• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

dlauv

The only thing I could say is perhaps do make it like RE4-5.

This is exactly what I meant. My complaints were lobbied at RE6's melee balancing. Instant-kills, same animations over and over with little-to-no crowd control properties. It funneled the dynamics of combat and made it far less varied. No Mercy alleviated this somewhat by flooding the stages with enemies, servicing the movement mechanics more at least.

And I'm not sure anyone actually liked the gunplay in RE6, or at least preferred it to anything else. It's only in service to watching 10+ minutes of the same kill animations. Although I do see appeal in quickshot. Weak-sounding weapons with no real nuance between them and enemies that react very little before melting where they stand, usually as you continue to unload.

The Rev games neutered melee entirely. It was seemingly random as to when you'd get an enemy into a stun state, attacks were visually unimpressive, and the charging mechanic made it a bit of a chore. All of this on top of some obviously budgeted, mediocre gunplay.

Wel I was just combining it a bit. Since those games can be played like 6 with melee set ups. Especially later on in RE4 when you can suplex.

Kind of in some spots but not really. It's not an instant-kill, doesn't have much crowd control, and you can get swarmed regularly with shield guys and guys with head armor and las plagas.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hell no haha. (Madhouse difficulty spoilers)
Mia didn't kill me once in Madhouse. Neither did Mutated Jack but he was obviously a lot harder. Marguerite and The Fat Fucks in the barn though...Oooff. That was some Dark Souls shit hahaha.
Mia and Marguerite were the hardest fights in the game for me. Both killed me a ton. Fat molded only killed me once and final Jack killed me a few times.

I'm about to start my first Madhouse run and, yes, I will be using the
Circular Saw
. I'm not ashamed in the least and I admire those that completed MH without it. All I want is the
unlimited ammo
. Nothing more. I feel like I'll get too frustrated if I play MH without it. I'm a bitch. :p

Madhouse enemies are just shitty bullet sponges anyway. It's the lamest new difficulty method.

Otnopolit

Oh man, that'd be a trip. I knew it was a classic but to walk in on it unexpectedly after playing this game would definitely be a weird moment haha

I had to pick my jaw up, it was surreal. I actually learn alongside the 3rd graders, maybe I'll screech through it soon.

Can you understand how I was expecting an "Aunt Rhody" character to show up somewhere in the game?

Totally! I'd like to see the DLC somehow make a little more sense of the song in the narrative context, but it works well on it's own.

xCaZx

Neo Member
I had a good time playing through RE7 and I plan on going back and re-playing the game soon.

That said, I am still not sold on the first person perspective. I can recall during the first scene, I was sitting there asking myself "why does this seem weird". Then it hit me...the first person mode was throwing me off.

I don't hate it and it even grew on me a little as I continued playing. However, I never quite shook the feeling that it felt like I was playing outlast.

Overall, a very good game, I simply prefer the 3rd person or isometric fixed camera from the previous main entries to the series.

Inuteu

anyone could finish 21 survivor mode +?

I was only 2 oponents left (out of 10)

but they seem to be real cheaters

I had a good time playing through RE7 and I plan on going back and re-playing the game soon.

That said, I am still not sold on the first person perspective. I can recall during the first scene, I was sitting there asking myself "why does this seem weird". Then it hit me...the first person mode was throwing me off.

I don't hate it and it even grew on me a little as I continued playing. However, I never quite shook the feeling that it felt like I was playing outlast.

Overall, a very good game, I simply prefer the 3rd person or isometric fixed camera from the previous main entries to the series.

Could also be the chromatic aberration and the almost viscous filter quality of the outdoor part as it started up.

Halfway through Madhouse. Lots of fun with the saw. Anyway, apart from the coins is there anything else different in this mode I should watch for?

It's tight, y'all. This is the Resident Evil I imagined years back. I'm a few hours in and absolutely love it. Haters of this game with any respect for the original are straight TRIPPIN

Needs 21:9 support though.

Other than that, I'm happy we finally got to this stage in the series. Looking forward to playing this in VR.

Coldsun

Banned
It's tight, y'all. This is the Resident Evil I imagined years back. I'm a few hours in and absolutely love it. Haters of this game with any respect for the original are straight TRIPPIN

Needs 21:9 support though.

Other than that, I'm happy we finally got to this stage in the series. Looking forward to playing this in VR.

You can hexedit in 21:9 support. WSGF forums have the info.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started madhouse yesterday and
evading Jack
in the beginning is super frustrating. He's so fast. I'm guessing the hard times are over when I get to the item box for the first time, but in the 6 or so times I tried yesterday I couldn't make it. Watched a speedrun vid and just
going for the key and slamming the doors afterwards should work
. Trying that later tonight.

Started madhouse yesterday and
evading Jack
in the beginning is super frustrating. He's so fast. I'm guessing the hard times are over when I get to the item box for the first time, but in the 6 or so times I tried yesterday I couldn't make it. Watched a speedrun vid and just
going for the key and slamming the doors afterwards should work
. Trying that later tonight.

He does stagger really easily if you just spam the
circular saw
and he couldn't hurt me when I did.

He'd try to swing at me and then stagger because of my
saw blade constantly spinning

Yeah, currently playing on Madhouse as well, and the first encounters were definitely the hardest. I'm also handicapping myself by attempting it without using the saw or any other endgame unlocks. Enhanced handgun ammo is OP in this mode.

Yeah, currently playing on Madhouse as well, and the first encounters were definitely the hardest. I'm also handicapping myself by attempting it without using the saw or any other endgame unlocks. Enhanced handgun ammo is OP in this mode.

36670527.jpg

You brave man. Braver than I.

anyone could finish 21 survivor mode +?

I was only 2 oponents left (out of 10)

but they seem to be real cheaters

Yeah I finished it on my first try, but it did get intense at the end. If you got to only 2 opponents left you should be able to finish it no problem. I keep hearing about cheating AI, but I don't get it. The only means they have to cheat is with the trump cards, but you can use them too! Just make sure to save your best ones for when you really need them, and it's very doable.

The more you play the more trump cards you unlock for your own use so if all else fails it only gets easier over time.

Haha yeah, there have been a lot of BS moments, and I usually do a few retries just to make sure I don't use up too much ammo or healing items. I'm currently on my seventh try with
monster Jack in the boathouse

It took me long enough on my 2.5 hour speedrun because I forgot to pick up the GL and so much ammo for other guns. Ended up having to knife the last couple.

Still refused to retry and always loaded my old save

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
He does stagger really easily if you just spam the
circular saw
and he couldn't hurt me when I did.

He'd try to swing at me and then stagger because of my
saw blade constantly spinning

It's actually right before I can get to the box for the first time, when he's running around the ground floor. He always gets me on the way to the hatch, fucker's fast.

It's actually right before I can get to the box for the first time, when he's running around the ground floor. He always gets me on the way to the hatch, fucker's fast.

Trigger him by walking down the corridor - leg it to the garage steps - watch him enter the dining room - get the key - leg it back to the garage steps - wait for him to walk back to where he came from - use hatch.

Ninja

quick question

just finished the mia remembers tape in the boat. I did not pick up the grenade launcher in the house, completely missed it. So far, I have not had any problems advancing without the grenade launcher. Will I get another boss battle and will I need the grenade launcher? Also, Am I 80% done witht he game? I think the boat is the last part of the game

quick question

just finished the mia remembers tape in the boat. I did not pick up the grenade launcher in the house, completely missed it. So far, I have not had any problems advancing without the grenade launcher. Will I get another boss battle and will I need the grenade launcher? Also, Am I 80% done witht he game? I think the boat is the last part of the game
No the grenade launcher isn't necessary. but I'm pretty sure there is a way to obtain it even if you missed it later on. Yeah after the Boat, there is another section that's pretty short, about 87% done imo.

quick question

It'd make things much easier at a certain point right before the end of the game but nah you're all good.

I forgot it entirely on my speedrun and you are past the bit I had trouble with

It'd make things much easier at a certain point right before the end of the game but nah you're all good.

I forgot it entirely on my speedrun and you are past the bit I had trouble with
Lol I'm not sure of this myself but several people have told me that you can get
the grenade launcher in the Mines and it'll spawn there. Perhaps in that room with the flame rounds?

Lol I'm not sure of this myself but several people have told me that you can get
the grenade launcher in the Mines and it'll spawn there. Perhaps in that room with the flame rounds?
After the
boat
you enter a hut with a radio you can use to listen to the
special forces
chatter, is a item box in the hut also, it can be on a table there along with some bombs.

Pinky

Banned
Trigger him by walking down the corridor - leg it to the garage steps - watch him enter the dining room - get the key - leg it back to the garage steps - wait for him to walk back to where he came from - use hatch.

Ninja

Haven't started MH yet because this sequence is what intimidates me the most,
considering you have to deal with him before you can get to the laundry/save room to grab your unlockables
. Think I'll give your strategy a shot!

Any advice on what to use my antique coins on first? I just got to the camper.

Get the health boost first. Don't spend coins on the reload speed boost. You can get that another way without spending coins.

Any advice on what to use my antique coins on first? I just got to the camper.

Go for either the steroids (if you find that you're always running low on health) or stabilizer first. Just keep in mind that the steroids also act as a full heal.

EDIT: Just finished Madhouse without using any of the unlockables, and damn was it satisfying.
I'm still not sure whether getting the magnum over the attack coin was the right move, but I definitely think buying the scorpion key for the stronger shotgun was crucial.

And here's my successful attempt at the
mutant Jack
boss fight (spoilers in the video obvi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRDbhFX7dzM

I kind of want to go through it again, to be honest, but maybe I should try the DLC. Are they worth playing?

valeu

I started RE7 the day it came out and just finished. I played beginning to end in VR. My time was: 12:41:57. Clearly, I took my sweet time with it. Some nights I would just play from one save spot to save spot to the next, or I would just accomplish a few goals then stop, mostly, just because I would get too scared and / or was playing right before bed and didn't have much more than a half hour to play. So, I absolutely adored the game beginning to end. Were there some missed opportunities? In my opinion, yes. I would have added:
another different type of Lucas / Saw-inspired level culminating in a boss battle with him. I might have missed something but where did he go?? The ship needed a boss battle. The mines could have had a new enemy type. And I would have died if the soldier at the end had removed his helmet and it had been Leon.
Other than that...I have no complaints. I liked how the game ended,
going back to the main house and Eveline's visions to the end, and how it was tied together.
I have zero else to say negative, and those weren't really negatives, just things I think could have taken it from a 9.4/10 to a 10/10. All that said, I'm glad I got the season pass so I get more to play. For me, it seemed inspired by American Horror Story more than anything, in the way that that series takes elements from very different horror genres / series and combines them into one package. I felt that
Jack was your typical Halloween / Friday the 13th slasher enemy; Margarite was demon-possessed; Lucas was Jigsaw; and Eveline was goth mutant-powered. As I learned more about Eveline, I started thinking that maybe she watched horror movies in her confinement and assigned a different horror-enemy-type to each Baker.

I sort of can't imagine not playing in VR because in VR it is astounding and terrifying. I felt constant dread and anxiety, hearing the sounds, and wondering what was going to be in the darkness ahead, and peaking around corners or through holes in the walls. I was there. I screamed out loud about 6 times. I wouldn't say I had post-traumatic stress disorder, but it did effect me and like I said, I could only play in half-hour amounts (until the
mine
, which I played to the end because it wasn't so scary, but I still enjoyed it.)

I absolutely didn't expect it to be so good, and terrifying, and for the VR to be so intensely immersive, and to enjoy the characters and story and world as much as I did. Bravo to the team for taking such big risks and I hope RE8 is a continuation in a different setting and with a different story and characters, but equally horrifying, and with an option for PSVR 2.0, and an option for 3rd person so that everyone is happy. RE7 is now my new favorite in the series, followed by RE1(HD REMAKE), and RE4.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Ninja

I did the first part and that was enough for it to work, thanks. Let him go to the living room, then ran for the key. He chased me down into the kitchen but I closed to the door giving me just enough time.

Now with the
circular saw it's like I found the win button, what a weapon. Chainsaw Jack went down in less than a minute I think.

Does the game auto save at all on the PC? I got the game last night off of Steam and probably about 2 hrs in. The only reason I ask is unlike PS4 where we have suspend mode, once you exit Steam when you continue the game on PC does it bring you to your previous save by the tape recorder or the last spot where I had seen some auto save or auto load in the upper left hand side of the screen.

So far digging this game and has that classic RE vibe. I haven't felt this tense in a game in so long. Every corner I'm like waiting something to jump out at me.

I have a PS4 pro and even considered getting this on there too if the load doesn't allow you to continue where you left off on the PC.

bumpkin

Got my platinum! Feels good. Just started the DLC and beat Nightmare, that was fucking intense.
Speaking of the DLC, what is the consensus in the thread; season pass worth it so far or no?

After hearing that Madhouse brings back an ink ribbon paradigm for saving and has no checkpoints, I'm not sure I'll bother going for Platinum. I'm terrible at Resident Evil games or any sort of FPS in general, I died a few times on Easy. That's how bad I am. lol.

Top Bottom