• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

strafer

I was playing some RE6 and i swear one of the generic female voices sounds exactly like claire from Revelations 2. One of them says; i got to get out of here.

During the leon mission in the church.

Sayad

Is Code Veronica really much worse the other "traditional" RE games?! Played it once(around launch on PS2) and the only thing I remember is fighting a Tyrant inside a cargo(?) plane!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Is Code Veronica really much worse the other "traditional" RE games?! Played it once(around launch on PS2) and the only thing I remember is fighting a Tyrant inside a cargo(?) plane!

It has the absolute WORST character of the franchise so...

Zambatoh

I'm haven't been a big fan of CV since the pre-RE4 days.

I did however enjoy the idea of a rat documenting your journey throughout the whole game. That always gets a kick out of me.

Mr_Zombie

It's the game where things started to get... weird (weird villains, controlled mutations, Super Wesker coming back from grave, John Woo Claire etc.).

The game design is also pretty questionable, with a lot (a lot) of backtracking, few dead end situations or situations where you could easily fuck yourself up if you don't know what's coming up (Tyrant on the plane, not putting fire extinguisher in the item chest, not leaving enough weapons for the other character when the game decides that it's time to switch characters, not bringing a healing item for one of later boss battles etc.).

It's also the game that visually aged the most. RE1-3 still have that old-school low-poly charm with good, detailed rendered backgrounds. REmake nad Zero look great thanks to high-poly characters, good lighting and beautiful animated backgrounds. Code Veronica, on the other hand, is an early Dreamcast title, a fully 3D game with so-so character models (faces look OK, characters' bodies - not so much), empty and flat environments with a lot of low-res textures, and is pretty colorful (lots of bright pastel colors). The HD remaster significally changed the lighting in the game, highly improving it, but in the process making things a lot darker and turning the saturation way up there.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On mobile, so will keep my thoughts simple.

I think Code Veronica has a few great elements (its soundtrack is amazing, I think the setting is one of the best in the series on paper, I actually love the Ashfords and Wesker in the game even if a bit wacky), but it's let down by various elements... Terrible pacing in parts, some of the worst & least fun backtracking in the series (and I swear there's more of it than any other RE title), the 3D graphics have not aged well and the games 'artistic' feel many rooms try to portray don't convey as well as they should, stupid difficulty spikes, some of the most frustrsting & dumbest enemies in the series (looking at you Bandersnatch & weird pool boss), and maybe some of the least fun puzzles in the series.

I think if any RE game needs a remake, it's Code Veronica. Such an interesting concept full of possibilities squandered by poor execution. It's still an okay game and there's parts of it I like quite a bit, but I honestly do feel it's the weakest mainline RE game due to all of its problems. A shame since done differently I think it could of been something special. Again, I think it needs a remake.

strafer

the leaderboards on RE6 PS3 is broken as fuck...all the scores are cheated.

99999999999999 everywhere. :(

how is that even possible on console

Brhoom

Banned
Did anyone else need to reach the 1700 value in the HDR settings just to get that grey box to disappear?

I have a cheap Phillips 4K TV that I didn't even know had HDR, at 1200 the gey box disappeared for me.

Can't tell a diffrence between HDR or no HDR

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I have a cheap Phillips 4K TV that I didn't even know had HDR, at 1200 the gey box disappeared for me.

Can't tell a diffrence between HDR or no HDR

Got a 43H7C Hisense. Guessing the 1700 value isn't good at all. But I do notice when suspend/resume the game, it seems to give the Pro main menu what I can only describe as a somewhat transparent like effect to it

Manu

It's the game where things started to get... weird (weird villains, controlled mutations, Super Wesker coming back from grave, John Woo Claire etc.).

The game design is also pretty questionable, with a lot (a lot) of backtracking, few dead end situations or situations where you could easily fuck yourself up if you don't know what's coming up (Tyrant on the plane, not putting fire extinguisher in the item chest, not leaving enough weapons for the other character when the game decides that it's time to switch characters, not bringing a healing item for one of later boss battles etc.).

It's also the game that visually aged the most. RE1-3 still have that old-school low-poly charm with good, detailed rendered backgrounds. REmake nad Zero look great thanks to high-poly characters, good lighting and beautiful animated backgrounds. Code Veronica, on the other hand, is an early Dreamcast title, a fully 3D game with so-so character models (faces look OK, characters' bodies - not so much), empty and flat environments with a lot of low-res textures, and is pretty colorful (lots of bright pastel colors). The HD remaster significally changed the lighting in the game, highly improving it, but in the process making things a lot darker and turning the saturation way up there.

Agree with all of this, and add one small thing:

Bandersnatch is probably the worst enemy in the classic era.

Get ready to be punched by an arm that comes from outside the screen over and over with no way to know it's coming! Such bullshit.

I'm not really a fan of CXV. Along with Zero, they're the only mainline games I haven't finished once.

Jawmuncher

Was bored and decided to just line up GIFs of Resident Evil 1 through 7. Ended up focusing on the gunplay to compare them all. Only included the mainline games, since including spinoffs even if canon would be a bit odd (Stuff like Umbrella Corps or Umbrella Chronicles for example). I also purposefully kept out melee from 4 and up, since I felt it would be better to compare more of a bottom line theme, than to start getting too critical and nitpicky.

I feel like the series overall, even with the big changes in gameplay has kept a theme throughout. Looking at all the images, everything fits. The only game that really sticks out to me is RE7. Which is only because of it's first person view more than anything. Fixed camera to third person is a big change true. But in both styles you still see your character, so it's an easier fit. If RE7 was third person, I think it would fit pretty closely, especially with Revelations 2. Since these two games are probably the "dirtiest" looking of any RE game.

Obviously this light comparison doesn't get to the nitty gritty of mechanics. But I thought it was interesting none the less. Some of these RE titles might not be your preferred take on RE. But I think it all comes together well. Still glad that capcom didn't listen too much to feedback, and decided to make 7 a Hard Reboot. 7 still taking place in the unvierse of all the games prior is really nice. Really cements how big this games universe is, and all the sorts of stories and styles it can support.

instayls3h.gif

2718165-tumblr_mha9xkd5s3s.gif

tumblr_mr4bx3cxea1rlurqsc8.gif

instad6s6n.gif

cuteck4czkrtwqm1b0mhhzsd5.gif

re1gif3asp4.gif

2765802-2519648580-tu4ns19.gif

insta9qs75.gif

instarpsbt.gif

insta32skz.gif

instawksg2.gif

instadnsxs.gif

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Nice set of GIFs, Jaw. I feel good just looking at 'em

Lot at that dude snakebiting Claire from offscreen

B-Dex

Can anyone tell me what hair care products Leon and Helena use in RE6? Because that is some shiny, beatiful hair. Just grabbed it on sale from PSN. 😂

Dusk Golem

RE0 on sale on the ps4. Never played it, I'm guessing this is a no brainer?
It's worth playing in my opinion, but know it's not the best RE game though. Some great and dull moments sprinkled throughout. Very pretty, though. The HD Remaster may be the prettiest classic-styled horror game around.

Mr_Zombie

RE0 on sale on the ps4. Never played it, I'm guessing this is a no brainer?

If you're craving for a traditional survival horror - then yes. The game is flawed and has so-so story (IMHO it has the worst villain out of all RE games), but it's still a classic RE and the game (and especially the HD Remaster) is beautiful.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
RE0 is the best-looking "Classic" game (they had all the assets unlike REmake), so there's that.

If you like the classic games, why not? Be smart about where you drop your shit, or you will have a bad time.

Jawmuncher

Ethan's Face got revealed. It's nothing special, and just adds more questions as to why they've been trying to keep it secret.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentev...lers_re7_ethans_face/?st=IX9DE3C8&sh=20c4fdd6

I fully expect the only reason is because they don't have many future plans for this character. When there aren't even going to be mirrors or any moment in the game where we see his face, they must not care very much about the character. I don't see ethan carrying on and being well known like the rest of the cast has become.

RE0 is the best-looking "Classic" game (they had all the assets unlike REmake), so there's that.

If you like the classic games, why not? Be smart about where you drop your shit, or you will have a bad time.

RE0 backgrounds are absolutely beautiful, and they uprezzed very VERY well in the remaster.

Weakest game in the series, but I agree if you like classic RE anyways you'll still have a good time.

Harder difficulties you have to clamp down on supplies, they're probably the scarcest in the series. Doesn't help that zombies are more numerous, faster, and in narrower environments so you're basically forced to take them out, so lots of handgun ammo spent on them. That's honestly one thing I don't like about RE0's encounters, you're usually just waiting by the door you came in while all the zombies in the room beeline to you as you mow them down. Rinse, repeat. Not like REmake where you're creeping slowly forward in a dark hallway, hearing the zombies but not knowing when you're gonna see them:

latest

This simple hallway early on in REmake is probably the oppressive environment in the entire series, even before the Crimson Head wakes up. The ambiance wasn't helping make things feel better lol

I'm still hella mad they botched certain tracks in REmake HD :[

Ethan's Face got revealed. It's nothing special, and just adds more questions as to why they've been trying to keep it secret.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentev...lers_re7_ethans_face/?st=IX9DE3C8&sh=20c4fdd6

I fully expect the only reason is because they don't have many future plans for this character. When there aren't even going to be mirrors or any moment in the game where we see his face, they must not care very much about the character. I don't see ethan carrying on and being well known like the rest of the cast has become.

I know they're going for the "some guy" look, but that's just boring.

Jawmuncher

I know they're going for the "some guy" look, but that's just boring.

It's one of my biggest issues with the game so far. The more realistic look is just odd for the series. Thus far, none of the characters look like they really fit aesthetically wise.

Like regardless of him being a regular joe. I can't see Ethan design wise sitting well alongside the current RE cast. I'm assuming that if we do see any returning characters, their designs will have changed as well. Due to age and trying to fit this new style. So it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

It's one of my biggest issues with the game so far. The more realistic look is just odd for the series. Thus far, none of the characters look like they really fit aesthetically wise.

Like regardless of him being a regular joe. I can't see Ethan design wise sitting well alongside the current RE cast. I'm assuming that if we do see any returning characters, their designs will have changed as well. Due to age and trying to fit this new style. So it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Personally, I can see the Baker's somewhat, at least, the Pop and, I guess, the son? I guess is who the young Baker guy is? Anyway, I can see him fitting as he reminds somewhat reminds me of Irving from 5 in a weird way.

Ethan and Mia? Not so much, mainly because they don't stand out.

The design of the returning cast, in my opinion, should be strong enough that, even with the new style, we should recognize them. I imagine they'll just look a bit more "grimey" so to speak.

Dusk Golem, thank you for sharing those maps last week i've been having lots of fun with them. It's crazy how accurate they are to the RE games too so it made L4D2 worth playing again for sure.

Wanderer5

Just ordered RE7 on GMG. Can't wait! Need to get RE4 done in the meantime, but shouldn't be long now.

I probably get around seeing Damnation too, especially for some more Leon and Ada action, now that I am falling in love with RE4 finally.:p

Man, I remember the days of downloading random-ass maps for L4D and other Source games...

I remember playing and L4D campaign based on Silent Hill 1 lol, it was really accurate too

Man, I remember the days of downloading random-ass maps for L4D and other Source games...

I remember playing and L4D campaign based on Silent Hill 1 lol, it was really accurate too

It's really impressive what fans can do. The RE maps are pretty good recreations and the puzzles are on point too, I ended up dying due to the ceiling trap lol.

RSB

Banned

Yeah, the look they're going for in RE7 is incredibly boring, and looks completely out of place compared to the rest of the series. For the next games they better go back to the classic (half western, half japanese, super stylized) look of the series.

Dusk Golem

Of course, the L4D2 Campaign maps are cool. There's a pretty good Outbreak File 1 recreation as well, and a good (but only loosely inspired) campaign based off of the first live-action film.

---

I'm re-reading the beginning of the Heavenly Island manga to remind myself of things as I read the new stuff I didn't before. I actually think it's a shame we won't get an action RE with the setting/background of the manga. It has a lot of potential. Just finished the first main volume and I love the big stalker enemy of the manga, the B.O.W. treated as a sacrifice is interesting, and forgot how early the manga settles into connecting into the series as Claire learns that Ozwell Spencer bought the island in the first volume. Interesting we see a younger-looking Spencer from 45 years before his death and he's still in a wheelchair. The manga is a bit more violent and sexualized in parts not typical to the RE series, but imagining this setting and locations with these type of enemies in an action RE game would of been something.

I'll post overall thoughts as I get through more volumes, thiugh the manga isn't done releasing yet.

Mr_Zombie

Capcom can do ordinary civilians who still look aesthetically good, like the cast from Outbreak. I also think that it's a bit unfair to judge Ethan based on an emotionless, out of context 3D model of his head (not even his entire body).

Right now I'm still waiting with the judgement. I remember my reaction to Moira's and Natalia's designs when they were revealed and how it changed after I could interact with those characters, see their journey and how those designs fit their characters. I'm hoping the same case will be with RE7 cast. On the other hand, Andre and Peter from RE7 demo still look generic as hell, like those NPCs you're trying to "save" in Leon's chapter 1 and 2 in RE6 :/

Dusk Golem

I'll now post spoilers since past Volume 1 and onto volume 2 of the manga. So Heavenly Island volume 2 spoilers.

I just find the two early B.O.W.'s in the manga so cool looking and interesting. One is the giant anchor stalker (nicknamed Morio by a character in the manga), he wears a mask that reveals his grinning mouth beneath it, wears a complex robe and is seen to have intelligence, as he destroys the White Castle's engine to prevent them from leaving, he can go through water fine when he goes onto the ship and the swamp water, and when the cameraman MC guy tries his plan to hurtle him off a cliff I love the wonderfully RE moment where he's not finished yet and throws the anchor to the cliffside to pull himself up.

In general, I find the tackling of voodoo in the RE series fascinating. They mention the image of zombies come from voodoo and the possible connections it might have in a universe where zombies end up being real.

The mysterious B.O.W. who is tied up through all of the first volume is also interesting, very different design and the way it's a monster posed religiously, dormant and restrained but to be freed when powerful enough, and the whole shrine built around it I just think is interesting. The whole fact it's a B.O.W. directly controlled with an electronically inputted keyword is also interesting, first case of a fully controlled weaponized B.O.W. since TALOS from Umbrella Chronicles. I do find it fun how its hands has these blade drills attached to make it a weaponized destructive tank, and how it blocks bullets with the swirling blades as shields and an incoming threat. I just imagine this thing would be fun to fight with the RE6 combat system.

That one guy poising as a producer to try to broadcast the idols being slaughtered by BOWs to sell this type of monster on the market and then destroy the terrorists groups who'd buy to use the weapon by controlling it remotely was interesting. We've had a lot of revenge villains in the series spin-offs, I think his plan was the most interesting but dies so soon. Oh well, in fairness the villains that come up later in the manga starting with the witch doctor are more interesting.

I find the attempt to humanize the zombies and having some results trying to train zombies to live in a village and pull from their humanity and test how they work in such a set-up, but sight of meat and they all go mad. Find it interesting Morio mans it as well and answers why he picked up and hauled zombies earlier. We also learn apparently Resident Evil zombies can swim.

I like how the second volume ends with Claire and Chris talking. We don't see enough of their sibbling banter in the series. Chris is apparently dealing with some shit so he says he can't come (wonder if we'll ever learn what Chris was up to in the desert that's kept him so busy) and mentions this would be under the BSAA South America judistriction anyway, but Chris thinks he knows the perfect operative to send out to help his sister...

I know its a manga and doesn't follow a game storyline path, but I'd love to see a game adaption of the manga. Got a lot of interesting monsters, settings (both the overall island and the smaller locations on it), and characters for a pretty good RE story. Alas, alas. To volume 3.

Dusk Golem

Volume 3 of Heavenly Island spoilers:

I don't recall reading this in the past but must of as I recall stuff past this point. Maybe I somehow skipped it? We see a bit more of Chris' desert mission, but no specifics except securing points in an American desert.

I feel bad for stalker Morio. He's a BOW shown to have feelings as he cried for the zombie village burst into flames he spent so long working and living with to try to help make them a happy zombie community. Is a shame.

I do like the new characters in the manga pretty okay. A few ehh things but many are likable enough. Many die so fast too in the first two volumes. One of the best characters is Brown, I like his backstory of being an ex-BSAA officer from Africa and one of the few survivors of RE5's events, many died there and he quit after that. The page showing Sheva and the Executioners drawn was also a nice touch. Shame he dies, though cool we get to see someone half zombie transitioning who tries to fight it.

My main problem with the characters is how half the female cast wear bikinis in the whole thing due to a model excuse. You'd think they would of thrown something on when they were arming up against zombies or something though. But I do enjoy seeing outside characters drawn into this and asking what kind of messed up world they live in where someone who was your friend this morning you chatted and enjoyed the company of just larer that evening now is a monster trying to consume you. How people deal in a world of actual monsters with more nightmare stories cropping up around the world is interesting, and trying to live a normal life but ask what is wrong with this world.

I also enjoy how in typical horror/RE fashion, right after determining they don't have the power to fight right now and shoukd just try to survive the night, things go bad to worse as a Morio In need of vengeance for his burnt zombie village comes to play.

South American RE stories with this and Darkside Chronicles has a thing for important female characters. We learn the BOW with the drills was her to-be husband arranged by her parents, and he haults to kill her when he recognizes her.

While Revelations 1 wasn't my favorite RE game, I admit it's nice to see Parker return, and interesting to see him and Claire team up. I guess we also now know Parker works in the South American branch of the BSAA after joining them from the FBC.

Since you play as the BSAA so often, it's interesting to see them from an outside perspective and how they work. Parker leading a squad to fight a monster and yells a command tonthe squad, "Shotguns first!", which is both hilarious to me but also pretty cool as we have this whole squad of BSAA members trying RE-esque tactics against a monster.

I also admit its cool to have the second BOW arrive while they're still fighting the first one to make things a lot harder. Imagine that, fighting a boss in a RE game when a second more powerful one comes in during the middle of the fight. The RE series needs to experiment a bit more with fighting more than one big monstrosity at a time.

There's a scene where they rush to go to 'it'. They won't name it, but when the new characters ask Claire where they're running too, she just says, "A safe location." I know not what they meant, but the idea of in-story the characters running to a save room they must not name and it having narrative powers to keep them safe as such amused me.

Morio being the girls older brother once we figure out the other one was her fiance is not surprising really. What is surprising is the BOW battle. Go monsters, fight to the death! Parker gets to barely live because of that.

We knew this one girl was a double agent for a while, but we find out for who finally as Claire's 'safe place' is the entrance to a hidden underground Umbrella facility Spencer had made on the island. Finding the lab, she contacts... a character from Umbrella Corps? They are agents of Sheng-Ya, the main group from Umbrella Corps and a Chinese agency. And the third volume ends with this cliffhanger.

I find it weird how this series connects so many things and it's only about to get more important yet there's currently no localizaion plans for the thing yet. Will buy when they do so, but it is canon and kind of important with the recent issues...

Dusk Golem

Volume 4 of the Heavenly Island manga spoilers... on mobile I'll mention so I'll make weird typos, terrible at mobile typing.

I love the look of this underground lab, it has stalagmites and a cave+lab look going on. Also cool to see a Hunter come to play as the defense system kicks in, as someone is watching them.

They find pictures of Alex Wesker and Claire looks upset to see her again, calls her the Overlooker and then guesses she may call her by her real name. We also see Alex with some other strange Umbrella employee who's new, som man.

Hunter battle has some nice touches. My favorite is how it lifts its hand in the sir before it dies like how Hunters do in the games.

I haven't mentioned her yet, but there's a TerraSave officer in the manga named Inez I'm growing fond of. She dies here, but a shame. I was secretly hoping she'd survive and be the next Piers, a character who first shows up in the manga to later appear in he games.

We kearn the witch doctor from earlier is behind it all and finds it a shame they got involved on this island and reveals 'the truth'.

We learn this was an Umbrella facility attempting to create the most powerful BOW, using a method known as the "Kodoku Plan." It's a Chinese curse where they put a lot of predators in a jar together to eat each other, the last one standing is the winner and made to fight again until one animal is the last standing. This philosphy was used in their experiments to raise and nurture the most powerful BOW they could muster.

We learn this was an experiment started by Alex Wesker, and more so we learn this was the island Spencer sent Alex to while seeking immortality in the Lost in Nightmares files (the one she ran from). The man in the shaman outfit is Dirk Miller, someone who worked with Alex. This process was also used on the staff and Dirk was the last one remaining. He poised as a shaman to gain locals trust and needed resources from them.

The most power BOW they made was originally the Morio stalker, he retained some of his intelligence and past self and they nurtured him and experimented so they could make him the most powerful and cultivate the virus from within him. But had past memories and unreliable, which is where the drill BOW came from his ashes and took his place, named the Schruabe Demon. Cool fight with them all against it.

Meanwhile spy girl sneaks away to confront Dirk and contacts a ship owned by Sheng-Ya off the coast, a group of Umbrella Corps soldiers get ready to sttack the island and steal Umbrella's legacy.

Dirk is used to confirm the most powerful BOW wins, which is Morio. The spy beats Claire up and then sets in motion to have the virus from the Morio extracted.

And that's where volume 4 ends, now time to wait for volume 5. But knowing something from volume 5, it's interesting how this may
tie into RE7
... And if so, how such an important plot point is kept to the manga.

Jawmuncher

Capcom can do ordinary civilians who still look aesthetically good, like the cast from Outbreak. I also think that it's a bit unfair to judge Ethan based on an emotionless, out of context 3D model of his head (not even his entire body).

Right now I'm still waiting with the judgement. I remember my reaction to Moira's and Natalia's designs when they were revealed and how it changed after I could interact with those characters, see their journey and how those designs fit their characters. I'm hoping the same case will be with RE7 cast. On the other hand, Andre and Peter from RE7 demo still look generic as hell, like those NPCs you're trying to "save" in Leon's chapter 1 and 2 in RE6 :/

Yeah, I'm not fully judging based on just this. But as you said we've already had a taste on some characters, and RE6 itself had some pretty generic looking characters too.

I never complained about Rev 2 besides Barry's face changing

Manu

I'd rather have Ethan than another Raymond, any day.

raymond.jpg

I mean, that's not even a natural tone of red hair. This fucker has the stupidest haircut ever AND has been dying it too.

Top Bottom