• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

andthebeatgoeson

I've been toying with getting Resident Evil 4 for years now. Since playing RE:R I think I'm finally going to jump on it when I go to pick up my copy of Xenoblade or order it from Amazon around the same time if they don't have any copies. I've never really liked RE because of the horrible controls when I played RE1 and then Code Veronica. This game clicks with me more then I thought it would. Even when I die I don't mind it as I just try something differently the next time. Placing ammo before a big encounter certainly helps as well.

Should be able to finish up episode 3 tonight. Is this the first chapter? In that chapters have several episodes or are the episodes the actual chapters?

Get RE4. Top 10 game of all time.

5amshift

Banned
You get a new weapon before each of those bosses. I suggest you use it along with grenades.

Doesn't help the fact that they are bullet sponges and incredibly difficult for no reason. Made the game stupid for me, and I could honestly care less if I play through the rest of the game.

bryehn

I am really surprised at how much I'm enjoying this so far, I never really cared for RE 4 or 5.

Still not a "survival horror" in the strictest sense, but I like the gameplay format so far. Great graphics, the 3D works very well here and the audio design is quite good too (if you wear phones).

After the epic fail I experienced with Zavvi (waited for a week and a half, said the package got lost and is supposedly refunding me), should be picking this up from Gamestation next week. Going to trade in Mario Kart 7 because... it's not great.

Doesn't help the fact that they are bullet sponges and incredibly difficult for no reason. Made the game stupid for me, and I could honestly care less if I play through the rest of the game.

The first boss-battle is extremely strategic when it comes to using the well thought out environment in that area to your advantage.
'I suck at game - game sucks' isn't the most thought out criticism I can think of...

its excellent but best game of all time? you clearly haven't played OoT :p

It's a tie, you okay with that? :p

They're really not that bad. The game gives you more than enough ammo to kill every enemy up to that point, and still have enough left over for the bosses.

For the second boss:
You can outrun her and meet up with Parker, who can help you kill her. This is also a good time to practice the dodge move.

The first boss-battle is extremely strategic when it comes to using the well thought out environment in that area to your advantage.
'I suck at game - game sucks' isn't the most thought out criticism I can think of...

Very true. Those explosive canisters aren't decoration.

Toge

RE: "The first boss is too hard/bullet sponge!!!!! argh this game suxxxxx"

Is everyone saying this started gaming when the 360 came out or something. Games are meant to be a CHALLENGE. Use the environment. Think tactically. And most of all, deal with it.

Got the game yesterday, and it's fun and looks great and all, but I either started sucking at gaming over night, or the first two bosses are ridiculous. Bullet sponges killing you in one or two hits, fast as fuck in the second case, and accompanied by an unlimited number of trash mobs - what the fuck is this shit? I think I'll either give up or start over on easy, and that's something I didn't have to do in years...

I had no issues with the latter, but the first one did me in a few times.

In the case of the first,
you're given a high powered rifle just before the battle, and you can roam around to scope out all the explosive cylinders before you start. It's stilll really tough though. When he is stunned by an explosive cylinder, if you get close you can do a charged melee shot on him (hold the indicated button and release) -- this kills them much quicker, and I didn't learn it until AFTER this battle. Another good trick to beating him is to keep hopping over the window next to the room where he was imprisoned -- unlike the ooze zombies, he can't climb / go through windows. One thing to watch out for is his traps... he fires traps onto the floor and if you're caught in one when he comes within proximity, you're getting insta-killed. I actually didn't realise that was happening to me until after a couple of unnecessary deaths...

With regards to the latter (second boss) -

I took it easy / carefully and didn't have a problem here. Used shotgun blasts and machine gun rounds on her in each room until she ran away, and if I found myself crowded I ran past her to an open space where I'd have plenty of time to react, and turned around to open fire. Once you get to the last room (the blasted up kitchen / cafeteria style area where Parker meets you) grenades work really well.

5amshift

Banned

Is everyone saying this started gaming when the 360 came out or something. Games are meant to be a CHALLENGE. Use the environment. Think tactically. And most of all, deal with it.

If you don't think for a first boss that he didn't take enough bullets, you are terribly mistaken. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just the boss you were going against, but more monsters had to keep spawning, it was so unnecessary. Games are meant to be a challenge on challenging difficulties, not on normal. Or even later on in the game I'm sure the game will get difficult in certain areas like usually all games typically do. But the first boss? C'mon..

If you don't think for a first boss that he didn't take enough bullets, you are terribly mistaken. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just the boss you were going against, but more monsters had to keep spawning, it was so unnecessary. Games are meant to be a challenge on challenging difficulties, not on normal. Or even later on in the game I'm sure the game will get difficult in certain areas like usually all games typically do. But the first boss? C'mon..

iirc there also was a 'casual' difficulty. No shame to play this first...
I died 3 times on the first boss. But when I worked on my strategy and finally beat him it felt extremely rewarding and satisfying. One of the games highlights for me.

tkscz

I have to agree with this, especially because
The second boss was WAY too easy. All she did was run away, sure there were other enemies, but they were ALL the basic ones. Rachel herself was no different from the basic enemy when she actually stayed and fought.
On the other hand, the first boss
had an instant kill move, so getting caught in a corner and hearing "food" (or what ever he said) meant instant doom. Died 3 times on that boss, though it was satisfying beating him, I felt it took a little too much damage to do so. Just my opinion

He was the equivalent of RE4's chainsaw guy - you just had less space to run away in.

I died a few times on him myself, and I had to die in order to learn what I was doing wrong --
getting caught in his traps leaving me vulnerable to his chainsaw move, not taking advantage of his stunned state after using the explosive cannisters
. Once you know the behaviour and know the right distance to keep, he's challenging, but much easier. Someone could probably do a video beating him in 2/3 minutes or something. And spoilers for later in the game
you do face his kind again, and personally, I found them a lot easier later in the game. Partly to do with increased firepower, partly to do with the experience from that first battle.

I thought he was a great, memorable boss personally.

Luigiv

Well to be fair, the bosses are bullet sponges. I've got nothing against difficult bosses but there are other ways of doing it than jacking their health up to the extreme. Giving bosses excessive amounts of health tends to ruin a games rhythm. It's especially noticeable here since the minions' health is balanced perfectly.

NeoRausch

Protip: If you are about to start your no herb-run... TURN OFF AUTOSAVE!!! TURN! IT! OFF!

Had a pretty good run till i got hit multiple time, blood shattered screen and all. Got nervous, jumped into the next room to save myself (that's the point where i turned stupid) and BAMM! autosave.... No chance to end the level like that.

uhrgh....

gonna start over.

just.... turn autosave off...

tkscz

Protip: If you are about to start your no herb-run... TURN OFF AUTOSAVE!!! TURN! IT! OFF!

Had a pretty good run till i got hit multiple time, blood shattered screen and all. Got nervous, jumped into the next room to save myself (that's the point where i turned stupid) and BAMM! autosave.... No chance to end the level like that.

uhrgh....

gonna start over.

just.... turn autosave off...

Is there a reason for a no herb run or is that just for fun?

Vidiot

The first boss was great. I'm playing on normal and I didn't think it was too hard.

Just finished chapter 4. Oh my god was that intense! Does the game stay this awesome until the end?

Vrakanox

I am really surprised at how much I'm enjoying this so far, I never really cared for RE 4 or 5.

Still not a "survival horror" in the strictest sense, but I like the gameplay format so far. Great graphics, the 3D works very well here and the audio design is quite good too (if you wear phones).

There's something about the feel of this game that is just awesome. That tension of wanting to get back to your partner for safety or to reach the next area before being killed, I love it.

Just got past the first boss. Definitely a bullet sponge, no argument. I did nothing but pump lead into that motherfucker for well over 5 minutes. The first time I died was because of fatigue and I got tired of running, turning around, shooting, running, turning, etc. etc. I had to literally force myself to beat it.

Still loving the game. But damn.

ravien56

I found the first boss to be quite fun. I just took him to every gas barrel and shot him, then did a melee attack just like the first boss in RE5. The last 2 minutes I had to pump lead into him but still had a great time doing it.

Games are meant to be a challenge on challenging difficulties, not on normal. Or even later on in the game I'm sure the game will get difficult in certain areas like usually all games typically do. But the first boss? C'mon..

The Resident Evil games have always been fairly challenging on the default difficulty levels, especially near the beginning. Remember the beginning of the village in RE4? Capcom just loves trials by fire.

Davey Cakes

Just got past the first boss. Definitely a bullet sponge, no argument. I did nothing but pump lead into that motherfucker for well over 5 minutes. The first time I died was because of fatigue and I got tired of running, turning around, shooting, running, turning, etc. etc. I had to literally force myself to beat it.

Still loving the game. But damn.
Fully agreed.

I liked the area of the promenade, too. I mean, a bullet sponge boss battle isn't a bad way to use the area but I really wish we were past these sorts of things in RE games.

You'd think that using the canisters would make a difference but I was fighting that damn guy for long after using every one.

I understand that it's supposed to be challenging, but combining a bullet sponge enemy with spawning BOWs is just too much. It's like the Shanty Town battle in RE5 but more frustrating. Yeah, the game gives you the ammo you need, but it's not really satisfying to blow entire loads of ammo just to take a boss down.

Even RE4 had bullet sponges. But at least the battles with U3 and Verdugo were interesting in some way.

Other than that the game has been ace, in terms of claustrophobic environments and classic, dark RE atmosphere.

I also wish the enemy designs were... a little better. Sure, it's hard to mess up mutated conglomerations, but they're stale even by those standards. Also the
big tittied Rachael tyrant
is too hilarious to take seriously or be frightened by. By this point, after all the sexual innuendo, Jessica's sweet ass, and the
Titty Tyrant
, I wouldn't be surprised if the last boss is a giant mutated dildo.

This is the kind of stuff you normally see in a generic Silent Hill game.

Yuterald

omg beginning of Episode V...really?
Playing as Jackass/Quint and Grinder...come on, Capcom. Five episodes in and I've already played as 3 different characters? Christ!
. And god damn, the music that plays during those scenes, total dumb bones "yo check" hip hop beat rhyme time nonsense. This is so not a Resident Evil game, lol!

I'm still enjoying myself whenever I'm on the boat, but all the little alternate perspective/flashback scenarios aren't doing it for me. Total "whoa XBOX360" generation kind of stuff. I really wish I could take these games seriously. RE1-3 had such a tight, semi-grounded, neat little universe building and the newer games have just taken dumps all over what could have been seriously cool.

Ugh, so glad I've mentally moved on from this series.

Playing as Jackass/Quint and Grinder...come on, Capcom. Five episodes in and I've already played as 3 different characters? Christ!
. And god damn, the music that plays during those scenes, total dumb bones "yo check" hip hop beat rhyme time nonsense. This is so not a Resident Evil game, lol!

I'm still enjoying myself whenever I'm on the boat, but all the little alternate perspective/flashback scenarios aren't doing it for me. Total "whoa XBOX360" generation kind of stuff. I really wish I could take these games seriously. RE1-3 had such a tight, semi-grounded, neat little universe building and the newer games have just taken dumps all over what could have been seriously cool.

I always was under the assumption that HipHop was introduced earlier than Xbox 360...

Thoraxes

I went to pick up a CCP from Gamestop because they said they were available in store, and when I called they also said they had them. So I scheduled an in-store pickup and they told me it was a pre-order only one and that the next shipment is in April.

Guess it's time to wait until Nintendo ships mine now.

Yuterald

I always was under the assumption that HipHop was introduced earlier than Xbox 360...

Hey, I didn't say the "yo, check it" music was from the xbox generation. I said the alternate character/flashback segments were too "xbox360 generation" for me. Come on, in Episode I, I believe, the part where the
freighter plane crashes overhead while you are playing as Chris and Jessica,
That's such new gen, scripted, Gears of War style shit. Just fucking tired of it. I just really wish the boat was the entire game.

Santiako

RE games were always cheesy and fun.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just got to the first boss. I need help, because
I've spent 10 mins or so running around the area, shooting him, shooting the barrels when he gets close, etc and I keep dying because he'll randomly get me and hit me with the one hit kill

I've spent 10 mins or so running around the area, shooting him, shooting the barrels when he gets close, etc and I keep dying because he'll randomly get me and hit me with the one hit kill

You're doing it right, you're just not doing it long enough. Keep your distance from it.

Pangya

Are you using charge melee attacks every time he is down? You could also exploit the windows in the room he comes out from the door. Keep firing away and hop to the other side whenever he's close, and melee when ever he gets down.

The easiest way to beat the first boss is to
find the area of the deck with the two stairs near each other. At the top is one of the flame canisters. I literally just ran loops up and down those stairs waiting for him to follow and shooting him with the rifle/shotgun. This really only works if you've collected all the ammo beforehand.

Also a tip for starting out, DON'T be in the room right outside the padlocked door he's in. Stand far back, far enough that you can see both the padlock and the first flame canister. You can shoot them both from afar with your normal handgun and get an easy first hit from the canister.

Also use your grenades and those things that lure enemies. They help a lot and do damage. Using this strategy I never had to get close to the boss. Of course I'm only playing on Normal difficulty

Fully agreed.

I liked the area of the promenade, too. I mean, a bullet sponge boss battle isn't a bad way to use the area but I really wish we were past these sorts of things in RE games.

You'd think that using the canisters would make a difference but I was fighting that damn guy for long after using every one.

I understand that it's supposed to be challenging, but combining a bullet sponge enemy with spawning BOWs is just too much. It's like the Shanty Town battle in RE5 but more frustrating. Yeah, the game gives you the ammo you need, but it's not really satisfying to blow entire loads of ammo just to take a boss down.

Even RE4 had bullet sponges. But at least the battles with U3 and Verdugo were interesting in some way.

Other than that the game has been ace, in terms of claustrophobic environments and classic, dark RE atmosphere.
It's not that hard and doesn't take that much time.
If you stun him with canisters or grenades give him a fully charged melee and shoot his weak point. Remember you can shoot his traps with just one pistol rounds iirc.
He'll go down pretty fast. There will be a real bullet sponge boss later.

Sinthetic

Had such awesome Abyss Raid matches with a guy called Cool J earlier, it was seriously funny.

3 funny situations:

I was Keith and he was Raymond, I kept saying "You the man" and he kept saying "Thanks, I think"... That was damn funny.

I was Jill and he was Jessica, I kept throwing Shock Grenades in the water electrifying her and she kept saying "I could get used to this".

I was Parker and he was Raymond, I kept telling him "I'm gonna buy you lunch"... and he kept saying "Thanks, I think".

So in closing, those call outs in Raid are the fucking shit.

Look out for me, I'm SIN and I am a funny MF'er.

Top Bottom