• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

My thoughts exactly. He tricks you somehow into seeing ilusions. You can see a purple gass coming out of his mouth which, while it gives you a clear hint on who is the real one, may also explain the halucinations on chris and jill.

Oh good call, that had not occurred to me but makes a lot of sense. Although I agree with you in that I feel no need to rationalise such matters :). All I ask for with fictional worlds is that they are consistent within their own little reality. I know I am playing a game so the natural suspension of disbelief solves many ills. I don't need every little aspect of why things are as they are explained in a game. In fact that is one of my irritations with contemporary game design e.g. completely contrived story and character shoe-horned in to a game to 'explain' the gameplay :x. Super Mario, move left to right, save Princess. That's all I need to know thanks. Metroid, explore creepy alien world [inspired by the movie Alien]. That's all I need to know thanks. Samus, her feelings, baby, mothering instinct etc. Urgh.

This is more of a Circle Pad Pro thing, but damn does it make my hands feel cramped. More so than the regular 3DS. My thumbs just don't feel natural when resting on the right circle pad.

Did you just get your CPP sir? I only ask because it did take me a few hours to get used to it. Now if I pick up my 3DS without it it feels very odd. Hope you adjust soon if you persist with the CPP :).

Stage 6 in the Promenade.....God help me

EDIT: S ranking bitch!

EDIT 2: Fuck Stage 8 Abyss. Anyone know the S rank requirements for that stage?

Anteo

is the lag on the bottom screen map a design choice or a technical issue?

Frankly, no one pointed out this in the thread, so we don't really know.

Crappy Guess : They are pushing the 3ds hardware to it's
current
limits, so they probably needed to save some procesing power and decided to delay the updates to that screen unless you are solving a puzzle. Even then the framerate in the upper screen is not considered consistent enough for some people.

Gravijah

Crappy Guess : They are pushing the 3ds hardware to it's
current
limits, so they probably needed to save some procesing power and decided to delay the updates to that screen unless you are solving a puzzle. Even then the framerate in the upper screen is not considered consistent enough for some people.

that's what i figured. it's really annoying if you're trying to navigate with the map (which i do in a lot of games) because it takes forever to update.

Anteo

Oh good call, that had not occurred to me but makes a lot of sense. Although I agree with you in that I feel no need to rationalise such matters :). All I ask for with fictional worlds is that they are consistent within their own little reality. I know I am playing a game so the natural suspension of disbelief solves many ills. I don't need every little aspect of why things are as they are explained in a game. In fact that is one of my irritations with contemporary game design e.g. completely contrived story and character shoe-horned in to a game to 'explain' the gameplay :x. Super Mario, move left to right, save Princess. That's all I need to know thanks. Metroid, explore creepy alien world [inspired by the movie Alien]. That's all I need to know thanks. Samus, her feelings, baby, mothering instinct etc. Urgh.

Haven't played other m, but if it's true that they destroyed the little character samus had, then it was a bad idea to try that. And I'm sure that will make me enjoy the game a lot less.

that's what i figured. it's really annoying if you're trying to navigate with the map (which i do in a lot of games) because it takes forever to update.
Yeah, I do that a lot too. In raid mode, when I'm low on ammo and about to change weapons, I look at the bottom screen to swap to the right weapon at the very last moment, sometimes it reads 10/100 but the gun is alredy empty. It's a bit annoying, since I get hit at that point.

A classmate of mine lent me this, so I started a game tonight. I'm only an hour in but I'm really liking it so far
Hope you enjoy the full game. Btw, check out raid mode, it's awesome, it's unlocked early and never spoils any stage that you had not played. Be sure to check the achievements list to get the mode unlocked.

Wolfe

So let's talk about that bonus stage in Raid mode...How soloable is it?

I'd imagine you could get pretty far since the enemies start out at level 1 and go up from there, but at some point I'm sure ammo would become an issue.

Personally a better question would be how likely is it to end up in a game where the other person actually wants to play the level and not just farm infection missions :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd imagine you could get pretty far since the enemies start out at level 1 and go up from there, but at some point I'm sure ammo would become an issue.

Personally a better question would be how likely is it to end up in a game where the other person actually wants to play the level and not just farm infection missions :p

What are these infection missions I hear about? And why farm them?

Anteo

What are these infection missions I hear about? And why farm them?

Infection missions are missions that you randomly get by street passing somone, or playing a co-op game with them online or local. These missions give you a nice reward that can be : Ammo, Custom parts (some insane custom parts like lvl 10 something when the most I've seen in raid is lvl7) and the best weapon that the other player have.

The mission sets a random monster in a given stage to have the name of the infected (the other player). If you kill it, you get the reward.

Why farm them? to get your mission count higher, there are Missions that ask you to, for example : "Clear 100 missions" , so you need an insane amount of mission cleared to get the reward.

Oh and about the bonus stage: lvl 44 here. Got my ass handed. :3
The stage has many fake endings, one is at the very begining of it, so it is usefull to grind Infected missions

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Infection missions are missions that you randomly get by street passing somone, or playing a co-op game with them online or local. These missions give you a nice reward that can be : Ammo, Custom parts (some insane custom parts like lvl 10 something when the most I've seen in raid is lvl7) and the best weapon that the other player have.

The mission sets a random monster in a given stage to have the name of the infected (the other player). If you kill it, you get the reward.

Why farm them? to get your mission count higher, there are Missions that ask you to, for example : "Clear 100 missions" , so you need an insane amount of mission cleared to get the reward.

Oh and about the bonus stage: lvl 44 here. Got my ass handed. :3
The stage has many fake endings, one is at the very begining of it, so it is usefull to grind Infected missions

Ah OK - yeah, I do those as I play. I didn't know that's what they were called. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
damn raid mode stages get huge. just took me 42 minutes to explore 99% of stage 15.

Yikes...I never do full explore for that reason. S rank isn't dependent on it, so I don't bother!

Is there a group of people here who run raid together? I wouldn't mind a friend or two to help me finish up Trench so I can start Abyss and eventually tackle ghost ship full!

Anteo

Yikes...I never do full explore for that reason. S rank isn't dependent on it, so I don't bother!

Is there a group of people here who run raid together? I wouldn't mind a friend or two to help me finish up Trench so I can start Abyss and eventually tackle ghost ship full!

I can help you If you need it. I'm currently lvl 46, but with the "adjust your level" feature, I can get to the same level as you to make the raids more interesting.

And no, exploring the area won't get you an S rank, but if you want to kill all monsters or get all custom parts then you should do it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can help you If you need it. I'm currently lvl 46, but with the "adjust your level" feature, I can get to the same level as you to make the raids more interesting.

And no, exploring the area won't get you an S rank, but if you want to kill all monsters or get all custom parts then you should do it.

I appreciate it - I managed to find a random who helped me get through Stage 8, so I'm on 9 now. I probably shouldn't be powering through them because it's clear I'm underpowered, haha.

Anteo

I appreciate it - I managed to find a random who helped me get through Stage 8, so I'm on 9 now. I probably shouldn't be powering through them because it's clear I'm underpowered, haha.

I got lucky around stage 9-11 chasm, got a Murasama and pwned every mosnter.
That weapon was usefull until I got to around lvl 35. Now I notice I need to grid a little to try to beat the last stages.

Edit : This is my FC 3093-7127-8409

Gravijah

I got lucky around stage 9-11 chasm, got a Murasama and pwned every mosnter.
That weapon was usefull until I got to around lvl 35. Now I notice I need to grid a little to try to beat the last stages.

Edit : This is my FC 3093-7127-8409

yes, murasama is overpowered as hell. now that i'm level 20ish i've replaced it with a magnum, though.

do i need to delete completed missions?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Fuck, I always forget to
re-visit the area where you drain + purify the water
. What do you get?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So what is the general consensus? HUGE fan of the classic RE games, disapointed in RE5, but loved 4.

8-4 podcast was kinda down on this game, and haven't mentioned it further since their initial impressions. Thread is too big and too focused on RAID mode to find very effective impressions/final thoughts.

Thinking of spending the $40, but I would love some thoughts. Are the enemy types and variety as poor as some podcasts had mentioned? Is RAID mode enjoyable if I solo it? How did the campaign hold up?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So what is the general consensus? HUGE fan of the classic RE games, disapointed in RE5, but loved 4.

8-4 podcast was kinda down on this game, and haven't mentioned it further since their initial impressions. Thread is too big and too focused on RAID mode to find very effective impressions/final thoughts.

Thinking of spending the $40, but I would love some thoughts. Are the enemy types and variety as poor as some podcasts had mentioned? Is RAID mode enjoyable if I solo it? How did the campaign hold up?

Here's my latest "synopsis". For what it's worth, I literally couldn't stand RE4. I hated it. Absolutely hated it...Because I was expecting it to be RE2. :p That being said, RE:R has it's RE4 moments (and despite me loving the game as a whole, I truly hated those parts simply because they felt too much like a non-RE game). So first...

My thoughts said:
I understand why people liked RE4 (more of an action game), but personally, I can't stand it. There's nearly no "survival horror" to it, and that bothers me. Playing RE1 and 2 back when they first released, despite having rough controls, had such an overarching sense of fear to them. I mean, every step you took kept you on edge. Every bullet you fired was for VERY good reason (mainly because of lickers...).

RE:R brought a little of that back, and I'm happy it did. The Cruise Ship had a few sections of "creepiness" to it, so kudos to that. But the fact that I could go through a few clips of ammo during a staged encounter bothered me. But I realize Capcom needs to start somewhere with reintroducing the true survival horror genre, and if that's how they do it, then so be it. Shooters and action heavy games sell, and business is business. The bit of fan service they did offer in RE:R has given me a little more faith.

Given that ORC is nothing like an RE game (sorry to anyone who disagrees - as many others have said, it's SOCOM set in the RE universe), I'm hoping RE6 gives me that Raccoon City vibe again. *crosses fingers*

So basically, RE:R is a great experience overall, but it's still lacking the true survival horror that RE1 and 2 offered. RAID mode is a lot of fun, but I'm not treating it like an RE game, so it's proving to be exciting. I didn't really do Mercenaries, so I don't know how it compares, but people say it's very similar. It just feels like an action shooter to me with the RE:R enemies. It's a fun RPG action/shooter side game that adds a good amount of play-time to the final product.

If you're a fan of RE1/2, the Cruise Ship will wet your palette. You won't be full, but you'll have a good taste in your mouth. ;) Some areas of the game had a nice creepy vibe, but the fact that you'll unload a few clips of ammo during the scripted encounters and run ins can be a bit of a let down (given the nature of RE1 and 2's ammo scarcity).

Let me also say that this is my most played 3DS game and arguably my favorite. I would venture to say it's a system seller...I won't try and force you (and nobody else will!), but if you've got $40 lying around to buy a game with, and you're an RE fan, you're doing yourself no favors by passing on this.

Oh, I'll answer some of your questions, too (rather than ramble on).

Enemy variety is about what you'd expect in an RE game. I mean, RE2 had zombies, lickers, dogs, crows, plants...Uh...Other stuff? The variety was nice in how spread out the enemy types were. RE:R has what, like 10-12 different enemies (maybe more)? A few of them look similar though...That being said, you're not going to be disappointed and saying, "Damn, I wish there were [insert enemy variant here]." It plays and flows well enough where the enemy variety fits the story and what's going on.

RAID is fun, as I mentioned above. It's a different experience - don't expect a classical RE game. It's got a very huge arcade feel to it. It's more fun with a friend, but solo is still quite enjoyable.

And the story is a bit convoluted at first, but when you really sit down and go over it, it's actually not terrible. It's neat. No story spoilers, just some VERY basic plot ELEMENTS -->
I'll tag this just in case...If you laid RE1 and 2 out and compared it with RE:R, you'd find that some of what makes RE what it is is there, but there's a lot of story that's pretty clearly influenced by the gaming market trends today.
You will, as I said in that tag, see some clear influence in the story from what's selling in the gaming market right now. Maybe that's an un-fair extrapolation on my part, but I get the feeling that certain aspects of it are catered towards the age of gaming we're in at the moment.

tl;dr version If you've got $40 and enjoyed RE1/2 and <3 your 3DS, you owe it to yourself to buy and play this game.

Enemy types are interesting.It's a nice mix of zombie like enemies, parasites, fish things and so forth. When you look at past RE games there really weren't a lot of enemies in those games, anyhow. The bosses are good but few in number.

Raid mode is great if you're looking for a Mercenaries like experience(pick up and play). You have to pretty much beat the main game to see it all though. You can unlock different perks and weapons for your arsenal, each character has different perks like increased melee bonus and reload rate, and you have 3 difficulties. Also if you Streetpass or play someone online, an infected monster under that user's name will appear in a mission that you can kill for a rare weapon. They are usually pretty strong, though.

GeekyDad

how do beat mission 21 in raid mode? there's no ammo supply!

There's a perk (don't recall the name off hand, as I haven't played in a couple of weeks) that regenerates ammo every few seconds. It's especially effective on rifles that require only a shot or two to take down most tough enemies.

yes, murasama is overpowered as hell. now that i'm level 20ish i've replaced it with a magnum, though.

do i need to delete completed missions?

No, I do not believe so. I think the game automatically deletes completed missions if a new mission needs the space. However you may manually delete them to be sure if you are feeling paranoid :).

Yes. I have put 100 hours into this game in a 60 hrs Campaign, 40 hours entirely solo Raid mode split. Of course ymmv but I have found the Raid mode to be enormously entertaining playing on my own.

Still have not acquired a Maramusa yet and I'm almost done with the Abyss stages :(

:/ I wish I could gift one to you as I have a spare high level Muramasa that you could happily have. Do you re-play Raid missions? I have S ranked all of them except Abyss 15 IIRC and so have played many of them multiple times. I believe I got more than one Muramasa lv 40 something from S ranking one of the stages in Trench. Hope that helps.

I commend you for your fair and well balanced appraisal of the game sir :).

There's a perk (don't recall the name off hand, as I haven't played in a couple of weeks) that regenerates ammo every few seconds. It's especially effective on rifles that require only a shot or two to take down most tough enemies.

Cornucopia.

Wolfe

I typically fully explore the levels while in raid mode since I like picking up all of the ammo cases/custom parts but I find that it's hard to find random people online willing to full clear the levels with you. Most people seem to just want to rush through to the end and complete the thing as fast as possible.

As for the bonus stage, I tried to solo it for the first time last night (furthest I've gotten with another person was the main circular hall with the large staircase, I felt bad but I had to end the level at the medal in that room since the cable guy showed up and I had to get ready for work. Last night while working through the level I made it to the Deck before dying as I didn't know the landing pad with the UAV storage container would turn into an arena encounter with multiple waves. I made it to the zombie dog wave but was literally completely out of ammo/grenades at that point, hell just getting through all the other waves was a huge chore as it was. So yeah, definitely not solo friendly.

Just bought it and tried it for several minutes (I refuse to play it without a CCPro), but I'm very impressed by the overall quality. The sound effects are good (seriously, the surround option in the 3DS is awesome), the graphics too (is it me or Jill's ass has been designed with particular care in order to benefit from the 3D technology) and the game is subbed AND dubbed in every major langage (I find this impressive, especially with the 3DS cart storage limitations).

Anteo

how do beat mission 21 in raid mode? there's no ammo supply!

Did you run out of ammo in the middle of the mission? Or you were low on it before starting?
If it's the latter then go to the store an buy ammo. The ammo carries over your next mission so you really need to restock it.

Fucking dyslexia. -_- Fixed
Welp. You edited just after I stopped checking this thread. Will add you after work.

grumpy

Stages 15 & 18 on Abyss: Is it even possible to get an S while soloing?

I'm Lv 50, btw with a Pale Rider Lv 44 as my main.

Just bought it and tried it for several minutes (I refuse to play it without a CCPro), but I'm very impressed by the overall quality. The sound effects are good (seriously, the surround option in the 3DS is awesome), the graphics too (is it me or Jill's ass has been designed with particular care in order to benefit from the 3D technology) and the game is subbed AND dubbed in every major langage (I find this impressive, especially with the 3DS cart storage limitations).

Oh I'm sure it was :). I would not normally care to stare at a lady's posterior but it had me doing so. I think that says something.

Stages 15 & 18 on Abyss: Is it even possible to get an S while soloing?

I'm Lv 50, btw with a Pale Rider Lv 44 as my main.

It is on 18 but I haven't worked out what is required to do it on 15 yet.

grumpy

It is on 18 but I haven't worked out what is required to do it on 15 yet.

Just essed (that's aced with an S) stage 18. Then I just gave up on soloing everything and tried random online for stage 15... Man, there are some real derps floating around the internet... It also doesn't help that the game doesn't offer any form of communication other than basic one-liners. :/

Finally completed the game, some thoughts:

- Last chapter is the best callback to classic RE ambientation in a long time, not as much in execution, but not even the first sections of the ship could compare to them. Also last boss was quite good, not RE4 good mind you, but it's probably better than most RE5 bosses.

- Overall the ship sections were the best, cool atmosphere, some nice tidbits of horror and the design didn't suck ass....exactly, actually for the most part the level design is quite bad, at least the gameplay makes for it, althought we lose melee moves and other things the new enemies are quite fun to fight. Somehow the overall package comes as quite satysfing.

- Chapters outside of ship sucked balls, is like they put zero effort in them: straight linear path and incredible weak wave fights. They will remain on my mind as some of the worse sections in any mainline RE.

- Spectacular graphics,
giant whale-monster fight was something to behold

- Music is decent enough, but it receives special mention for the tracks on the last chapter.

- Raid mode is surprsingly fun, but I miss Merc mode or leech hunter from RE0.

Overall I think the game is a 7.5/10 for me. I seriously had higher expectations but after all is a quite good game, but I think Capcom is in trouble if they plan to put such shameless and low quality level design in RE6, after playing some chapters in revelations the game could have ended as a total disaster, so I fear a bit for RE6 quality.

Anteo

Great Impresions, my comments on some points :
- Overall the ship sections were the best, cool atmosphere, some nice tidbits of horror and the design didn't suck ass....exactly, actually for the most part the level design is quite bad, at least the gameplay makes for it, althought we lose melee moves and other things the new enemies are quite fun to fight. Somehow the overall package comes as quite satysfing.
Uh? I've been meeleing the shit out of Oozes. It's especially usefull in Raid.

- Chapters outside of ship sucked balls, is like they put zero effort in them: straight linear path and incredible weak wave fights. They will remain on my mind as some of the worse sections in any mainline RE.

I think it was on purpose, and the first time in normal, hell and non herb casual where pretty chalenging to me at least.

Overall I think the game is a 7.5/10 for me. I seriously had higher expectations but after all is a quite good game, but I think Capcom is in trouble if they plan to put such shameless and low quality level design in RE6, after playing some chapters in revelations the game could have ended as a total disaster, so I fear a bit for RE6 quality.

After Capcoms comments on how they want the COD crowd to play Resident Evil and that they will adjust the game to get that crowd... Well lets say that Revelaitons (probably) is the last good RE game =/

Anteo

Holy shit, they said this? :( :( :( :(

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this =/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467489

However, we don't know if this will affect RE6 at all. I hope it doesn't

Edit : Oh wait, It does!

untitled-71o2pk5.gif

VALKYRAY

Banned
Did you run out of ammo in the middle of the mission? Or you were low on it before starting?
If it's the latter then go to the store an buy ammo. The ammo carries over your next mission so you really need to restock it.

i did restock before starting the mission 21, I didnt see any ammo laying around except one shock or pulse grenade before i dive into water. by the time i get there, i completely ran out of ammo so I didnt bother to move forward.

nikatapi

&#921; just finished the game. Probably the best thing i've played on my 3DS. It is truly a must buy for every 3ds owner. Some much quality content packed in, it puts many console games to shame.

So uh...

Norman on Hell Mode is kicking my ass on his third form. I am almost always out of ammo at that point (or I don't have enough to finish him off). But I guess I should try saving my shotgun for his final form to stagger that asshole running move that always murders me.

Goddamn I wish I had a rocket launcher and some magnum bullets.

Put in nearly 24hrs into Raid Mode. O_O

S ranked all the stages except for Stage 21 which I have not completed

At Level 49

Still don't have that fucking Maramusa! >_<

EDIT: S ranked Ghost Ship and at Level 50

WHERE'S MY FUCKING MARAMUSA DAMMIT?!

So uh...

Norman on Hell Mode is kicking my ass on his third form. I am almost always out of ammo at that point (or I don't have enough to finish him off). But I guess I should try saving my shotgun for his final form to stagger that asshole running move that always murders me.

Goddamn I wish I had a rocket launcher and some magnum bullets.

That tactic should help but remember that you are invincible when you are in the process of opening the weapon crate and/or have the weapon crate open. Also, if you back into a corner so he cannot get behind you, that can help with that phase.

Good luck! :)

Top Bottom