• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

myco666

So say Revelations 3 (probably the most plausible RE spin-off game currently in development) comes along and it it plays closer to RE6 than Rev2, would anyone be disappointed? Maybe bring in Rev2's stealth mechanics and more thoughtful co-op design philosophy, but keep the RE6 melee system, keep the diving & dashing, and the tight as fuck controls. I think that's the best way to handle this. I'd prefer Resident Evil 8 to double down on the foundation laid by RE7, it's a fucking good format for the series, and I haven't even tried it in VR.

Nope. Rev3 needs ignore everything from Rev2. It has nothing that should be carried over.

So say Revelations 3 (probably the most plausible RE spin-off game currently in development) comes along and it it plays closer to RE6 than Rev2, would anyone be disappointed? Maybe bring in Rev2's stealth mechanics and more thoughtful co-op design philosophy, but keep the RE6 melee system, keep the diving & dashing, and the tight as fuck controls. I think that's the best way to handle this. I'd prefer Resident Evil 8 to double down on the foundation laid by RE7, it's a fucking good format for the series, and I haven't even tried it in VR.

Of course some fans will be disappointed.. this is Resident Evil after all. Revelations hAve their fans too. I enjoyed Rev2 and would be sad to see it go the all out action route. But if it's the price of getting horror RE back I'll pay it.

Jawmuncher

I feel like at this point Rev 1 and 2 more or less evolved back into the mainline anyway. Since that's what those games were trying to do in the first place anyway.

I personally think they should ditch the Revelations subtitle and start a new sub line if that is how action RE will live on.

Roussow

While we're at RE8 speculation / hopes; does anyone think VR compromised what RE7 is in any abrasive way?

I kind of had this perspective after my first playthrough, especially given some certain boss encounters. But I think I was looking at it with tunnel vision, beyond the first-person perspective these encounters that I thought were VR prioritized were incredibly similar to encounters from earlier games. I was just fixated on a few specific instances of small player spaces that felt "room scale", even though that's not even how PSVR works.

I'm totally turned around on this now though, although I'd still argue that the two best boss-type encounters were in the [location spoilers here, folks] G
arage
and in the G
reenhouse
, which happen to avoid the trope I was deriding.

RSB

Banned
I hope it plays like RE6

img_1287o0yel.gif
Yep. I'd also be happy if they use the classic RE formula, but if the RE2 Remake is in the classic style (like it should) then going the action route for RE8 would make more sense (and I totally want more of that awesome combat)

So yeah, action or classic RE would be fine by me. What I don't want is any more games in the style of RE7, that's for sure.

And no matter what style they do next I hope they go back to the tone, the visual style and the character designs of previous games in the series.

dlauv

No more games centered around setting up canned animations over and over -- unless they provide crowd control and aren't op in a power/time sense compared to guns, like RE4. I like animations as a flourish and tactical conceit, not as an end-all. The latter creates perhaps the most repetitive superhero gaming experience I've played.

I want RE8 to basically expand on the Baker mansion in a meaningful, intelligent way. For example, the ship had a great navigational puzzle that would have been more exciting in a better, less repetitive setting. In other words, it didn't have to be delegated to some distant portion of the game. Its concept could have been organically implemented during your stay at the Baker mansion. Maybe a stalker would have helped.

And the Baker mansion, as it was, was kind of lite on depth. It was still exciting in the form it was in, so the potential is frustratingly apparent.

People seem to be too busy complaining about how it isn't classic/horror RE instead of appreciating one of the best TPS/combat systems in a game ever.

Pretty gross, considering the actual act of TPSing is poor in RE6. You can set up canned animations for days on top of a convoluted control scheme, but I don't see how you can't see how that wouldn't appeal to the mainstream.

I'm about 60% into this game according to estimations here on Gaf (I asked a few pages back) and so far, it's been one of my favorite experiences of this generation. I always lo K forward to my time with this game. I'm not able to play as often as I'd like, but when I do it's such a great experience.

BadWolf

I personally think they should ditch the Revelations subtitle and start a new sub line if that is how action RE will live on.

Either this or give the combat system to Dino Crisis or a new IP.

People seem to be too busy complaining about how it isn't classic/horror RE instead of appreciating one of the best TPS/combat systems in a game ever. So in this regard I kinda feel that it's being wasted on RE.

One thing I have liked about the Banned Footage stuff is there's sort of a hidden narrative of the terrible fate of Clancy the Cameraman. That dude went though some shit.

myco666

Either this or give the combat system to Dino Crisis or a new IP.

People seem to be too busy complaining about how it isn't classic/horror RE instead of appreciating one of the best TPS/combat systems in a game ever. So in this regard I kinda feel that it's being wasted on RE.

I kinda think this too but I wanna see Chris punching boulders and Leon running away from giant robots.

Rev 2 was an imrpovement over Rev 1 in pretty much every way, except for the Raid mode.

This implies that Rev1 was actually good.

dlauv

Rev 2 was a decent attempt at porting The Last of Us to PC. I don't think it's much better than Rev 1 though, at least in terms of gameplay. Both are kind of unremarkable shoot 'em ups with a couple standout sequences. Rev 2 had a more entertaining story though for sure.

I don't think I'd want a Rev 3 in the TPS style if it's going to be another low-budget affair. That shit dilutes the franchise even if it's only meant to target hardcore fans. If they go back to a prior style, I hope it's some kind of HITMAN-episodic-styled Outbreak game.

As for combat focus, a medium-budget Dino Crisis 4 with RE6's crazy-ass finisher animations, with RE4 sensibilities in weapon handling and combat balance (still able to move and shoot though), made by people who know level design please. Imagine dodging around and taking on like five raptors at once. You'd likely have an actual reason to do the mid-slide 180 from RE6.

The credits are rolling. I figure I would just put my thoughts here, if anyone cares.

Big fan of the series mind you. Going into this I was skeptical because I did not enjoy the demo and the secretive marketing for the game didn't help too much to get me excited. The first half of this game is just incredible, simply put. The Bakers house and everything around it was fantastic. Felt very much like the original resident evil even with the first person view. The atmosphere, the boss fights, the inventory management, and puzzles I think were great and the pacing was great too! Loved the environment changes going from the house, morgue, the backyard, greenhouse, docks, and the lucas "saw" area was enjoyable too. Even if you're more of a fan of RE5 and 6, you can still appreciate the direction they had in the first half of the game.

The game shits the bed once you get to the ship part. My goodness. The whole feel is totally different from the other half of the game. I feels like Capcom tried hard to be a FEAR game to me. She is no Alma! This little girl isn't scary at all and it all felt lame to me. They throw too many enemies at you from here ti'll the end. What were they thinking? It feels like some other team entirely took over on development and fucked it all up.

Other key thoughts-

Final boss fight: wtf is this shit? is this a joke? I fired like 50 machine gun rounds and the game ended? This is an insult. for real
The enemy variety - outside of boss fights theres literally like 4 or 5 enemy types the whole game? this becomes more evident in the second half of the game when they throw everything at you and its the same damn thing. The enemy types you do get are hardly even different from one another.
Its a VR game- if you're not playing this game in VR it comes off as a similar feeling as watching a movie that was geared for 3D without 3D glasses. Capcom really wants you to play this in VR and the final product shows this. it may be the best way to play it, though.
Its VR game length- Its pretty damn short
Redfield- Capcom remembered they were making a Resident Evil game and needed to throw in some character cameo at the very end. (either they forgot or they thought maybe the audience would if they didn't include that and a umbrella logo)
VHS segements- Neat, I liked most of these and they really do help you out once you get to that part of the game
Boss fights- I liked how these fights can play out a bit differently depending on what you do or don't do. Apart from the last "boss fight" the others were awesome and fun.
Game isn't scary- great atmosphere, but not scary. Too many jump scares that cater to VR and jump scares are not scary. Thats being startled, not scared. Japanese horror is Physcological and this game has none of it.

I could come up with more but that's all i can remember right now. I give the game a 7.5/10 first half is a solid 9/10.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The credits are rolling. I figure I would just put my thoughts here, if anyone cares.

Good post, and I agree with your thoughts
on the ship part
, however it didn't impact my overall impression of the game that much, since the segment wasn't that long. However I will say that
kid Eveline pales as a nemesis compared to the other members of the family. Jack, Marge and Lucas were the real stars of this game.

I finished my speedrun yesterday, clocked in at 2:40. I even got some optional weapons and wasted some time saving and managing items. Now to finish off with a madhouse run. I didn't think I would do 4 total runs, but I want the platinum and every unlock.

One thing I have liked about the Banned Footage stuff is there's sort of a hidden narrative of the terrible fate of Clancy the Cameraman. That dude went though some shit.

It's sort of weak that
he goes through all of that shit and then ends up dying in the Happy Birthday tape of all things.

Finally making progress on Madhouse

Beat Mia in the attic after about the 6th attempt

Now it's just a case of going through the game and collecting all the antique coins.

Quick question - (SPOILERS)
In the OG playthrough when you get to the trailer the main house is completely safe (if you kill all the molded you meet)
. Is it the same for madhouse? Like am I free to just roam about collecting stuff and antique coins or is
JACK
still a constant threat?

The lack of checkpoints worries me.

Game isn't scary- great atmosphere, but not scary. Too many jump scares that cater to VR and jump scares are not scary. Thats being startled, not scared. Japanese horror is Physcological and this game has none of it[/SPOILER]

Not sure why you expected psychological horror. The whole rest of the series is basically zombie, b-movie, body horror inspired with tons of jumpscares. 7 actually has fewer jump scares than some of the classic games. The tension in RE comes from the atmosphere and limited resources.

Zakalwe

Banned

Now it's just a case of going through the game and collecting all the antique coins.

In the OG playthrough when you get to the trailer the main house is completely safe (if you kill all the molded you meet)
. Is it the same for madhouse? Like am I free to just roam about collecting stuff and antique coins or is
JACK
still a constant threat?

All I'm going to say is: take it slowly and don't assume you're safe. :)

All I'm going to say is: take it slowly and don't assume you're safe. :)

That answer doesn't fill me with much confidence...... haha

I try to take it slowly now but I find myself sprinting at full pelt everywhere with my fingers firmly held over the L2 and R2 with my
Circular Saw
out ready to unleash hell on whatever I face.

It's not like I find the game scary anymore, or even difficult (after
Mia attic fight
) It's just.... I hate having to re-do sections if I die. Like it infuriates me lol.

Zakalwe

Banned

I try to take it slowly now but I find myself sprinting at full pelt everywhere with my fingers firmly held over the L2 and R2 with my
Circular Saw

Mia attic fight
) It's just.... I hate having to re-do sections if I die. Like it infuriates me lol.

Oh man, you should really
put that saw away
! It's going to make it so much easier, and I really think MH should be experienced fully (at least the first run) without it.

I mean, even with it there are certain encounters that are going to be a bitch, but still...

You're going to have to redo sections at times. Every now and then something will just fuck you up out of nowhere unless you're creeping around at full alert, and even then it can get really relentless.

Not sure why you expected psychological horror. The whole rest of the series is basically zombie, b-movie, body horror inspired with tons of jumpscares. 7 actually has fewer jump scares than some of the classic games. The tension in RE comes from the atmosphere and limited resources.

Kept seeing people say it was so scary they had to stop playing VR or had to close / alt tab the game. So i figured its scary now to the point where it messes with your head.

after i finished it i thought i had played a different game than them.

myco666

Circular Saw

Mia attic fight

It isn't scary but man did some of those new enemy placements make me jump and go "Fuck this. I'm outta here.".

Planet

Anybody saying this game isn't scary must be a real badass! Everybody put down whatever you are doing and admire them right now!

Played through the game in VR, never felt like I couldn't take it anymore but it sure is scary to wander dark foul places not knowing what happens next. That's what made it fun for me.

Pinky

Banned
The parts that always got me was when
old lady Eveline would randomly appear in certain areas of the house. The one that freaked me out the most was when she popped up in the boiler room when you're backtracking to get the Snake Key in the dissection room.
Fuck that shit!

myco666

Anybody saying this game isn't scary must be a real badass! Everybody put down whatever you are doing and admire them right now!

Played through the game in VR, never felt like I couldn't take it anymore but it sure is scary to wander dark foul places not knowing what happens next. That's what made it fun for me.

Come one. Something being scary is very subjective. For example I can't handle ghost stuff so Fatal Frame games are nightmare fuel for me. This game however feels like Evil Dead 2 meaning I am just laughing at the stupidity of it all.

old lady Eveline would randomly appear in certain areas of the house. The one that freaked me out the most was when she popped up in the boiler room when you're backtracking to get the Snake Key in the dissection room.
Fuck that shit!

While the idea of that is really good the problem is
she isn't threatening. If she actually was threatening then it probably would have got me.

Pretty much this.

Best was at
the ship. On normal there is this one molded which doesn't have hands and it is facing away from you when you see it. On Madhouse there is a fat molded who is facing you and much closer to the corner.

It's very tame as a horror game, most horror games are, they last too long and any fear quickly wears off. Especially when you realise the mechanics of where Jack etc can chase and how limited he is/safe you are.

Pinky

Banned
While the idea of that is really good the problem is
she isn't threatening. If she actually was threatening then it probably would have got me.

While you're correct, no one would have known what to expect on their first playthrough. There were a few times where I
expected her to lunge at me. Even then, that wasn't my biggest concern. Anytime I would see her in a new area, my anxieties would make me wonder if her sudden presence was a que that something bad was about to happen, like new molded spawning in areas where they weren't before. I always made it a point to come to a complete halt and proceed with caution. Of course, on subsequent playthroughs, I knew what to expect. Now, when I come across her, I'm like "Sup, granny?"
. :p

Otnopolit

As it turns out, Go Tell Aunt Rhody is a classic folk song. I learned this when walking into my students violin class (2nd graders) and the teacher was showing them how to play it. I had a really weird moment of like "Whaaaaat...."

JACK
still a constant threat?

Let me stress to save your game! It gives you plenty of tapes, you get at least one if not two at every new save point and occasionally find them elsewhere so there's no reason to be tight with them. Anytime you get to a new save room, save unless you've done little since the last save.

It's the same.
Fuck that shit!
Ha, that was indeed the startling instance.
the other times was a little surprise but more like oh hey! you're here but that one you are likely sprinting through the basement hoping there's not new molded and that room in particular had the most so just running smack into something in the room can be startling as you're half expecting molded haha

A fun topic might be what's the weirdest place you've seen her? Then again, maybe not because she has a static set of places but we might learn of ones we aren't familiar with this way. For instance, I challenged my friends to find her in a weirder place then one I saw which was in that little crawl space you use at the beginning of the main house to get into the laundry room for the first time. It was my first play session and I was about to head into Lucas' area and being the last area you could reach from the back yard, I decided to make sure I hadn't missed any coins before proceeding as I'd be trying to find them on my own. Turns out I was missing one coin but looking through a coin guide, I could swear I'd already picked up all of them. So I had to double check every one...eventually that led me to checking the one that's on the lawnmower in that tunnel. I drop down the hatch door and bee-line straight for the lawnmower, really focused and trying to speed run this. It's not there...but as I turn my camera BOOM old granny is in touching distance! How the hell did I miss her? How the hell did she get down here? Her head is touching the grey pipe above us lol At this point in the game I wonder how the hell she could get there. Upstairs? Jack could carry her, maybe there's a secret elevator I don't know about but this tiny ass tunnel? No way a wheel chair would get down there! Surprised me to say the least.

As for the coin, ended up being the one in the guest house, the only one that was completely miss able at that point :( Then I'm further trolled by going back there at the end. I was so excited thinking I'd get the chievo after all! Only for the drawer to refuse to open :( You can't even read the newspaper sitting on the kitchen table at that point in the game. The bummer was that I actually did the harder part, found the lockpick in the video and picked the drawer but in light of Mia attacks, I spaced going to the drawer with Ethan. Doh!

Pinky

Banned
Let me stress to save your game! It gives you plenty of tapes, you get at least one if not two at every new save point and occasionally find them elsewhere so there's no reason to be tight with them. Anytime you get to a new save room, save unless you've done little since the last save.

It's the same.

Ha, that was indeed the startling instance.
the other times was a little surprise but more like oh hey! you're here but that one you are likely sprinting through the basement hoping there's not new molded and that room in particular had the most so just running smack into something in the room can be startling as you're half expecting molded haha

A fun topic might be what's the weirdest place you've seen her? Then again, maybe not because she has a static set of places but we might learn of ones we aren't familiar with this way. For instance, I challenged my friends to find her in a weirder place then one I saw which was in that little crawl space you use at the beginning of the main house to get into the laundry room for the first time. It was my first play session and I was about to head into Lucas' area and being the last area you could reach from the back yard, I decided to make sure I hadn't missed any coins before proceeding as I'd be trying to find them on my own. Turns out I was missing one coin but looking through a coin guide, I could swear I'd already picked up all of them. So I had to double check every one...eventually that led me to checking the one that's on the lawnmower in that tunnel. I drop down the hatch door and bee-line straight for the lawnmower, really focused and trying to speed run this. It's not there...but as I turn my camera BOOM old granny is in touching distance! How the hell did I miss her? How the hell did she get down here? Her head is touching the grey pipe above us lol At this point in the game I wonder how the hell she could get there. Upstairs? Jack could carry her, maybe there's a secret elevator I don't know about but this tiny ass tunnel? No way a wheel chair would get down there! Surprised me to say the least.

As for the coin, ended up being the one in the guest house, the only one that was completely miss able at that point :( Then I'm further trolled by going back there at the end. I was so excited thinking I'd get the chievo after all! Only for the drawer to refuse to open :( You can't even read the newspaper sitting on the kitchen table at that point in the game. The bummer was that I actually did the harder part, found the lockpick in the video and picked the drawer but in light of Mia attacks, I spaced going to the drawer with Ethan. Doh!

Yep,
seeing her in the crawl space between the pantry and laundry room was my "WTF" moment. Like, how the hell did you get down here, lady???? Lol!

Fuck that shit!

Every time I do a playthrough I forget about that shit and it makes me jump every time. People have said she isn't scary - and of course in a way that's right, but it's a jump scare for sure.

Oh man, you should really
put that saw away
! It's going to make it so much easier, and I really think MH should be experienced fully (at least the first run) without it.

I mean, even with it there are certain encounters that are going to be a bitch, but still...

You're going to have to redo sections at times. Every now and then something will just fuck you up out of nowhere unless you're creeping around at full alert, and even then it can get really relentless.

The thing is - I've played it through like 4 times now so madhouse is all I need for plat. As much as I'd like to go through it and play it for real and then do antique coin run after - I must say I'm getting a little burnt out on it all now.

Still a great game but one I'd like to plat and uninstall until I forget about it and it all feels fresh :)

As it turns out, Go Tell Aunt Rhody is a classic folk song. I learned this when walking into my students violin class (2nd graders) and the teacher was showing them how to play it. I had a really weird moment of like "Whaaaaat...."

Oh man, that'd be a trip. I knew it was a classic but to walk in on it unexpectedly after playing this game would definitely be a weird moment haha

Zakalwe

Banned
I love the game's rendition of that song, it's so thick with atmosphere.

The thing is - I've played it through like 4 times now so madhouse is all I need for plat. As much as I'd like to go through it and play it for real and then do antique coin run after - I must say I'm getting a little burnt out on it all now.

Still a great game but one I'd like to plat and uninstall until I forget about it and it all feels fresh :)

Ah, then I get it. MH will be there for future runs if you feel like it.

There are some moments that are going to fuck you, saw or not. :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone clear some stuff up for me-

I see that there are now two DLCs, one 9.99 and one 14.99.

I've finished the base game playing through the entire thing in VR. I'd love to get more VR content. Which pack has more substantial VR content? How long are these "episodes"? From what i gather, one pack has 3 new "episodes", and the other has 4. In each of these DLC packs, one of the "episodes" cannot be used in VR.

If I'm only in it for VR, which should I get? Both?

V-Faction

Can you understand how I was expecting an "Aunt Rhody" character to show up somewhere in the game?

Pinky

Banned
And this is what I fear most haha

I'm about to start my first Madhouse run and, yes, I will be using the
Circular Saw
. I'm not ashamed in the least and I admire those that completed MH without it. All I want is the
unlimited ammo
. Nothing more. I feel like I'll get too frustrated if I play MH without it. I'm a bitch. :p

I'm about to start my first Madhouse run and, yes, I will be using the
Circular Saw
. I'm not ashamed in the least and I admire those that completed MH without it. All I want is the
unlimited ammo
. Nothing more. I feel like I'll get too frustrated if I play MH without it. I'm a bitch. :p

From what I've played so far;

Mia is very tough, at least she was for me
and then as soon as you get the
circular saw out of the box
it's easier. Molded and
garage Jack
go down nearly instantly with it.

Haven't encountered
fat ones
yet

Ha.
If the saw makes them easy meat then you're totally bitching out. :p

From what I hear the
circular saw
is useless against
fat ones
and near useless against
greenhouse marguerite

There will be moments when I come unstuck - like the
boat with defenceless Mia

Until then - bitch out I shall :) haha

Pinky

Banned
From what I've played so far;

Mia is very tough, at least she was for me
and then as soon as you get the
circular saw out of the box
it's easier. Molded and
garage Jack
go down nearly instantly with it.

Haven't encountered
fat ones
yet

Yeah, I've read similar things about Mia. I even read some impressions from some who completed MH saying she was the most difficult out of all the other bosses/enemies in MH. Not sure if that's true or not. Guess it depends solely on each player's personal experience and how they handle each encounter.

Jawmuncher

No more games centered around setting up canned animations over and over -- unless they provide crowd control and aren't op in a power/time sense compared to guns, like RE4. I like animations as a flourish and tactical conceit, not as an end-all. The latter creates perhaps the most repetitive superhero gaming experience I've played.

I want RE8 to basically expand on the Baker mansion in a meaningful, intelligent way. For example, the ship had a great navigational puzzle that would have been more exciting in a better, less repetitive setting. In other words, it didn't have to be delegated to some distant portion of the game. Its concept could have been organically implemented during your stay at the Baker mansion. Maybe a stalker would have helped.

And the Baker mansion, as it was, was kind of lite on depth. It was still exciting in the form it was in, so the potential is frustratingly apparent.

Pretty gross, considering the actual act of TPSing is poor in RE6. You can set up canned animations for days on top of a convoluted control scheme, but I don't see how you can't see how that wouldn't appeal to the mainstream.

The fact that the melee were the most useful aspects is why a lot of people liked RE6 gameplay though. Playing as Jake with hand to hand and counters is great. Not too many people who enjoy the game are going to agree with less melee and poor TPS mechanics.

Especially when RE4 and RE5 Mercenaries were big on melee usage as wel anyway. That's the big reason why Rev 1 and 2 aren't satisfying to those who like that style from 4-6. You might not like the repetive nature of setting up melee attacks, but that's the biggest appeal for a lot of people. It definitely is for me.

As the other posters have said. It's a fun gameplay system and if they can't/won't use it for RE in the future then give it to another series. If the gameplay system wasn't fun, people wouldn't defend the game at all. I know I wouldn't.

The only thing I could say is perhaps do make it like RE4-5. Just in the sense that you don't need to use melee attacks if you don't want to if you don't want to.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, I've read similar things about Mia. I even read some impressions from some who completed MH saying she was the most difficult out of all the other bosses/enemies in MH. Not sure if that's true or not. Guess it depends solely on each player's personal experience and how they handle each encounter.

Hell no haha. (Madhouse difficulty spoilers)
Mia didn't kill me once in Madhouse. Neither did Mutated Jack but he was obviously a lot harder. Marguerite and The Fat Fucks in the barn though...Oooff. That was some Dark Souls shit hahaha.

Top Bottom