• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

It really is ironic, but Code Veronica is definitely the RE game that has aged the worst. 'Aging' can be a hard thing to define, but in Code Veronica's case, while it was graphically impressive for the time it hasn't kept up to even the pre-rendered backgrounds of RE2/RE3, and the lack of it being shiny new highlights that the all-3D direction hit RE's charming art style. Worse, it has some of the most annoying enemies in the series (Bandersnatch's can go fuck themselves, and with the increased insect enemy variety comes increased poison enemies, among other things), the puzzles feel worse and just not fun than about every other RE game, and the backtracking in it is the worst due to the great lengths they make you backtrack, and how often you do; you have to go to completely different ends of facilities that are actually rather spacious and filled with dangers.

I don't have anything against Steve, because he's hilarious.

It's a shame since Code Veronica has some definite good parts. I think some of the locations are actually pretty cool, the island prison, the Ashford private residence, the underwater cavern accessed by submarine, an arctic facility, and even the callback recreation manor... But their presentation lets them down. I actually think Code Veronica's soundtrack is up there as one of the best in the series. There's some story beats and scenes I like a lot personally, and the three main villains (Alexander, Alexia, and their father) are all memorable and interesting villains that fit the series as the quirky twisted sort which suites the franchise well. While people blame it as the entry that starts making the series 'go off the rails', I think having Wesker return as his pseudo Matrix rip-off self and play as a villainous side character is an interesting role and idea. There's a few pretty good gameplay moments and parts where things together here and there, I remember some scenes pretty fondly.

But it is definitely the RE game that could work best with a full-on remake. There's a lot of potential for there to be a great game there, but I think they didn't get the execution right. The locations are never as interesting as they should be, the pacing is the worst in the whole series, there's just a lot they missed the mark on.

---

Zero in comparison since it's often put against Code Veronica maybe doesn't have some of the highs that it has, but it's a lot more consistent, and hasn't aged that badly. Environments are gorgeous, I do like Zero's puzzles, and though there's a few kind of shitty/dull parts, I think it's paced a lot better, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Zero actually has better enemies than Code Veronica. Code Veronica has a lot of interesting monster ideas, but I never felt their execution was ever really on the mark and made most of the fights more of a chore than not. Zero may have 'simple' enemies, but they're a lot more fun to fight, do feel more natural, and at least aren't spammed like they are sometimes in Code Veronica.

Also, Code Veronica has the worst 'extra mode' and unlockables in the whole series.

I can't help but think the reason they haven't taken their port of Code Veronica on PS3/360 and put it on current platforms/Steam yet is because they want to do something more extensive with the game eventually, but to be seen.

I think youre right, seems capcom just wants to put the new stuff on steam and such. We probably just lucked out even getting cvx hd. Was probably only done so they had more to offer than just RE4. Since that was one shitty anniversary year.

Right now 3&CVX are the only older games that need a remake which are mainline. I could imagine that they already have plans for them right after RE2make

RSB

Banned
I think youre right, seems capcom just wants to put the new stuff on steam and such. We probably just lucked out even getting cvx hd. Was probably only done so they had more to offer than just RE4. Since that was one shitty anniversary year.

Right now 3&CVX are the only older games that need a remake which are mainline. I could imagine that they already have plans for them right after RE2make
I don't care much about CV, but a RE3 Remake would be awesome. Hopefully RE2 Remake will be successful enough to convince Capcom to do it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I don't care much about CV, but a RE3 Remake would be awesome. Hopefully RE2 Remake will be successful enough to convince Capcom to do it.

I am pretty sure if REmake 2 is a success, they'll do RE3. I think outside of it being for fan requests, part of their goal is to make a version of every mainline RE game that can be ported to future platforms more easily so they can re-release forever. I'm for it, preservation is important I can't say no to them taking the time to bring every main RE game to Steam. But there's no doubt in my mind them greenlighting REmake 2 was partially out of fan request over the years, partially out of the success of REmake HD Remaster, and partially out of their effort to make entries of every main RE game they can port and re-release in the future for profits over time and to let every entry in the series be available for anyone to get into. I feel they have a remake of RE3 in their thoughts, but will base it on how REmake 2 does.

Code Veronica isn't as beloved as RE2 or RE3, but its arguably the game that needs a remake the most. If they were willing to do a whole revision, the potential is there to make Code Veronica a legitimately great game. Code Veronica's problem I don't think was its concept, but rather its execution. That could potentially be said for a lot of projects I know, but I just mean if they stuck to the basic framework of Code Veronica but reworked encounters, art direction, and basically give it the revised from the ground up approach they did with REmake, that idea holds a lot of promise.

I am curious if REmake 2 does well and if these hypothetical potential remakes of the other main RE games all did well, what might they do? Like would they attempt to make a spin-off RE game with fixed camera angles? No idea, but interesting to think about.

At this rate, Capcom is really setting themselves up for potentially making the Resident Evil series a spin-off power-house if they ever decided to go that direction. I guess they might if it seemed profitable. They've certainly been trying to make RE spin-offs over the series course and find out what works in that field.

---

I'm also going to throw out there it's probably a wise move that they're releasing the final live-action Resident Evil movie, the third CG Resident Evil film, and Resident Evil 7 all in the same week, just a few days apart. If they include a demo of REmake 2 with RE7 like might have been suggested in Beginning Hour, and maybe even if they announced word of the RE TV series they said they'd talk more about close to the release of the final RE film, all in the same week, they might be able to really get the RE name out there all at once which could help push their sales, especially if RE7 turns out to be a really good game. If they're really taking this route (and we already have 3/5 things confirmed, two others with a bit more substance behind them than just rumors) it has potential to work and sell the 4 million copies of RE7 they want to push. To be seen though, this potential marketing plan would fall apart obviously if Resident Evil 7 ends up not scoring too hot with people... Or maybe it would sell well anyways, as RE6 didn't review great and still sold over 4 million copies and people keep watching the RE movies despite terrible reviews.

So after some trial-and-error stuff, I think I'll restart REmake and make better choices. I should be more selective of the items I pick up, and what I leave to grab later. The shotgun shells in the cemetery, for example. I've put myself in a position where I don't have space to combine herbs or grab the all-important key I need (which, apparently grabbing it will cause death).

Also, I'm thinking of doing a RTTP for RE5 since I'm revisiting it on PS4 with the same friend I played through it with 6 years ago on PS3.

Dusk Golem

So after some trial-and-error stuff, I think I'll restart REmake and make better choices. I should be more selective of the items I pick up, and what I leave to grab later. The shotgun shells in the cemetery, for example. I've put myself in a position where I don't have space to combine herbs or grab the all-important key I need (which, apparently grabbing it will cause death).

Also, I'm thinking of doing a RTTP for RE5 since I'm revisiting it on PS4 with the same friend I played through it with 6 years ago on PS3.

Sometimes in these survival-horror games, there's no shame in a restart. A good reminder to sometimes rotate saves, however.

I say go for it, can always do with some more people being back-and-forth on RE5.

Sometimes in these survival-horror games, there's no shame in a restart. A good reminder to sometimes rotate saves, however.

I say go for it, can always do with some more people being back-and-forth on RE5.

Well I was going to give it the title: RTTP: Resident Evil 5 - The GOAT 2 player co-op

Or something like that. ;)

Because it really is the best modern 2 player co-op game I have ever played, and probably the best in existence. I mean, show me a better 2 player co-op game where every aspect of it is designed with two players in mind, from the story and main characters, to the level design, inventory management, and various game mechanics, with all of it coming together so damn well.

It's pure bliss for co-op.

Why does this require a restart and not just put something in the item box?

Jawmuncher

I am pretty sure if REmake 2 is a success, they'll do RE3. I think outside of it being for fan requests, part of their goal is to make a version of every mainline RE game that can be ported to future platforms more easily so they can re-release forever. I'm for it, preservation is important I can't say no to them taking the time to bring every main RE game to Steam. But there's no doubt in my mind them greenlighting REmake 2 was partially out of fan request over the years, partially out of the success of REmake HD Remaster, and partially out of their effort to make entries of every main RE game they can port and re-release in the future for profits over time and to let every entry in the series be available for anyone to get into. I feel they have a remake of RE3 in their thoughts, but will base it on how REmake 2 does.

Code Veronica isn't as beloved as RE2 or RE3, but its arguably the game that needs a remake the most. If they were willing to do a whole revision, the potential is there to make Code Veronica a legitimately great game. Code Veronica's problem I don't think was its concept, but rather its execution. That could potentially be said for a lot of projects I know, but I just mean if they stuck to the basic framework of Code Veronica but reworked encounters, art direction, and basically give it the revised from the ground up approach they did with REmake, that idea holds a lot of promise.

I am curious if REmake 2 does well and if these hypothetical potential remakes of the other main RE games all did well, what might they do? Like would they attempt to make a spin-off RE game with fixed camera angles? No idea, but interesting to think about.

At this rate, Capcom is really setting themselves up for potentially making the Resident Evil series a spin-off power-house if they ever decided to go that direction. I guess they might if it seemed profitable. They've certainly been trying to make RE spin-offs over the series course and find out what works in that field.

---

I'm also going to throw out there it's probably a wise move that they're releasing the final live-action Resident Evil movie, the third CG Resident Evil film, and Resident Evil 7 all in the same week, just a few days apart. If they include a demo of REmake 2 with RE7 like might have been suggested in Beginning Hour, and maybe even if they announced word of the RE TV series they said they'd talk more about close to the release of the final RE film, all in the same week, they might be able to really get the RE name out there all at once which could help push their sales, especially if RE7 turns out to be a really good game. If they're really taking this route (and we already have 3/5 things confirmed, two others with a bit more substance behind them than just rumors) it has potential to work and sell the 4 million copies of RE7 they want to push. To be seen though, this potential marketing plan would fall apart obviously if Resident Evil 7 ends up not scoring too hot with people... Or maybe it would sell well anyways, as RE6 didn't review great and still sold over 4 million copies and people keep watching the RE movies despite terrible reviews.

Yeah that week is gonna be crazy for RE games. I wouldn't be surprised if along with that TV show, they announce something else during that time frame too. Not to mention I bet the RE movie will have a trailer for RE7. Since capcom has done theater stuff in the past.

Jawmuncher

Geez forgot how bad the ending to CVX was handled.

"WE GOTTA STOP UMBRELLA ONCE AND FOR ALL"

Failing stock prices ending up doing umbrella in and they half assed took care of the last bits in Russia through umbrella chronicles.

Like if capcom REALLY wanted to, they could probably have a prequel action series and just retcon the umbrella chronicles stuff. Theres a pretty decent gap there anyway.

Edit: Just the first episode, lol.

Failing stock prices ending up doing umbrella in and they half assed took care of the last bits in Russia through umbrella chronicles.

Like if capcom REALLY wanted to, they could probably have a prequel action series and just retcon the umbrella chronicles stuff. Theres a pretty decent gap there anyway.

They'd have to retcon the beginning of 4, which they wouldn't do.

Jawmuncher

Is there some kind of special going on? Why is Resident Evil Revelations 2 free on Xbox live?

They'd have to retcon the beginning of 4, which they wouldn't do.

Nah they wouldn't really. They could just give a better understanding how that is what ultimately made them crash. But before all of that there were numerous missions and such against them.

Mr_Zombie

JESUS! That area that looks like an 8 with all the cultists that are waiting for you was intense! Almost ran out of both Rufle and Shotgun ammo. And then the relief I felt when I realized the next room was a merchant room when I saw the blue flame. Usually by the 7 hour mark you can see the designers run out of steam but not here!

And the best thing is, even though the game constantly surprises you with something new - either through enemies design, scenarios you are put in, combat design, set pieces - it never* abandons its core mechanics like RE6 did. No matter the moment, you can still tell it's the same game with consistent gameplay design.

apart from one segment at the end of the game, but that's like few minutes of gameplay just before the ending cut-scene

Nah. As much as I wanted that scenario before RE4, I think the way it was eventually done - through failing stock prices and public learning about Umbrella's wrongdoing - was much more interesting and realistic (for the lack of better word) than a bunch of soldier going in and... What? Destroying Umbrella's main lab? Killing Umbrella's CEO? There's no way they could "stop Umbrella once and for all" by simply sending a special team somewhere where they do something that could be easily translated to a game.

Jawmuncher

And the best thing is, even though the game constantly surprises you with something new - either through enemies design, scenarios you are put in, combat design, set pieces - it never* abandons its core mechanics like RE6 did. No matter the moment, you can still tell it's the same game with consistent gameplay design.

apart from one segment at the end of the game, but that's like few minutes of gameplay just before the ending cut-scene

Nah. As much as I wanted that scenario before RE4, I think the way it was eventually done - through failing stock prices and public learning about Umbrella's wrongdoing - was much more interesting and realistic (for the lack of better word) than a bunch of soldier going in and... What? Destroying Umbrella's main lab? Killing Umbrella's CEO? There's no way they could "stop Umbrella once and for all" by simply sending a special team somewhere where they do something that could be easily translated to a game.

That was perhaps more interesting sure, but they hardly showed it outside Outbreak which is another issue altogether.

RSB

Banned
So true. The gameplay mechanics are amazing, but instead designing scenarios where you can use and experiment with those mechanics, the game just keeps interrupting you every 5 minutes with some new awful gimmick. I still love RE6 despite everything, but damn, if the level design was more in the style of RE4 it could've been the best action game ever.

Okay, seriously, what was the budget for Revelations 2? A gift card for the local McDonalds? This honestly looks worse than Revelations 1 which was a port from the 3DS, is less pleasing from an art design direction than any of the games I've played so far in the series, the character models look really weird in an uncanny valley sorta way (especially the prerendered cutscenes), and there seems to be so many perfunctory systems (why am I upgrading a skill tree? What was wrong with the old upgrade system? And so on). And the enemy design! I AM FIGHTING SCORPION SPIDERS AS A LEGIT ENEMY!

The best part of this game is the utterly camp localization. "Because 'Terr'... doesn't have to end with 'rist'", "Moist barrel of fuck", "Granny swears", "Is there no little girl on the planet who will listen to me?", "I was almost a Claire sandwich... God, does Barry tell everyone that story?", and "She's not a horse!"

And I can't praise it enough for that. If only RE 6 had the confidence in its mechanics to not throw bullshit at you every five minutes rather than taking advantage of the robust combat system.

Jawmuncher

This is why I don't have faith in a theoretical rev3. I don't want any more happy meals.

Yep. The budget of Rev 2 just bothers me so much. Which is so odd since usually I can look past stuff like that. But for Rev 2 it just really sticks out and to me takes me out of the experience.

This is why I don't have faith in a theoretical rev3. I don't want any more happy meals.

Thing is: Revelations 1 wasn't a full entree, but it was still a value meal. They were really onto something, it just lacked the production values and scope of a larger budget. Revelations 2 is a happy meal with the patty half cooked and the cheese kinda stale. By the end of Episode 1 I was like "That's it? No really, That's it?" It's unpolished, the character models look weird, the levels are bland and uninteresting, the textures are pretty bad, and while there are some good gameplay ideas none of it is the least bit fleshed out. Like, what happened?

I loved Revelations 2, it might honestly be my favorite RE game since RE4. I also think CV is clearly a better game than Zero, easily so.

*Shrug*

Dusk Golem

I'm in audience liked Revelations 2 a lot too, but you'll find I'm one of the most tolerant people to low budget things. Probably since I jump between playing modern games and low-budget games from the 1990s all the time, so it doesn't even phase me anymore.

But I actually liked Revelations 2 a lot for a number of reasons. Given I only thought episode 1 was okay when I first played it (but did think it held more promise from the forest area in Barry's first episode), and then liked episode 2 a lot and was sold, and liked it more as each episode passed.

Jawmuncher

I'm in audience liked Revelations 2 a lot too, but you'll find I'm one of the most tolerant people to low budget things. Probably since I jump between playing modern games and low-budget games from the 1990s all the time, so it doesn't even phase me anymore.

Revelations 2 is one of the few times where a budget has bothered me. I think it's just because I expect more out of RE for what is essentially a mainline title.
I also think the other issue was getting RE6 in 2012 and then nothing new until Revelations 2. So that being the game to bring it back during a dormancy was even more odd with that kind of budget.
But at least it makes sense now.

RE6 comes out
RE7 is in dev and get scrapped and started over to what we are getting now.
Ports and Rev 2 to fill in the time during all of that.

Jawmuncher

Rev 2 was amazing. Didn't think I would like it as much as I did.

I want to see more Moira.

Moira, Barry, and Claire are easily the highlights. However I feel like natalia and
Alex
are just handled odd. Made such a big deal about there being
another wesker
and now we gotta wait who knows how long to see what they do with
their crazy idea of mind transferring and what not.
That stuff didn't help matters. I know RE does some crazy stuff, but that to me has been the craziest bit so far.

But I actually liked Revelations 2 a lot for a number of reasons. Given I only thought episode 1 was okay when I first played it (but did think it held more promise from the forest area in Barry's first episode), and then liked episode 2 a lot and was sold, and liked it more as each episode passed.

I'm usually fine with low budget games. Revelations 2 episode 1 was just underwhelming from all aspects. Hopefully episode 2 catches me.

Jawmuncher

I'm usually fine with low budget games. Revelations 2 episode 1 was just underwhelming from all aspects. Hopefully episode 2 catches me.

The game definitely has it's moments. But if the budget bothered you now, it's gonna bother you all the way to the end. Not enough that you can't beat the game or anything. But enough that even by the end it'll be in the back of your head.

Why does this require a restart and not just put something in the item box?

I...didn't know there was an item box. And...I don't think I've found it yet?

Too late. I restarted. But no biggie because I can do everything in the first bit in no time flat.

I also wanted to lower the difficulty.

Jawmuncher

Too late. I restarted. But no biggie because I can do everything in the first bit in no time flat.

9/10 times the item box is by the type writer.

Jawmuncher

New tidbits on RE7, mainly how they did their 3D modelling, which is an unusual method: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270590

Ok so if we want to piece stuff together just because
This could be the girl getting chased in the lantern trailer
img-2504_342t.1280.jpg

BSAA or National Guard or some army type show up in the game at some point
img-2496_k5vk.1280.jpg

One of these could be Ethan, but I want to bank on rather that these are people that show up in the VHS. I know we're supposed to be playing an everyman. But None of these look like they would fit in with the series character design for main leads. Though if one of them were I would say the second character.
img-2490_9n2f.1280.jpg

img-2498_nf57.1280.jpg

img-2501_d1r3.1280.jpg

We're probably going to get some videos that show the bakers descent into madness and when they looked more normal.
img-2605_dujs.1280.jpg

I'm adjusting my expectations to see if that helps. I get to play as Claire and Barry and Moira seems pretty cool. And Raid mode is always fun. How bad could it be?

New tidbits on RE7, mainly how they did their 3D modelling, which is an unusual method: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270590

They keep talking about how they're "streamlining development" and finding "Low cost, high quality" methods and yet they've never been more conservative when it comes to their budgets and the games they are putting out. So I hope this is a break for them development wise.

Jawmuncher

I do feel like the main character would have more of an iconic design though. Just in the sense that even outbreak which was regular Joe's, all had an iconic look going for them. Nothing up there really fits into that, and I would think that they'd offer someone who also sticks out from the rest of the cast.

Voliko

Can someone tell me why everyone loves RE2? I've played every classic style RE over the past year sans the original (REmake, 2, 3, Zero, and Veronica X) and to me RE2 is only better than Veronica X. It was the least memorable to me and I hardly remember anything about it besides walking in many straight lines in drab warehouse/factory type scenery.

Revelations 2 is one of the few times where a budget has bothered me. I think it's just because I expect more out of RE for what is essentially a mainline title.
I also think the other issue was getting RE6 in 2012 and then nothing new until Revelations 2. So that being the game to bring it back during a dormancy was even more odd with that kind of budget.
But at least it makes sense now.

RE6 comes out
RE7 is in dev and get scrapped and started over to what we are getting now.
Ports and Rev 2 to fill in the time during all of that.

Revelations 2 wasn't a mainline title.

I loved Revelations 2, it might honestly be my favorite RE game since RE4. I also think CV is clearly a better game than Zero, easily so.

*Shrug*

Completely agree, I loved both Rev 2 and CV. I liked Zero too but I prefer CV for several reasons, the primary one being the villains are actually interesting. Zero's main villain was so dumb.

Also, I was too busy fanboying about Claire being back in Rev 2 (and Moira being awesome) to care about the low budget. lol. The way I see it, the low budget is the only reason the game was able to exist in the first place. I'd rather have a low-budget yet fun game, than none at all.

Rev 2 was also just plain FUN. That's ultimately what matters to me. The game was at least priced very affordably, so I felt like I got my money's worth, even with the low-res textures everywhere.

Seriously didn't know? The mansion has two
three but nevermind the third
, one in east wing and one west wing, all boxes in the game are connected, so put an item in one and pull it out another.

Golnei

This guy is the only one I have a problem with, I really hope he's not the lead. Simultaneously kind of uncanny and completely boring. I guess being in first person would be a good thing if that's the case.

Jawmuncher

Revelations 2 wasn't a mainline title.

That's why I said essentially. We had that big gap after RE6 and Rev 1, 2, & CVX while not numbered are part of the main story. I mean I suppose everything is outside gaidn and orc. But those titles more so.

So I think it isn't too unfair to be more expecting of Rev 2 at the time when there had been no new RE for like 2 years and some more

Jawmuncher

This guy is the only one I have a problem with, I really hope he's not the lead. Simultaneously kind of uncanny and completely boring. I guess being in first person would be a good thing if that's the case.

Both that guy and the one with the jacket who look different definitely look boring.t he other guy doesn't look like a main character but does at least stand out.
Meh, those characters look super generic and boring (kinda like everything else they've shown so far) They don't look like they belong in the same universe as every other RE character, that's for sure.

This is something I've been talking about since the reveal. You know those fan pics where they paste like every character from the series? ATM RE7 is the first title where if you started pasting that stuff in would look out of place atm. Even Outbreaks regular Joe's have this special look about them. We'll just have to wait and see. I want to say none of those are Ethan. But the girl I have a feeling is the one from the lantern video.

Top Bottom