• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Neiteio

Sure mate...

You need to go through the promenade, take the lift upstairs to the Helipad area. That's where the true ending is. It's about 7 waves of enemies, varying from wolves and hunters, to those rock beasts. There was a stage where 3 Mayday bosses appeared with wolves and hunters at the same time! The final wave is the actual boss of the main game!

Good luck buddy, let me know when you kick ass!
Holy shit. You're kidding, right?

I think I'll wait until I'm 30 levels stronger!

Neiteio

I attempted it at level 44 and got my ass owned! I really recommend you get as near to 50 as you can pal! Buy all the ammo capacity upgrades you can while you are at it!
When you say ammo capacity upgrades, you mean the equippable ones, right? What are these "refill ammo" upgrades I buy? I'm not sure how they work. Also, does leveling have defensive benefits? I know the higher your level, the stronger weapons you can equip, but does it also give you resistance to enemy attacks?

EDIT: This game has the best music in the series. Is there a soundtrack available?

Sinthetic

When you say ammo capacity upgrades, you mean the equippable ones, right? What are these "refill ammo" upgrades I buy? I'm not sure how they work. Also, does leveling have defensive benefits? I know the higher your level, the stronger weapons you can equip, but does it also give you resistance to enemy attacks?

EDIT: This game has the best music in the series. Is there a soundtrack available?

The ammo refill basically gives you full ammo for that specific weapon in your next run. The upgrades I mean are the upgrades you buy from that store (Ammo Bag 1/2/3 etc).

You will naturally get those 20% 50% 70% Capacity equipable perk upgrades from playing the game.

I think the higher you level, the stronger weapons you unlock and the HP/perks are more rare.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This game is up to 20 reviews on amazon.com and they're all 5 stars. Best 3DS game confirmed?
Game's ratings on the DE eShop are sky-high. The ratio between the numbers of 5-star and 4-star ratings is above 30x in favor of 5-star. I don't think I've seen another game getting such ratings on the eShop.

Oh my god, I just fought the
Rachel
boss fight.

OH MY GOD. ;___;

"
FOUUUUUUUUUND YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
"

Also, Clint needs to die in a fire. His voice acting is absolutely atrocious.

Aside from that, though, this game is motherFUCKING fantastic so far. When Capcom commits to a game, they reeeeeeally commit, and it shows.

Oh my god, I just fought the
Rachel
boss fight.

OH MY GOD. ;___;

"
FOUUUUUUUUUND YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
"

Also, Clint needs to die in a fire. His voice acting is absolutely atrocious.

Aside from that, though, this game is motherFUCKING fantastic so far. When Capcom commits to a game, they reeeeeeally commit, and it shows.

The voices from the two nerd guys were awesome in spanish.
Its possible some of the hate for the characters of the game are becuase of differnt dubs? I really like all the characters when playing the spanish one.

I know its on youtube, and I think it releases Feb 22 in Japan.
I think I agree, unlike some others in the series with a handful+ of amazing songs I loved all of it.

Also is it just me or does the main menu/interface and HUD make RE5's look like vomit in retrospect?

So is Raid Mode kinda like Horde Mode? I understand this game supports online multiplayer? Also, does anyone know if European version is Multi-5, or is it restricted per country?

RetroMG

Picked this up on Thursday, but I haven't had time to crack into it yet. (Planning to today). I did get a Revelaitons box, which made me super happy.

The voices from the two nerd guys were awesome in spanish.
Its possible some of the hate for the characters of the game are becuase of differnt dubs? I really like all the characters when playing the spanish one.

na I thought the voice fit but the characters and dialog were out of place. I was ok with them. Quint reminded me of David Cross for some reason.

So is Raid Mode kinda like Horde Mode?
little different most stages are a short locations sections from story. You go point A-B killing along the way.

The loading door screens are so long!
Dont even try switching guns or turning around.

Are there any other enemies who drop parts in the main game besides
the 4 times (?) you fight Rachel + the chainsaw guy in the same timed section as her
?

Toge

I tried Stage 21 on my own last night,
got owned on the fifth wave. I was like WTF when they just kept coming.

Grisby

Thanks for the battery replies guys. Yeah, it sure seems to die out quick for me, :(. Thought about playing and just leaving it plugged in.

Also, I think that Quint and Grinder have managed to annoy me far more then that mini-napoleon guy from 4. A true feat. They might be RE's worst characters ever (excluding some spin-offs like Dead Aim which I never played so can't comment on).

"This is Jackass!"

dude Salazar was hilarious. Jackass and Quint are just dumb. Salazar had amazing exchanges with Leon; those two guys are just there to fill Capcom's desire to have weird shitty unfunny comical elements in most of their games.

dude Salazar was hilarious. Jackass and Quint are just dumb. Salazar had amazing exchanges with Leon; those two guys are just there to fill Capcom's desire to have weird shitty unfunny comical elements in most of their games.

which is kinda sad because their situation had alot of potential.

Beat the singleplayer yesterday. Some random thoughts:

Overall, it's a great game. I'm really happy how everything came together, but I probably don't like it as much as some of you guys do. I don't think it's quite the "classic" Resident Evil some make it out to be. They definitely go through the motions when it comes to the setting with the mansion
and the laboratory at the end
, but in the end it was still much more action-focused than any pre-RE 4 game and having a companion with you almost all the time breaks the tension. And there are no Zombies. I mean come on. Not even pseudo-zombies like the Ganados. That's a real problem as far as classic RE goes.
So I personally consider it more of a RE4/5 type of game and that's completely fine with me. Technically it's quite marvelous for a first year 3DS game. Some framerate issues here and there and out-of-place looking videos are the only things that could've used a bit more optimization. But aside from that it's pushing the 3DS like no other game so far (I can also tell from how fast the battery is drained :p ).
The supply scanner was not amazing. At first I liked the idea (I love scanning in Metroid Prime), but it really just slowed the gameplay down and I would rather not experience the visuals through a stupid IR-like filter. Not a good idea. It would be better if they handled it like Bioshock and you just scanned enemies for damage bonuses.
Didn't care for the story, so it's pretty much in line with every RE game ever.
And Raid mode is a great addition and I think I prefer it to Mercenaries -- but I would still like to have both modes in future installments.

It's a cool game. I would play more of those.

jokkir

I thought they were pretty entertaining D:

Anyway, how do you get different coloured names in Raid Mode? I played against a nanami and his/her name was blue. Is it by region or something?

Grisby

I remember disliking him immensely but you know, I only played through 4 once a long time ago. Maybe he's funnier now in retrospect.

But yeah, Revelation's dudes are just bad. I hope they meet an untimely death.

I thought they were pretty entertaining D:

Anyway, how do you get different coloured names in Raid Mode? I played against a nanami and his/her name was blue. Is it by region or something?

called honor color I think. I got green at 40 but I think you get it from the challenges/mission menu

I went into this game not expecting Resident Evil 4 quality and it's not.

It's much closer with all things considering though and I am floored(just beat the game on Normal).

The most epic game(without overstaying its welcome) I have ever played on a portable.

I actually liked the characters, they were stupid at times but so Resident Evil and on par with most in the series.

Not sure why those two guys were compared to Salazar, Salazar WAS Resident Evil 4.

Not sure what I'd score Relevations this soon(haven't even tried the now famous Raid Mode) but I can definitely say one thing with a huge laugh........it's not a '6' game.

Hale-XF11

Game's ratings on the DE eShop are sky-high. The ratio between the numbers of 5-star and 4-star ratings is above 30x in favor of 5-star. I don't think I've seen another game getting such ratings on the eShop.

US eShop ratings for this game breaks down like this so far:

5 stars - 1064 votes (one of those is mine)
4 stars - 40
3 stars - 2
2 stars - 1 (lol)

Kolgar

Just started this last night.

Holy CRAP at those graphics!

Game SERIOUSLY impresses visually. Weather effects were wonderfully convincing; that was some atmospheric stuff.

Love the music, too.

You know, at first I hated Jill's new voice but its growing on me. In trailers and the demo it seemed so flat but Im noticing she seems to have a been there done that attitude.

Still like Patricia Ja Lee(UC,RE5) more though.

You get those for beating all the stages on S Rank on Chasm, (green) Trench (Blue) and Abyss (purple).

Thanks had to look back, didn't notice I had S'd them all yet.

Davey Cakes

I'm almost surprised by how much Revelations is lining up with my desire for post-RE4 "new RE" games.

One of the reasons why RE5 was disappointing to me was because they took RE4 as a base and put it even more in the direction of an action shooter and made it feel even less like an RE game. I never had an issue with "new RE" but I figured that RE4 was mostly conceptual and experimental, and that it would merely serve as a stepping stone to a new generation of Resident Evil games.

RE5 took the aspects of RE4 that should have been weeded out, and actually made them more prominent. That was a big WTF for me.

However, Revelations truly is a "revelation." It gives you the "new RE" gameplay of RE4, with weapons upgrade, the over-the-shoulder perspective, dodging mechanics, etc. It also adds in quick weapon-switching, courtesy of RE5. But then it offers dark, gothic, creepy atmosphere in droves. It has key doors. Claustrophobic environments. A large portion of the game takes place in a single giant area, and thus feels less like a collection of "levels" (even though the game is spread out in episodes).

I will say that I actually enjoyed how large RE4 was and how it felt like one long, progressive adventure (where its sequel felt overly-fragmented). But if I couldn't have that, then I'd easily take the direction of Revelations, which thus far has shown me the best mix of old RE and new RE yet.

Of course, this is ignoring the non-ship areas that I have experienced thus far. Those are sort of like they're own little things. Off to the side. Good ways to break up the game.

Mafro

Just did the ghost ship level in raid mode, I was level 22 and the other guy was 46. Took us just under an hour and I thought it was never going to end. Somehow managed to get an S rank, though.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Chapter 5 and 6 remind me a lot of the part in RE4 where you go to the sewers and find the Novistadors. Really atmospheric and beautiful looking.

Neiteio

I loved Keith and Quint. They felt like old buddies, the working stiff and the brainiac, Keith always teasing Quint about his luck with girls and his love of gadgets. I loved it when Quint all but acused Keith of stalking
Jessica
, or when he broke the fourth wall for a horror game by deadpanning
"It feels like something's going to jump out."
I liked the lighthearted beat that played during their cutscenes, and little details like how they're actually cold out in the snow makes them seem real. I would love to see these guys again (though I'd miss Keith's hood if he didn't wear it; it's such a distinctive part of his appearance).

Also, to the few people who have said this game doesn't have zombies like old RE or even the ganado in RE4: did you not notice the shambling infected corpses called Ooze? The way they move is more zombie-like than the actual RE zombies of old, lol. I loved them -- so cool-looking with the maritime details like shellfish claws and sponge-like tongues. You never knew when they would come plopping out of a vent or crawling out from beneath a table. And roundhouse kicking them across the kitchen never gets old, lol.

On another note, I can't stop thinking about Chapter 12. I wish I could jump straight to it and play through it again.
I loved scuba diving in the sunken ship with the haunting choir music playing, sneaking past the swimming globsters, and using the cutting laser to slice through doors. And then finding the dead FBC agent with the recording... The bloodied banquet hall with the Veltro corposes on the table (you can even read their names and brief lines in remembrance of them)... The chilling video from Norman, and then the candle-lit hall leading down to him as he reads passages from Dante's Inferno... The best-looking Tyrant yet, and a pitch-perfect battle, back against the wall, illusions everywhere.
The best strategy for the last boss, I found, is
put your back against one corner of the room, by the weapons box, then shoot his heart with a machine gun, just two shots at a time, to stagger him; when he tries tricking you with illusions, simply turn to the one with purple smoke in his mouth, and use a shotgun instead (it's quicker in this case); sometimes one will appear in front of you with no smoke, and appear again, and then the real one quickly appears, so just wait before shooting; reload the shotty after he staggers each time; and in his final phase, well, I used a rocket launcher at point blank range, lol

Famassu

Stepping into that one big room in Episode 3 was kind of a WOW moment. Proof enough that 3DS can pump out some real nice graphixxxxxx.

Grisby

Stepping into that one big room in Episode 3 was kind of a WOW moment. Proof enough that 3DS can pump out some real nice graphixxxxxx.
Yeah. I just had another moment like that in Ch 8. Heck of a ride.

The rifle is so beastly when you stock it with add-ons.

olimpia84

On another note, I can't stop thinking about Chapter 12. I wish I could jump straight to it and play through it again.
I loved scuba diving in the sunken ship with the haunting choir music playing, sneaking past the swimming globsters, and using the cutting laser to slice through doors. And then finding the dead FBC agent with the recording... The bloodied banquet hall with the Veltro corposes on the table (you can even read their names and brief lines in remembrance of them)... The chilling video from Norman, and then the candle-lit hall leading down to him as he reads passages from Dante's Inferno... The best-looking Tyrant yet, and a pitch-perfect battle, back against the wall, illusions everywhere.
The best strategy for the last boss, I found, is
put your back against one corner of the room, by the weapons box, then shoot his heart with a machine gun, just two shots at a time, to stagger him; when he tries tricking you with illusions, simply turn to the one with purple smoke in his mouth, and use a shotgun instead (it's quicker in this case); sometimes one will appear in front of you with no smoke, and appear again, and then the real one quickly appears, so just wait before shooting; reload the shotty after he staggers each time; and in his final phase, well, I used a rocket launcher at point blank range, lol

I agree with everything about Chapter 12 except the final boss fight. Loved the atmosphere and mood of the level itself (perhaps the best in the entire game) but hated the final boss. And yes, it really does suck that you can't replay any mission after you beat the game, or at least I'm not aware you can do it.

Top Bottom