• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This always ends up happening to me as well. I get so OCD with my item use, I'll reload the last save if I miss a few headshots or something along those lines. It was painful to have to use pistol bullets to hit the
potential exploading crates in Lucas' maze.

I read some talk of a
double barreled shotgun somewhere in here I thought, is that true? If yes, give me now.
Lol with those I just
used the knife and if one exploded on me I reloaded the save.
I too hoard like crazy for no reason. I had a shit ton of ammo and a shit ton of health unused.

kromeo

It happens in every game but 2 was the worst, the amount of grenades and magnum ammo you can have by the end is ridiculous. At least 3 gave you Nemesis to use them on

I actually think 0 did difficulty the best in the series, even if it has other issues

The game is extremely front-loaded when it comes to quality. The later stuff is fine, but that's all. I can't help but wince slightly at the endless euphoric impressions of the first few hours accompanied with statements like "If it keeps up this level of quality..." etc.

I'm mostly very happy with the game, though. Capcom definitely has a good blueprint on their hands for RE8 if they can just take what we have right now and follow player suggestions which seem to unanimously constitute
more enemies/more areas/longer game/better story
This is pretty much my takeaway from RE7 as well. It's a very good game, but not a great one. I'm obviously thrilled by this direction for RE, but a lot of what RE7 does hits the bare minimum of what Capcom should have been doing the past decade with this series; RE7 is what the Revelations games should have been.

Sure, it's an amazing feeling when you get a few hours in and you realize it's classic RE game design, and it's awesome because it's been such a long time since Capcom has made a game like this. But in taking a step back and looking at the whole game's body of work, it's just not one of the best "one of those." It is a good one, though.

(Spoilers for if you've finished the game...)

Things really did take a turn, though, after the final Jack fight. Everything was built up for a Lucas fight here, and all of a sudden Jack's back out of nowhere? This had "we're saving Lucas for DLC" written all over it. I also thought the Mia/Zoe decision was super-dumb and a lazy excuse for multiple endings. It would be one thing if they developed Zoe at all beyond "she calls you on the phone a few times". And then after the choice (I picked Mia), she and Lucas are both forgotten about for the rest of the game. Bizarre. Even though I don't feel like the game was too long or too short, this strange resolution to the plot made it feel like something was missing.

I actually really liked the Ship location. I wasn't expecting it to be as substantial a section of the game as it was. Taking essentially two passes at it was almost Silent Hill-esque. But boy, the Mines and then the final boss, all of that was terrible. I was drowning in ammo/health after the ship level, and just liberally sprayed bullets all over the glorified shooting gallery that was to come. And then, The Evil Within and now this: what's up with final bosses being practically QTEs, no longer requiring you to save powerful ammo? I hate this trend in survival horror games! Hate it!

That last hour and change was a really terrible way for such a good game to end, and is an even bigger bummer considering how close Capcom got to nailing it.

Things I'd like to see improved on in RE8:

1. Better enemy variety. Similar problem as Revelations, with the ooze enemies. I know zombies are played out, but the molded and the ooze are just crappier versions of them, so you might as well go with the series' staple. A main RE game hasn't had traditional, bona fide RE zombies since RE0. That's insane! As this game went on, not having enemies like lickers or hunters really hurt.

2. More challenging puzzles. I don't need to be stumped by everything like some of the puzzles in RE3, but the puzzles in RE7 are so simple that they might as well not even be there. It's a trend that really started with RE4, and has continued with each game since, where it seems like the developers feel like they have to keep including puzzles "because RE games have to have puzzles", but that their heart isn't in it. The "Happy Birthday" puzzle was pretty good, but nothing else was noteworthy. The clock puzzle and the paintings puzzle were so embarrassing that I can't really understand their inclusion. A riddle difficulty like Silent Hill used to do would go a long way here. Oh, about that:

3. A "Hard" mode available at the start. Madhouse isn't really meant to be played from the start, and RE7's "Normal" gives you waaaaaaaaay too many items and not enough of a penalty for dying and/or hitting "Retry" when things don't go so well. I don't really want an "arrange mode", I just want the threat of losing progress if I die, puzzles that require me to think for more than a few seconds, and actually being scarce on supplies on more than a couple of occasions. Fucking up and having to deal with the consequences of that still totally needs to be a thing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's some details on the next Banned Footage Volume 2 DLC stuff:

21:
Blackjack with Saw/RE7 elements hosted by Lucas. In a game of Blackjack survival pit against other people Lucas has captured with Lucas commentating over the game. While playing Blackjack there's other stuff and dangers you have to survive from as well as you try to be the last survivor of Lucas' twisted game. Has a story mode version and a more 'survival' mode version ala Nightmare in the first Banned Footage batch.

Daughters:
Prologue chapter for RE7 back when the Bakers were human. Play as Zoe. Have to deal with Lucas, who's up to something. Has some puzzle/exploration/story focus, and has three different endings.

Jack's 55th Birthday:
Multi-level mode where Jack sits at a table with a party hat on and demands to be fed. You go around the level with monsters and threats while collecting ingredients, combining them, cooking them correctly, and trying to find clues on what Jack wants. Feed him what he wants and prepare it well and a meter fills, feed him the wrong thing and he pukes it out and meter gets lost. Fill him up to complete the stage and go to the next one. Mode apparently is actually challenging and set over decorated locales from the game, how well you do may or may not unlock joke weapons (like a toy lasergun for a handgun) in the main game.

Alienous

This is pretty much my takeaway from RE7 as well. It's a very good game, but not a great one. I'm obviously thrilled by this direction for RE, but a lot of what RE7 does hits the bare minimum of what Capcom should have been doing the past decade with this series; RE7 is what the Revelations games should have been.

Sure, it's an amazing feeling when you get a few hours in and you realize it's classic RE game design, and it's awesome because it's been such a long time since Capcom has made a game like this. But in taking a step back and looking at the whole game's body of work, it's just not one of the best "one of those." It is a good one, though.

(Spoilers for if you've finished the game...)

Things really did take a turn, though, after the final Jack fight. Everything was built up for a Lucas fight here, and all of a sudden Jack's back out of nowhere? This had "we're saving Lucas for DLC" written all over it. I also thought the Mia/Zoe decision was super-dumb and a lazy excuse for multiple endings. It would be one thing if they developed Zoe at all beyond "she calls you on the phone a few times". And then after the choice (I picked Mia), she and Lucas are both forgotten about for the rest of the game. Bizarre. Even though I don't feel like the game was too long or too short, this strange resolution to the plot made it feel like something was missing.

I actually really liked the Ship location. I wasn't expecting it to be as substantial a section of the game as it was. Taking essentially two passes at it was almost Silent Hill-esque. But boy, the Mines and then the final boss, all of that was terrible. I was drowning in ammo/health after the ship level, and just liberally sprayed bullets all over the glorified shooting gallery that was to come. And then, The Evil Within and now this: what's up with final bosses being practically QTEs, no longer requiring you to save powerful ammo? I hate this trend in survival horror games! Hate it!

That last hour and change was a really terrible way for such a good game to end, and is an even bigger bummer considering how close Capcom got to nailing it.

Things I'd like to see improved on in RE8:

1. Better enemy variety. Similar problem as Revelations, with the ooze enemies. I know zombies are played out, but the molded and the ooze are just crappier versions of them, so you might as well go with the series' staple. A main RE game hasn't had traditional, bona fide RE zombies since RE0. That's insane! As this game went on, not having enemies like lickers or hunters really hurt.

2. More challenging puzzles. I don't need to be stumped by everything like some of the puzzles in RE3, but the puzzles in RE7 are so simple that they might as well not even be there. It's a trend that really started with RE4, and has continued with each game since, where it seems like the developers feel like they have to keep including puzzles "because RE games have to have puzzles", but that their heart isn't in it. The "Happy Birthday" puzzle was pretty good, but nothing else was noteworthy. The clock puzzle and the paintings puzzle were so embarrassing that I can't really understand their inclusion. A riddle difficulty like Silent Hill used to do would go a long way here. Oh, about that:

3. A "Hard" mode available at the start. Madhouse isn't really meant to be played from the start, and RE7's "Normal" gives you waaaaaaaaay too many items and not enough of a penalty for dying and/or hitting "Retry" when things don't go so well. I don't really want an "arrange mode", I just want the threat of losing progress if I die, puzzles that require me to think for more than a few seconds, and actually being scarce on supplies on more than a couple of occasions. Fucking up and having to deal with the consequences of that still totally needs to be a thing.

Yeah, this represents how I feel about the game too, and I agree with your suggested improvements, such as a puzzle difficulty option - you can feel that they are caught between wanting to make engaging puzzles and not wanting to turn RE7 into a puzzle game.

And yeah, the game could have really used
enemies with personality outside of the Baker family. Enemies where I'm developing strategies for defeating them beyond 'aim for the head'.

Overall it was a 7.5/10 experience for me. They built a solid foundation for a modern Resident Evil game that felt true to the series' roots, but
they betray that more and more as the game goes on.
. But it leaves the franchise in a far better place than Resident Evil 6 did - I'm looking forward to the DLC and seeing how where they'll take Resident Evil next.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lol with those I just
used the knife and if one exploded on me I reloaded the save.
I too hoard like crazy for no reason. I had a shit ton of ammo and a shit ton of health unused.

Yeah, I'm super paranoid after getting stuck at a boss fairly far into Code Veronica back on Dreamcast that I didn't have enough ammo to beat. The inventory management, worry about ammo and health packs is my least favorite part of these games. It was fine in RE7 though, I had plenty--though I also mostly ran from Molded during the first three quarters of the game in case I needed more for bosses which ended up not being an issue as there's plenty of shotgun shells etc. At least on Normal.

21:
Blackjack with Saw/RE7 elements hosted by Lucas. In a game of Blackjack survival pit against other people Lucas has captured with Lucas commentating over the game. While playing Blackjack there's other stuff and dangers you have to survive from as well as you try to be the last survivor of Lucas' twisted game. Has a story mode version and a more 'survival' mode version ala Nightmare in the first Banned Footage batch.

Daughters:
Prologue chapter for RE7 back when the Bakers were human. Play as Zoe. Have to deal with Lucas, who's up to something. Has some puzzle/exploration/story focus, and has three different endings.

Jack's 55th Birthday:
Multi-level mode where Jack sits at a table with a party hat on and demands to be fed. You go around the level with monsters and threats while collecting ingredients, combining them, cooking them correctly, and trying to find clues on what Jack wants. Feed him what he wants and prepare it well and a meter fills, feed him the wrong thing and he pukes it out and meter gets lost. Fill him up to complete the stage and go to the next one. Mode apparently is actually challenging and set over decorated locales from the game, how well you do may or may not unlock joke weapons (like a toy lasergun for a handgun) in the main game.

Jacks Birthday sounds amazing. Cannot wait for that. Would be cool if 21
had online, I know it definitely won't, but in a Dead Rising 2 random multiplayer gameshow kind of way.

Spinky

So how does the Season Pass work on PS4? I just bought it but none of it downloaded, just the theme.

Granted I don't have a PS4 copy of the game yet, it'll be here tomorrow.

Thinking on a portion I did last night, how you
play through the birthday tape with Clancy and die in a fire, then find yourself in the exact same place as Ethan and wondering what you're supposed to do in order to avoid that fate
. Absolutely brilliant. I can't believe people are saying that it starts strong but gets weaker, I'm in the latter part
of the ship
section and it has been at least as good, and creative. Story also got a lot more interesting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So how does the Season Pass work on PS4? I just bought it but none of it downloaded, just the theme.

Granted I don't have a PS4 copy of the game yet, it'll be here tomorrow.

It should just download when it's available. PSN updates at different itimes for different regions, but the first DLC (Banned Footage Volume 1) releases on PS4 today and should release within the next 24 hours.

cyba89

Just finished it . Last area and final boss was weak unfortunately but I really liked the rest of the game (better than RE5 and 6).

Liked the grandma reveal and how you end up in the first location at the end. Also lmao at Ethan throwing the phone out of the helicopter at the end (ending 2).

21:

Daughters:

Jack's 55th Birthday:

All of these sound great, I should probably get the season pass.

kromeo

Thinking on a portion I did last night, how you
play through the birthday tape with Clancy and die in a fire, then find yourself in the exact same place as Ethan and wondering what you're supposed to do in order to avoid that fate
. Absolutely brilliant. I can't believe people are saying that it starts strong but gets weaker, I'm in the latter part
of the ship
section and it has been at least as good, and creative. Story also got a lot more interesting.

I enjoyed the ship but i think the game does lose something without the looming threat of the Bakers

Zuzzissm0

It should just download when it's available. PSN updates at different itimes for different regions, but the first DLC (Banned Footage Volume 1) releases on PS4 today and should release within the next 24 hours.

all i know that the streams earlier today where from nz thats why they have the dlc today because its the 31 there

I enjoyed the ship but i think the game does lose something without the looming threat of the Bakers

My take on this is that you have
three very elaborate portions of the game involving the Bakers
and I think that's plenty. I think that stuff is great, but
maybe if it were the entire game that it may feel lacking in variety. The first half with Jack and Marge is a good chunk of the game, but it's still just hiding and solving puzzles, making progress

It's fantastic, but for me variety is the spice of life, and I think how they change it up after the second half with
the entire Lucas section being brilliant, and switching you over to Mia's POV as you explore that dark ship with very little resources leading to the more action-packed tape was very cool
. And as I said I liked how the story really ramped up there and began moving the pieces around the board. The
ship also feels somewhat like a traditional lab section, as you go from old decrepit houses to industrial structure

Essentially, I think the game stays strong and changes things up later. This is a good thing to me. It doesn't stay with the exact same shtick.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think the game really could have used another difficulty. Something in between normal and madhouse. Maybe a mode that's basically identical to normal but with less items and limited saves. I would have picked that at the start. I was about to pick madhouse on my first run but the game was insisting that was a bad idea for a first run. Which is probably right. Game needed a hard mode.

I think the game really could have used another difficulty. Something in between normal and madhouse. Maybe a mode that's basically identical to normal but with less items and limited saves. I would have picked that at the start. I was about to pick madhouse on my first run but the game was insisting that was a bad idea for a first run. Which is probably right. Game needed a hard mode.

Agreed

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I finished the game last night, but I could never figure out exactly how blocking works. With the defense coin, sometimes it seemed to nullify damage completely, while other times I seemed to take damage.

Is there a detailed explanation out there that someone can help me with? Are you supposed to time it correctly or is the effect the same as long as your arms are up?

rtcn63

It's strange when you consider that the last few mainline RE games had a "Veteran" difficulty in-between Normal and Professional (which is probably closer to what Madhouse is).

My take on this is that you have
three very elaborate portions of the game involving the Bakers
and I think that's plenty. I think that stuff is great, but
maybe if it were the entire game that it may feel lacking in variety. The first half with Jack and Marge is a good chunk of the game, but it's still just hiding and solving puzzles, making progress

It's fantastic, but for me variety is the spice of life, and I think how they change it up after the second half with
the entire Lucas section being brilliant, and switching you over to Mia's POV as you explore that dark ship with very little resources leading to the more action-packed tape was very cool
. And as I said I liked how the story really ramped up there and began moving the pieces around the board. The
ship also feels somewhat like a traditional lab section, as you go from old decrepit houses to industrial structure

Essentially, I think the game stays strong and changes things up later. This is a good thing to me. It doesn't stay with the exact same shtick.

The Bakers helped with the variety though. Because in addition to puzzle solving and exploring and fighting the occasional molded, you have to worry about these unique stalker type enemies that are very destiny in function and personality. Towards the end of the game you lose the more distinct detailed enemies and locations (compare the individual rooms of the Baker mansion to the ones of the ship, the ship rooms all blend together for me but each room in the Baker house tells a unqiue story and feels different) and instead you're just going through more linear areas with fewer puzzles and the focus is almost entirely on shooting molded with no new enemy types added in to compensate.
I think the game could have even fleshed out the earlier locations even further so as to replace the structure of the ending few areas and the game would have been significantly improved.

21:

Daughters:

Jack's 55th Birthday:

That sounds pretty dope actually.

Jawmuncher

I will completely disagree about harder puzzles. If we're asking for it period and not as a option like in silent hill games. This is another case where the die hard community here isn't evident of the masses. My more casual friends are having some trouble with the puzzles, but still figuring them out. So right now I feel their at a good balance. Only thing I would say for certain is that they need more variety. The shadow stuff was way too frequent.

Yeah, this might be the mercenaries mode this game needs.

Watching the DLC of the first, and reading the summary of the second. Sounds like they'll be neat diversions. But the first isn't looking like it'll have the meat of mercs and raids for long term.

The Bakers helped with the variety though. Because in addition to puzzle solving and exploring and fighting the occasional molded, you have to worry about these unique stalker type enemies that are very destiny in function and personality

I'm in agreement. I'm just saying that I'm totally fine with the game doing other things as it goes.
Jack section was unique, Marge section was unique, Lucas section was even more unique, ship, etc. That's as far as I am though so I can't comment about the rest of the game
. I was very satisfied with each different slice of the game so far.

rtcn63

I will completely disagree about harder puzzles. If we're asking for it period and not as a option like in silent hill games. This is another case where the die hard community here isn't evident of the masses. My more casual friends are having some trouble with the puzzles, but still figuring them out. So right now I feel their at a good balance. Only thing I would say for certain is that they need more variety. The shadow stuff was way too frequent.

It's like after showing the shadow puzzle in one of the trailers, Capcpom was all "we can't go back".

I'm in agreement. I'm just saying that I'm totally fine with the game doing other things as it goes.
Jack section was unique, Marge section was unique, Lucas section was even more unique, ship, etc. That's as far as I am though so I can't comment about the rest of the game
. I was very satisfied with each different slice of the game so far.

I thought the Lucas section could have been better. I liked the traps, but not actually encountering Lucas at all + the linearity was kinda disappointing. Avoiding a stalker and traps at the same time while exploring would have been tense as hell. The ship has good level design and atmosphere though at least to compensate for feeling kinda by the numbers. I won't spoil the rest of the game obviously but I think the end game is pretty weak.

0racle

Guys

I really need some advice here. I think I messed up my collectables run and dont know the best course of action.

I am in the house and just finished the dissection room.

I missed some items in the first area, the guest house. do I get a chance to go back and get them? is it worth while to continue with the antique coins/data pages if I cant go back and get them?

are those collectables counted on the current play through or across all saves? if so could I just go and make a save and run and get them and the trophies/unlockables will pop?

I think I have got all the MR everywhere so far so ill continue to get them. I just need clarification on the data pages and coins.

Thanks !

The coin I missed was the
first video you watch with the camera man/two anchors doing the haunted house show. can i watch that again some how and get the coin in the kitchen of the guest house?

Just had an anatomy practical- all I could think of the entire time was this game when looking at those gross corpses.

I think the games getting much easier as you go on works well thematically. A "face your fears" kind of things. This is why they normally change from horror to scifi vibes too.

I thought the Lucas section could have been better. I liked the traps, but not actually encountering Lucas at all + the linearity was kinda disappointing. Avoiding a stalker and traps at the same time while exploring would have been tense as hell. The ship has good level design and atmosphere though at least to compensate for feeling kinda by the numbers. I won't spoil the rest of the game obviously but I think the end game is pretty weak.

I thought the
Lucas stuff
was incredibly clever and intense. I was being very very careful through all of that and I absolutely loved the
barn rave
themed boss. That sounded amazing on my sound setup. And the
birthday tape/repeat of birthday tape
sequence might've been my favorite part of the game so far. I didn't mind not encountering
Lucas
as I considered his "game" to be the encounter. I was always tense because I was just like
what is this crazy lunatic going to throw
at me now? It felt extremely unpredictable. And that feeling kept up during the entire thing for me.

Watching the DLC of the first, and reading the summary of the second. Sounds like they'll be neat diversions. But the first isn't looking like it'll have the meat of mercs and raids for long term.

Oh yeah, nothing will beat mercenaries mode.

But I could easily see myself blowing tons of more hours on Ethan Must Die alone

I thought the
Lucas stuff
was incredibly clever and intense. I was being very very careful through all of that and I absolutely loved the
barn rave
sequence might've been my favorite part of the game so far. I didn't mind not encountering
Lucas
as I considered his "game" to be the encounter.

The
happy birthday
stuff was fantastic (kinda wish there were more puzzles of this caliber in the game). But I can't help but feel the area could have been so much more. It was a good idea that wasn't taken far enough to be great imo. The level design of
the ship
combined with all the
trap
stuff would have been cool.

I thought the
Lucas stuff
barn rave
Lucas
as I considered his "game" to be the encounter. I was always tense because I was just like
what is this crazy lunatic going to throw
at me now? It felt extremely unpredictable. And that feeling kept up during the entire thing for me.

I feel like the game could've had more
cool scavenger hunting in the 3rd act. As soon as you get the cop head in the fridge I was getting super hyped like "Holy crap, do I have to go back to the main house and do a bunch of more shit there" and unfortunately it doesn't go as far with that as I wanted it to, you just go to the cops body and that's it. I wish we had more reasons to explore the main house again.

LUXURY

I'm enjoying this game, however
the ship bit started to dip for me. The whole demon/possessed child has been done to death and just reminded me of the past 5 years of shitty horror films based on it. I'm passed the ship part moving onto the next section so I hope it picks back up for me.
As much as I enjoy this game, it doesn't really feel like Resident Evil. It could be it's own horror game. I don't feel too much of a Resident Evil vibe from this except green herbs.

I feel like the game could've had more
cool scavenger hunting in the 3rd act. As soon as you get the cop head in the fridge I was getting super hyped like "Holy crap, do I have to go back to the main house and do a bunch of more shit there" and unfortunately it doesn't go as far with that as I wanted it to, you just go to the cops body and that's it. I wish we had more reasons to explore the main house again.

Hmmm I thought there was a bit more to it than that,
getting the keycards and the bedroom/attic. By that point I thought I'd seen enough of the house, and really I'm not sure what much else they could've did
, it's intricate enough but it's not a Spencer mansion :p

Hmmm I thought there was a bit more to it than that,
getting the keycards and the bedroom/attic. By that point I thought I'd seen enough of the house, and really I'm not sure what much else they could've did
, it's intricate enough but it's not a Spencer mansion :p

Well I mean
the house itself got all molded up, so it'd be interesting to have the house itself have more stuff in it now that it looks different. It'd be cool to at least have more optional stuff.

Well I mean
the house itself got all molded up, so it'd be interesting to have the house itself have more stuff in it now that it looks different. It'd be cool to at least have more optional stuff.

I would absolutely love the next game to be like this, but even more robust and fleshed out. I think it's fleshed out enough on its own but it's hard not to think about the original for example. I think RE7 was largely an experiment that turned out to be an awesome game, but it doesn't quite hit the level of intricacy found in the first few games. This is an area that can be improved upon. I'm just saying that personally by the time you're through with that stuff that I was happy to see the change-ups that happened.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Low Shadows? Because you want it or because you need it?

I'm close to running this game at max settings with a 970.
I've never enjoyed shadows in any game, usually turn them down or off as I see no benefit.
Hmm it is running very well on my 1070 at 1440p + 1.1 pixel density and max settings (TAA).
Try turning off shadow cache instead of lowering shadow quality.
Cheers, I'll turn everything up and see if that works out.

Top Bottom