• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Ah, thanks.

It's taking some getting used to since this games is almost the complete opposite design wise from RE 5/6 and Rev 1/2 and even RE 4 to an extent. However I'm already completely sold on the atmosphere they're going for.

Are dead playthroughs a common occurrence in REmake? I feel like I'm doing something wrong in that I'm already out of bullets and can't kill the second zombie :(. Is running away something that is allowed? Does it hinder progress?

You're actually supposed to run away whenever it's reasonably possible in REmake.

In later games you could often get away with mowing everything down, but not here.

edit: beaten

First time playing REmake or even a classic Resident Evil.

I died on the first zombie. Twice.

"Tank controls" aren't a misnomer. Jill controls like a literal tank and unlike in RE 4 or after, you can't quick turn.

This is going to be interesting.

If you aren't, try using the D-Pad instead of the analog stick. I've always found it way easier that way.

Also, pretty sure you can quick turn in REMake? That was started in RE3, I think.

You say old games bosses weren't very varied mechanically, yet RE4 is the same, you just point and shoot and it's only the way you dodge or do special attacks, both via QTEs that really makes any one different from another.

They all just running for distance and then standing to shoot until they near again.

El Gigante fr example - Just run/shooting until you get prompted for QTE with knife. Others you might QTE dodge too or instead.

The only really different one is Del Lago with the throwing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You say old games bosses weren't very varied mechanically, yet RE4 is the same, you just point and shoot and it's only the way you dodge or do special attacks, both via QTEs that really makes any one different from another.

They all just running for distance and then standing to shoot until they near again.

El Gigante fr example - Just run/shooting until you get prompted for QTE with knife. Others you might QTE dodge too or instead.

The only really different one is Del Lago with the throwing.

I disagree with the assessment. Well, firstly I didn't agree with the original point the classic RE bosses didn't have any differences between them (as they did). But there is definitely a few fundamental differences between RE4 and the RE before that bosses:

01.) Weakpoints. In the old RE game due to aiming restraints, the weakpoints of enemies were downplayed immensely to make use of the games natural controls and auto-lock.

02.) Weapons. In the classic RE games, your arsenal was a lot more limited, which is a big point of the games. In RE4 you have a bigger selection of weapons with different pros and cons against different enemies, and those weapons have upgradable stats each. But upgrading weapons will take money from other potential items/upgrades.

03.) More varied behaviors. This is actually the fundamental point I want to make, but in the older RE's the bosses behaviors were a lot more limited. I won't say they were they were all the same, because they weren't. But the bosses in older RE games always would have a consistent exclusive to themselves that they would do, and many of them were to approach you. In RE4, bosses are programmed to dynamically respond to your positioning in an arena more and change their behavoir based on that.

There's some other minor differences, but I think that covers it. GIVEN, I didn't agree with the original argument you're arguing against in the first place.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of bosses, which of them have a one hit kill. That's about the most bullshit design ever. I know Alexia in the stair case does.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away now. I never said classic RE bosses were all the same. BUT I don't think it can be overstated how much the act of switching automated shooting to free aim TPS changed the combat in RE4, adding mechanical depth to it. I mean, it would have to considering combat changed from being a resource management/navigational hazard, to being the core object of ever level. Like Dusk said it allows for a lot more boss behaviors, more weakpoint stuff to play around with, it allows for a lot more vertivality and more interesting boss movements, and you can interact with the environment a lot more, the levels could be a lot bigger, and yeah, there are QTE's to add to the mix as well.

Speaking of bosses, which of them have a one hit kill. That's about the most bullshit design ever. I know Alexia in the stair case does.

Lisa
and the T-002 in REmake have OHK attacks.

Ndesu,
Irving
, U-8, Uroboros Aheri, and
both Wesker
forms in RE5.

Did the Tyrant battle in CV have a OHK attack? Haven't played it since both Dreamcast and PS2 releases.

Jawmuncher

Lisa
and the T-002 in REmake have OHK attacks.

Ndesu,
Irving
, U-8, Uroboros Aheri, and
both Wesker
forms in RE5.

Did the Tyrant battle in CV have a OHK attack? Haven't played it since both Dreamcast and PS2 releases.

Can't recall but he might have.

Jawmuncher

So I was trying out my gamecube RE2 and RE3 copies on Dolphin. Gotta say RE3 still looks good so long as it's not stretched and set at 720P. RE2 on the other hand you can tell the backgrounds weren't done as high, they really stand out with their quality these days. However the 3D models of course still look fine.

Unsure if I will commit right not to replaying these or not.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'd be really amused if Ethan in RE7 is the relative of some obscure RE character; ie., he ends up being Mike from RE4's brother or something.

strafer

Here some fun trivia for you.

I watched the new Kickboxer movie today and there's a guy in that movie named T.J Storm and who I didn't know voiced Josh in Resident Evil 5.

TYwX20W.jpg

Jawmuncher

I'd be really amused if Ethan in RE7 is the relative of some obscure RE character; ie., he ends up being Mike from RE4's brother or something.

I feel like he won't have a big connection like being Leon or Chris related for example. But I think his connection will be a big deal to long time fans. What that would entail i don't know. But I don't see them going too obscure.

I feel like he won't have a big connection like being Leon or Chris related for example. But I think his connection will be a big deal to long time fans. What that would entail i don't know. But I don't see them going too obscure.

So long as he isn't Rebecca's brother. It wouldn't bode well for either character I feel with her long time absence and not being that popular out of the main roster.

Jawmuncher

So long as he isn't Rebecca's brother. It wouldn't bode well for either character I feel with her long time absence and not being that popular out of the main roster.

I half expect some sort of fan favorite in a way. I expect that Capcom wants a Banders.gif type reaction when people find the connection.

Too bad they already used the Wesker connection. Easily could have ended the game with the MC of RE7 finding a picture if wesker a going "dad"?

They pretty much already used their child of main cast card.

They could make the family connection vague.
Example:
The MC is the grandkids of Wesker.

Jake is 24 in RE 6 and would be about 29 in RE 7. Ethan is a full grown man. Unless Albert or Alex had a much older child not mentioned, that wouldn't work and they themselves would only be in their late 50's so it wouldn't work anyway.

So is it bad that after buying RE5 digital day one on XB1, and a physical copy day 1 on PS4 that I'm considering buying the digital PS4 copy because of the 13.99 plus discount?

Gradon

I didn't remember that Zero could be so hard.

I've been trying to conserve ammo but in the process loosing a lot of health and having to use every health item I find. I'm in the final location now though, so hopefully there's enough health items here to get me through the rest of the game..

I had to fight
Proto Tyrant 1st encounter
on Orange Caution with no healing items. My heart was in my mouth but it didn't even hit me.

Jawmuncher

I've been trying to conserve ammo but in the process loosing a lot of health and having to use every health item I find. I'm in the final location now though, so hopefully there's enough health items here to get me through the rest of the game..

I had to fight
on Orange Caution with no healing items. My heart was in my mouth but it didn't even hit me.

Yeah 0 is a bit like CVX where you can kind of get yourself in a corner if you try too hard to conserve

Zero is easy.

Send Billy ahead to clear a room, then bring Rebecca in.

Whatever the f*** you do, do not let Rebecca near enemies unless forced to. Easy.

Zambatoh

Zero is easy.

Send Billy ahead to clear a room, then bring Rebecca in.

Whatever the f*** you do, do not let Rebecca near enemies unless forced to. Easy.

Eh? I mean that's one way to play it sure, but you make it sound like Rebecca is some fragile weak thing that can't take a hit for shit.
I've never found her weak enough to have her deliberately avoid fighting anything and still got through the game just fine.

Nemesis_

Eh? I mean that's one way to play it sure, but you make it sound like Rebecca is some fragile weak thing that can't take a hit for shit.
I've never found her weak enough to have her deliberately avoid fighting anything and still got through the game just fine.

I'm pretty sure it's a known fact she has less HP than Billy does. When I recently replayed it she could easily get down to Yellow or Orange Caution with a few hits.

Bladenic

I had to fight

I had no issues with the fight but I could see it being a major roadblock. Especially given the ridiculously tight space you have to fight in.

Gradon

I had no issues with the fight but I could see it being a major roadblock. Especially given the ridiculously tight space you have to fight in.

I was just scared I was gonna die because I was on Orange Caution. I circled his back repeatedly, used all my Magnum bullets and he fell without even attacking me. I've completed the game now, and the final boss was ridiculously easy. They even stock you up for it.

Overall, this is my third time playing 0, and I liked it less than I remembered. I still love it though. Can't wait for RE2make. It's going to be amazing if they stick to the same kind of REmake formula.

On hard a single full zombie bite attack can knock Rebecca into orange caution. One of those shitty 'not attacks' where you're grabbed but get shot free before you even get bit or even fully grabbed can knock her into yellow caution. She is a massive liability to your supply of health items. Billy has much more health and can take a bite and still be 'fine' status.

Jawmuncher

Can the Eshop version of RE4 be played with the gamepad?

You know it's odd that there isn't a solid answer on that.
I know you can with xenoblade and im pretty sure wii edition supported the classic controller (I know it supported the game cube controller).
So I want to say that it at least SHOULD be playable on the gamepad with the controls working.

ITEM BOX!!!

Wow. REmake is something else. Really fascinating playing this classic for the very first time. The game design holds up extremely well, and you can see where certain philosophies influenced more modern games. Bloodborne comes to mind, for example, in the way that you're tasked with navigating branching paths with no real safety net since the last save point. It's so satisfying when you figure out how rooms, hallways, and doors link up to places you've been. When you discover the key to a puzzle, it's like coming up for air.

Just found my second typewriter (I'm...moving a bit slow with this game) in the medical room, along with the item box someone told me about.

Question about the item box: Anything I put in there will show up in item boxes at different locations, correct? I'm just assuming.

I'm finishing RE 4 and 5 at the moment. Jumping back and forth from Classic to Action is simply too jarring of an experience for me

Can I also just say that while the melee combat in RE 6 is great, it lacks the sheer feeling of power that RE 5's melee does?

v6MQdk.gif
Barry-620x.jpg

Seeing enemies going flying several feet and rolling away uncontrollably is just so cathartic. Or Barry Fuckin' Burton headbutting someone so hard their head explodes.

Jawmuncher

As much as I love RE6, the melee holds a special place for me in RE5. Like you said the sheer power hits have in that game is just so satisfying. I can play RE5 whenever and it just doesn't get old. Doing a falcon punch at a group of majini and just seeing heads exploding and people flying back is just the most satisfying thing ever.

RE4 melee to me feels weaker in comparison. Outside of notable example like Hunk. If they ever add some more melee like RE5 had that didn't break the game. RE4 would be more godly than it already is.

Zambatoh

To be fair, the melee in RE6 relies more on kinetic flow instead of raw power. Which sets it apart from it's predecessors.

To be fair, the melee in RE6 relies more on kinetic flow instead of raw power. Which sets it apart from it's predecessors.

True, though a lot of the attacks in RE 6 seem to lack punch and impact. The Ammo Box, Ada's regular bow ammo, and Pier's pea shooting machine gun are the worst offenders. Even the RE 6 shotguns lack the heft of RE 4 and especially RE 5. It's one of my largest criticisms of the otherwise great combat.

Jawmuncher

Why isnt there a MERCS 3D game on PC/PS4/XB1.....Vita yet?

I play Mercs 3D every other day online still!

I ask this everyday.

I still feel like this is the 3rd game they are hinting at. Since they did say "fan requested" and outside of RE2make, that ot Outbreak HD seem the most likely.

BUT a mercs game would let them cover all their fans basically.
Re7 new,old, and want horror
Re2 make old fans who want classic gameplay
RE Mercs , action fans and action gameplay also hero characters

Psxphile

An expanded Mercs 3D with online multiplayer support would be pretty baller, actually. Hopefully with expanded maps pulled from other games in the series, new characters to the line-up (Ashley?), playing as the monster modes, etc.

Jawmuncher

An expanded Mercs 3D with online multiplayer support would be pretty baller, actually. Hopefully with expanded maps pulled from other games in the series, new characters to the line-up (Ashley?), playing as the monster modes, etc.

It would fit well with wanting to carry the anniversary of the series a bit more. A mercs game with every game accounted for would be that. Plus it would definitely be cheaper than a full action game, and for them would be able to support lots of dlc.

I think most here would dump on 10-20 dollar merc packs that included new characters and levels.

It would even work quite well with a Killer Instinct style F2P system. Oh you can play this map and character on a random rotation free. Or you can just buy the pack or season and play all of it.

KI F2P is basically just an extended demo

Top Bottom