• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

I'd rather have Ethan than another Raymond, any day.

raymond.jpg

I mean, that's not even a natural tone of red hair. This fucker has the stupidest haircut ever AND has been dying it too.

He does stick out though. Not in a good way, but yeah lol.

Jawmuncher

Does anyone here think Clancy (camera man from the demo) is still alive? A lot of people seem to think so, despite Beginning Hour and Kitchen heavily implying he gets killed while strapped to the chair.

It's very doubtful. The possibility of the Sewer Gator crew having an appearance is likely, but it'll be after their death through another VHS or some document/environmental reference.

How come Clancy's shadow doesn't have him holding a camera? Also, I find Andre's body really weird and lanky; his arms are super thin but long like his neck and it makes him look odd.

How come Clancy's shadow doesn't have him holding a camera? Also, I find Andre's body really weird and lanky; his arms are super thin but long like his neck and it makes him look odd.

My brother joked about a Go-Pro when I brought up Clancy climbing down the ladder with no evidence of a camera, which then lead to a discussion about how ridiculous it is for a series that has featured some rather futuristic devices to suddenly do VHS tapes in a manner that makes little to no sense in-universe.

However, just like RE5 and RE6, gameplay features take precedence over narrative.

My brother joked about a Go-Pro when I brought up Clancy climbing down the ladder with no evidence of a camera, which then lead to a discussion about how ridiculous it is for a series that has featured some rather futuristic devices to suddenly do VHS tapes in a manner that makes little to no sense in-universe.

However, just like RE5 and RE6, gameplay features take precedence over narrative.

Wow, I um. Never even thought about this. I did think he had a small camera strapped on his head like a GoPro, but that doens't explain the VHS lol

Edit FFS One time I'm going to accidentally click that spoiler thread when it gets bumped aren't I

If I do I'm totally blaming you Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Wow, I um. Never even thought about this. I did think he had a small camera strapped on his head like a GoPro, but that doens't explain the VHS lol

Edit FFS One time I'm going to accidentally click that spoiler thread when it gets bumped aren't I

If I do I'm totally blaming you Jawmuncher

I'll accept my beat down if you do
Though thankfully, I have the spoilers spaced out, and honestly. There isn't anything TOO big there.

I'll accept my beat down if you do
Though thankfully, I have the spoilers spaced out, and honestly. There isn't anything TOO big there.

Well at least that is a relief, I was expecting bigger stuff for some reason. I mean it's been going on a long time so that must mean there's things in there still worth discussing.

But still if it happens I have Dino Crisis on a shelf next to me and I won't hesitate to make it the star of my youtube snuff film.

Well, I'll hesitate a little.

Jawmuncher

Well at least that is a relief, I was expecting bigger stuff for some reason. I mean it's been going on a long time so that must mean there's things in there still worth discussing.

But still if it happens I have Dino Crisis on a shelf next to me and I won't hesitate to make it the star of my youtube snuff film.

Well, I'll hesitate a little.

That would be worse than actually killing me.

Zambatoh

I'd rather have Ethan than another Raymond, any day.

raymond.jpg

I mean, that's not even a natural tone of red hair. This fucker has the stupidest haircut ever AND has been dying it too.

Who is this..."Raymond" you speak of? I just see Conan O'Brian.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
heavenly island is... interesting. I like it for what it potentially brings to the lore. Nice to see Umbrella Corps being relevant. It might also tie-in with 7 and Vendetta? So, nice forward thinking? I remember when people thought it was a prequel to Revelations 2.

So, I've been thinking about getting Revelations 2 a bunch of times but whenever I look up gameplay videos the combat looks...I dunno, very basic. I can't tell if there's even locational hit zones on the regular enemies and how is melee? Does it at least compare to RE4's basic melee?

You guys have any videos that might sell me on the combat?

Manu

So, I've been thinking about getting Revelations 2 a bunch of times but whenever I look up gameplay videos the combat looks...I dunno, very basic. I can't tell if there's even locational hit zones on the regular enemies and how is melee? Does it at least compare to RE4's basic melee?

The combat is dialed back from RE6 and feels more like 4-5, except you have directional movement instead of tank controls. The nice part about it is that you will rely on switching between your characters to expose or attack an enemy's weak point, so each encounter feels like a small puzzle.

You also have a dedicated dodge button which is really useful once you get the hang of it.

RSB

Banned

I replayed Revelations 2 two weeks ago and I still think the same about the gameplay. Mediocre at best.

The gunplay is weak, and the melee is bad. It doesn't feel anywhere near as good as any of the main action titles (RE4-6) that's for sure. The only sorta interesting addition is the dodge mechanic, but everything else is so mundane (enemy behavior, enemy variety, encounter design) that it doesn't really matter in the end.

The characters (Moira FTW) and the story are pretty enjoyable IMO, but if what you want is good gameplay I would not recommend it.

Spinky

Wow, fuck Raymond. I completely forgot about that guy. What a horrid design, and character from what I remember.

Revelations 2's gameplay does feel a bit watered down, I still found it really enjoyable once I got into it, though. And Moira is glorious, or at least she becomes glorious if you keep playing.

Also, saw Jawmuncher post this on the Twittuhs: supposed boss theme/music from RE7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQux9N0wYc

Sounds pretty good, soundtrack should be solid judging from this and the save room music. Am I the only one who thinks it sounds kind of action-y, though? Not that I care about that, but...

The combat is dialed back from RE6 and feels more like 4-5, except you have directional movement instead of tank controls. The nice part about it is that you will rely on switching between your characters to expose or attack an enemy's weak point, so each encounter feels like a small puzzle.

You also have a dedicated dodge button which is really useful once you get the hang of it.

The thing that always gets me when I skim through gameplay videos...RE4 and 5 still had a shitload of enemies for you to fight. From what I've seen, Rev2 seems to have dialed back the enemy encounters to classic RE levels which is not what I'm looking for in a game that is essentially a TPS. But maybe my impression here is wrong?

Oh, and how is Raid mode, compared to RE5 and 6's Mercenaries?

I did play the first Rev btw, but that was when it first came out on 3DS. And while I did kinda enjoy it, it wasn't something I could see myself replaying.

Jawmuncher

The thing that always gets me when I skim through gameplay videos...RE4 and 5 still had a shitload of enemies for you to fight. From what I've seen, Rev2 seems to have dialed back the enemy encounters to classic RE levels which is not what I'm looking for in a game that is essentially a TPS. But maybe my impression here is wrong?

I did play the first Rev btw, but that was when it first came out on 3DS. And while I did kinda enjoy it, it wasn't something I could see myself replaying.

The encounters are definitely reduced. Since realistically, in the game you don't have the resources to fight as many the majority of the time. There's not really crowd control in this like there is in 5 and 6.

Raid is better than Revelations 1 raid besides the lack of Ghost Ship. But the reduced gameplay still hampers it a bit. You're still more or less just going through the grind of killing higher level enemies, to get higher level weapons, and just continuing that till the end.

Ah man, I feel bad now.

Maybe I can stand in Dino Crisis 3 with 3 crossed out

We could all do with a little less DC3 in the world.

That doesn't sound too encouraging, but eh, whatever, I've played the first game, I've played all the mainline games, I'll just buy it now and see for myself. Doesn't cost the world at least.

strafer

That doesn't sound too encouraging, but eh, whatever, I've played the first game, I've played all the mainline games, I'll just buy it now and see for myself. Doesn't cost the world at least.

You can download the first episode for free on PSN. Check it out.

Don't dismiss it because people say so.

Jawmuncher

You can download the first episode for free on PSN. Check it out.

Don't dismiss it because people say so.

I say everyone should play it, if you've played all the others. But expectations should be in check. Due to how highly praised it can be sometimes.

I found Revelations 2 to be quite fun. While it doesnt have the range of controls like 6 or the tightness of 4, the encounter and level design fits the controls (can't say the same for 6 campaign). Encounters and progression can be tackled in a variety of ways, which helps replays. There's some sore areas in both pacing and design, particularly with Barry.

Not a huge fan of the narrative with Claire and the Overseer, but enjoyed Moira and Barry's. Thought it had good bosses too.

Jawmuncher

Just beat RE6 again. Still kinda mad about that sequel tease at the end of 6 and where we're at with RE7. I'm fine with RE7 and what it's doing.

But I'd like to know what they were trying to tease there. I wanna know what Jake is up to. I'm tired of waiting so log to figure out what is going on with characters. Revelations 3 needs to be Jake and Jill, and maybe some others who just manage to get over there.

Hoping the files in RE7 also indicate on a past event before RE7 that might end up being a game.

Just beat RE6 again. Still kinda mad about that sequel tease at the end of 6 and where we're at with RE7. I'm fine with RE7 and what it's doing.

But I'd like to know what they were trying to tease there. I wanna know what Jake is up to. I'm tired of waiting so log to figure out what is going on with characters. Revelations 3 needs to be Jake and Jill, and maybe some others who just manage to get over there.

Hoping the files in RE7 also indicate on a past event before RE7 that might end up being a game.

What tease are you talking about? All I remember is Jake riding off on his motorcycle.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I didn't really think of it as a story tease, though. I just thought it showed that Jake was going full on good guy.

Jawmuncher

Oh yeah, I remember that. I didn't really think of it as a story tease, though. I just thought it showed that Jake was going full on good guy.

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it too.

I mean he's in the middle-east or at least around that area. Which is an area we haven't been to yet in RE. Despite all our globe trotting. Also it implies he's still out hiding for whatever reason, since his relation to wesker is top secret and hasn't been made known.

Dunno. The after credits sequence of Jake and Sherry already told enough that he was a good guy and left. Then to have another sequence with him just to cement that seems odd. He already lowered the money he wanted for his blood to make a cure to 50 bucks compared to the millions he wanted before. That alone shows enough that he's a good guy.

I mean he's in the middle-east or at least around that area. Which is an area we haven't been to yet in RE. Despite all our globe trotting. Also it implies he's still out hiding for whatever reason, since his relation to wesker is top secret and hasn't been made known.

Dunno. The after credits sequence of Jake and Sherry already told enough that he was a good guy and left. Then to have another sequence with him just to cement that seems odd. He already lowered the money he wanted for his blood to make a cure to 50 bucks compared to the millions he wanted before. That alone shows enough that he's a good guy.

Yeah, but now we know he's legit and fighting monsters like the other RE protags. I don't know, feels like you're stretching there to me. I mean, nothing in that scene really says cliffhanger or doesn't seem to hint at anything. I think it was just a cool scene.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, but now we know he's legit and fighting monsters like the other RE protags. I don't know, feels like you're stretching there to me. I mean, nothing in that scene really says cliffhanger or doesn't seem to hint at anything. I think it was just a cool scene.

I guess.
Regardless, we better get an update on him in some form. I'll even take a "Mysterious man in middle east fights bows by himself" newspaper clipping or something. You don't introduce the son of wesker, and then don't use him ever again.

Manu

I guess.
Regardless, we better get an update on him in some form. I'll even take a "Mysterious man in middle east fights bows by himself" newspaper clipping or something. You don't introduce the son of wesker, and then don't use him ever again.

This is Resident Evil we're talking about.

They did follow up on Alex though, so I'm sure we'll see Jake again somewhere down the line.

Episode 1 is free on PSN, maybe other services too, it pretty representitive of the whole game though Claire's section does start off slow with enemy introduction.

There are sections with a bunch of enemies but generally you stealth through a lot of the game and will find 3-4 enemies at most before others spawn, if at all.

Personally I find Rev 2 Raid mode terrible and not worth my time, and I played Rev 1 raid mode a fair bit and enjoyed it. Neither compare to Mercs at all.

Wanderer5

Personally I find Rev 2 Raid mode terrible and not worth my time, and I played Rev 1 raid mode a fair bit and enjoyed it. Neither compare to Mercs at all.

What is wrong with Rev 2 raid mode just wondering? I enjoyed that mode in the first game, through Merc is still a bit more fun.

Wanderer5

Nothing? I liked it.

I was meaning that as a response towards Stallion. I just thought it was just more of the same thing with more customizing or such (which maybe that could be the problem? :p). I haven't checked out Rev 2, so I don't know much beside some info on the mode.

What is wrong with Rev 2 raid mode just wondering? I enjoyed that mode in the first game, through Merc is still a bit more fun.

The rankings are meaningless, the maps are recycled to oblivion, the maps are mostly shitty looking maps from other games and just arenas instead of areas to travel through. The thing was a huge grind too, each character and each ability needing be leveled up individually was just taking the piss. Upgrades or weapons getting destroyed to change them was bullshit.

The mode was clearly designed to try and eek out microtransaction spending rather than anything else, every change from Rev 1 raid was for the worse.

Mr_Zombie

Revelations 2 certainly feels better to play then it looked so far. The normal running speed could be faster though, like they're running in slow motion.

When playing as Claire, remember to switch to Moira for a melee combo (IIRC you kick the enemy with Claire and then finish them off with Moira's crowbar). Also, later when you start upgrading your characters through skills, Moira's crowbar will be pretty powerful to deal with normal enemies when they are in reasonable numbers.

I think the fact that it's a "secret" ending - available when you complete the whole game, not just a single scenario - might be the reason people think it's more than it supposedly really is.

For me: it started good, but after a while I realized that the whole mode is nothing more than a constant grinding and that it focuses on the weakest part of the game: the combat (a similar mode in RE6 would be probably much better). After a while it simply stopped being fun to me; and given that I still had a lot of characters to upgrade, I just lost interest.

I played like 90 hours of Raid Mode in Rev 2 and didn't spend a single penny on microtransactions.

Doesn't mean the game wasn't made with an intent to push them or that it affected the mode for the worse.

Same argument for every f2p game, can always get stuff for nothing and never spend, but it's not gonna be as good an experience as the same game made without any of it affecting the design.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
REV 2 is a lot of fun. It isn't a character action game, which is basically what RE6 low-key is.

Guns don't feel very good, but honestly they feel horrible in 6, too.

If you get into spamming dodge and setting up combos with your partner, it's a pretty good time. Crowbar and brick are beastly and it's fun to switch out at the right time and wreck shit.

Raid mode is terrific except for Code Red. They failed to find a way to keep it interesting at the highest levels. RNG is too shitty and cruel once you're level 100, almost everything is worthless. The reward loop is busted. They should look at something like Desperate Escape for the next iteration of Raid, some randomness to keep things interesting.

But you don't have to worry about that for a long time.

People say it looks bad but I honestly can't think of any games with a $20.00 launch price with REV2 levels of ridiculous content, beloved characters, and mid-tier production values.

When playing as Claire, remember to switch to Moira for a melee combo (IIRC you kick the enemy with Claire and then finish them off with Moira's crowbar).

That's what I've been doing so far, the game tells you this as well. It's really what makes the game for me. I'm enjoying this game, but if the characters didn't feel like they were running underwater, it'd be even better.

People say it looks bad but I honestly can't think of any games with a $20.00 launch price with REV2 levels of ridiculous content, beloved characters, and mid-tier production values.

The textures are better than a lot of RE6's low-res textures at least, it's mostly the very simplistic level geometry that brings the look down, especially in outside areas.

Jawmuncher

Rev 2 is definitely lacking the higher quality models and lighting of RE6 though. When you play as Leon and Chris in Raid, they kinda stick out. Actually a lot of stuff just kinda sticks out.

I've made my complaint about it, so I won't bother again. Kinda wish the game hadn't been cross gen. Probably would look a bit better.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
The worst thing about Raymond (& Jessica) is that they've been AWOL for... what? Ten years in the RE timeline?

The conclusion of REV1 (and to a lesser extent Jessica's Report) suggests that they are both deep players in some serious shit.

*crickets*

I used Jessica in Raid a lot because I love rifles. Her being just a skin for Gina in Rev2 is gross (even if it is her coolest outfit)

Top Bottom