• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

I'll probably buy this when it's cheaper for pc, I love tps and zombies.

btw, are they using capcom's MT Framework engine?

Lost planet 2 looks better imo.

sleepykyo

The new OT is up. Sorry for the delay! Big thanks to Yama as always for quality OTs!

By the way, Amazon shipped my LEs (360 and PS3) today, so they should be in Japan by the end of the week.
New op looks amazing . Still neglects to mention that Nemesis mode is exclusive to the 360.

smr00

Banned
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks THAT bad. A friend and I have decided to take the plunge on this game. Maybe it'll be fun with people you know?
I think it looks fun as well, luckily a good friend of mine is a RE fanatic and is picking it up, if he wasn't and i didn't know anyone who wanted to play it i would defiantly hold out for the inevitable $29.99 price drop in the next couple of weeks (lets face it, it won't sell that great)

Does it look amazing? no, fun? *lanas voice* yuuuuuuup

I'll probably buy this when it's cheaper for pc, I love tps and zombies.

btw, are they using capcom's MT Framework engine?
Before you get it for PC remember that every Capcom multiplayer game so far has used GFWL and is now dead online.

And no, they're using the SOCOM CONFRONTATION engine lol

I don't think Capcom lets any outside studios use the MT Framework.
So far no outside studio has, although that may be a matter of "all the engine documentation is in Japanese and would be a nightmare to translate!"

Hunk's character model is really bugging me. For someone as geared up as he is, he is tiny. Its also like he has no head under the gasmask and helmet unlike past versions.

Resident.Evil:.Operation.Raccoon.City.561938.jpg

Vs
UmbrellaHUNK.png

can't unsee it

Operation Raccoon City: Multiplayer Impressions by Maximilian (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdzP6PLwPs

Some of the competitive multiplayer first impressions. It's not good, lol

Didn't watch the entire video but 2 complaints I heard

Character select. -It doesn't allow multiples so thats why the other are locked.
Coulnt move when turned into a zombie. -you can't control your character after they become a zombie,computer does it.

Bladenic

So this game's gonna suck correct? I remember hearing something about scathing previews and it never looked that great to begin with.

Bring on RE 6 though!

Cels

Eighting is also a Japanese studio, so they wouldn't run into any translation issues. I think he was talking about Western (non-Japanese) studios.

Raide

Operation Raccoon City: Multiplayer Impressions by Maximilian (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdzP6PLwPs

Some of the competitive multiplayer first impressions. It's not good, lol

The Survival mode with other players seems a bit odd but its basically like Left4Dead. Throwing yourself into a first match without playing anything else is basically asking for those "What the hell do I do?" moments. :D

Once you work the controls, figure out the combat etc, it actually looks like a fun alternative to all the CoD's and BF games. I do get the feeling the community will be pretty much dead in a few months.

Didn't watch the entire video but 2 complaints I heard

Character select. -It doesn't allow multiples so thats why the other are locked.
Coulnt move when turned into a zombie. -you can't control your character after they become a zombie,computer does it.

Not sure if they are locked due to Rank etc.

As for the Zombie stuff, yeah it would be fun to play a zombie but you're supposed to be a mindless brain muncher. If players could control it, then you end up with tactical zombies and that would be terrifying. :D

So what kind of co-op is there in this game? I know the short story campaign can be played by up to 4 players in co-op. Is there any other mode that you can play in co-op with your friends though?

Not interested in the PvP aspect at all, just looking for some online co-op fun against AIs, like some survival mode against waves of zombies.

Looked at the guide tonight, from what I can recall:
Story mode - 4p co-op, 4 difficulty settings, cheevos for S ranking them.
Biohazard - 2 teams try to gather as many vials as possible and deliver them back to base.
Survival - 2 teams vie for control of an extraction zone for 8 minutes. When the heli lands it's a free for all to see who can get on the 4 seats of the chopper.
Heroes - RE2/3 heros deathmatch. Heroes have unique kill animations and a mix of abilities.
Standard DM (called something else I think) - pretty sure what Max was playing at first.
All modes have zombies and monsters in them, looks like.

All 6 classes have 5 special abilities and 3 levels for each. Assault has seemingly OP stuff like no damage and infinite ammo for a short amount of time. Survailance class is all radar perks and nothing else (though the guide said it's great for beginners to find hidden items).

The guide stresses the zombie shield technique as invaluable in sp and mp.
Wasn't Rebecca in one of the videos? Could have swore seeing her spray down someone but she wasn't in the guide.

Seventy5

Well, I've been playing for over 2 hours. I finished the first two campaign missions solo, it's not bad. It will probably be better with friends though. I leveled up like 7 times in two missions.

I'm really glad they didn't do a beta for this game, because I might stay up and play all night......if I could actually connect to anyone. I'm playing on PS3. There is some screen tearing, but other than that it seems to run pretty solid. It's obviously a filler game before RE6 comes out, but it's enjoyable at least. Anxious to try co-op with my friends when they get it tomorrow, gonna go play more before I go to bed so I'm level Awesome when they get on.

Lerozz

Reviews.

http://pirat3gaming.com/?p=1406 said:
With the campaign running just over 4 hours with terrible story telling and a multiplayer experience to keep you busy this is a must own for any Resident Evil fan looking for some extra story from a perspective that’s always been a mystery, but if you’re hoping for the ultimate scary moments that made this franchise famous you will be let down. This is going to give gamers the chance to try and see the Raccoon City incident from another perspective and offer a great co-op adventure with endless hours of killing your friends and zombies. This is a definite rent for those looking for a game to play with a squad rather than playing with random people. I really feel like they could have told the story better and offer more cinematic moments with Leon and Claire but overall the story is about Umbrella and trying to destroy the evidence they implicates them.

3.5/5.0

http://irbgamer.com/2012/03/resident-evil-orc-review/ said:
Surprisingly Operation Raccoon City provides an addicting co-op story (more fun with friends than memorable) and multiplayer games likes Heroes Mode, Biohazard and the upcoming Nemesis Mode, possibly making this one of the better entertaining titles for the 1st Quarter. You’ll definitely keep this in your console for quite some time!

4.25/5.0

http://golden4games.com/en/report/review/25836-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-7.html said:
The game is far from the story and the series, but with a game that featured great Action and more than excellent with the presence of a specific goal, not to kill only with the presence of a continuous real fun through the gates of the Internet among friends.

9/10

Raide

Played some of this earlier today. Actually enjoyed it! A little clunky in places but overall its pretty fun. Co-op is really fun but I do hope they add more variations to the online gametypes.

Funny to hear people say "WTF? Was that a Licker?" as our group gets mauled by Zombies and said Licker.

My only issue is that this could have been a DD title and been better for it. Having to pay full retail is a little hard to swallow. May pick it up when it gets a bit cheaper but by then, the community will be flat-lining.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, was not expecting great scores for this, but I still intend on renting it. I think it looks fun for what it is. Same with NG3.

pvpness

So I take it there's no online pass in this game? I had initially planned on picking it up for throw away co-op with buds, but then found out that they cut modes from the ps3 version. Now I'm interested in renting to see if I'll be interested in purchasing at 10 bucks down the road.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Game looks bad, every aspect of it. Can't believe this is $60, looks like an amateur L4D mod.

smr00

Banned
I could give 2 shits what IGN or anyone else thinks.

Picked up and have been playing for little over an hour and i like it, this is why i pay 0 attention to reviews, is it great? no, amazing? no, fun? yes.

Would i suggest people go out and spend $65-75 (depending if you get the SE) if you are a fan of RE and have friends to play with then yes, if not then wait for the $29.99 price drop in the next couple of weeks, i got it because i love RE and regret nothing.

Hunk's character model is really bugging me. For someone as geared up as he is, he is tiny. Its also like he has no head under the gasmask and helmet unlike past versions

Frankly think the new model is much better. Hunk has always looked awkward especially because of the oversized gas mask which would make him have a huge face and somehow a tiny top of the head to fill in that helmet. That type of gasmask generally sticks close to the face. His tactical gear on the new model actually sticks out unlike before which just looked like a black jumpsuit.

Carbonox

This week is fucking bizarro week. If you told me the next Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil games will be contenders for worst games of the year, I would have punched you in the throat.

Oh well, still buying them over time. :lol I'm a fucking idiot.

Top Bottom