• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Foxxsoxx

I don't know how the rest of the game will play out, but the first two and so hours of the game is fairly linear in progression, and quite heavily scripted. The "encounters" also generally follow a set pattern. These could affect the replayability of a second playthrough if the rest of the game is similar. Someone who finished the game should be able to give you a more informed opinion, but I just wanted to lay out my thoughts on the game so far.

Though I guess, on a second play through, you're usually gunning for trophies/achievements and such, so it won't matter as much.

Yeah I'm wanting to buy it really badly because I love the direction they're going in but I know it'll go on sale soon and I'm sure it won't be incredibly replayable like RE4.

Meanwhile I could likely Redbox it for maybe 10 dollars and then buy it down the line.

Some fairly non spoiler pics I took but just in case for those sensitive.

AP8R2tYh.jpg

SCGCiONh.png

i8qlfOmh.jpg

ilqe7PNh.png

95TrNPlh.png

1ZKsYt4h.png

Some of these shots remind of Condemned. I mean the combat isn't no where near the same, but god damn, some of these shots make me really want a Condemned sequel.

Gonna try asking again since more people are finally getting their hands on the game:

(Spoiler for something that happens about an hour plus in)
How do you reattach limbs? I just can't figure out how it works. I put the leg in my inventory and mash the heal button but it doesn't seem to work.

HonMirin

SKUs
BIOHAZARD 7 Grotesque Version – Japan Only
A CERO Z-rated, more violent, more gory alternative to the standard SKU. This has a red cover versus the beige one.
Dammit! Anyone seen any footage of this? I might grab it if there's English subs.

Also are there any bonuses for finishing the game in a certain time, like previous resi entries?

Jawmuncher

Dammit! Anyone seen any footage of this? I might grab it if there's English subs.

Also are there any bonuses for finishing the game in a certain time, like previous resi entries?

This is the US version. The standard Japanese release is censored.

AlexBasch

So...I'm not sure how or why but the Deluxe Edition was like $49 USD ($1062 MXN) in the XB1 Mexican store, so I caved in and bought it.

Bad news is, I forgot to leave the XB1 on, so I could have let it download and play when I get home from work (got the day off tomorrow and wednesday). :(

It better be good GAF! Now I don't have money to buy that BF1 on sale. :p

Installing now. Mad hype.

For what it's worth, the unlockables seem to be unlocked each subsequent playthrough, which would explain why a certain unlockable(
infinite ammo
) was previously reported to be the speedrun reward, and then the madhouse reward.So just beat it twice on any difficulty and so on.

Theodran

If The Evil Within is anything to go by, it pretty much puts the gore at the same or similar level as the US/EU versions. Resident Evil has traditionally been a CERO D title in Japan, and it has a CERO D version. There probably is no additional gore to the Western versions. (Actually, if anything, it might be slightly dumbed down compared to the Western counterparts.)

i was going to rent from redbox tonight, but they said that it wont be in the machine till 8 pm tomorrow night-or a week from then at the latest for some reason. Kinda considering going to pick it up at gamestop now. So conflicted, so many other games coming out.

Astral

Fucking wow. The GameStop I preordered this shit from told me they'd be open till 10 for this game. I get here at 9:30 and I see the girls working there pulling down the shutters. I knock and gesture that someone told me it was 10 that they'd close. They don't even have the decency to open the door and tell me anything. She just shakes her head and closes the shutter on me. My blood is fucking boiling wtf is this? The game unlocks at midnight on PSN right? I'm not waiting till tomorrow to buy the game from these dicks.

MazeHaze

Banned
For anyone who played this, or the demo on PC, how are the kb and m controls? It feels weird to think about playing an RE game without a controller, but I usually prefer first person games with a mouse, analog sticks feel very sluggish. You can adjust the sensitivity to turn faster, but then your aiming goes to shit.

MazeHaze

Banned
No idea where the idea that the RE games before 4 weren't short. This game is longer than those games bruh, what are you talking about?

Seconded here. I think re1 took me around 6 hours, re2 was about 2.5 or 3 hours per scenario (and let's be real each scenario is mostly the same thing) re3 was about 5 or 6. Never finished CV because that game sucks.

10 hours sounds like plenty to me for a first run, the time value in these games always came from multiple play throughs with rankings and bonus items to unlock. Hell I could probably run through REmake in a couple of hours if I wanted to. Once you know the puzzle solutions these games are stupid short.

Astral

I've never preordered a game on PSN before. How do I download it? Or do I have to wait for the "playable" timer to expire first?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I've never preordered a game on PSN before. How do I download it? Or do I have to wait for the "playable" timer to expire first?

Go to your library on the dashboard. It's the rightmost thing. Then go to purchased games, RE7 and download it. Then once it's downloaded, press the option button on it's icon and check for updates to download the patch.

Astral

Go to your library on the dashboard. It's the rightmost thing. Then go to purchased games, RE7 and download it. Then once it's downloaded, press the option button on it's icon and check for updates to download the patch.

After you've purchased it go to your Library from the main PS menu and if it's not downloading you should be able to prompt it to right now

I just figured it out, thanks. Fuck I don't think it'll finish by 12 though. Fuck GameStop.

Mupod

Here's hoping Nvidia can get a driver out...seems like they've given up even caring about game ready drivers these days.

Neff

So I started a third playthrough, putting a few hours into Madhouse mode.

I'm actually feeling a little remorse at not incorporating experience with Madhouse mode into my views on the game so far. What Capcom has done with it is incredible. Sure it's infuriatingly brutal at times, but it has to be said that they put a lot of work into it. It both elevates the base experience to something new and subverts your expectations to wonderful effect. I've often wished RE would revisit the Director's Cut and Claire B/Leon B approach to remixing content, and those beautiful bastards at Capcom have gone and done just that. The entire game feels mysterious and new all over again. Enemy and item placement is totally re-arranged, and I can take nothing for granted. Jack isn't just a buffon idling around in corridors anymore, he's THE FUCKING NEMESIS. It's actually shockingly well revised and balanced meticulously. If the base game gave me that feeling of investigating the Spencer Mansion for the first time, Madhouse mode is akin to flipping RE2 discs for post-game scenarios. Fantastic.

I've warmed to RE7 a lot since my first play, which was already positive, and Madhouse mode is only sweetening the deal even further. My estimation of RE7 is steadily rising. I still maintain that it's far from perfect, but it's a bloody good RE game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm actually feeling a little remorse at not incorporating experience with Madhouse mode into my views on the game so far. What Capcom has done with it is incredible. Sure it's infuriatingly brutal at times, but it has to be said that they put a lot of work into it. It both elevates the base experience to something new and subverts your expectations to wonderful effect. I've often wished RE would revisit the Director's Cut and Claire B/Leon B approach to remixing content, and those beautiful bastards at Capcom have gone and done just that. The entire game feels mysterious and new all over again. Enemy and item placement is totally re-arranged, and I can take nothing for granted. Jack isn't just a buffon idling around in corridors anymore, he's THE FUCKING NEMESIS. It's actually shockingly well revised and balanced meticulously. If the base game gave me that feeling of investigating the Spencer Mansion for the first time, Madhouse mode is akin to flipping RE2 discs for post-game scenarios. Fantastic.

I've warmed to RE7 a lot since my first play, which was already positive, and Madhouse mode is only sweetening the deal even further. My estimation of RE7 is steadily rising. I still maintain that it's far from perfect, but it's a bloody good RE game.

So what is Madhouse mode and what does it do?

robertoci

Just played for a couple of hours before bed and early impressions are fantastic!
This really does feel like a classic RE just done in a modern day skin, along with the refinements that come with it naturally.
Atmosphere is great and a big bonus is that it doesn't rely on jump scares (so far anyway)
Looks like this could be the return to form that we'd been hoping for after all this time!

Zuzzissm0

Gonna try asking again since more people are finally getting their hands on the game:

(Spoiler for something that happens about an hour plus in)
How do you reattach limbs? I just can't figure out how it works. I put the leg in my inventory and mash the heal button but it doesn't seem to work.

than you dont have a first aid

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just tried the demo in VR. I turned it off like 2 minutes in when I discovered the secret passage in the starter room(fireplace handle). I couldn't even come close to going through that little passage that opens. Noped the fuck out.

I am afraid I won't be buying this game as I have become a total wuss in my older age...

Just tried the demo in VR. I turned it off like 2 minutes in when I discovered the secret passage in the starter room(fireplace handle). I couldn't even come close to going through that little passage that opens. Noped the fuck out.

I am afraid I won't be buying this game as I have become a total wuss in my older age...

SHOOK

yeah, you'd have to pay me $$$$$$$ to play this in VR, would be so scared and die if I played this in VR lol

It basically says, ok we know you know the rules... well guess again mofo. Lol

Lulubop

Wow.

Capgod

Fucking gimme it already

Give this game to me... Now.

Neff

So what is Madhouse mode and what does it do?

- No checkpoints
- Can only save by using cassettes in cassette players, cassettes are limited and must be found
- Enemy placement changed
- Enemies are tougher, more alert, hit harder and move faster
- All item placement (including key items) changed
- Bigger reliance on coins and cages, with some being mandatory

It basically says, ok we know you know the rules... well guess again mofo. Lol

Yep, even just the first
Mia
encounter went from being a cakewalk in the base game to some Dark Souls ass shit.

Top Bottom