• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Maximo

So I started a third playthrough, putting a few hours into Madhouse mode.

I'm actually feeling a little remorse at not incorporating experience with Madhouse mode into my views on the game so far. What Capcom has done with it is incredible. Sure it's infuriatingly brutal at times, but it has to be said that they put a lot of work into it. It both elevates the base experience to something new and subverts your expectations to wonderful effect. I've often wished RE would revisit the Director's Cut and Claire B/Leon B approach to remixing content, and those beautiful bastards at Capcom have gone and done just that. The entire game feels mysterious and new all over again. Enemy and item placement is totally re-arranged, and I can take nothing for granted. Jack isn't just a buffon idling around in corridors anymore, he's THE FUCKING NEMESIS. It's actually shockingly well revised and balanced meticulously. If the base game gave me that feeling of investigating the Spencer Mansion for the first time, Madhouse mode is akin to flipping RE2 discs for post-game scenarios. Fantastic.

I've warmed to RE7 a lot since my first play, which was already positive, and Madhouse mode is only sweetening the deal even further. My estimation of RE7 is steadily rising. I still maintain that it's far from perfect, but it's a bloody good RE game.

Fuck might have to play on Madhouse sounds good.

Syinn

Neo Member
Fun game. Took about 7 hours on normal.

Got ending 1. Anyone get ending 2? Would like to know what it is.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Fuck might have to play on Madhouse sounds good.

Yeah but if you don't play Normal, then there's no expectations to play with!

Yep, even just the first
Mia
encounter went from being a cakewalk in the base game to some Dark Souls ass shit.

iyn7ecmg7ooq.gif

Jito

Banned
3 hours in and it's living up to my hopes, spooky areas to explore, items to collect and intense boss fights!

So I started a third playthrough, putting a few hours into Madhouse mode.

I'm actually feeling a little remorse at not incorporating experience with Madhouse mode into my views on the game so far. What Capcom has done with it is incredible. Sure it's infuriatingly brutal at times, but it has to be said that they put a lot of work into it. It both elevates the base experience to something new and subverts your expectations to wonderful effect. I've often wished RE would revisit the Director's Cut and Claire B/Leon B approach to remixing content, and those beautiful bastards at Capcom have gone and done just that. The entire game feels mysterious and new all over again. Enemy and item placement is totally re-arranged, and I can take nothing for granted. Jack isn't just a buffon idling around in corridors anymore, he's THE FUCKING NEMESIS. It's actually shockingly well revised and balanced meticulously. If the base game gave me that feeling of investigating the Spencer Mansion for the first time, Madhouse mode is akin to flipping RE2 discs for post-game scenarios. Fantastic.

I've warmed to RE7 a lot since my first play, which was already positive, and Madhouse mode is only sweetening the deal even further. My estimation of RE7 is steadily rising. I still maintain that it's far from perfect, but it's a bloody good RE game.

This basically sounds like my dream come true for extra difficulty modes.

Neff

Yeah but if you don't play Normal, then there's no expectations to play with!

Yeah I recommend playing on normal first. Madhouse is extremely hard. Not unreasonable, but possibly very frustrating. And the way it changes the game around is very clever.

Also, it will be hard to go back to normal mode afterwards. The default difficulty has clearly been designed to let players adjust to the new systems before they're thrown in the deep end. And there were times during my first playthrough on normal where I found it decently challenging.

I do think Madhouse feels like the real RE7 experience, but let it surprise you once you think you know everything.

This basically sounds like my dream come true for extra difficulty modes.

It's the best one I've ever seen. It makes the game feel very different, and it's very good indeed.

Go to Gamestop to get Collector's Edition at 9pm.

Get told no Gamestops received theirs because they weren't shipped because of the Chinese New Year!!??

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Yep, even just the first
Mia
encounter went from being a cakewalk in the base game to some Dark Souls ass shit.

Can we take a moment to just highlight how amazing
Mia's
debut is? Most games and films have things be slower, pronounced, and exaggerated when an attack happens.

That moment is just so....it sounds tacky to say visceral, but I can't imagine that being one of the first things to experience out of VR after the frightening appearance in of itself just seconds prior.

It's a shame that it doesn't translate into the actual encounters gameplay-wise, but that would likely have been near impossible.

azz0r

Banned
Can I just say that I literally had to take the headset off and take a breather after the first fight with the axe.

It was so genuinely intense fighting for my life and I came out the headset feeling like it had really just happened. Minus the pain.

Incredible.

Ferrio

Banned
Bought the game, don't know why... I'll probably shit my pants and stop. Main reason I didn't wanna buy it was I wanted to hold off for Vive modded support or something. I figure if I'm going to shit my pants, better do it in style.

Bought the game, don't know why... I'll probably shit my pants and stop. Main reason I didn't wanna buy it was I wanted to hold off for Vive modded support or something. I figure if I'm going to shit my pants, better do it in style.

Prefill your pants with shit

Then u wont care

Mia spent so much time walking with the chainsaw in that fight that I didn't know she could run. Woman scared the shit out of me just now.

Gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised that the RE4 bonus was a physical copy of the game and not just a download code.

Now, to start RE7. Wish me luck.
p5SKlBk.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, uh.

Wasn't this supposed to unlock five minutes ago on Steam?

54 minutes from now, 9 PM PST / 12 AM EST. Steam timers show to the lower hour, IE, if it says it has 2 hours left, it just means it's under 3 hours but above 2 hours. when it switches to 1 hour, it means it's under 2 hours but above 1 hour.

Top Bottom