• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Knuf

Just found this article: OVER 80,000 PANTS RUINED AS PEOPLE OPT TO PLAY ‘RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD’ IN VR

re7vr-2-1878x724.png

Considering that first total number comprises all the versions so the actual PS4/PSVR ratio can only be higher than that, I'd say VR version numbers are pretty impressive and sound like it's definitely a success, wow.

psychotron

Yep.
I almost beat Jack and then he cut off Ethan's leg like it was nothing. Of course I had no strong first aid meds on me, so all I could do was pick up my leg, admire it in the item viewer and slowly bleed to death.

This happened to me during the chainsaw fight too. I was so pissed, lol. Playing through again and getting events to play out differently. Getting to the car in the garage before Jack made that fight play out much better for me, lol.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
anyone having screen tearing ?

ps4 pro here

its anoying

I'm also playing on Pro (on a 4K/HDR screen) and can honestly say I haven't seen a single frame tear, and I'm hyper sensitive to screen-tearing.

kromeo

See this is why the puzzle difficulty is just fine in RE7.
That room is by far the hardest puzzle in the game, and while it's not that bad. It's stumped a few people I know as well.

RE uses puzzles as a means to an end. It's not meant to be the main focus. Really hard puzzles would cause that for some. However puzzle difficulty like in SH would be the best alternative.

I loved that section, hope whatever they make next features more of that kind of thing

I think it's pretty clear that Ethan
is infected. Especially when he starts seeing hallucinations of Eveline at the end of the game. Between that and his ability to recover limbs, I think the game really heavily hints toward him being infected.

Alienous

Someone is streaming the DLC potential spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgWSgLePROk

There's no good reason why this wasn't available at launch. $9.99 for, among other things, a wave-based survival mode that ought to have been on disc to replace Mercenaries.

It's Capcom bullshit all over again. They did it with Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6's multiplayer modes. They did it with Street Fighter x Tekken. It's shameless.

Jawmuncher

There's no good reason why this wasn't available at launch. $9.99 for, among other things, a wave-based survival mode that ought to have been on disc to replace Mercenaries.

It's Capcom bullshit all over again. They did it with Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6's multiplayer modes. They did it with Street Fighter x Tekken. It's shameless.
I wouldn't say all the DLC was done by the time the game went gold and was printed on discs. But I'm sure some was.
All the bonus modes being DLC definitely sticks out. One of them at minimum I bet was cut from the main game.

Nightmare DLC spoilers, incase people miss the stream

you are in the basement, you must survive until dawn. You turn on machines to generate scrap and use scrap to build guns/traps. Traps include bombs and drone type wall mounted guns.

Hour passes with each wave, Jack baker has appeared alongside standard enemies so far.

I have to go out now :(

rtcn63

Capcpom not a hero indeed

The game is extremely front-loaded when it comes to quality. The later stuff is fine, but that's all. I can't help but wince slightly at the endless euphoric impressions of the first few hours accompanied with statements like "If it keeps up this level of quality..." etc.

I'm mostly very happy with the game, though. Capcom definitely has a good blueprint on their hands for RE8 if they can just take what we have right now and follow player suggestions which seem to unanimously constitute
more enemies/more areas/longer game/better story

So after finishing the game my take/theory/opinion is that the game is a bit of a hodgepodge of various ideas that were tossed around during development. Lots of spoilery language so I'll keep all this spoilered:

It seems to almost consist of three distinct games within itself. The opening/demo section being the obvious PT/Kitchen demo re-tooled as an introduction or tutorial section, then a slightly abrupt shift to the meat of the game which seems to be where the team finally figured out how to actually go about this, then the third bizarre and out-of-place Ship act.

It leaves me pretty damn torn on what to think of the overall product to the point I'd almost want to rate the three separate acts with their own scores, the shift of gameplay style and tone seems that drastic to me in each.

Now this is a wild assumption on my part but it left the impression on me that Act 2 was where they really figured out how to make this work as a Resident Evil game but possibly ran out of time to create more content after fucking around with the other experiments for this title. Where my train of thought goes with that is that I hope RE8 will basically pick up Act 2 and go to town on that with a bigger/better/more approach. Act 2, despite my combat gripes, turned out to be fantastic and I'd love to see it elaborated upon. Hopefully this won't be as good as this new type of RE gets ala RE4 and the next one we get is another RE5.

Again, I'm just speculating, but anyway, I'd rate the game between an 8.5 and 9/10 until after the Lucas fight, easy, and probably a 6/10 at best after. It's a shame seeing how light on context the game is as it stands already. Granted, I only rented it, but if I had bought it for $60, I would've been pissed quite frankly. Obviously it's Capcom, so LULZ, but the DLC should've been included in this.

Will definitely be buying the inevitable GOTY edition with all the DLC shit on it whenever that becomes available.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
damn im so hyped that i bought it now on ps4 with season pass even though i have it on x1 just for the dlc xD

Now get a PSVR and experience it the best way. ;p

Not totally finished but close and I just want to add to the love. It's the best RE since RE4 and definitely up there with RE1 and 2 in terms of horror tension. I find myself standing still far too much just trying to hear any indication of a threat. It's fucking great and unnerving as hell.

Add me to those hoping the RE2 remake follows this approach. I would love a zombie apocalypse scenario cast in this style of RE.

The Save Room music really grew on me. I thought it was kind of lame initially but when I started to pay attention, it had a nice melancholic touch to it that I've grown to really enjoy in the Resi Save Room themes.

The music that WAS there tended to be pretty nice overall actually, as rare as it was.

Nightmare DLC spoilers, incase people miss the stream

you are in the basement, you must survive until dawn. You turn on machines to generate scrap and use scrap to build guns/traps. Traps include bombs and drone type wall mounted guns.

Hour passes with each wave, Jack baker has appeared alongside standard enemies so far.

I have to go out now :(

So it's a boring worthless piece of crap DLC.

Thanks, I'll pass.

kromeo

The Save Room music really grew on me. I thought it was kind of lame initially but when I started to pay attention, it had a nice melancholic touch to it that I've grown to really enjoy in the Resi Save Room themes.

The music that WAS there tended to be pretty nice overall actually, as rare as it was.

It's got more of a bleakness to it than previous themes, I think it fits the setting really well

rtcn63

There was save room music? It was almost completely silent for me, although I did have the volume set pretty low in-game (headphones). I googled a video and what little music there was wasn't even remotely close to that. :(

Alienous

I couldn't get over how much it reminded me of a part of The Last of Us' main theme, but played in slow motion.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
See this is why the puzzle difficulty is just fine in RE7.
That room is by far the hardest puzzle in the game, and while it's not that bad. It's stumped a few people I know as well.

RE uses puzzles as a means to an end. It's not meant to be the main focus. Really hard puzzles would cause that for some. However puzzle difficulty like in SH would be the best alternative.

The difficulty for me wasn't the puzzles themselves (didn't really struggle with any of them) but actually finding them in the environment. I remember two instances where I kept running through the same areas looking for a specific item I thought I had missed, eventually looking in an FAQ to realize there were (really easy) puzzles there I had to solve.

I looooove the save room theme. Definitely one of the best in the series imo.

dubq

I am kinda starting to hate this game. I really enjoyed the first part when it was pure horror exploration but now it's all guns and headshots and "molded" and I'm just like, enh..

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I am kinda starting to hate this game. I really enjoyed the first part when it was pure horror exploration but now it's all guns and headshots and "molded" and I'm just like, enh..

I had the experience too, until I remembered it was RE and mostly ran past molded in the mansion and basement. Last quarter of the game was a let down for sure though if you're that far. At least that part gave plenty of ammo so I didn't have to worry over wasting it like I did when initially trying to kill molded in the house.

mxgt

Banned

What did you expect? it's a Resident Evil game. Guns and monsters have been prevalent through the entire series.

Newboi

So is the
circular saw
as good at stunlocking, and just generally chewing through enemies, on Madhouse as it is on Easy and Normal difficulties? If it is, it'll probably be my main weapon of choice.

I still have a Madhouse playthrough to do. If anyone has any general madhouse tips, that would be awesome as well!

Lastly, is it true that you get something else if you beat Madhouse difficulty in under 6 hrs?

I couldn't get over how much it reminded me of a part of The Last of Us' main theme, but played in slow motion.

I looooove the save room theme. Definitely one of the best in the series imo.

I've actually never played The Last Of Us so I can't comment.

I can't say it's one of my favorite, I prefer the X-Files/Twin Peaks inspired music of old but that's also because I have a long-ass history with this series. I remember patiently awaiting the release of RE1 if that tells you anything haha.

On a completely different note, I wish they had the option to disable button prompts on items you can interact with. I still don't know why they couldn't come up with a more elegant option than those big, obnoxious white arrows/X buttons.

Top Bottom