BUT the rest of RE4 was great, you had set pieces mixed with horror and by the time you got to the Merchant you knew you'd completed that area; maybe time to take a break? Set up your guns/ammo.

RE5 is just crap in comparison, from top to bottom. Its poorly designed and when your finishing an area your pretty much wanting to 'get it over with'; so having the Merchant as some sort of relief doesn't really work. RE4 is just an overall better game, the shop and items system is hugely key to this; the next two games threw this out the window. The merchant lost his place :(

I always thought the merchant was infected; but was just too capitalist to fight for a ruler; he was selling Saddler's own weapons and stock piles to you just because he liked gold (maybe ate it or just hoarded it). Thats my lore anyways :D

haha - the Merchant was awesome...BUT the rest of RE4 was great, you had set pieces mixed with horror and by the time you got to the Merchant you knew you'd completed that area; maybe time to take a break? Set up your guns/ammo.

RE5 is just crap in comparison, from top to bottom. Its poorly designed and when your finishing an area your pretty much wanting to 'get it over with'; so having the Merchant as some sort of relief doesn't really work. RE4 is just an overall better game, the shop and items system is hugely key to this; the next two games threw this out the window. The merchant lost his place :(

I always thought the merchant was infected; but was just too capitalist to fight for a ruler; he was selling Saddler's own weapons and stock piles to you just because he liked gold (maybe ate it or just hoarded it). Thats my lore anyways :D

I like the clone theory best out of the three

Clones
Teleportation
Shortcuts

Would anyone else have liked it if he'd directly helped in the endgame?

Neff

Fun fact, each merchant has differently coloured eyes, supporting the idea that they're a group of entrepreneurial Ganados. There's probably a capitalist model of the Plaga that was never revealed. Don't know where the bad Cockney comes from, though.

There's an eccentricity and general propensity for off-the-wall indulgence in 4 that was really missed in 5.

Top Bottom