• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Dumb question. How do you even use inventory items? I've got the bolt cutters, gone up to the chain, went into the inventory and have gone to 'use', nothing. Then I thought I had to equip them, so I put them onto one of the d-pad buttons and still nothing? What am I missing?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
To the people that can't find it it's the first option in the demo section on consoles.

It's lame though so save yourself the trouble.

Dumb question. How do you even use inventory items? I've got the bolt cutters, gone up to the chain, went into the inventory and have gone to 'use', nothing. Then I thought I had to equip them, so I put them onto one of the d-pad buttons and still nothing? What am I missing?

Just press X on the chain. Don't need to go into your inventory.

Highlight the bolt cutters and press x. Think of them as consumables.

kc44135

So, I finally played the demo, and I'd like to offer my impressions, as I was VERY critical of RE7 earlier in this thread. However, I've noticed a few things that give me renewed hope for this game. First off, I noticed some really interesting things about the inventory that I haven't seen anyone else mention so far. When you examine items in the inventory, there are grayed out options to discard them (a trash can icon), and another icon that I'm unsure of. This is important because the game isn't going to let you discard key items that you need to progress, which means you must be able to fill up your inventory with, say, ammo and healing items. Additionally, there are four empty slots that you select with the d-pad. Weapon slots would be my guess, so yeah, I think RE7 might actually have combat and resource management based on what I've seen of the inventory system. This would go a long way towards getting me on board, personally.

Also, I thought the atmosphere felt very "Resident Evil" esque. Abandoned house/ mansion in the middle of a dark forest, moths flittering around a light, dead animals and rotten food, a piano, etc. Lots of small nods to older games, and this felt very RE meets P.T. to me. The music on the main menu was very mechanical in nature and reminded abit of the "Forest is dead" track from RE1. Also, the dialogue had some classic RE cheese in it. Nothing as ridiculous as "master of unlocking" or "Jill sandwich", but still.

The thing I liked most about this demo was the sense of exploration and being lost in a terrifying environment, and having to venture into the unknown in order to escape. Ever since 4, the series has told you exactly where to go and what to do, but this is the first time since RE0 that I've felt like I was truly on my own, discovering the mysteries of a dark, dangerous place, and putting the pieces of a puzzle together. I liked that you actually picked up key items, needed to use them to progress, and also had to backtrack in order to progress. I'm hoping the full game is much larger in scale, and builds on some of the elements I saw in this demo.

Crucially though, this game needs a fight or flight mechanic. As in, deciding whether or not to fight enemies versus avoiding them. Having to watch your ammo and resources was, like, 50% or more of the horror in the older games. Sure, the atmosphere was creepy, and the monsters were scary, but it was that threat of completely running out of ammo and healing items that really ratcheted up the tension, and RE7 has to have that element for me to be on board. Anyway, sorry for a ridiculously long post, but this franchise means alot to me, and I had alot to say. I hope Capcom knows what their doing, and that this isn't just a walking simulator with jump scares. That would suck. Also, there totally has to be a secret ending or something we're missing here guys, so keep digging!

jorgejjvr

What do you mean? I couldn't find it on the PSN store on the PS4 but found it on the web store and just sent it to download onto my PS4 from there.
So odd I can't find it on the app. Yet I can find it via Google, and from there it only let's me add it to watch list. Going to have to try from ps4 itself when I'm home

Duxxy3

Just a quick play through the demo...

I'd rather they not call this Resident Evil 7. It could be a cool new series on its own, but it doesn't fit in with the rest of Resident Evil.

My guess is that they threw the Resident Evil name onto this to boost sales.

FiggyCal

Banned
Nvm. Found it. I tried searching for it and nothing came up.

You have to go to the demo section. Click on the game and then scroll through a couple of menus before you get to the free trial.

Inviusx

Hmmm, looks like I only found one ending
getting punched on the way out.

I walked around for ages and couldnt find the
fuse
at all. Im guessing thats what unlocks the
upstair attic?

Anyway I guess it was kinda fun?

Didnt really get much of an RE vibe from it though. As a big RE fan im left scratching my head over this one.....

Where is the demo section? ever since they changed the store it all sucks. use to easily be able to search for all ps4 games and now all i see is this mess of generes. Sony if your reading this, please give us options to search how we want. This is a mess. Xbox has a much better store now.

What do you mean? I couldn't find it on the PSN store on the PS4 but found it on the web store and just sent it to download onto my PS4 from there.
Are you sure? None of us have a download option on the webstore at all. It just has wishlist and that's it lol. I was able to find it on the PS4 and downloaded it there.

lAlmKoR.jpg
This is what I see on the webstore. Is this what you see too?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Where is the demo section? ever since they changed the store it all sucks. use to easily be able to search for all ps4 games and now all i see is this mess of generes. Sony if your reading this, please give us options to search how we want. This is a mess. Xbox has a much better store now.

discover->free->demos

Just a quick play through the demo...

I'd rather they not call this Resident Evil 7. It could be a cool new series on its own, but it doesn't fit in with the rest of Resident Evil.

My guess is that they threw the Resident Evil name onto this to boost sales.

Wouldnt be so quick to judge from a uber short demo. We have NO idea how this one plays out.

Thorgi

For those having trouble finding the demo, I suggest going up to the search bar and typing in Resident Evil. It's a pain to sort through but after scrolling down a bit, I eventually got to the page for the Special Edition pre-order. I then hit Game Page within that menu, and it eventually took me to the demo.

Ludens

Banned
Wouldnt be so quick to judge from a uber short demo. We have NO idea how this one plays out.

Well, they are promoting the game using this demo and the trailer, soyes, we should judge the game based on this demo, since this is the primary purpose of a demo.

Neff

people watching 5 mins of Twitch gameplay and writing this game off as an Outcast clone. smh... there's clearly a lot more depth here than some indie, hide-and-seek jumpscare fest.

Having played the demo inside out and back to front, there really isn't.

A Resident Evil game that's an actual survival horror game again, oh man.

It's not though, or at least this demo isn't. It's a trial-and-error jumpscare simulator.

What the fuck did they do to Resident Evil ?

They made a Pewdiepie game out of it.

It's more like the first three Resident Evil games, especially the first one than any of the shooters from 4 on could ever be.

No, it isn't.

Ricker

Guys, only works from the PS4 for now,search for it,then click on the game page button and scroll a few page down.

Finished once but didnt go 2 places,going to try that in another playthrough...this is just a teaser guys,I like it for what it is,it will be nerve racking for sure.

Are you sure? None of us have a download option on the webstore at all. It just has wishlist and that's it lol. I was able to find it on the PS4 and downloaded it there.

This is what I see on the webstore. Is this what you see too?

This is what I have. This is the GB store so maybe it's different? I don't know, weird. All I did was type in Resident Evil 7 into search and that's what I got back.

Well, they are promoting the game using this demo and the trailer, soyes, we should judge the game based on this demo, since this is the primary purpose of a demo.

Primary purpose of a demo is sometimes to just give the player something to mess around with until more is ready to be revealed. This seems more like an interactive teaser than a demo in my opinion.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
For those who played the demo and familiar with the series. Does this feel like an RE sequel? How is it similar to and deviate from the series?

Slaythe

Primary purpose of a demo is sometimes to just give the player something to mess around with until more is ready to be revealed. This seems more like an interactive teaser than a demo in my opinion.

Look. This is terrible. Sure it doesn't have to give away the whole game, but it's still meant to excite and hype people.

If the majority of people thinks "yeah that's not good", obviously this is a failure.

Wasn't aware people were having issues getting the demo. Downloaded it straight from the Demos section of the store here in the UK 2 hours ago.

At work now but can't wait to finish work and play it!

Ludens

Banned

Of course is a teaser, but since the trailer is very similar and since it's labelled as demo, I take it for what Capcom is selling me, a demonstrative to sell RE7, and it failed for me.

Look. This is terrible. Sure it doesn't have to give away the whole game, but it's still meant to excite and hype people.

If the majority of people thinks "yeah that's not good", obviously this is a failure.

Maybe you're just not the intended target audience? Maybe they'll blow us all away with a beta? Maybe... well you get the idea.

Of course is a teaser, but since the trailer is very similar and since it's labelled as demo, I take it for what Capcom is selling me, a demonstrative to sell RE7, and it failed for me.

See above.

Top Bottom