• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Manu

So earlier today I posted this picture on the RE7 spoiler thread:

cltLzAA.png

Looks like at some point they retconned Moira's age. She's 20 in Revelations 2, which means she was born in 1991. She definitely doesn't look 7 in that picture.

I remember her looking younger in Barry's family picture in REmake so they probably changed her age around that time.

The more I think about RE7, the less I want to return to it. After Jack's departure, the game really loses it. They really front loaded the best parts of the game at the start and it doesn't pick back up until
Mia's portion, in my opinion. Sneaking around the desolate ship was fun as was watching Mia go from helpless to badass. It's a shame we weren't stalked on that level. That really would've been cool.

But Marguerite's section, Lucas' section, and the Salt Mines range from bland to bad. You could've done so much with the Old House. Take Marguerite's hive theme to another level. Lucas' portion could've been full on Saw and Seven and had one puzzle room after another and it accumulates in the Birthday Room. The Salt Mines...well, the Salt Mines probably shouldn't have been in the game in the first place. The ship probably should've been the climax location.

Jawmuncher

The more I think about RE7, the less I want to return to it. After Jack's departure, the game really loses it. They really front loaded the best parts of the game at the start and it doesn't pick back up until
Mia's portion, in my opinion. Sneaking around the desolate ship was fun as was watching Mia go from helpless to badass. It's a shame we weren't stalked on that level. That really would've been cool.

But Marguerite's section, Lucas' section, and the Salt Mines range from bland to bad. You could've done so much with the Old House. Take Marguerite's hive theme to another level. Lucas' portion could've been full on Saw and Seven and had one puzzle room after another and it accumulates in the Birthday Room. The Salt Mines...well, the Salt Mines probably shouldn't have been in the game in the first place. The ship probably should've been the climax location.

Yeah while I enjoyed my time with it for the most part. I had no interest in going back to play it. Especially on PC where I don't find achievements being worth anything. Had I picked the game up on Xbox or PS4, I would have played it more just for the easy Plat / 1000. Since much like you after a certain part, I never want to go through the rest of the game any time soon.

It still blows my mind how good Revelations 2 turned out to be.
If you're a RE fan and still haven't checked it out get to it right now.

Was that episodic? Is there a complete version of it? If so, is it available on PS4?

Would I need to have played the first Revelations?

Mr_Zombie

Was that episodic? Is there a complete version of it? If so, is it available on PS4?

Would I need to have played the first Revelations?

Yes, it's episodic.
Yes, it's available on PS4.
No, you don't need to play the first Revelations; there are few references to characters/organizations that appear in Rev1, but they aren't necessary to enjoy the game or the story.

Jawmuncher

I would say that at least First Person RE is better able to simulate the classic style than the third person games that have less action than RE4-6.

But yeah more or less we're at

Third Person RE fans (Rev games)
Action RE Fans (4-6)
First Person Fans (RE7)
classic style Fans (1-CVX)

I posted this in the best gaming memory thread on the main forum but it's appropriate for here as well:

My best memory is the night I first played Resident Evil. But first you need backstory, I was a huge sega fanboy, biased against Nintendo and laughed at the idea of Sony making a system. I got a Saturn for Christmas when it came out, my brother got a PS, I figured I had the much better system. One day at a mall I saw a game magazine with my brother that had a preview for a game called Resident Evil, my brother was a massive horror fan so this was his dream game.

So March comes 1996 comes along and it's Resident Evil launch week, my brother buys the game on a Friday and we make an event of it. I called my best friend over and we had a sleep over to play this new state of the art horror game. But my brother wanted to wait till midnight to start it for the full effect. In the meantime he also bought this game D to kill the time so we actually managed to play and beat D in like two hours before starting RE.

Midnight struck and so my brother started RE. There is Chris running from the camera "ah ahhhhh!" Already I was like omg. He starts the game, picks Chris because he is a dude and the intro begins. My mind is blown right now, I am watching a horror movie play out in love action as a game intro. I loved every second of it, the cast roll was my favorite, instantly I was like wow that Wesker guy seems like a total douchebag. The explosion happens and then "RESIDENT EVIL!!" Best intro to a game ever at that point.

Then my brother starts to play, I cannot believe the presentation, we are playing a movie with voice acting, with cutscenes and movie like camera angles. It was a revolution, it was the first moment I saw what cinematic gameplay is like, there was nothing like that on consoles. We all laughed when he tried to walk around and was moving backwards and spinning, Chris looked like a drunk. He gets to the kitchen goes to the zombie room and that first zombie clip loads. We are freaking out at this point, my brother is yelling what do I do?!?! Get the knife!! Press buttons!!! Ahhhhhhh!!! The first zombie eats my brother. His turn is over, now it's my turn.

I read the manual, I know Jill gets a handgun so I pick her, and thus my love for Jill starts as that is the best way to play. I also instantly love Barry, "its blood!" So I reach the first zombie, use the gun and kill him. Time to explore the house and what a house it is. There was something to inspect around every corner, so much mystery. Each new camera angle brought the fear of death in me as many times I couldn't see ahead, only hear. I made my way to the window room which I had seen in a magazine so I knew the dogs would be jumping in, we all knew this yet when those dogs crashed through the window I screamed like a girl and threw the controller in the air. We were all screaming and laughing as I struggled to grab the controller from the floor as the dog ate my face.

We went on taking turns through the night, got up to Yawn at one point before my and my friend went to sleep. That game change my view of gaming forever, I knew then games were not just toys for kids but a medium that could be every bit as powerful as movies. It also shattered my sega bias as I became a huge PS fan and a fan of all games. To this day I still love this franchise dearly.

I would say that at least First Person RE is better able to simulate the classic style than the third person games that have less action than RE4-6.

But yeah more or less we're at

Third Person RE fans (Rev games)
Action RE Fans (4-6)
First Person Fans (RE7)
classic style Fans (1-CVX)

Classic would be 1-0.

As someone who loves horror, even/especially campy horror, but hates super-Japanese-flavored melodrama, I really just love RE1234 and 7 but can't stand 0, CVX, 5, or 6. Arguably that means I dislike when a given style of RE starts seriously showing its age.

zeemumu

Why does he start shooting sideways lol

He's still got that rookie mentality that being a cop is as action packed as it is on TV and he's justified due to his first day involving a zombie apocalypse followed by becoming a special agent who fights monsters on a regular basis. Dude's been living out his fantasy since day 1. No traffic tickets and domestic disputes to handle for him. It's all T-Virus and shooting the zombie president.

He's still got that rookie mentality that being a cop is as action packed as it is on TV and he's justified due to his first day involving a zombie apocalypse followed by becoming a special agent who fights monsters on a regular basis. Dude's been living out his fantasy since day 1. No traffic tickets and domestic disputes to handle for him. It's all T-Virus and shooting the zombie president.

That's a pretty good explanation for his character when you think about it lol. He never knew what it was like to be a normal cop

Jawmuncher

Real Talk part of why I liked RE5 so much is I get some metal gear vibes from it. Really RE 4-6 especially give me that vibe kinda.

Jawmuncher

Looks like Japan didn't take into the first person as much

Ōkami;229537581 said:
[PS1] Resident Evil 2 - 1.389.733
[PS1] Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - 1.005.020
[PS3] Resident Evil 6 - 643.802
[PS3] Resident Evil 5 - 321.670
[DC] Resident Evil Code: Veronica - 306.778
[PS2] Resident Evil 4 - 234.917
[PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 231.188
[NGC] Resident Evil 0 - 190.394
[PS2] Resident Evil Code: Veronica X - 184.475
[PS1] Resident Evil - 148.904
[NGC] Resident Evil 4 - 145.533
[NGC] Resident Evil - 119.019

Only GameCube games, the original title and late ports had a lower opening than Resident Evil 7, even Operation Raccoon City had a higher first week.

While I do believe that 7 had a smaller budget and team than 6 "look at it" its a dumb excuse, you need to take into account all the R&D that had to go into VR and the development of the new engine, for everything to work as well as it did must have taken a long time and some very good and expensive tools, just because the game is less flashy than 6 doesn't mean it costs pennies to make.

Biggest first weeks on PS4.
01. Final Fantasy XV - 716.649
02. Knack - 322.083
03. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 315.288
04. Persona 5 - 268.320
05. Dragon Quest Heroes - 255.292
06. Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 231.188
07. Dark Souls III - 218.764
08. Yakuza 6 - 201.211
09. Dragon Quest Heroes II - 188.690
10. Tales of Berseria - 160.040

Take this for what you will.

Also, Splatoon is gone from Famitsu after an incredible 87 week run.

Did this quickly, but these games had the longest runs on Famitsu (uninterrupted of course)

01. Pokémon Red / Blue / Green - 104 weeks
02. Animal Crossing: Wild World - 100 weeks
03. Wii Sports - 100 weeks
04. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 98 weeks (and counting)
05. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 97 weeks
06. Wii Fit - 96 weeks
07. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day - 94 weeks
08. Splatoon - 87 weeks
09. Wii Play - 87 weeks
10. New Super Mario Bros. - 79 weeks

I did this pretty fast so it's likely that I miss some games, also this starts in 1995 so it's likely that a game before that (like say, Super Mario Bros./World had a longer run, we don't yet), also worth noting that most games here are from the hight of the DS/Wii years were a game could sell 5k and not be able to enter Top 30 and when some games were selling so much they had stock issues and dropped out in some weeks such is the case with Mario Kart (both DS and Wii) as well as New Super Mario Bros. and some other DS and Wii games.

Minecraft will also very likely had the longest run ever in the end, it only needs a few more weeks.

This was the bulk of sales and the version of the game that will sell the most, standard version maybe sold 50k.

WolfTime

Banned
Going by accomplishments within the resident evil universe

who would you guys say has had a greater influence/impact on the War against Bio-terrorism

Chris or Leon?

Jawmuncher

who would you guys say has had a greater influence/impact on the War against Bio-terrorism

Chris or Leon?

That's a hard question. Though I feel Chris stopping Albert Wesker alone kind of trumps what leon has done. Since his plan was global. Looking at the rest of the games, I would say Chris overall, has done more in stopping Bio-Terror. A big part of that being more appearances and scenarios where he had to stop things compared to leon.

However Leon did still put in a lot of work. But I do feel like RE2 is the weakest of him contributing to Bioterror. Since had he not done anything, the bomb on Raccoon City would have taken care of mostly everything anyway.

WolfTime

Banned
That's a hard question. Though I feel Chris stopping Albert Wesker alone kind of trumps what leon has done. Since his plan was global. Looking at the rest of the games, I would say Chris overall, has done more in stopping Bio-Terror. A big part of that being more appearances and scenarios where he had to stop things compared to leon.

However Leon did still put in a lot of work. But I do feel like RE2 is the weakest of him contributing to Bioterror. Since had he not done anything, the bomb on Raccoon City would have taken care of mostly everything anyway.

also isn't Chris one of the founders of BSAA or something?

Seyavesh

Chris or Leon?
chris by far just because he helped establish the bsaa and actually is the one on scene responding to bioterror events globally. he's also responsible for taking down umbrella and getting the word out on bioterrorism even existing/being a possibility in the first place.
by nature of effectively being the main character of the resident evil series he's had the most appearances and most impact.

leon's stuff has always been really side story/'on the ground'-ish, with re6 being an exception to that because of simmons.

Mr_Zombie

Chris or Leon?

Leon - first a rookie cop, later a USA agent - usually just happen to be in places where bad things happen and somehow manages to survive (while killing the bad guy). Chris, on the other hand, actively goes on missions against bio-terrorism and was one of the founders of BSAA.

So Chris wins.

Is Revelations 2 on Vita any good? Worthwhile version of it?

Revelations 2 was basically a PS4/XO/PC game downported to PS3/X360 - that version already have lower-res textures, worse framerate, missing effects (shadows here, some lighting there, poorer folliage, lack of DOF etc.). Now imagine that downported even more to run on a handheld and you have your answer. It's basically like playing the game on very-low settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFw7vHqQsPc

Also, IIRC the Vita version was an afterthought and the port was produced by Sony (it was done outside Capcom, by Frima Studio).

cheez124

trying to get the handcannon in RE4, managed to get a pretty good score in mercs with ada in the process. i think she's my best character so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N06s7snmNOI

RE4 mercs can be tough, especially since i'm so used to 5 and 6 mercs. can't rely on melee invincibility as much. thankfully, i already got 5 stars on every level with leon out of the way

Jawmuncher

trying to get the handcannon in RE4, managed to get a pretty good score in mercs with ada in the process. i think she's my best character so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N06s7snmNOI

RE4 mercs can be tough, especially since i'm so used to 5 and 6 mercs. can't rely on melee invincibility as much. thankfully, i already got 5 stars on every level with leon out of the way

I wish you could play mercs in RE4 without having to beat the game. Back in the day I preferred wesker. Since you can wreck with his Sniper.

cheez124

I wish you could play mercs in RE4 without having to beat the game. Back in the day I preferred wesker. Since you can wreck with his Sniper.
i think RE5 did the same thing, and yeah it's kind of annoying. RE6 having mercs unlocked from the start was really nice

i tried wesker out for a bit and yeah he's pretty ridiculous, as usual lol. i'm gonna save my 5 star runs with him for last, he'll probably make waterworld super easy

Jawmuncher

i think RE5 did the same thing, and yeah it's kind of annoying. RE6 having mercs unlocked from the start was really nice

i tried wesker out for a bit and yeah he's pretty ridiculous, as usual lol. i'm gonna save my 5 star runs with him for last, he'll probably make waterworld super easy

Yeah, he's by far the easiest character to get 5 stars with imo.

WolfTime

Banned
why won't Leon join BSAA

i hope there is a scene in Vendetta where Chris says "There's always a spot for you in BSAA"

and Leon's all like "nah, puts on glasses, i do my own thing"

Chris or Leon?

Chris by a mile.
Leon really isn't doing all that much.

Chris had 2 end of the world scenarios he stopped in a row, Leon's stuff is mostly on a smaller scale.

Chumley

Banned
That gif alone gives me more RE vibes than all of RE7.

So did you only play Resident Evil 5 and 6 or what?

Because the vast majority of Resident Evil games are not that, and the series certainly didn't begin like that at all.

If you want crazy ass action games I'm not even sure why you'd be into this series to begin with. There's a lot of other games out there to fill that role.

Jawmuncher

So did you only play Resident Evil 5 and 6 or what?

Because the vast majority of Resident Evil games are not that, and the series certainly didn't begin like that at all.

If you want crazy ass action games I'm not even sure why you'd be into this series to begin with. There's a lot of other games out there to fill that role.

4-6 were crazy ass action games and are like capcom a top selling titles (if all versions of RE4 are combined). So it's capcom fault that fans of action ended up on RE. They're the ones who figured it was a good shift for the series. For a 1 year old series, if you look at the release dates. It basically went 10 years Survival Horror, and 10 years action.

Also if you can tell me a action series that plays like RE4-6 let me known. The closest you might be able to say is Dead Space. Which even then is far off, since it lacks the melee combat.

I like all the RE games. But the action games are by far my favorite. I don't know why people seem to think that you can't be a fan of RE if you prefer 4-6.

Chumley

Banned
4-6 were crazy ass action games and are like capcom a top selling titles (if all versions of RE4 are combined). So it's capcom fault that fans of action ended up on RE. They're the ones who figured it was a good shift for the series. For a 1 year old series, if you look at the release dates. It basically went 10 years Survival Horror, and 10 years action.

Also if you can tell me a action series that plays like RE4-6 let me known. The closest you might be able to say is Dead Space. Which even then is far off, since it lacks the melee combat.

I like all the RE games. But the action games are by far my favorite. I don't know why people seem to think that you can't be a fan of RE if you prefer 4-6.

RE4 was still a survival horror game. 5 and 6 are when it veered into all out action, and Dead Rising has more in common with those two and all the action offshoots than the other entries in the series.

Top Bottom