• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
haha - the Merchant was awesome...BUT the rest of RE4 was great, you had set pieces mixed with horror and by the time you got to the Merchant you knew you'd completed that area; maybe time to take a break? Set up your guns/ammo.

RE5 is just crap in comparison, from top to bottom. Its poorly designed and when your finishing an area your pretty much wanting to 'get it over with'; so having the Merchant as some sort of relief doesn't really work. RE4 is just an overall better game, the shop and items system is hugely key to this; the next two games threw this out the window. The merchant lost his place :(

I always thought the merchant was infected; but was just too capitalist to fight for a ruler; he was selling Saddler's own weapons and stock piles to you just because he liked gold (maybe ate it or just hoarded it). Thats my lore anyways :D

First of all, I will fight you tooth and nail about RE5 being a badly designed game. But that's not the main thrust of your argument. The reason the Merchant wouldn't have worked in RE5 is because they went to a checkpoint system. You can't have the Merchant popping up at each checkpoint as that would have been annoying. Also since it's coop and there's no more attache case, you need a screen where you can swap things with your teammate, upgrade weapons, sell jewels. You could have done it with the Merchant I guess, but it would have been unwieldy.

And I will repeat - RE5 was a GREAT game. A great game indeed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How difficult does Pro look?

And I guess we're not going to get BRAND NEW
characters for Mercenaries?

To be honest, a bit easier than I anticipated. That said, it's not like it's extremely easy, there's been a lot of deaths here for various reasons, but it looks like Resident Evil 5 Veteran difficulty to me, outside of a few areas that look pretty punishing. So I guess more RE4 Pro than RE5.

And two new characters, or really one and a half, but there are two characters outside of the normally playable ones.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hmmm. The fact that the people who say Resident Evil 4 destroyed survival horror tend to really like Remake puts me off. And I really didn't like ink ribbons. And if someone who can hold up Remake as Doing It Right

http://www.destructoid.com/getting-it-right-resident-evil-233760.phtml

can then say the mission planning section of old school Rainbow Six was Doing It Right

http://www.destructoid.com/getting-it-right-rainbow-six-3-232172.phtml

I get suspicious. Just how much work is it to play this game?

Not to mention that Chris looks a bit wimpy compared to the steroid enhanced boulder punching version we know from more recent installments.

I hope you get banned into oblivion... after saying this... to even imply it was a good thing to lose mission planning... if we were standing together next to a chasm it would take all my strength not to push you into it. I would, and then piss over the side, while raising a Che fist to all my brothers who've felt the pain of this long and slow death of the Ubisoft tactical shooter franchises.

MrDaravon

I'm pretty sure ErikB is an amazing troll account guys.

Anyway, when is the general review embargo up? Every time I look in here it seems reviews and impressions are still wildly all over the place. This game has been a goddamn roller coaster of ups and downs since it was first announced, I'll be glad when it's over either way but I'm curious to see how it's going to pan out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm pretty sure ErikB is an amazing troll account guys.

Anyway, when is the general review embargo up? Every time I look in here it seems reviews and impressions are still wildly all over the place. This game has been a goddamn roller coaster of ups and downs since it was first announced, I'll be glad when it's over either way but I'm curious to see how it's going to pan out.

October 1st.

But I'm telling you, they're going to stay wildly all over the place to the end. Depending on who you are, there is both a lot of to love about the game, and a lot to hate. Depends what you're looking for here.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Those costumes look great. The ones posted on the previous page are pretty awesome and made me smile. I wonder if Chris will get the same treatment?

Gbraga

I'm playing more RE6 demo than Darksiders II since it came out lol

I really love the gameplay, if the full game is that much better, it'll probably be one of my favorite TPS this generation.

I think a Merchant could have worked in 5; the checkpoint system changed things up; but then RE4 still did have chapters and a disc swap. Probably more to do with it being co-op and wanting the players to manage their items between them as oppose to taking time to buy/sell from the Merchant.

Revelations does it well I feel. No Merchant but you've got the cache points to work out what weapons you feel you'll need next.

And I will repeat - RE5 was a GREAT game. A great game indeed.

Am sure some enjoy it; but my dislike goes beyond critique, I honestly can pull myself to play through the rest of it. Its not enjoyable in any sense.

RE6 is looking a bit better outside some stupidity tbh.

How difficult does Pro look?

Not very; Hakoom (streamer) is god awful, but you don't need any finesse to do pro.
It looks like a decent mode; but its not quite 'hard'; the guy mostly got in trouble due to his own incompetence and stupidity than the game putting pressure on the player.

Haliela

IGN's more recent preview has nothing but great things to say about this game. After they criticized an early demo build quite a bit, they tried a newer version back in August and found it to be much improved.

Makes for a good read if you haven't seen it yet. I'm hyped.

Riposte

Professional not being quite great like RE5 is another sad point for me. Still have to unlock it right? Hope Veteran/Hard isn't way worse than 5's...

Curufinwe

To be honest, a bit easier than I anticipated. That said, it's not like it's extremely easy, there's been a lot of deaths here for various reasons, but it looks like Resident Evil 5 Veteran difficulty to me, outside of a few areas that look pretty punishing. So I guess more RE4 Pro than RE5.

That's great news to me.

I found the Ndesu fight even worse, and impossible in co-op so I had to do it solo.

I also did the Jill fight solo, but I found a really good strategy for that somewhere online.

Me and my friend had to do the final fight solo because that Sheva QTE was impossible.

I would definitely pay for
Resident.Evil:.Revelations.565255.jpg

and
PS1_Chris_2a.jpg

In Jill's colors
along with others.

Majmun

Holy shit, thats an awesome OP, Nem <3

I've been on a media blockout for this game. Can't wait to get my hands on this one. I started to like RE5 during my second playthrough. Really hated it a first.

I wonder how RE6 will hold up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope there's more than just two extra costumes per character. That would be disappointing.
Are you kidding me? There's six characters with at least three costumes a piece. Of all the things to complain about, this really isn't one of them.

Esura

Banned
So why don't the US get any nifty special edition like every other region and we just get the game and vouchers for old games?

JoeFenix

You can always find something to hate. Remake I haven't played (wrong console - see Bayonetta 2), RE2 - well, I have always suffered from hoarding, and ink ribbons were just another thing to hoard. RE4, well, a lot of people really don't like it because it 'destroyed survival horror'. I've never liked the Spanish/Mexican setting and would much rather have been shooting zombies in Small Town America. And the merchant(s) and his/their shooting galleries were fucking retarded. And in the end I'd like to be able to walk and aim at the same time.

As for the shilling... well I really like the demo. And they changed something I really liked about it (the aiming camera) because no one spoke up for liking it. And I really do think people will like the game once they get the hang of it.

Dear Christ but the merchant was retarded. Like seriously fucking retarded.

You're such a horrible human being. Talk about not getting it!

Have you tried sliding into the merchant?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried sliding into the merchant?

ROFL

Are you kidding me? There's six characters with at least three costumes a piece. Of all the things to complain about, this really isn't one of them.

Eh? So people can complain about the fact that the game has 27 hours of single player gameplay (longer than pretty much any non-RPG game to come out in recent memory), or that enemies don't "react properly" when shot (even though you can literally blow holes in zombies with your bullets), or that enemies don't fly dramatically backwards into the air when assaulted with a shotgun, or any slew of inane complaints that have been leveled against this game, but I can't be disappointed that there are only two extra costumes per character?

RE5 had two extra costumes per character and I blew through them in a matter of days as I replayed the hell out of that game. I expect the same to happen with this game, and though it'll take me longer to finish the campaign with each set of costumes I still imagine I'm going to be disappointed.

Top Bottom