• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Jawmuncher

Question for thread: What are your RE8 hopes?

Personally, I want to explore a giant, luxuriant mansion this time, one maybe larger than the area you explore in REmake. Tons of rooms, puzzles, hidden areas, explorable gardens/yards (maybe a hedge maze), etc.

I hope it plays like RE6

img_1287o0yel.gif

Pinky

Banned

Personally, I want to explore a giant, luxuriant mansion this time, one maybe larger than the area you explore in REmake. Tons of rooms, puzzles, hidden areas, explorable gardens/yards (maybe a hedge maze), etc.

Take inspiration from Dawn of the Dead and set it inside a large, abandoned mall. Imagine all the clever interconnectivity they can do with a layout like that. Different stores within the mall, huge department stores, the unseen areas behind the stores, maintenance areas, air vents/ducts, etc... The entrance to the secret lab is under Sbarro. Beat the game once and you get a key to a GameStop-type store in the mall where you can access DLC for the game. Beat the game on the highest difficulty and you'll receive a key that unlocks the gate to the outdoor/hunting shop where every weapon and unlimited ammo is made available to you.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I don't know how well it would work but maybe the suburbs? You'd explore several mcmansions in a gated cul de sac or something. A forest/park would be close by. It would be like Stepford Wives where everything seems perfect at first, but little by little red flags pop up before then all hell breaks loose.

I want it to expand on RE7--particularly the first Baker house portion of the game. Increase the complexity of the levels with a good amount of path choice and having to plan routes around supplies and enemies. I don't think a mansion is the right way to go since we just got a largely housebound location, but whatever it is should be really detailed and personalized like the Baker house was. I wouldn't mind something a bit more industrial, like an urban location to mirror the jump from RE1-RE2. Maybe some sort of aparment compex as the main area and neighboring stores/streets/factories for some environmental progression. Just keep the lonely, isolated vibe. So maybe it could be set in a whole mountain town or something. Whatever it is should very clearly have its own identity (a really creepy, atmospheric one naturally) and not feel too derivative of locations that came before.

Keep the balance of horror and action, but have more enemy types and have stricter resources/inventory size and more backtracking so you really have to plan where you are going and what you are bringing.

Throw in some better puzzles, a few more boss battles and you're golden.

Start tying the story in a bit more with the overarching narrative maybe, and I wouldn't mind the protagonist being a lesser used series character (Billy would fit this style quite well imo).

I'd also like some mechanics to mess with player expectations and create constant tension. I don't think there need to be more stalker characters, but some more resilient enemies that can burst through doors (a door blocking mechanic based on a limited resource would be awesome) would be cool.

The enemies should have solid personality too, that's what made the Bakers great and the amorphous blob like molded kinda boring. They should be human-esque so they can taunt you and shit but have really frightening transformations that happen dynamically. But they shouldn't be invulnerable either.

Oh, and bring back dogs as enemies and make them viscious as fuck. Some of the more human-esque enemies could have them on chain leashes and then sick em on you if they see you.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Actually putting some effort into the speedrun now and I'm 1:25 in before
entering the Lucas area
It's crazy how quickly you can progress once you get past the first part.

On the dlc: if that rumour is true I may get the pass if goes on sale somewhere down the line this year. I'm holding out on the banned footage stuff since it's not that essential apparently.

Santar

On the dlc: if that rumour is true I may get the pass if goes on sale somewhere down the line this year. I'm holding out on the banned footage stuff since it's not that essential apparently.

Rumor? What rumor is that?
I've been quite disappointed with the DLC so far. It's so short and feels a bit lazy with all the clunky minigame modes. Regret buying the season pass unless the remaining elusive story chapter is really good. Who am I kidding, I'll still regret it, I don't think it'll be worth 26$ no matter how good it is.

Off topic, I've been playing REmake again for the first time in years and years, and boy it's still every bit as incredibly good as I remember. Certainly a lot better than RE 7, and I enjoyed RE 7.

Jawmuncher

No, seriously though.

If there gonna bring back RE6 gameplay, I have no problem with that.

But they're bringing it back within a standalone Mercenaries game, because that's all that combat is worth.

We had 3 actiony RE mainline games in a row. We can't just do horror once, then just back down for no reason.

You know how I am.
they can ditch horror in a heartbeat and you won't see me complain. Though of course I'll play whatever comes out with the RE name

myco666

No, seriously though.

If there gonna bring back RE6 gameplay, I have no problem with that.

But they're bringing it back within a standalone Mercenaries game, because that's all that combat is worth.

We had 3 actiony RE mainline games in a row. We can't just do horror once, then just back down for no reason.

Mercenaries won't have balls to the walls story and set pieces though.

I am fine with next instalment being action or horror. Both are fine.

dcx4610

I really enjoyed first person Resident Evil but I like the over the shoulder style as well. I wouldn't mind them running two separate series at the same time or alternating every year with the different styles.

jonno394

So some very sparse details on the final season pass DLC piece for Resident Evil 7, aka DLC 3:

It is a full side campaign with an original story that is tied somehow into RE7 and in an entirely new location that wasn't in RE7. It's going to be a few hours long. It's directed by someone who was a lead designer on P.T. who joined Capcom after Kojima's studio disbanded. It is still relatively early in development and we won't see it until near the end of the year. It has a horror focus where Not A Hero has an action focus.

Is this separate to the "not a hero" chapter coming in spring?

Santar

So some very sparse details on the final season pass DLC piece for Resident Evil 7, aka DLC 3:

It is a full side campaign with an original story that is tied somehow into RE7 and in an entirely new location that wasn't in RE7. It's going to be a few hours long. It's directed by someone who was a lead designer on P.T. who joined Capcom after Kojima's studio disbanded. It is still relatively early in development and we won't see it until near the end of the year. It has a horror focus where Not A Hero has an action focus.

Ahh so that's the rumor fot DLC 3.
Doesn't sound very appealing to me to be honest as I'm not a fan of obtuse puzzle solving like in P.T. Also sounds very short, just like the other DLCs.
Gotta say I'm not a fan of DLC not being created by the same leads as the main game.
The Evil Within had that problem too with the DLC being very different to the main game in gameplay style.

Anyone have the true ending solution for daughters?

This got posted earlier

Got the True ending for Daughters DLC..
Get the lockpick at the start. When Lucas seats down at the dining table look at his phone to see a 4 digit code. before coming to Eveline go to the bathroom, use the lockpick to one of the drawers and retrieve the button for the trophy in the lucas old room. Go up to the secret room. Use the phone code to the laptop and you will see hint to get the Lion head for the door going outside. It will be in the veranda, you need to squeeze behind the stacked furnitures. Then go outside. Mia will be at the trailer.

Ahh so that's the rumor fot DLC 3.
Doesn't sound very appealing to me to be honest as I'm not a fan of obtuse puzzle solving like in P.T. Also sounds very short, just like the other DLCs.
Gotta say I'm not a fan of DLC not being created by the same leads as the main game.
The Evil Within had that problem too with the DLC being very different to the main game in gameplay style.

It's not gonna be ontuse PT puzzles. PT and beginning hour were only designed that way because they were meant to be crowd sourced solutions to drive up hype for the full game. A couple hours long sounds more substantial than the DLC we've gotten thus far too.

Focus on small outbreaks of biohazards or bioweapons with mysterious origin. Vary up the settings and reveal a little more of the overall larger story and classic resident evil characters each time. New protagonist for each game.

Basically make it like a serial xfiles style mystery and different horror elements.

Resident Evil 7 and Revelations are both now more horror centric. We need another spinoff game that deals with the action centric aspect of the series.

Would absolutely love for it to have RE6 type combat

Resident Evil 7 and Revelations are both now more horror centric. We need another spinoff game that deals with the action centric aspect of the series.

Would absolutely love for it to have RE6 type combat

I think Revelations is action already, it just needs to expand the mechanics and get a bigger budget so it can have larger scale set-pieces. I like that it keeps the horror vibe at the forefront, because I'm of the opinion they can definitely make a successful marriage of RE6 mobility and melee focused mechanics with more grounded and horrifying aesthetics and tone.

I'm not reading all of the thread since I'm still playing the game hahah (just got outside the house to the estate for the first time)

Just passing by to say that I thought that I would have a harder time playing on FPV but it hasn't bothered me that much. A good experience as of now.

I would like RE8 to be third person but also maintain the horror vibes and survival aspect. Melee systems can easily break the game. Even in RE4 the headshot, kick and knife combo was OP but party compensated by more mobs. Notice how RE7 has none of that.

I reckon something more subdued than RE4. Nowhere near the trash that was RE6.

carlsojo

RE8 should be RE7-2. And by that I mean in VR, with someone/something hunting you periodically. More enemy variety.

By the way Jack's 55th Birthday is awesome. Season Pass redeemed.

xtianmarq

I'd be down with huge mansion, underground, urban/town, industrial/lab settings - these were great staples of the earlier games. And I wouldn't even mind first person - I thought the first person perspective of RE7 was great at creating tension and fear. However, I would like a story that is a little more "sensible" - the whole revelation about Eveline was honestly the biggest letdown of RE7 for me.

Spoo

21 Survival+ is pretty tricky. You really need a lot of luck to get through, and even then you need to play really smart.

Jack's birthday stuff, I don't care much for. It's just a puzzle mode -- figure out the route and get S rank -- same stuff every time.

Daughters is awesome but short.

This DLC is slightly worse than the first imho, but still okay.

Pinky

Banned
To satisfy both camps, could Capcom make RE8 with both first and third-person views? Somewhat similar to how you can switch views in GTAV? Keep them as separate modes or allow the player to switch between the two views dynamically during gameplay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else having a problem getting the game to load up after installing Banned Footage Vol. 2? I get all the developer logos and warnings but it doesn't move past the VHS tape loading image to get to the menu. I've restarted the game and my Pro a few times, rebuilt the database, deleted my save data, and uninstalled/reinstalled the game. It still won't load. Other games boot up fine.

Anyone else having a problem getting the game to load up after installing Banned Footage Vol. 2? I get all the developer logos and warnings but it doesn't move past the VHS tape loading image to get to the menu. I've restarted the game and my Pro a few times, rebuilt the database, deleted my save data, and uninstalled/reinstalled the game. It still won't load. Other games boot up fine.

Having a similar issue. Reinstalled the game and the DLC now shows in the Extras menu, but as soon as I click on Banned Footage I get the error code ce-34878-0.

K' Dash

So, I just made a decision, you know what I'm talking about, is this a point of no return to the mansion? I just got the 9 coins for the Magnum and while I have a save prior the boss fight, I'd rather not walk all the way to the trailer :/

Roussow

So say Revelations 3 (probably the most plausible RE spin-off game currently in development) comes along and it it plays closer to RE6 than Rev2, would anyone be disappointed? Maybe bring in Rev2's stealth mechanics and more thoughtful co-op design philosophy, but keep the RE6 melee system, keep the diving & dashing, and the tight as fuck controls. I think that's the best way to handle this. I'd prefer Resident Evil 8 to double down on the foundation laid by RE7, it's a fucking good format for the series, and I haven't even tried it in VR.

Ghazi

So, I just made a decision, you know what I'm talking about, is this a point of no return to the mansion? I just got the 9 coins for the Magnum and while I have a save prior the boss fight, I'd rather not walk all the way to the trailer :/
You will be back, eventually, though you won't be able to access the trailer. You can still get the Magnum and the other items at another location

Top Bottom