• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Wanderer5

Just arrived at the final chapter in RE4. Noooo it is almost over. D: I'll probably save it for tomorrow.

The rankings are meaningless, the maps are recycled to oblivion, the maps are mostly shitty looking maps from other games and just arenas instead of areas to travel through. The thing was a huge grind too, each character and each ability needing be leveled up individually was just taking the piss. Upgrades or weapons getting destroyed to change them was bullshit.

The mode was clearly designed to try and eek out microtransaction spending rather than anything else, every change from Rev 1 raid was for the worse.

Hm well that be unfortunate. Does the game have something like the Ghost Ship run in Rev 1? That was pretty fun of needing to through the ship and choosing different routes as the encounters become harder.

Just arrived at the final chapter in RE4. Noooo it is almost over. D: I'll probably save it for tomorrow.

Yeah I got RE4 on PS4 for Christmas and I'm loving my first playthrough with the 60FPS.

No lie, I feel like Capcom could have gotten away with a few more action horror mainline RE games if they never got too far away from that RE "feel" that you still get with RE4. You couldn't even move left or right in RE6. It was all about walking straight into the next QTE with 6.

Wanderer5

Well I decided just to get it over with, and at long fucking last, I beaten RE4 lol. Better late than never!

What an amazing game, if not a masterpiece. Very few things I have complaints of, and it is pretty damn impressive how great the pacing is for a 15 hour like game. I also got hooked on the more tank like controls compare to the likes of recent entries quite faster than I was expecting, even through I didn't have that much doubts heh.

Not sure when I would do another playthrough, but I am quite glad to have finally seen this to the end.XD For now there is still the extras of course, and I can't say no to an Ada campaign.<3

Rev 2 is definitely lacking the higher quality models and lighting of RE6 though. When you play as Leon and Chris in Raid, they kinda stick out. Actually a lot of stuff just kinda sticks out.

I've been playing a bunch of the RE6 maps in Raid mode now and eh, yeah, the lightning (Which used to cover up some of the horrendous Quake III engine-like textures in 6.) is worse as well as the level geometry, but the textures are better. But there were a lot of objects you could jump over in RE6, not here though, and it's kinda throwing me off.

I'm not too bothered by the graphics, this being the low-budget game it is, but the walking and running animation bother me. They reused a lot of animations from RE6, should've done the same here.

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but didn't you have to level each character individually as well, in the first REV? Haven't played that since it's 3DS release.

Wanderer5

RE4 Mercenaries is a blast, through I am already having thoughts of checking out Merc 3D again instead lol.

But I need to unlock all the characters!:p Plus it does have Leon and Ada.

How does RE5 mercs compare to the other 2, especially now it's The Mercenaries United?

4 mercs seemed a bit too structured compared to 6. While the latter there was a bit more freedom in roaming the map and how to accomplish high scores, the other seemed to move me to specific spots at certain points in order to have the best success.

Still enjoyed 4 Mercs. Krauser is a delight and those boss types on the docks map are insane.

Jawmuncher

How does RE5 mercs compare to the other 2, especially now it's The Mercenaries United?

4 mercs seemed a bit too structured compared to 6. While the latter there was a bit more freedom in roaming the map and how to accomplish high scores, the other seemed to move me to specific spots at certain points in order to have the best success.

Still enjoyed 4 Mercs. Krauser is a delight and those boss types on the docks map are insane.

5 is a better form of mercenaries than 4 in every way to me. About the only thing missing is Krausers arm like you said. It's definitely easier for any play style to get a high score compared to RE4.

Gradon

Mercenaries 4 is too tense for me, I'm always on edge because I find it harder.

I love Mercenaries for 5 and 6, Mercenaries 3D had the right idea with missions and characters but fell short on combining every character and every stage along with being able to just pick a stage and play normal mercenaries

Wanderer5

It would be great if a more fleshed out standalone of the mode came around, especially if RE7 doesn't have it (I think that might have been confirmed or such??).

Merc 3D was a lot of fun, but it did felt like it was missing quite a bit. I wish I had played more of online, but I was getting some really annoying issues, mostly when trying to join a game.:/

Jawmuncher

Mercenaries 4 is too tense for me, I'm always on edge because I find it harder.

I love Mercenaries for 5 and 6, Mercenaries 3D had the right idea with missions and characters but fell short on combining every character and every stage along with being able to just pick a stage and play normal mercenaries

It would be great if a more fleshed out standalone of the mode came around, especially if RE7 doesn't have it (I think that might have been confirmed or such??).

Merc 3D was a lot of fun, but it did felt like it was missing quite a bit. I wish I had played more of online, but I was getting some really annoying issues, mostly when trying to join a game.:/
RE7 I doubt has mercenaries, and if there is anything even slightly similar probably won't be until DLC.

I do agree Mercs 3D was a good idea, just with a flawed premise. I didn't like the way it was set up, with the faux missions before the good stuff.

kc44135

IMO, RE5 is still best Mercs, and it's even better with Mercs United. People have complained about balancing issues (mainly because you can only play on the Mercs Reunion versions of maps, which weren't balanced with the original, non-Reunion characters in mind), but I think these complaints are a bit exaggerated. I can still have a blast and do well with any character on any map, and it's amazing to be able to have, say, a Chris and Rebecca or Barry and Jill tag team smack talking Majini and kicking ass together.
My only complaint is with No Mercy mode (the mode where they throw a crap ton of dudes at you), which I think sucks, honestly. It's solo only, so no tag teams allowed, and it runs poorly at times on PS4, unfortunately.

IMO, RE5 is still best Mercs, and it's even better with Mercs United. People have complained about balancing issues (mainly because you can only play on the Mercs Reunion versions of maps, which weren't balanced with the original, non-Reunion characters in mind), but I think these complaints are a bit exaggerated. I can still have a blast and do well with any character on any map, and it's amazing to be able to have, say, a Chris and Rebecca or Barry and Jill tag team smack talking Majini and kicking ass together.
My only complaint is with No Mercy mode (the mode where they throw a crap ton of dudes at you), which I think sucks, honestly. It's solo only, so no tag teams allowed, and it runs poorly at times on PS4, unfortunately.

The only beef I have with United is that it uses the Reunion Theme, instead of the music that played during regular Mercs.

And I agree about No Mercy. Even without the performance issues I don't think the combat in this game is designed around having to deal with this much enemies.

In RE6 however, No Mercy Mercs is the only Mercs that matters.

Mr_Zombie

The original (GfWL) PC version of RE5 had a mod that allowed you to play No Mercy in online co-op, and the mod was glorious. I wonder why Capcom hasn't implemented the No Mercy co-op in the remaster version. While I believe PS3 and X360 might have problems with that amount of enemies in co-op, the current-gen consoles should easily deal with it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Does anybody have PDF links for the Project Umbrella documents (chronology of evil, biology of evil).

Their inbedded Scribd player isn't doing a thing for me.

Happy new year everyone!

RE5's Mercs is my favorite, it may be because of Jill though hahah
But 4 and 6 are great too

Really hoping for a standalone title ala Mercenaries 3D given that 7 won't have it.

Jawmuncher

Nemmy fight in Clock Tower is bullshit if you don't have a healing item or didn't master the art of DOOOODGE

Yeah, playing recently. That fight can be a pretty big FU if you didn't plan things right. I had wasted my ammo mixing and made regular grenades. You need mainly ice, or at least anything other than regular grenades, since they barely do anything it seems.

Banned
Hi everyone. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil HD and I don't really know what I'm meant to do. The gates on the first floor of the mansion require two stone and medal objects but I'm missing the stone bit on one of my medals. I have no clue where to find it. I thought that maybe the battery could fix the elevator in the courtyard but it just moves me to different places in the courtyard. I don't know where to go, could someone please help me?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Hi everyone. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil HD and I don't really know what I'm meant to do. The gates on the first floor of the mansion require two stone and medal objects but I'm missing the stone bit on one of my medals. I have no clue where to find it. I thought that maybe the battery could fix the elevator in the courtyard but it just moves me to different places in the courtyard. I don't know where to go, could someone please help me?

Use the crank in the courtyard and fill the pool. Use the elevator and go to the passage where the waterfall used to be.

Wanderer5

So I started doing Separate Ways and yikes at the cutscenes. It is kind of jarring from the clean look of the actual game to this.

9DE8A5616E5CD1389B4613BDA07739564836E7F8

Guessing it cause this side story was made for the PS2 version first and thus the cutscenes were probably not in real time?

kamineko

Does anybody have PDF links for the Project Umbrella documents (chronology of evil, biology of evil).

Their inbedded Scribd player isn't doing a thing for me.

Nobody? Too bad News Bot got perm'd. We don't have any Project Umbrella folks at ResiGAF? I don't remember my username or I'd ask there. I guess I could go ask over at biohaze

Does the PS3 / PS4 version of Resident Evil 4 have those slowdowns like the PC version?

PS4 RE runs great, except for some reload animations and some truly ugly FMV. Are there any particular parts in PC that are slow? Or is it just all the time?

Mr_Zombie

PS4 RE runs great, except for some reload animations and some truly ugly FMV. Are there any particular parts in PC that are slow? Or is it just all the time?

The 60fps mode is basically hacked in (a lot of in-game logic and animations were based on the original game running in 30fps; hence in the initial PC release there were bugs like projectiles hanging in the air or chickens laying too many eggs). Therefore if you choose to play the game in 60fps the game *has* to run in 60fps. If for some reason the game can't hold stable 60fps, everything slows down and runs in slow-mo. At least that's the case on PC. 30fps mode runs fine.

PS3 version doesn't have this problem, since there's no 60fps mode there. Dunno about PS4 version, since IIRC it was a port of the PC version.

I like RE5 Mercs the best by far, even topped some scoreboards on it. But I like the RE4 Mercs design better, with limited time and infinite enemies, plus no bonus time (and thus score) for melee kills.

RE5 is best because more fun to play in general, even if scoring good is harder work.

Psxphile

Nemmy fight in Clock Tower is bullshit if you don't have a healing item or didn't master the art of DOOOODGE
Did anyone ever master the art of RE3's DOOOODGE? I mean, I could never get it to trigger successfully half-the-time, seemed like a random occurrence. Was it the speed at which you mash the buttons? Were you meant to tap all at the same time? What's the science behind the mechanic?

I do remember how sweet it was to dodge multiple times in a row in Mercs and accrue a shit load of bonus time, but that kind of luck was few and far between.

Yeah, playing recently. That fight can be a pretty big FU if you didn't plan things right. I had wasted my ammo mixing and made regular grenades. You need mainly ice, or at least anything other than regular grenades, since they barely do anything it seems.

Regular grenade rounds were always meant for crowd control. Ice rounds was always more effective against The Nemster.

Did anyone ever master the art of RE3's DOOOODGE? I mean, I could never get it to trigger successfully half-the-time, seemed like a random occurrence. Was it the speed at which you mash the buttons? Were you meant to tap all at the same time? What's the science behind the mechanic?

Simple in mechanics, harder in execution.

You either press AIM as an enemy is mid attack, or you are already aiming and press ATTACK as an enemy is mid attack.

Some enemies it is hard to judge the attack moment, slow to aim weapons like rocket launcher help to dodge as the aiming animation lasts longer meaning if you're 'early' to press aim you might get lucky and it attacks before the aim finishes.

Also it's next to impossible to do it reliably on HDTV or PS3 etc due to input and display lag. PC, emulation or PS1/2 and CRT TV are best.

Wanderer5

So I ended up getting the first episode of Revelations 2 at the last min cause 77 cents lol, and now it is like yeeeah I am not getting the rest of the game till another sale.XD

Not a bad start through, even with the budget already showing. I like the Barry part of the episode where you are going through a dark forest, which felt pretty tense there in particular. The dual characters setup this time around is pretty interesting, and lol at some of the dialogue:

Claire: I was almost a Claire sandwich.
Moira: Ugh, does Barry tell everyone that story?

The writing shows promise.

So I ended up getting the first episode of Revelations 2 at the last min cause 77 cents lol, and now it is like yeeeah I am not getting the rest of the game till another sale.XD

Not a bad start through, even with the budget already showing. I like the Barry part of the episode where you are going through a dark forest, which felt pretty tense there in particular. The dual characters setup this time around is pretty interesting, and lol at some of the dialogue:

Claire: I was almost a Claire sandwich.
Moira: Ugh, does Barry tell everyone that story?

The writing shows promise.

The game is already super cheap.

You just started and I'm almost done with Episode 4. Great little game and I like the last two episodes better so far as you're not just retreading old ground as Barry, even though the little things you could do as Claire that would influence things for Barry were a nice touch.

I'm only a bit disappointed that again, you can't really start a clean, new game. What about all the weapon parts lying around in the campaign? Do they at least get replaced by treasure or something on a second playthrough?

You just started and I'm almost done with Episode 4. Great little game and I like the last two episodes better so far as you're not just retreading old ground as Barry, even though the little things you could do as Claire that would influence things for Barry were a nice touch.

I'm only a bit disappointed that again, you can't really start a clean, new game. What about all the weapon parts lying around in the campaign? Do they at least get replaced by treasure or something on a second playthrough?

Been a while, but I think you get upgrade points instead. There is a point to reopening the boxes, for a while.

Wanderer5

Hm, so I checked out Raid Mode for a few rounds, and I already feel iffy about it lol. Kind of annoys me that now you have to level up the characters separately, but not a big deal for now.

Banned
I just finished Remake yesterday, what an incredible game. I'm going save my Chris play-through for when I play it on PC.

About to start Zero now, I've heard less than positive things about this game. The fact that it has a different control scheme then the remake is awful, I'm going to have to adjust again (I went from RE3 to Remake to Zero). Anyone got any tips for Zero? I've heard that it can get pretty difficult.

kamineko

Here's my OT for RE0

There are a couple of big things:

Leave your items in places that make sense. Almost every area has a central "spot" so you can minimize backtracking. Don't carry the hookshot around, but don't let it get too far from you, either.

Rebecca cannot take hits. She is physically weaker than Jill in REmake so don't run point with her unless you want to use a good gun

Resources are tighter than Remake on normal difficulty (I haven't counted, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and there are a couple of rooms with a few zombies in them where you can't just juke your way through. That's more of a warning than advice I guess

In the last quarter of the game there are OHKO monsters that appear in random locations (seriously) so save your game.

I like it a lot. The remaster really is gorgeous

kc44135

I just finished Remake yesterday, what an incredible game. I'm going save my Chris play-through for when I play it on PC.

About to start Zero now, I've heard less than positive things about this game. The fact that it has a different control scheme then the remake is awful, I'm going to have to adjust again (I went from RE3 to Remake to Zero). Anyone got any tips for Zero? I've heard that it can get pretty difficult.

I'm playing through Zero again right now, actually. It's not as bad as some folks make it out to be, really, although it is easily the weakest of the classics. Having marathoned through them all back to back to get ready for 7, it's flaws really do stick out. The biggest hurdle you're going to face by far is the inventory system. There are no item boxes in this game, and instead you just drop things on the ground. Additionally, you only have six slots per character, and some items take two slots, which sucks.

The best tip I can give for item management is to not just leave things lying around randomly. The game is actually quite unforgiving about this, and will respawn some tough enemies in various rooms at certain points in the story, which you don't want to have to tackle. Instead, leave all your items in the (very minor spoiler)
main hall of the training facility, and the second floor save room that connects to it
. These two rooms will always be safe, and as you progress to new areas of the game, you'll find shortcuts that lead you back to these two rooms, so don't worry about leaving your stuff behind there, and just treat those two rooms like gigantic item boxes, lol. Also, (again, very minor spoiler)
as long as you've at least picked up an item in the train and had it show up on your map, it will show up in the first room of the training facility
, so don't worry about losing items once you progress to the next area.

Beyond all of that, just bear in mind that Billy has around twice as much as health as Rebecca, so he should always take point in combat situations (as in, he should always be standing in front of her). If you've ever played a party based RPG, think of him as the Tank class. You'll probably hate this game at first due to the unforgiving and frustrating item management, but if you can get used to it, there is a fun, tense old-school Survival Horror game with fantastic atmosphere, a foreboding soundtrack, and hands down the best pre-rendered backgrounds ever.

kc44135

Here's my OT for RE0

There are a couple of big things:

Leave your items in places that make sense. Almost every area has a central "spot" so you can minimize backtracking. Don't carry the hookshot around, but don't let it get too far from you, either.

Rebecca cannot take hits. She is physically weaker than Jill in REmake so don't run point with her unless you want to use a good gun

Resources are tighter than Remake on normal difficulty (I haven't counted, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and there are a couple of rooms with a few zombies in them where you can't just juke your way through. That's more of a warning than advice I guess

In the last quarter of the game there are OHKO monsters that appear in random locations (seriously) so save your game.

I like it a lot. The remaster really is gorgeous

What OHKO enemies are you talking about, kamineko? The
Hunters
? I can't think of anything else that could instantly kill you.

kamineko

The
frogs
!

In-motherfucking-deed. I think I got through four playthroughs over a period of years without ever getting nabbed. Someone mentioned them on a board and I didn't know what they meant.

Jump forward a couple of years, straight-up burned a no-save run on the Remaster >_>

kc44135

The
frogs
!

Ohh, those damn things. I forgot about 'em, lol. Also, on a different note, I just got up to the
Giant Bat boss
. What is the strategy supposed to be for this thing? Like, I've beaten it, but it always feels like luck. Is there any 100% consistent strategy for it? I know you can stun lock it with the 'nade launcher and flame rounds, but half the time it manages to get away and then I get stun locked when the
little bats
show up. Ugh, so frustrating.

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys!

I just finished the train section and it's alright so far. The game is really gorgeous and Rebecca and Billy are cool characters. Item management is a pain, and the decision to revert back to 6 slots is baffling, even more so when you realise that certain items take up two slots. The game would have really benefited from having 8 slots for both Rebecca and Billy.

Mr_Zombie

Two more tips:
- since you've just finished the train section, remember to bring the hookshoot with you; you won't need it at all in the Marcus' facility (so you can drop it in the main hall), but you will need it in the very next location; and not having the thing with you results in some horrible backtracking;

- before you activate (minor spoiler)
the observatory
(at which point you will basically leave the Marcus' facility and will be moving to the next location) bring all your necessary items to that room; at that point in the game the mansion will be filled with a new wave of enemies and you really don't want to fight your way back to the main hall;

Item management is a pain, and the decision to revert back to 6 slots is baffling, even more so when you realise that certain items take up two slots. The game would have really benefited from having 8 slots for both Rebecca and Billy.

I don't want to spoil anything, but if that's bothering you, at one point you will hate the game. :>

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
After replaying RE2 again for a long time, I hope in REmake 2 the scenarios will be more different. Besides certain events, the path is the same for both scenarios in RE2.

Make certain puzzles to be exclusive to one scenario, alongside exclusive areas.

kamineko

Yeah, it's an alias. Strange choice.

Possibly due to fan resentment over Alyson Court being replaced? Not sure

Top Bottom