• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

dlauv

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I've been getting back into RE4 again. Finished off my Pro cheevo for UHD (which was annoying because the 60fps double damage glitch is still in). Decided to boot up the Gamecube version in Dolphin and man, does it look great. It looks better than the other versions for some reason, I think, so I boot up the Wii version. Compared.

GC
TIriP6I.jpg

Wii
ynvo2An.jpg

UHD
7E5C9BC71658707FBE9727316495E88E60F71FEB

It's like the game is tinted differently and lacking contrast. Not a big deal, for sure, but it doesn't really "pop" as well. Also, the aiming sensitivity was messed with and the weapon damage was rebalanced. I think it makes the game a bit too easy. Aiming is a lot quicker on the Wii version using a Gamecube controller, even with the standard handgun, and there doesn't seem to be much of an acceleration arc. On the other hand, aiming to the left or right on the GC is a lot slower compared to aiming up or down.

Still, fun times.

I've been messing around in Elza's campaign in Resident Evil 1.5. It seems pretty dark. Like the part when there is a pile of dead police officers and they are like "omg what happened here?". Can't wait for team IGA or whatever to finish the game, but its been 4 freaking years.

BTails

I've been messing around in Elza's campaign in Resident Evil 1.5. It seems pretty dark. Like the part when there is a pile of dead police officers and they are like "omg what happened here?". Can't wait for team IGA or whatever to finish the game, but its been 4 freaking years.

I forgot that this was finally playable, I remember looking at magazines with "RE2" screens, and what we ended up eventually getting was so different.

Astral

I started replaying RE2 last night and wow you encounter a Licker like 5 minutes into the game with Claire. I felt like it took me like half an hour to reach that point the first time I played it.

I forgot that this was finally playable, I remember looking at magazines with "RE2" screens, and what we ended up eventually getting was so different.

What do you mean finally playable? The IGAs build that leaked is just as much playable as the actual version.

As in, broken mess.

edit: Actually thinking back I think they released it to stop someone selling it and making money from it, someone who got it from one of the team who evidently couldn't be trusted not to share it with people.

Its pretty good. Its a totally different game. Wish capcom had finished it and released it as Biohazard 2 alternate or something. I like it. Why do you guys think they started over? That was a pretty bold move.

Its pretty good. Its a totally different game. Wish capcom had finished it and released it as Biohazard 2 alternate or something. I like it. Why do you guys think they started over? That was a pretty bold move.

They didn't think it was good enough.

I agree with that as far as settings go, the RE2 RPD/museum is much better than the police station of 1.5, but 1.5 definitely has some great ideas not present in RE2.

Story is hard to compare because RE1.5 wasn't translated, wasn't finished and had no filler and backstory from files.

Should be at the RE7 VR tour tomorrow so long as no issues arise. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Just get there early to nail down a spot for the VR demo itself. I'd personally look out for Marguerite's dialogue and anything else not focused well on during the dev showcases.

Otherwise, doesn't seem much to it.

Just entered a disc replay and saw a Gamecube copy of CV for 39.99. Easily the most expensive title there on that platform. Was it a really limited print run or just difficult to find?

Jawmuncher

So did the Resident Evil tour. First off sorry to staticworld. The mercs store wouldn't take my credit card so I wasn't able to buy him his stuff. If someone else is going, he'd appreciate you helping him out.

Now besides that, the demo itself was fun. As was the VR, but the image quality is rather low. So seems you'll need a PS4 pro if you want it to look better (dunno if that's how it works). Or wait for the PC version.

Didn't gather anything new from the demo, it was very self contained and pretty linear. However the end of the demo is the dinner scene. Looked around as much as I could. Only things I noticed was that to the way looked like the front door, and to the right was the living room. Same room we saw with the grand father clock from pics awhile back.

So did the Resident Evil tour. First off sorry to staticworld. The mercs store wouldn't take my credit card so I wasn't able to buy him his stuff. If someone else is going, he'd appreciate you helping him out.

Now besides that, the demo itself was fun. As was the VR, but the image quality is rather low. So seems you'll need a PS4 pro if you want it to look better (dunno if that's how it works). Or wait for the PC version.

Didn't gather anything new from the demo, it was very self contained and pretty linear. However the end of the demo is the dinner scene. Looked around as much as I could. Only things I noticed was that to the way looked like the front door, and to the right was the living room. Same room we saw with the grand father clock from pics awhile back.

Hey no prob :D
Glad that you had fun. Yep if anybody is going down to the next few events with merch, please drop me a PM.

Does Rev 2 have all the flipping and sliding shit from RE6? Not sure I'd wanna play another action RE game without the actual good combat mechanics. On Ada now and enjoying it much more than I did 4 or 5.

I think if the game had removed all QTEs the response woulda been decent. That's the only time where I feel the game is complete shit. None of that shit needed to be there, it could have all been skippable cutscenes.

Neiteio

Does Rev 2 have all the flipping and sliding shit from RE6? Not sure I'd wanna play another action RE game without the actual good combat mechanics. On Ada now and enjoying it much more than I did 4 or 5.

I think if the game had removed all QTEs the response woulda been decent. That's the only time where I feel the game is complete shit. None of that shit needed to be there, it could have all been skippable cutscenes.
No flipping and sliding, sadly, but Rev 2 does have a nifty dodge you can do in any direction at any time (Circle plus a direction, IIRC). You can also extend the length and i-frames of the dodge with upgrades. You definitely have more evasion options than RE4 and RE5.

Jawmuncher

No flipping and sliding, sadly, but Rev 2 does have a nifty dodge you can do in any direction at any time (Circle plus a direction, IIRC). You can also extend the length and i-frames of the dodge with upgrades. You definitely have more evasion options than RE4 and RE5.

If definitely not as great as RE5 though, due to the melee lacking oomph most of the time like that game.

RSB

Banned

Nah, the gameplay is decent, but unfortunately it's not as good as RE6, or RE5, or even RE4. The game's still worth it though, even if only for the cool story and characters (Moira FTW)

Jawmuncher

Rev 2's main strength is its great narrative and characters, and its journey-like pacing. Definitely a worthy title.

Still the main point asked was the gameplay.
Even I was a bit dussapointed going from RE6 to rev gameplay wise. Even with the other highlights the game has.

BadWolf

Wonder if they will considered including the full on RE6 battle system for Rev3 now that the mainline series has abandoned the action style (and REmake might be going all in for the classic style)?

They have no reason to hold back unless they are saving it for a new IP or a Dino Crisis reboot.

Speaking of which, iirc Verendus did say at one point that Capcom was working on a new TPS IP.

If you think about it, in a way, that combat system was sort of wasted on RE in the sense that many fans would complain about the series becoming too action and the devs themselves were also limited in what they could do because at the end of the day it was still RE.

Imagine a new TPS IP with RE6 combat where they can go all out.

Nah, the gameplay is decent, but unfortunately it's not as good as RE6, or RE5, or even RE4. The game's still worth it though, even if only for the cool story and characters (Moira FTW)

Sounds like a pass. I'll just play 6 again on a harder setting while hoping someone I know will get it and play co-op. It's usually cheap enough during sales but it's tough convincing someone to get a 69 metacritic game these days.

Jawmuncher

Wonder if they will considered including the full on RE6 battle system for Rev3 now that the mainline series has abandoned the action style (and REmake might be going all in for the classic style)?

They have no reason to hold back unless they are saving it for a new IP or a Dino Crisis reboot.

Speaking of which, iirc Verendus did say at one point that Capcom was working on a new TPS IP.

If you think about it, in a way, that combat system was sort of wasted on RE in the sense that many fans would complain about the series becoming too action and the devs themselves were also limited in what they could do because at the end of the day it was still RE.

It makes sense to do something with that gameplay. No one ever complains that the gameplay of 4-6 was bad. But just that they don't agree with them being the main aspect of a RE mainline game. I personally hope Revelations style sub series carries the torch or a new IP as stated. Would be interesting to see Dino Crisis adopt it. Especially if they incorporate a sort of 1v1v1 element much like turok 2008.

Would be cool fighting human enemies and dinosaurs. While the dinosaurs attack anyone. Since the only problem with RE6 style gameplay in DC is how do you bring in all of the melee moves with a wide variety of dinosaurs. Especially those of a bigger size.

JayEH

it's for the best that RE6 mechanics go somewhere else imo. too much baggage with the RE name like you said. Though I would miss leon and jake being action heroes.

Jawmuncher

it's for the best that RE6 mechanics go somewhere else imo. too much baggage with the RE name like you said. Though I would miss leon and jake being action heroes.

That's kinda where the issue lies. At the same hand, if those characters are playable. You can't necessarily regress them. Outside of saying the characters got old and can't melee because their backs hurt. Or Jake lost his moves because the virus in him started eating away at him or something.

The new FPS style I feel only works with new characters. Unless they do certain sections with a massive shift. Like you play as Chris in one section where you're just decked out with ammo and guns and go blasting zombies and such.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Since stuff like vendetta shows they want to keep the hero status for legacy characters.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil's brand name is too recognizable at this point for Capcom to back out, and many associate Resident Evil now both with horror games and horror-themed action games. I think it's too late to split it, and the simple truth is selling a new IP can be hard and probably wouldn't give the same net return. But between the current top-selling RE entries being action titles (given also a horror title for the series hasn't been given a serious shake with marketing and push since the early 2000s UNTIL RE7 came along, and we'll see how that does), the films are dumb action movies also... There's more, but there's plenty to associate Resident Evil with horror-themed action games as well as more survival-horror titles.

I think at this point we're waaaay too late to try the whole, "Spin it into its own franchise and separate it," thing. If anything the mechanics might pop up elsewhere, but not as a separation fully. Keep in mind that Resident Evil has spun-out multiple franchises for Capcom over the years, from Dino Crisis to Devil May Cry to Onimusha to Haunting Ground, but none of those were really replacements for the things in them being taken out of RE, just they had something about them I guess Capcom thought was so far off it deserved its own franchise/game. But never has what these spun-off franchises done really directly influenced what RE is or does.

Has anyone here been able to get a custom shader going on the sourcenext version of biohazard 2? I just want to add crt filters and other things but it doesnt recognize any attempts ive made with sweetfx or reshade.

A Dino Crisis revival or something with robots would be pretty cool using RE6's combat mechanics.

I want a Dino Crisis where they cross the RE and DC universe. Regina asks Jill along for a quiet and relaxing mission on a remote pacific island, to catch a break from zombies. Then they realize the whole fucking island is inhabited by dinosaurs and Umbrella has been delving into dinosaur and DNA research too.

Open beaches, dense jungles, mountainous areas and abandoned, overgrown research buildings.

Capcom: GIVE ME IT!

Brhoom

Banned
Anyone knows if I can contact Capcom?

I want that stupid blood on screen effect to be gone.

What happened to charecter limping when they were injured?

How about taking Silent Hill's controller vibration when they were injured.

Anything but blood on screen.

Jawmuncher

Anyone knows if I can contact Capcom?

I want that stupid blood on screen effect to be gone.

What happened to charecter limping when they were injured?

How about taking Silent Hill's controller vibration when they were injured.

Anything but blood on screen.

Pretty sure Capcom reads the threads on GAF and the Reddit.
That's about all you can hope for

-----

Game Grumps are playing Resident Evil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbm7smB-MG4

First hour with REmake and I can already tell that this is going to be a Top 5 game of all time. The atmosphere, the unique camera angles, the minimalist soundtrack, the sound mixing, the tension that each and every zombie gives you, the tank controls which actually enhance the experience, the inventory management which is seeing me making a mental note of where things are in the mansion so I can pick them up later, the puzzles which are making backtracking actually fun, the lack of a waypoint which makes it so you have to find your own way around, I can go on. Absolutely fucking amazing.

It's actually really amazing to think that Shinji Mikami established the formula so well with RE 1 which established how survival horror would work for the next ten years, perfected it with REmake, and then defined how action games would work for the next ten years with RE 4.

Top Bottom