• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

The graphics are amazing, Capcom on VITA is going to do amazing things!.

The scan is not that bad, is very quick and they let you know when there is no more scanning to do, the only things I don't liked is that you don't have to press a button to run (I guess I'm to used to old RE games) and the fact that you get a free herb after you get 100% scanning on the enemies, the rest is frikin brillant.

Ydahs

This is why we need more demos. I'm definitely buying it now.

I was skeptical about the framerate, but it ran wonderfully, even with 3D enabled. The graphics are insanely good. Cannot believe my 3DS is capable of such graphics.

The 3D in this game adds so much to the experience. First person mode using 'Very Strong' 3D mode is awesome. Not sure I'll play it all in 3D though, since it requires a bit more movement than your regular 3DS titles.

Do you mean being able to move while aiming with the gyro?

Because you can or at least i was able to.
No, I was hoping that I could aim normally with the pad (R+Circle pad) and at the same time augment my aim with the gyro control. The options allowed either only Cpad or only gyro for aiming only, not both at the same time. Gyro control is awesome though. Not sure if I need the frankenstick at all now.

I am regretting leaving my 3DS at home today. Although it would have meant downloading 150MB+ over my tethered 3G phone connection, which probably would have taken ages. Why am I in work? :(

Looking forward to playing this later on. If its the demo that was at Eurogamer I've already played it, but it'll be nice to play in the dark and with headphones, without all that chaos going on around me...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Finished the demo - it plays great without the CC Pro, if I hadn't ordered it already cheap at zavvi as bundle I probably would just get the regular version.

Revelations really looks as great as in the trailers I've seen so far, I'm really impressed with Capcoms offerings on the 3DS, this is a major step up presentation wise from anything else on the system. Played it a little bit in 3D but switched to 2D after a while where it looks way better and less jaggy.

The music and sound effect while playing on the 3DS with earphones on - creepy, Fatal Frame will probably be even worse. Probably gonna play it again with Japanese voices this time.

Okay enough of that crap... Time to play some Cooking Mama 4.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The game looks incredible. 3D maxed, both on the slider and in game enhancement, is very impressive. Excellent engine and art.

For the first time ever though I'm going to have a hard time deciding between 2D and 3D. The AA implemented in 2D is incredibly clean, meanwhile 3D is jaggy hell.

ugoo18

No, I was hoping that I could aim normally with the pad (R+Circle pad) and at the same time augment my aim with the gyro control. The options allowed either only Cpad or only gyro for aiming only, not both at the same time. Gyro control is awesome though. Not sure if I need the frankenstick at all now.

Ahh ok, i was thinking of getting the Cpad but im not really sure if it's worth it. The game for me at least based on the demo is perfectly playable with just the 3DS.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone think the gun and environment sounds were a bit low bit rate?

MooMoo

RE: Mercs was sort of like that as well. I'm hoping it's just a result of it being a demo but I wouldn't be surprised if the sound effects remained lower quality as they were in Mercs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Mercs was identical, and if I were reviewing it I'd knock a point off for it. I don't know if it's the hardware or what, but Capcom's gun sounds on the 3DS fucking suck. Tinny, low quality junk. Guns don't feel meaty and it just doesn't feel good to shoot stuff.

Mercs was identical, and if I were reviewing it I'd knock a point off for it. I don't know if it's the hardware or what, but Capcom's gun sounds on the 3DS fucking suck. Tinny, low quality junk. Guns don't feel meaty and it just doesn't feel good to shoot stuff.

Definitely not the hardware. I've not seen it in any other game; in fact, I've seen quite the contrary.

MoxManiac

Is this the same demo packaged with Mercenaries or is it a new demo?

EDIT: The voices in mercs were at a super low bit rate too. It was dissapointing. That, and the missing voices. But enough bitching about mercs.

wrowa

The demo was definitely promising, it didn't blow me away, but I'm looking forward to the game a little more now (which is actually bad, becaus I ordered at takes-3-weeks-to-deliver.com).

The controls feel a little too slow, especially when one is used to the "modern way" of controlling 3rd person shooters. It works well, without a doubt, but I don't find it as comfortable as I would like to. I wonder if the CPPro would change that impression, but I kind of doubt that Capcom went out to make such a rather big change to the gameplay. One definitely doesn't need the CPPro to play the game, though, it works without it just fine. I particularly like it that it's possible to walk (!!1) while aiming, that's a little REvolution. :p

I'm not very found of the supply scanner, though, it slows down the game unnecessarily and I don't really see the logic behind it. I can only find the items when using a scanner? Come on, am I blind?

If the length of the demo is an indication for the length of each chapter of the game, I can relate to the criticism by GamesTM, though. That's the only thing that unsettles me a bit. I didn't really get a feel for the setting, and if it always changes the playable characters/the setting every 15 minutes I can understand why that would harm the experience. But I'll wait for the full game before it pass a judgement on that front, obviously.

I like the small throwback to the old RE-times, even though I don't think it was particularly scarry or tense just yet. Buut I was being surprised two times. Damn falling from the ceiling enemies :p

I was wondering this too. How big are these games for the cart size? iirc the reason Revelations is overpriced is because it uses a larger cart size, so we know it's at least over the normal amount. But still the audio in both could have been poorly compressed to fit. And yeah, in Revelations' case, it might just be for the demo to keep download size small.

wsippel

Banned
The game looks incredible. 3D maxed, both on the slider and in game enhancement, is very impressive. Excellent engine and art.

For the first time ever though I'm going to have a hard time deciding between 2D and 3D. The AA implemented in 2D is incredibly clean, meanwhile 3D is jaggy hell.
Agreed. But like with Zen Pinball, after playing the demo for a couple of minutes in 3D, I simply can't go back to 2D. It just feels wrong.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Replayed it again on hell - really funny though I died in the small room on the second floor in that smoke area. Didn't knew that the explosion of a monster will 1-hit KO you.

But it's challenging and seems to be fair.

Tenbatsu

The controls feel a little too slow, especially when one is used to the "modern way" of controlling 3rd person shooters. It works well, without a doubt, but I don't find it as comfortable as I would like to. I wonder if the CPPro would change that impression, but I kind of doubt that Capcom went out to make such a rather big change to the gameplay. One definitely doesn't need the CPPro to play the game, though, it works without it just fine. I particularly like it that it's possible to walk (!!1) while aiming, that's a little REvolution. :p
Using the CCPRO, you move forward and back/Strafe using the left slidepad and rotate using the right slidepad. Comfortable and works really well.

Just finished the demo, and here are my impressions:

- I think the graphics aren't quite as good as I had expected. The framerate especially was a disappointment, but I hope that will be fixed in the final version. It looks good, but I feel that the IQ isn't all that great. It doesn't look quite as crisp as some other 3DS games.

- Maybe it's just me, but I think the game looks terrible in 3D. Not that I really care, I don't play games in 3D anyway, but I'm a bit surprised to read good impressions on the 3D.

- The sound effects are really bad. I don't expect that to be improved for the final version either.

- The gunplay in general feels meh when compared to RE4/RE5.

- The scanning feels like a neat idea, and I think I'll enjoy it.

- I like the setting and the confined areas. It was a good choice for the platform.

- I had no problems with the controls. No complaints there.

Overall I feel it's a solid game, and I'm definitely buying it because I'm a fan of the series, but I think I had my expectations a bit too high. Though, it's not easy to tell much from this short demo.

Tenbatsu

Sounds great, that's the setup I hoped for. :D
ZL to aim and ZR to fire. R will be knife. It's an awesome setup.

If I remember correctly, you are able to pan the camera to see Jill's face using TYPE 1 or 2 by using the map on the touch screen.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I was wondering this too. How big are these games for the cart size? iirc the reason Revelations is overpriced is because it uses a larger cart size, so we know it's at least over the normal amount. But still the audio in both could have been poorly compressed to fit. And yeah, in Revelations' case, it might just be for the demo to keep download size small.

Keep in mind that they have six languages' worth of voice acting to pack in there.

Does this have any StreetPass/SpotPass/PlayCoin features?

Yeah, StreetPass and Play Coins unlock Raid Mode stuff.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What, no proper ("Biohazard") title in the thread title!? CVX you fail me! :(

scarybore

The depth is impressive when 3D is active, but like all the 3DS games I have played, the image quality is so bad that I don't really see its appeal. Framerate ain't to hot either, especially in the smoke filled room.

Obviously unfair to judge it from just the demo as I've been trying to avoid as much media from the game as possible, but Capcom really needs to work harder on enemy designs for the series, they haven't been all that interesting for quite some time.

Hate Jill's new voice too, unless it's just the sound quality making it shit.

Saving on cart size is what I would expect as well. Much like with Gamecube ports back in the day, sound was always the first thing to be sacrificed. Either that or maybe Capcom just don't think people care as much about audio quality on a portable system.

Keep in mind that they have six languages' worth of voice acting to pack in there.

Yeah, that would explain it. Understandable why Capcom as a company would do that, just a shame we as consumers suffer for it.

Sinthetic

Just tried the demo, really liked the little that I played. I skipped the cutscenes because I don't want them spoiled.

Visuals are stunning, best I've seen by a mile on 3DS. I'm a big fan of 3D and always play using it, this game is a pleasure for my eyes. Gameplay is nice, feels like the add on will really help make it less janky.

The lighting and environments feel like classic RE and I found myself running out of ammo because I was plugging away at everything in sight. I like the interface on the bottom screen and the button config. The scanner is reminiscent of Metroid Prime and I am all for that stuff, so it's a nice little mechanic.

All in all, really good stuff. Bring on my order Zavvi.

Ragus

Banned
Great demo. Nice, haunting atmosphere. I've just preordered it.

When it comes to controls, I will use CC Pro, as I didn't know, that you can aim while moving your character. Sure, I can do it on ABXY, but I think that it will work better on frankenstick.

Top Bottom