• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Okay, finished it. That was really something... kinda like P.T.

I got the backdoor key and the demo ended when I tried to leave. Underwhelming tbh. What did I miss?

I don't think I like this new direction. Going full-on horror will affect the sales a lot and is a very bad decision IMO.

This is not Resident Evil but I'm really looking forward to get to know more about the game. I hope the entire game won't be about just roaming around trying to figure out what's going on. I want to kick some ass with a shotgun.

Bishop89

97b4e9cc587fc18e73f537a44d8f4232.gif

Bring back the camp/cheese :'(

The Lamp

I thought most people loved PT. The only other AAA games company who does horror uses their incredibly versatile franchise to do a game that is like PT and all I see is backlash because it's not exactly like the half dozen other RE games.

Can't wait to try the demo and try to enjoy it for what it is.

I swear, every time this franchise innovates it pisses off some segment of its fans just like Legend of Zelda. They can't win.

Okay, finished it. That was really something... kinda like P.T.

I got the backdoor key and the demo ended when I tried to leave. Underwhelming tbh. What did I miss?

I don't think I like this new direction. Going full-on horror will affect the sales a lot and is a very bad decision IMO.

This is not Resident Evil but I'm really looking forward to get to know more about the game. I hope the entire game won't be about just roaming around trying to figure out what's going on. I want to kick some ass with a shotgun.

The fact that the house is almost certainly a Family research facility ( I won't say why for spoiler reasons ) means there will be plenty of surviving your way through biohazards in the final game.

Kouriozan

I'm an absolute fan of RE4, 5 was soso, didn't bother with 6 after reading impressions.
I'm loving this one so far, feel more likes a first person Fatal Frame without the Camera and I also love that IP, bring it on, Capcom :3

I've tried all of that and no demo. No demo on the Deluxe page, none on the regular page. I'm in the USA and I'm a plus member. I even clicked that link and saw no demo.

On console, go to the store and search. Find Resident Evil 7 biohazard deluxe edition. Once you highlight it hit 'X'. You should be on the pre order page for the deluxe edition. Now hit right to highlight the game page. This takes you to the standard edition page. Now hit down 3 times. This should be the demo page.

LUXURY

I believe this must be done by console. If you go to the demo section on web store you see it, with a cost of 59.99 yet no place to download a demo.

Raitaro

Hmmm. I'm not sure I like the shift to first person (assuming that this is the only camera view), especially if it is done to be better suited for VR (which I still have no interest in, partly because of having chronicly dry eyes).

I liked the tone and atmosphere but do hope that some of the elements from the old games return instead of it being completely (serious and psychological style horror) like P.T. or Outlast.

Simbabbad

Also, first person? In 20 years this game went from being a survival horror with fixed camera angles, to a 3rd person action game and now a first person horror game? This franchise is all over the place.
"All over the place", lol. The series is 20 years old, and there has been two big changes during that time, which makes about one change every ten years. "All over the place"...

Also, I thought everyone loved P.T., yet P.T. was extremely different from classic Silent Hill.

And the camera angles were originally a technical limitation, nothing more.

Piichan

Banned
You can watch the tape as many times as you want during one playthrough. Maybe doing things differently during several tape flashbacks does something? First time I unlocked the drawer for the axe, and second time I didn't, but I still kept my axe. So it probably doesn't change anything...

Slaythe

I thought most people loved PT. The only other AAA games company who does horror uses their incredibly versatile franchise to do a game that is like PT and all I see is backlash because it's not exactly like the half dozen other RE games.

Can't wait to try the demo and try to enjoy it for what it is.

I swear, every time this franchise innovates it pisses off some segment of its fans just like Legend of Zelda. They can't win.

Can people stop already ? This RE doesn't have anything that made PT so special.

Thank god that shit is gone. I had a great time with the action adventure RE4... but i'm pumped RE is going back to survival horror and a new first person view with VR capability. Pants will be shit.

I think there's no reason that RE can't support both. One set of games for the horror and one set ofr the action. Where 6 messed up is wehre it tried to service all crowds and failed everyone.

Arkeband

Banned
RE needed a refresher, the last time I played it, Wesker was doing Dragon Ball Z shit.

RE used to be legitimately scary, and then at some point it became a joke.

zma1013

This is weird that this is a numbered title. Wasn't Resident Evil 6 their best selling RE game or something? I just find it odd they wouldn't continue chasing that 3rd person action game money. I'm pleasantly surprised by the change for sure, I just don't know how this came to be and am very interested in how this pitch went within Capcom.

Download time was still acting up so I decided to delete and re-download the demo again. Seems to be working now. Have no clue why it was acting up late last night. I'll try the demo later tonight

Ferr986

So, how scary is this shit? Thinking on give it a go it if only for trying shit on suposedly getting that hidden ending.

I did experiment a lot with P.T. , even though it was scary as fuck to me lol. It was some kind of masochism trial.

Fbh

Gold Member
Going to check out the demo but I liked the tone and style of what they showed in conference.

At least it's something fresh and no more Michael Bay zombie fights

Whompa02

Huge fan of 4, thought 5 was mediocre and I wished for a reboot then...6 was just a fucking mess. Hated it. Miserable game. Miserable gameplay (you can post gifs for days, that shit sucked in-game). I'm so glad this is an actual reboot.

Cannot wait to try it myself.

jg4xchamp

Not calling you out, but if the series had kept exactly the same setup for 20years GAF would be tearing it down saying it's in need of a shake up

I mean to be fair, that just makes me think why is this even called a Resident Evil? Like yeah definitely money, and if the new game is cool, who fucking cares what the title is right? It's just be nice if Capcom was in a position to make this a new ip.

Because it really doesn't work or flow like Resident Evil, it's fine if game companies actually put some ips down, for good. It's similar to how I felt when they were showing God of War 4, glad Santa Monica isn't making just another God of War, but it still feels like a shame that some of that game is still tied to whatever they need to do to tie it into a game called "God of War".

I do think it's hilarious that we're going to get a crowd that loves Resident Evil 4, but will get mad at this game for changing too much lol

So, how scary is this shit? Thinking on give it a go it if only for trying shit on suposedly getting that hidden ending.

I did experiment a lot with P.T. , even though it was scary as fuck to me lol. It was some kind of masochism trial.

It's pretty freaky. Lots of atmosphere. Not really many jump scares but it's definitely enough to get you scared just off suspense. I really liked the demo.

butman

So no one here wants to see the back of the main character while he's playing? First person it's so lack of identity for a RE game.

Being still called RE7, doubt its a reboot. If anything the the demo and what was shown so far is just part of the game, the more actiony stuff I'm sure will still be in the game.

zma1013

I mean to be fair, that just makes me think why is this even called a Resident Evil? Like yeah definitely money, and if the new game is cool, who fucking cares what the title is right? It's just be nice if Capcom was in a position to make this a new ip.

Because it really doesn't work or flow like Resident Evil, it's fine if game companies actually put some ips down, for good. It's similar to how I felt when they were showing God of War 4, glad Santa Monica isn't making just another God of War, but it still feels like a shame that some of that game is still tied to whatever they need to do to tie it into a game called "God of War".

I do think it's hilarious that we're going to get a crowd that loves Resident Evil 4, but will get mad at this game for changing too much lol

It's all in the name. The names are powerful marketing identities. Selling a new name is much more difficult.

News Bot

Banned
I have to admit, the name "Biohazard" no longer makes sense if this ends up being supernatural instead of the usual bio-weapon variety.

There isn't the tiniest chance that it is supernatural.

Any info about the story?
I know it takes place 4 years after 6 and the location is a mansion in the middle of nowhere(is it the same place from the new cgi movie?)
Do we know the name of the main character? something tells me this demo is just the story about random survivors and not the real characters of the full game.
Correct me if there's info about that,i can't play the demo unfortunately.

The protagonist of the demo is Clancy Javis, a cameraman recently hired by the producer of a shlock paranormal investigation show "Sewer Gators." They investigate a reported haunted house abandoned three years ago by a couple, whose son was reportedly "a bad seed." This is pretty much all the plot there is so far.

jg4xchamp

If I remember correctly people were, at that point, tired of the old RE formula and so it was welcomed with open arms when the final RE4 was revealed.

Plus that game was a looker on the technical front, a lot of sins are forgiven when people see a pretty game. Plus tone wise it was still in line, in basic trailers, it wasn't until people played it they realized that you felt the survival aspects took a hit.

Top Bottom