• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

https://youtu.be/jCKLvuR27J0

Capcom, put Jake in Mahvel at least.
I remember the times i was hoping RE7 would have starred him just after that RE6 tease.

I still remember my meltdown over the RE7 reveal. It wasn't over the change per se. But more there was no hinting (I mean kitchen was technically, but you know what I mean). So waiting 4 years for another action game and then BAM, first person return to roots was the last thing I wanted to see. Was definitely a case of expecting something that wasn't there. Like when you don't get your most wanted gift for Christmas or whatever.

derFeef

I still remember my meltdown over the RE7 reveal. It wasn't over the change per se. But more there was no hinting (I mean kitchen was technically, but you know what I mean). So waiting 4 years for another action game and then BAM, first person return to roots was the last thing I wanted to see. Was definitely a case of expecting something that wasn't there. Like when you don't get your most wanted gift for Christmas or whatever.

Like when Rememdy get's on stage at E3 and they do not announce an Alan Wake 2?

RSB

Banned
I have the feeling 2017 is the year Resident Evil died.
I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop (when they announce the RE2 Remake to be first person too) but yeah, as a fan of both classic and action RE I'm not happy with the direction the series seems to be heading.

RE7 lacks basically everything I love about the series, if they keep this style for future games, I think you may be right (sadly)

Spinky

My avatar should basically tell you my thoughts on RE7.

I'm just glad I've liked every weird ass direction they've taken the series in.

derFeef

Shadows of the Damned is now backwards compatible. Easily one of my favourite games and I always saw it as a RE-like game. Replay incoming.

Fury451

Banned

Between mainline entries and all the side projects, the series is so dynamic and experimental that it's next to impossible to really kill.

Granted, if the exposure you had was largely the more recent games, it's very different to see this, but RE has always tried new things. With very mixed results in the past, but ambition the series does not lack (which I will argue to the death whenever anyone says RE6 was dull and unambitious).

I'm not a big fan of RE7 though. I have to admit, I'm not done yet (fairly close from what I gather). It's not bad, but it's also not exactly what I'm looking for from the series (though the more focused horror aspects are great).

I think Capcom is smart enough now to recognize that the RE fanbase is diverse when it comes to type of gameplay they want to see from the franchise. They'll probably do their best to cater to each group individually through spinoffs and such rather than try to do everything in one game.

Thinking about it, I don't think they can make a game like RE7 with any of the old cast so that alone means that people shouldn't lose hope for the action stuff. I just don't like it when they do something like Revelations 1 that's some weird medium between the two extremes.

I really hope (and am reasonably confident it will end up) that REmake 2 will be in the classic style. There's really no reason for Capcom to piss off all the people who have been waiting and asking for 2 to get the REmake treatment, especially when RE7 and presumably a sequel or two will carry on in the FPS style.

Not that I think REmake 2 as an FPS would be bad, 7 showed that not to be the case, but there's no reason for it to be.

I think Capcom is smart enough now to recognize that the RE fanbase is diverse when it comes to type of gameplay they want to see from the franchise. They'll probably do their best to cater to each group individually through spinoffs and such rather than try to do everything in one game.

Problem with spin offs is they tend to be low budget, is no way getting a RE5 quality game as a spin off.

Jawmuncher

Here's all my feelings on RE7

Beat the game on normal. Took me 7 hours basically on the dot. I also felt I was exploring pretty well, so I'm surprised by that. So now to get to the nitty gritty of my thoughts (spoiler tagging where applicable). Going to do so by category so it's easier on me.

Gameplay:
Surprising to most, I was fine with the gameplay. This was by far the best aspect of the game. It's definitely the closest they've done replicating the older style, while still doing something new. While the melee isn't the best, you rarely use it outside breaking boxes and such. So much like the older games, the weakness of melee weapons becomes a non-issue. I enjoyed that battles were tense, due to how you'd want to line up the best shot. Only complaint here is maybe the molded take a bit too many hits sometimes, since the gameplay is kinda head shot setups for most combats. But that's a small issue.
The next aspect is the "stalker" enemies people made a big deal about. I liked the concept but they were handled worst than Nemesis. I understand why though. You don't want to force the game into just cat and mouse, since it's just a small part. But in total it affected really only the very beginning of the game. Overall at most, I dealt with stalkers for probably 7 minutes. Was very easy to run past and never have to deal with them. I do want to add that stalker just leaving you alone in a safe room was terribly handled. It's games, but they just forget you exist once you enter one of these room. I had the save room door open, and jack just stood there. They really should have made a canon reason why they couldn't go into these rooms.
The gameplay loop I enjoyed much like older games. Stuff like the ammo crafting (which was now crafting for other items as well), was a nice. Also felt the puzzles were just right, biggest complaint there was way too many shadow puzzles.
VHS tapes were dissapointing. I appreciate what they were trying to do. An optional way to tell the player info. But I felt all of the tapes were weak in both story and gameplay. The best one being the one we all played numerous times from the demo.
There is a shift near the last quarter of the game, that to me didn't feel that out of place. Was very reminiscent of how older RE games usually climax near the end. Though I will say a certain part dragged on for a bit too long
both the VHS of the boat and the boat in general were a bore. Felt like someone NEEDED, to shove a boat into the game

Graphics:
Graphics were good. Playing on PC with a 1060, I was able to keep everything at 60FPS and everything basically on maximum settings. The biggest issue I felt was some of the textures, mainly outside the houses didn't look too hot. I understand why, since not too many people will focus on it. But when you do catch a glimpse of it, it detracts from the experience. There was also a few times where lip syncing was off. Small nitpicks though.

Sound/Music:
Sound was very well done. Played with headphones and it added to the experience. Music was fine, does its job but nothing memorable.

Scares:
I felt the game was rather lacking here. The biggest scares "if you could even call them that", were from very soft jump scares. Where there wasn't a loud sound, but something was suddenly in your face.
The best scares/atmosphere were
the kids room area
and jack hunting you in the beginning of the game. There were also some other nice subtle ones, such as unexpected
enemy introductions. Second form of Margaret being a good example
. Overall was a better attempt than the Revelation games. But I personally don't feel it's a big factor of the game. Though i know that's now the case for a lot of people.

Story:
This is where most of my beef lies. I know a lot of people are gonna go "you play RE for story? And all that". But yes this is an important factor to me for a mainline title. I'm just gonna spoiler tag all of it though. So unless you have beaten the game skip this.
im more or less just gonna start from the beginning.
I felt the beginning was weak. I know a lot of people like it, but it felt way too forced. A lot of it felt way too much like "Look how brutal this is! Isn't this scary?" Also didn't help that they try to force these two characters on who, trying to get a connection. However both are about as interesting as a plank of wood. Mia at least gets a bit more development on the boat with her VHS tape. But it doesn't help her cahacter overall. Ethan fell victim to what I exactly thought he would. He's a mostly silent protagonist with some quips here and there. He's lucky to have found another person as boring as himself with Mia. Neither of these characters can hold a candle to the older cast. Even when just taking the older casts first appearance only. Back to the beginning, I could feel the evil dead influence. But when ethan has a knife go through his hand, or gets his hand cut off and it's only a minor annoyance. I'm taken out of the experience. This is supposed to be our regular joe? A character who's taking damage better than out mainline heroes? Since this is before he even uses any medical liquid.
However once you're at the dinner table, I felt this entire area was the best part of the game, and the most feeling like RE to me. While also being its own thing. Jack just coming around the corner was handled flawlessly, in that situation I felt like a regular joe character. Then the boss fight in the garage was ace as well. That was a great blend of horror and comedy. Then his second boss fight with the chainsaw, while a little wonky. Was still really cool. Pretty much anything Human Jack was A+ gaming.
Margarette however I felt was very uninteresting. Her whole gimmick is bugs, and it makes her section pretty boring. Wasting a flamethrower to kill hives, and her other bugs just had no effect on me. All of her fights I felt weren't handled well. Both the pit and her second forms are fights I have no interest in ever playing again.
Luke I think was interesting enough. I liked how he wanted to play games, though I wasn't a fan of the barn fight setup. But stuff like him setting up traps was fine. Kinda indifferent. But since he lives, he could be put to some good use easily.
Zoe was another case like Ethan and Mia. Which made the choice of serum laughable. "Which character with no devlopment should get this serum?". Hopefully DLC explains more of her. But the game as is doesn't make her more than a prop to advance the story with no redeeming qualities.
Mutated jack was where the game started to fall apart for me. I liked the idea of a BOW that talks and such. But the problem here is that a lot of the monster designs I think are just terrible. This is one of my biggest gripes with the game. Granted this has been a problem with RE for awhile, but in 7 it especially shows. Molded is a cool idea, but when everything is just black masses of varying sizes and postures it's hard to care. Jack especially falls victim just being a large mass of blackness with orange eyes all over him.

As I mentioned above, the boat section however is when the entire game falls apart. Not gameplay wise, but story wise for me. Eveline is just absolutely terrible in every regard. Really dislike how her powers work, and how she affects the story. When ethan is captured and there's a whole cutscenes humanizing the bakers, I could roll my eyes back any further. Yeah we know they were humans once. We didn't need to know, and add ridiculous powers to a character. This was a case where less would have been more. I would have easily preferred just an experiment gone wrong with that family who were unknown test subjects and such. Regardless what I would want. The bakers being humanized and being the victims of more or less mind control from a BOW is a jump the shark moment in my eyes. More so than chris redfield ever punching any boulder. This was also a issue I had with Revelations 2. Where the writing team seems to wants to go past just grotesque monsters. It's just an angle to RE I just absolutely hate. So yeah Evelin, much like Natalia/Alex Wesker in Rev 2 ruined a lot of good will I had towards the games story. This shift to me feels too far removed from RE for me personally. Which overall is a big issue I had with the game. Not counting the gameplay, and factoring only story. The story didn't feel like a RE game to me because of all the eveline stuff."

Overall:
Not a bad game. Gameplay wise I like it more than both Revelations titles which I hold as the lowest titles in the series. However the story and some other factors (none of them being the actual gameplay) hurt it a lot in my eyes from being great. Capcom has the gameplay down especially in the first part of the game.(though I still want my action). But I pray they do a better job with future stories. The story here is more offensive than anything RE5 and 6 brought to the table. Hell it reminds me a lot of MGS4, which was another fine game that had a story that absolutely rubbed me in the wrong way.

Don't be so dramatic.

We have the CGI RE movie with Leon and that ugly looking Chris coming out. We have the RE2 remake on the way and I'm sure we'll get a Revelations 3.

Also, I'll take RE7 any day of the week over the shitty RE spin offs that they've made over the years(Survivor, Gaiden, Operation Racoon City, Umbrella Crops, etc).

Jawmuncher

Don't be so dramatic.

We have the CGI RE movie with Leon and that ugly looking Chris coming out. We have the RE2 remake on the way and I'm sure we'll get a Revelations 3.

Also, I'll take RE7 any day of the week over the shitty RE spin offs that they've made over the years(Survivor, Gaiden, Operation Racoon City, Umbrella Crops, etc).

I know people like me and Strafer don't want Revelations 3. At least not a Revelations 3 that plays like 1 or 2.

RSB

Banned
That's my biggest worry. When people tell me "Oh Revelations 1 and 2 are action games" I die a little in side. Even if you can classify them as such, they don't hold a candle to RE4-6
Yeah, thinking of the Revelations games as an acceptable substitute for proper action RE is silly. Just as silly as the idea that RE7 is a return to classic RE.

I know people like me and Strafer don't want Revelations 3. At least not a Revelations 3 that plays like 1 or 2.

Yea, but there is still the RE2 remake and I doubt they will stop with that...

Like a poster said a few posts up, the Resident Evil franchise is rather diverse. I fully expect them to continue on what they do, which is variety.

Jawmuncher

Yea, but there is still the RE2 remake and I doubt they will stop with that...

Like a poster said a few posts up, the Resident Evil franchise is rather diverse. I fully expect them to continue on what they do, which is variety.

We'll see. I worry only because the last 10 years with action RE, they snubbed horror fans until REmake and 0 rereleased.

Vendetta is by far the biggest piece of hope, just hope stuff like that isn't movie only.
10ovj4q8xhim769iuei.gif

I think they can keep Revelations as the action/horror hybrid, as long as they give it a bigger budget. Doesn't have to be extravagant, but just bigger than before. However, I think they can just use it for new characters and lesser known Resident Evil characters.

I think a new spin off should be made using the RE6 system, that focuses on the classic, well known Resident Evil characters since they are pretty much super heroes at this point. Continue the story of The Family and the mystery of Ada in this series and give it as much attention as the main line games.

Jawmuncher

I think they can keep Revelations as the action/horror hybrid, as long as they give it a bigger budget. Doesn't have to be extravagant, but just bigger than before. However, I think they can just use it for new characters and lesser known Resident Evil characters.

I think a new spin off should be made using the RE6 system, that focuses on the classic, well known Resident Evil characters since they are pretty much super heroes at this point. Continue the story of The Family and the mystery of Ada in this series and give it as much attention as the main line games.

Yeah I personally think they should drop the revelations subtitle. Even if whatever this supposed new subseries is carries story beats from it. To me with Mainline more or less being revelations now, there's no need for revelations as a series anymore. Since it's whole existence was to offer something more for horror fans who didn't like 4-6

Well to me it is.

Again, I didn't grow up with the Resident Evil games like the rest of you.

1-3 & CVX are infinitely playable.

Take 15 minutes to understand the tank controls and you might actually really enjoy the classic RE titles if you've never played them. 1&2 are seriously brilliant games. Some say REmake made the original irrelevant but that's nonsense, they're both worth playing. The first has to be my personal GOAT. I play through it probably once a month or so.

Billy & Rebecca are my Revelations 3 dream team. Or a bad boy team up of Billy and Jake. Too much angst and snark to handle.

I always wanted to see a storyline that had Rebecca be an shadow agent for Umbrella.

18 year old genius, a chemist. I would have loved a twist like that. Would've added so much depth to her character. Add in Wesker being unaware of it too, and that Rebecca is really like a Hunk type agent only more technical in her skills.

It'll never happen.

Jawmuncher

Got the majority of the RE7 achievements since I kept multiple saves. Don't think I'm gonna bother for the speed run, the limited item box & health meds, madhouse and getting all the coins on madhouse.

Think I'll just wait for the DLC.

Problem with spin offs is they tend to be low budget, is no way getting a RE5 quality game as a spin off.

Something's gotta give no matter what they do for the main series. You can't please everyone with this franchise because they always switch it up. They're the reason for the split fanbase. All they did this time was attempt to go back to how things were, but in a way they thought was modern.

I just want good quality games no matter what the direction is.

Jawmuncher

Something's gotta give no matter what they do for the main series. You can't please everyone with this franchise because they always switch it up. They're the reason for the split fanbase. All they did this time was attempt to go back to how things were, but in a way they thought was modern.

I just want good quality games no matter what the direction is.

I mean at the end of it all that's mainly what I want too.
But even then we're all gonna have our preferences

Jawmuncher

I'm one of those people cheering on the turn back to being more of a horror game with some action elements rather than the other way around, but I love the gameplay in all three action RE games.

I'm kinda holding out hope that Capcom'll turn Rev 3 or a new sub-series into a straight action alternative. The half-assed take in the two Rev games really doesn't cut it as an alternative to 4-6.

I'll always prefer the action. But this is more or less what I want. Beating 7, I didn't mind the shift to being more scary or the gameplay taking a step back. My biggest complaint there was just the story. They can keep the main series first person if they want. I'm fine with that gameplay.

But we definitely need the action gameplay to stay alive, much like you said without it being the half ass attempt Rev 1 & 2 had. Considering Revelations style is more or less that main games while also incorporating more of its roots.

It's redundant now to keep Revelations as some half horror/action series now.

Golnei

As much as Revelations 2 made me want the rest of the subseries to just be the continuing misadventures of the Burton family, continuing to use it as a means to highlight the less central protagonists of the series is probably a good idea. Along with Billy, Rebecca, Sheva and Josh; I wouldn't mind them trying to do something with Carlos. Maybe even bring in Manuela or HUNK, in either original flavour or pants-optional mode. As long as they manage the surprising degree of personality and charm that the Revelations 2 leads had.

Personally, I want Billy and Sheva. Billy's team was in Africa when he was framed, so he has a link to the country.

The country of Africa?

I'd like Helena and Sheva. All female buddy cop game.

Sheva's pretty chill, but if I never see Helena again it will still be too soon. Most annoying character in the whole series tbh.

I don't see Billy coming back. He seemed like Steve in that he has minimal connection to the stuff going on.

He'd fit in well with both horror and action styles, he's got a fairly memorable character design, reasonably fleshed out personality and backstory, and fans seem to like him. I could see him coming back for sure, especially if Revelations becomes more about using B string characters that haven't been used as much.

But then again, I would have thought we'd have seen Carlos again by now so what do I know.

zeemumu

He'd fit in well with both horror and action styles, he's got a fairly memorable character design, reasonably fleshed out personality and backstory, and fans seem to like him. I could see him coming back for sure, especially if Revelations becomes more about using B string characters that haven't been used as much.

But then again, I would have thought we'd have seen Carlos again by now so what do I know.

We'll have a spinoff where Carlos, Sheva, and Billy all go on an adventure to stop some side-threat.

They can borrow 7's extra budget.

The side games will do better than they typically do if they retain the action style and co-op.
however Capcom needs to decide to just go all out with them now if 7 is the mainline future.
im talking Chris & Jill, Leon and Chris, Leon and Ada, etc over the top fanservice action games.

Then you really don't need to worry about trying weird cases of Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Corps and such.

This is what i'm hoping. A reduced budget in mainline that can even out the budgets for the spiinoffs.

Yeah, though I don't expect to ever see a RE6 budget again unless maybe the series climax.
Revelations 1 I didn't really feel a budget issue with. It was designed well to hide it imo since it was a handheld game.
Revelations 2 however was a 4,5,6 level game and could definitely feel it trying so hard to break it's budget(my god if it had the budget of 5).

Top Bottom