• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

We really need a game titled "Biohazard: Hunk on a Ship"
It's really funny how often the "resident evil: on a big ship" concept has been used. RE: Gaiden, Dead Aim, Revelations, even RE4 Separate Ways and RE5's ship. Someone high up on the RE team really wants that shit to happen.

Jawmuncher

You know what exactly does CVX offer towards moving the series forward. I feel like the only big thing is wesker. Claire and Chris messing around in Antarctica and it blowing up doesn't really offer much.

I can't recall anything from CVX that's used in later games really.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I think the C-Virus used the T-Veronica (all those insectoid/chrysalid forms), but can't really think of anything else other than adding more faces to the mix in Umbrella's history

You know what exactly does CVX offer towards moving the series forward. I feel like the only big thing is wesker. Claire and Chris messing around in Antarctica and it blowing up doesn't really offer much.

Wesker, the idea of rival organisations, showing to the players Umbrella has more labratories worldwide, some backstory on the founding on Umbrella and how one of its founders died.

T-Veronica got re-used in Darkside Chronicles, but it not like that couldn't have been substituted for some new made up virus with no notable difference.

Closed Claire's weak ass story.

JayEH

LMAO, I've been crushed by rolling boulders twice. Both on no-save attemps

LOL. Exactly the same thing happened to me when I tried to go for that trophy. It also was the first time I died like that (GC version playthroughs included) That felt bad. I didn't try again though, my attempt at the platinum ended right there.

BTW, do you guys think we'll go back to save rooms, magic item boxes, typewriters, limited ink ribbons, etc, in RE7? Personally, I hope so. I want the game to feel as close as possible to classic RE. The change to first person and the Outlast sections will make that difficult, of course, but they could still make it similar enough I think (and hopefully, the Outlast sections will be limited to optional VHS tapes)

the pressure got to us.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It has a bit more importance than not, actually. I might not be 100% correct on some of this stuff, but from my memory...

01.) Wesker is the first big thing, and the one that stands out in memory. He returns from the dead and now has super-powers.

02.) His return also brings in the first mention in the whole series of there being other corporations than Umbrella, which is obviously now a super important part of the series. Until Code Veronica, it had only been said Umbrella is responsible for everything.

03.) And one corporation in general that still remains a mystery, the one Wesker/Ada works for during this point in time that is collecting virus samples is established.

04.) Speaking of which, this whole thing sets up Ada's return as well, her connection to Wesker, and basically completely defines both Wesker and Ada's role in RE4.

05.) Alexander Ashford is established as a character, who does get mentioned from time to time as one of the big guys behind Umbrella, along with Ozwell Spencer & George Trevor. And apparently all three of them hung out for drinks at Ozwell's hidden estate we go to in RE5: Lost in Nightmares.

06.) T-Veronica Virus is established. It's not the first time we've had another virus than T-Virus, but it's the first time we've had a modification of a direct strain of the T-Virus that wasn't an overhaul like the G-Virus, I believe. Also I do recall T-Veronica being cited as part of the creation of the C-Virus in RE6, but I'd have to re-read RE6's files. I believe the T-Veronica foundation was partially responsible for the insect elements of the C-Virus, though.

07.) It establishes Chris' vs Wesker's conflict, which later gets resolved in RE5. It establishes Chris training hard to defeat Wesker. So basically Code Veronica is responsible for Chris becoming a gay gaming icon muscular in RE5, as he gets fixated on training to defeat Wesker.

08.) It plays as the reunion of Chris and Claire, which is what the ending of RE2 (and Claire's ending in RE3) built up towards.

09.) It is the first Resident Evil mainline game (basically first game outside of the original Survivor) which takes place outside of Raccoon City, and is really the first RE game that introduces the globe-trotting element we see later, with a Paris Facility, the off-shore Rockfort Island, and Antarctica. As a result it's also the game that begins to make certain things the series established early in uncanon, like Green Herbs being only native to Raccoon City.

10.) It turned out to be important to spin-offs. Resident Evil Gun Survivor 2 is completely based around Code Veronica, and Darkside Chronicles happens because of the events of Code Veronica and features the T-Veronica virus.

---

That's off the top. It's actually more important to the series story lore than RE3 is actually. The only thing that RE3 serves for the overall narrative of RE is that Jill got infected by the T-Virus, then got the cure to the virus (which is played up in RE5 some), it sets up the U.B.C.S., shows Umbrella was aware of S.T.A.R.S. actions and kills off RE1 survivor Brad, and the rest of the important bits are in those ending images. Also Nikolai is mentioned in Survivor 1. Nemesis is cool, but he actually doesn't serve much of a role in the series lore outside of RE3, as a more controlled Tyrant was already established with Mr. X in RE2, and nothing afterwards really directly references him in the lore, just the idea of him as a stalker antagonist.

Jawmuncher

That's what I get for looking at the story a little more from the outside than digging. Though I think we can all agree Wesker is the biggest piece to that game. Which is funny since he wasn't in the original version of the game. So CVX was really important lore wise.

I can't help but feel like the CV/RE3 thing is a strong case of what I call 'fandom canondom' (probably a more official term of it, but whatever, that's my term) where fans often rationalize something by downplaying what they don't like to a series narrative and justify something they do like to make it seem more important.

A lot of people seemingly hate CV, so they want to downplay its significance. They love RE3, so they try to 'justify' by making it seem more important than it is to the overall narrative.

I don't know why. I guess because the implication of 'side game' makes something seem less important in some people's eyes, or maybe they see that 3 and think that it has to be more important. But being a side game, narrative-wise, doesn't speak at all to the quality of the game. Even TV shows and comic runs have one-off episodes that can be some of the best of the series while simultaneously being totally expandable to the main narrative. Being a 'side game' doesn't make RE3 any less of a great game. And I guess, even though it's technically a side game, CV doesn't become less of a weaker game just because it has so many important elements to the story (which is why I never really questioned reading that it was intended to be the true RE3). RE3 is clearly a better game than CV. It doesn't really matter if it's story is totally expandable to the narrative as a whole.

Zambatoh

Operation Javier sort of doubled as a direct continuation of it, which led Krauser into joining Wesker's fan club.
Though given that Krauser and Manuela have yet to be brought up again in the series, the story just sort of stops at RE4.

Meanwhile, the events of RE3 have a more global impact. Umbrella's lies are more or less exposed, Bio-hazardous weapons are a proven threat, and pretty much every game afterwards is a direct result of the Raccoon story arc.

That's what I get for looking at the story a little more from the outside than digging. Though I think we can all agree Wesker is the biggest piece to that game. Which is funny since he wasn't in the original version of the game. So CVX was really important lore wise.

The original Code Veronica? He was in it. He had far fewer scenes compared to the ReRelease and his fight scene with Alexia was different, but he was still present.

kamineko

That is an interesting distinction: the "classic" games all take place in/near Raccoon City and reveal an aspect of "the incident," with the exception of CVX

EDIT
The original Code Veronica? He was in it. He had far fewer scenes compared to the ReRelease and his fight scene with Alexia was different, but he was still present.

It's hilarious how the confrontation between Wesker and Alexia changes between CV and CVX

Mr_Zombie

Overall, RE3 just shows the bigger picture of events already shown in RE2. While RE2 focuses on Birkins, G-virus and RPD siege, RE3 focuses on the whole city:
- how the apocalypse was slowly building up (the Dead Factory overflowing with contaminated bodies, monsters still lurking in Raccoon Forests; the incident in Birkins' lab just accelerated what was inevitable anyway)
- how the whole city was deep in Umbrella's pockets (basically every major building in the city was funded by or somehow connected to Umbrella)
- how the US government was co-operating with Umbrella (a major plot point in RE6)
- it was also the first game that established that the city was eventually wiped out by the government (RE2 never mentioned that; we just know that Leon, Claire and Sherry escaped and that Birkin's lab was blown out, but Raccoon - while overrun by zombies - was still intact)

While it doesn't move the plot by a lot, it still provides a lot of world building.

Nemesis is cool, but he actually doesn't serve much of a role in the series lore outside of RE3, as a more controlled Tyrant was already established with Mr. X in RE2, and nothing afterwards really directly references him in the lore, just the idea of him as a stalker antagonist.

There was also the Nemesis parasite that Birkin and Wesker tested on Lisa Trevor, which eventually resulted in the start of the G-virus Project.

It's hilarious how the confrontation between Wesker and Alexia changes between CV and CVX

Yep, the bitchslap Wesker receives from Alexia, and the "Such power!" line followed by Wesker running like a little bitch he is was hilarious. And then, in CVX version, they turned him into a badass. :D

Jawmuncher

Operation Javier sort of doubled as a direct continuation of it, which led Krauser into joining Wesker's fan club.
Though given that Krauser and Manuela have yet to be brought up again in the series, the story just sort of stops at RE4.

Meanwhile, the events of RE3 have a more global impact. Umbrella's lies are more or less exposed, Bio-hazardous weapons are a proven threat, and pretty much every game afterwards is a direct result of the Raccoon story arc.

Oh my mistake. I only ever played CVX and not the original Dreamcast version. So I was going off just some haphazard info I recall hearing back in the day.

Bowl0l

Mr_Zombie

There was no Chris vs Wesker fight at the end. Wesker running off before the first Alexia fight was the last time you could see him in the original version. The rest of his story was told through his Battle Mode result screen (Wesker near a submarine) and D.I.J.'s Diary.

Yep, the bitchslap Wesker receives from Alexia, and the "Such power!" line followed by Wesker running like a little bitch he is was hilarious. And then, in CVX version, they turned him into a badass. :D

Everyone forgets the entire ending was changed. Originally Chris blew up Alexia, jumped down the stairs, into a lift and down to the plane.

edit: Haha, you comment on that.

Nemesis_

I keep forgetting this thread exists and it's my favouritest franchise ever.

Replaying RE4 on Xbox One and really enjoying it. I am sure I'm in the minority but after having played it so many times I really really don't like the third act of RE4. It just drags and feels so off compared to the rest of it.

But still a testament to how good it is that so many years on it's so playable.

Overall, RE3 just shows the bigger picture of events already shown in RE2. While RE2 focuses on Birkins, G-virus and RPD siege, RE3 focuses on the whole city:
- how the apocalypse was slowly building up (the Dead Factory overflowing with contaminated bodies, monsters still lurking in Raccoon Forests; the incident in Birkins' lab just accelerated what was inevitable anyway)
- how the whole city was deep in Umbrella's pockets (basically every major building in the city was funded by or somehow connected to Umbrella)
- how the US government was co-operating with Umbrella (a major plot point in RE6)
- it was also the first game that established that the city was eventually wiped out by the government (RE2 never mentioned that; we just know that Leon, Claire and Sherry escaped and that Birkin's lab was blown out, but Raccoon - while overrun by zombies - was still intact)

While it doesn't move the plot by a lot, it still provides a lot of world building.

Great little summary you've done here. Really agree that it helps build the story around the PS1 trilogy up even further.

Jawmuncher

https://youtu.be/39TBUQKCIOs?t=142

Seems they were debating between bitchass Wesker and badass Wesker. Happy they went badass, but I admit that bitchass Wesker I find a bit funny.
The real reason wesker hates Chris so much. For making fun of the tyrant and his plan.

I keep forgetting this thread exists and it's my favouritest franchise ever.

Replaying RE4 on Xbox One and really enjoying it. I am sure I'm in the minority but after having played it so many times I really really don't like the third act of RE4. It just drags and feels so off compared to the rest of it.

But still a testament to how good it is that so many years on it's so playable.
Yeah nowadays most people agree that the island kinda drags a bit. But moments like with the regenerators help it through.

Nemesis_

I am sure this conversation has been had before but I really hope we see some familiar faces with Resident Evil 7. I know that they've kind of hinted that the links could be tenuous, but I would love it so much if Ethan found his wife and we realise it's someone we've met before.

Near the end of Revelations 2. The start was super rough, but it's turned into an enjoyable experience with tons of cheese to go around.

Looking at that graph, it's amazing that RE 4 turned out to be considered one of the best games of all time. According to that, it was rebooted at least five times and the final version barely took a year to make.

Yep. Basically this vs this.

Oh god, that's brilliant! Wesker runs with his tail between his legs with a look on his face that says "I got fucked up! RUN!"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To be honest, my opinion of the Island has stayed about the same since I originally played RE4. The Castle is my personal favorite segment of the game, I could write why that is but another time. The Island is the weakest of the three areas in my opinion, but not by some huge margin and I'd actually say The Island has higher highs than the Village, personally. just a weaker overall average.

While I like most of the scenarios in RE4, there are a few segments I just don't care much for, and most of them are on The Island. Both the Village and Castle had a couple rooms I don't care much for, but don't really dislike either (okay, maybe I don't like Salazar's Statue Room, not just because of the statue, but for some reason I really don't like the hand platforming fighting in that segment at all, but it's brief so it's whatever for me).

The Island has the most areas where I'm like, "Ohhh, this part, ugh." I actually don't mind most of it, but some of it is more dull than anything else in the game in my opinion. To give my personal breakdown...

-I actually like the Island's opening, the part where you walk through some caverns and into an almost guerrilla cliffside establishment and climb it. It throws a lot at you right when you arrive, and I like the sort of feel it gives. From the Gatling enemy that the area opens up with, the small laser puzzle, the climb in caverns with little enemy holding points, the cavern with the weird drawings and spikes, the cliffside enemies throw dynamite at, and the most casual Merchant in the whole game. I think it's a fun opening sequence and I usually have fun in it.

-I actually REALLY like this next part of the Island. It's one of the stretches of the game with infrequent enemies, but stronger ones in a closed-in space so a bit more intimidating, and they have a good mix of kind of comical and yet tense. This is the part that includes the Oven Man scene, the little almost food cellar area with some tables and cabinets to maneuver around as a few enemies fight, the door with enemies throwing dynamite that opens and closes, and this area concludes with meeting the first Regenerator, the optional Freezer pick-up, and I think it's a great climax to what is RE4's closest corridor segment in the game.

-Now it's this next segment that first starts to bother me. Yeah, the part where you pick up enemies like a toy grab machine and drop them in the garbage is a bit of fun (and a nice little consequence the ones you miss come to get you), but the next few rooms I just always don't look forward to going through. you have enemies rushing through doors at you, many have electric weapons to stun you or crossbows or some shit, the sort of annoying (yet usually not that deadly) Plaga 3 forms, the place outside Ashley's cell with a big mob including two armored guys, that for some reason REALLY annoying room with the staircase in it. Now, I actually really like the Iron Maiden encounter you have in the lab area, and the atmosphere of the communication tower is pretty nice and a change of pace in how quiet it is. But then you have to backtrack BACK through the rooms you just came through with even more enemies ambushing you... That bit is a bit too much for me. And then you get Ashley back, and you have to take care of enemies bum-rushing you in kind of closed-in spots while also protecting her, and that one room right before you get to the garbage chute where there's like two enemy spawn points so you have to fight two little hordes in a small room that come at you with stun rods... Not fun.

-Now, the next area is okay. It's the area with the dumpster and Iron Maidens, followed by the wrecking ball room, followed by kind of silent hallway with side rooms and Regenerators that can open doors. The Regenerator Hallway is my favorite, but the Iron Maiden dumpster area can be pretty tense, and the Wrecking Ball room can have its challenges but I like the dynamic and how you can either have Ashley or yourself handle the wrecking ball. Nice little section.

-Theeeen we get to the truck segment. I just don't like this part at all really. It's kind of silly, but I don't like how instant-gameover some of the parts are and the whole sequence doesn't really feel thrilling, just kind of ammo and health consuming.

-Next bit they cut down on enemies and we get a few more cinematic moments. Lose Ashley, have the famous QTE scene with Krauser, a couple little areas with only a handful of enemies but in tricky placements, then the Laser Hallway and Saddler's throne room you can sit in. I think it's one of the cheesiest chapters in RE4 but enjoy it for all of its cinematic QTE'ness, honestly.

-I really like the encounter with 'IT' actually, and the sort of atmospheric halls before and after it.

-I actually really like both the enemy campsite you get to eagle-eye before you go in it, and the following Krauser fight. Both are quite enjoyable.

-Then comes my personal least favorite stretch of RE4, the goddamn helicopter scene. Mike is humorous as a character, but I just never look forward to playing this scene. Have to watch out for Mike's bullets, enemies everywhere, kind of cumbersome design, and throwing gatling gun guys in open arenas, as well as pressing switches and waiting for Mike to blow shit up which makes it sometimes more of a patience game. My absolute least favorite bit of the game.

-The Bag and the Prison where you hear a Regenerator but don't know where it is immediately is actually one of the most horror-y things in all of RE4 and just feels strange to how dark that single corridor is and its design feels different from the rest of the game to actually give me a sort of claustrophobic feeling, so of course I like it.

-The final big enemy fight where the enemy runs off with the keycard is alright. I find it fun, but it's not a favorite encounter either.

-Likewise, the scene where you get Ashley again, a few big armored guys come at you, and you get the plaga removed and Saddler attacks in a cutscene but Ada guns him down. Feel pretty indifferent towards this area.

-I like the finale, the Saddler final boss isn't the series best final boss, but it's fun. I actually like the dorky escape sequence and the jetski it mostly revolves around.

---

Basically my opinion on the island, I think the problem is that while there's a few really good segments in it I like a lot, it also hosts my three least favorite segments in the game (Helicopter scene, truck sequence, before garbage chute enemy mobs in small rooms segment you also have to backtrack through), and a few rooms I think are just alright or indifferent towards, which is not true for me towards the Village or Castle. My opinion, of course.

Near the end of Revelations 2. The start was super rough, but it's turned into an enjoyable experience with tons of cheese to go around.

Looking at that graph, it's amazing that RE 4 turned out to be considered one of the best games of all time. According to that, it was rebooted at least five times and the final version barely took a year to make.

Oh god, that's brilliant! Wesker runs with his tail between his legs with a look on his face that says "I got fucked up! RUN!"

Seems you may have part of my opinion of revelations 2, the first episode I wasn't completely sold on but was alright, but I think it got better as each episode went on. That's just my opinion. I also like the finale of Revelations 2 quite a bit, personally.

RE4's development will always be interesting to me. I don't think they literally made all of RE4 in a short period of time, they obviously use a lot of the groundwork they had from the other versions. But yes, to design all of RE4 with what they had and really cram in making it from all they learned from the various versions in 1 and half years or so is impressive.

Jawmuncher

I just like the island because it sets up the game into army man vs bad guys for the most part. I really prefer that location and look to the village and castle. The whole island section is like a sci-fi action movie to me.

Junahu

I always felt it was odd having the Island only occupy chapter 5, when it's a full third of the game content-wise. I don't consider it a slog, but I do get frustrated with how the chapter pacing was handled.
A couple of extra "end of chapter" screens would have gone a long way. Or maybe they should have split the whole thing into two full chapters, rather than just endlessly extending the one chapter out.

strafer

the one thing i dug about resident evil 4 though was the upgrade system...something to look forward to and the chicago typewriter was cool.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 lacked that.

Jawmuncher

the one thing i dug about resident evil 4 though was the upgrade system...something to look forward to and the chicago typewriter was cool.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 lacked that.

I will say the whole skill system in general was a bad idea for RE6. They really shouldn't have bothered with that.

kamineko

Skill system was definitely a mistake. Upgrading weapons (and unlocking other weapons) was such a satisfying loop.

Upgrading guns led to more replays for me, trying to max out everything

kamineko

I'm open to a parts-based upgrade system, but the implementation hasn't been great. I don't think I even used all the upgrades I found in the campaign

Raid mode is a whole other level of parts bullshit. Slog through all of code red just to find weak guns, maybe a couple of shit-tier damage mods to glue together, and garbage like scatter. It just doesn't feel worthwhile IMO

JayEH

I thought skills were awesome but I did miss upgrading weapons but then again most of your damage comes from melee instead of guns in that game.

Okay, that ending had me grinning ear to ear and laughing. "Fucking technology... Yeah, fuck it right up the ass!", Claire coming back with a helicopter and sniper, Barry walking into the camera in slow mo as the sun bathes him in light, "I'll always need you... but for now, I have THIS *Brandishes hand cannon*, "She-Wesker!", "Over see this, Bitch!", Slow-mo blowing up Wesker with a rocket, I could go on. And then the cliff-hanger. Capcom better not drop this!

Jawmuncher

Okay, that ending had me grinning ear to ear and laughing. "Fucking technology... Yeah, fuck it right up the ass!", Claire coming back with a helicopter and sniper, Barry walking into the camera in slow mo as the sun bathes him in light, "I'll always need you... but for now, I have THIS *Brandishes hand cannon*, "She-Wesker!", "Over see this, Bitch!", Slow-mo blowing up Wesker with a rocket, I could go on. And then the cliff-hanger. Capcom better not drop this!

They can drop that gameplay though. Give us rev 3 that plays like RE6

They can drop that gameplay though. Give us rev 3 that plays like RE6

Yeah. Outside of Raid Mode, the combat was probably the worst part of the experience. Camp, Atmosphere, and Environmental exploration were what carried the game. The Skill system, crafting, customization features (Raid Mode actually made this interesting since you actually got numerous types), and enemy types (there were, what, six total types) were also extremely barren in the campaign. Just rip the battle system straight from RE 6.

Jawmuncher

I'm ready for RE7
img_20160831_162915psqkr.jpg

Kinda wish I had the shirt from E3 bit that's too expensive. But knowing that the dev team actually bought this shirt after the demo reactions evens it out.

Jawmuncher

...You bought two copies of each?

the thread title is specifically referring to JM and DG

that shirt is brilliant, transcendent even

I go in when it comes to RE. Only time I back away is when there's some crazy expensive import CEs or collectors jacket. I think CVXfreak bought the Leon official jacket that was like 1000+. Most I've done is import the EU RE6 collectors for like 200ish if I recall. Might have been a bit less.

Yeah I like the shirt since it's not in your face of what it is design wise.

kamineko

I totally get it. I had to walk away from a house full of stuff four years ago, so I've grown a little averse to collecting stuff.

But for RE7, I'm sure I'll pick up at least two editions

Jawmuncher

I totally get it. I had to walk away from a house full of stuff four years ago, so I've grown a little averse to collecting stuff.

But for RE7, I'm sure I'll pick up at least two editions

I'm really hoping that they announce all of them at TGS. Also hope that Capcom US doesn't give us a lame CE. It's sad when their best CE from last gen was ORC. Thanks to its simplicity.

The RE6 collectors were a nice idea, but most fans already had all those games. Also they were very unfair depending on the platform. Then RE6 was just a bunch of worthless shit and the steel book didn't have a sleeve.

Top Bottom