• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Huge spoilers ahoy.

Finished the game the other day and I have to say it's probably my second favorite RE ever. I was so relieved when Parker didn't die, best new character in the franchise, I want to play a game with him going after Jessica now. They set it up for a sequel so good. I was really surprised that you never actually got to play as Jessica. Also, in case you didn't notice, Rachel isn't dead by the end of the game. The last time you kill her she's stays in a knocked out state, her corpse doesn't disappear. I think it would be interesting if they brought her into another game somehow. Whenever she popped up in the game in those sequences where I guess you're supposed to run, I killed her, every time, I hate the tension of something chasing me. lol

After the Zenobia was toast I was wondering if there was any special stuff I missed. Things like the pool, which I managed to purify and I collected all the goods from it on the last possible chance lol. I think the last boss was okay but by that point the whole dodge mechanic to win premise was kinda old. If there is a sequel they definitely need to spice up the boss encounters. Strangely enough I liked the turret segments in this game since they were a nice break from all the confined environments.

I can't believe Brad and Patrick from Giant Bomb are so lukewarm about the game, I loved every second. Is there some repetition? Yeah, but on the whole I had a great time. And I've barely even touched Raid mode. Think I might go through the game on a harder difficulty first and try to get some more missions done.

For me this was the game that justified my 3DS purchase. Simply a great game packed with content.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Oh I just realized you can unlock Raid mode just based on the chapters you completed. How many are there? I'm think I'm on 6, and I'm almost 5 hours in. Guess I'm going slow, but I'm really enjoying it

hayejin

I can't find this game anywhere. All the stores doesn't seem to have it in stock. What's up with that

All three best buys I went today for gamer coupon deals had plenty of copies. one store had some stacked on those shitty stuff stack near the checkout wait line. All copies were ones with correct spelling.

Gambit

Regarding the final boss:

It has been said many times in this thread how the "dodge mechanic" is forced on you during the last battle. I have to say, I find it somewhat baffling. Admittedly, the last boss took me several tries, but I did not dodge at all.

His pattern seemed rather obvious, so it was more of a waiting game. When he was walking around, even walking directly at me, I would stand still and ready my shotgun/later Magnum. Then he would teleport and I would look around me until I saw the version with the purple gas coming out of its mouth. A blast to the face always stopped its attack.

In the beginning, I even had enough time to shoot him twice with the sniper rifle to stop the attack.

The last boss was a test of my patience more than it was of my dodging skills.

Am I the only one who used that approach?

On the plus side, most folks farming missions usually set their level to 1 as an indication of what they're doing. Just look out for that if you're actually wanting to play through Ghost Ship. Of course, it's no guarantee from my experience, but most of the time that's how folks do it online.

Well that's not so bad then; thanks :).

Neiteio

Yeah guys, you don't need to dodge on the final boss. I've beaten the boss without dodging. Just shoot the heart of the real one (purple gas) with a shotgun and it'll stop him cold.

tkscz

Regarding the final boss:

It has been said many times in this thread how the "dodge mechanic" is forced on you during the last battle. I have to say, I find it somewhat baffling. Admittedly, the last boss took me several tries, but I did not dodge at all.

His pattern seemed rather obvious, so it was more of a waiting game. When he was walking around, even walking directly at me, I would stand still and ready my shotgun/later Magnum. Then he would teleport and I would look around me until I saw the version with the purple gas coming out of its mouth. A blast to the face always stopped its attack.

In the beginning, I even had enough time to shoot him twice with the sniper rifle to stop the attack.

The last boss was a test of my patience more than it was of my dodging skills.

Am I the only one who used that approach?

Yeah that was my experience. The only thing I did different was
save that rocket launcher you find when the ship is filling with water. There really isn't a reason to use it ANY time before then.

As for the quick leveling/BP trick I was talking about,
Did some more test and Found that this trick doesn't really work with leveling after about 3 - 5 level ups. For this to work, you'll first need 2 of your STRONGEST magnums, and one of those MUST be a M. Hawk. The other can be a python or pale rider. If you're on level 25 - 38, this will help you level faster. Go to the beach level on Trench using ONLY the two magnums. Use the M. Hawk for the normal sized and small beach vaginas, and either Revolver you have for the giant ones. While doing this you MUST do these three things PERFECTLY.
1. Kill the mutant puffer fish.
2. Don't miss a single shot, not even towards the puffer fish.
3. Don't get hit.
If you do all these things, you will get three bonus scores
1. Genocide for killing everything
2. Perfect shot for not missiong
3. Perfect health for not getting touched.
Getting all 3 bonus scores gets you a fourth bonus score, Trinity, which gives you a TON of BP. This always gives you a lot of exp as well.

If you're on any level above 38, this trick will no longer help you level. You'll get exp, but not you won't level from doing this trick once or twice anymore. For those above level 38, use the same trick on the boss stage of Trench. It's harder to pull off but when you do, you're reward is a whopping 83,000 BP.

But if you've been playing for awhile, this tip is useless, so to those new to raid mode, hopes this helps.

Effect

Ugh. This final boss is really annoying me. I've got the pattern down but still keep dying. Maybe I should save the shotgun for later in the fight instead of using it at the start. Though I don't want to use up rifle ammo to soon. That is unless it's better not to use it later in the fight?

Think I'll try one more time tonight and then call it a day. Getting really frustrated that it's taking so long. I wish I could downgrade the difficulty from normal to easy just to get this over with.

RoylAsult

is this game worth the 60? (20 for the CPP) i played the demo and it was enjoyable but how does the rest of the game hold up?

only RE i played was 5 and hated it because i hate the fact that you can move and shoot and also the whole have 0 ammo the entire game got kinda old fast

Ugh. This final boss is really annoying me. I've got the pattern down but still keep dying. Maybe I should save the shotgun for later in the fight instead of using it at the start. Though I don't want to use up rifle ammo to soon. That is unless it's better not to use it later in the fight?

Think I'll try one more time tonight and then call it a day. Getting really frustrated that it's taking so long. I wish I could downgrade the difficulty from normal to easy just to get this over with.

I cheated.
I kept a rocket from chapter 7. I got him down to work Chris makes his second comment about the boss. Then, I let the boss hit me so I could hit him with the rocket when he was frozen. Then, the boss died and all was good.

is this game worth the 60? (20 for the CPP) i played the demo and it was enjoyable but how does the rest of the game hold up?

only RE i played was 5 and hated it because i hate the fact that you can move and shoot and also the whole have 0 ammo the entire game got kinda old fast

If you were having problems with ammo in RE5, none of the resident evils would be up your alley. Also, you can't move and shoot as far as I know in Resident Evil 5 which is what I assume you meant. In RE:R, you can move and shoot, but you'll have harder problems with ammo in this game cause it's quite a bit more conservative than RE 4 and RE 5 though not as conservative as RE1, RE2, RE3, or RE:CV.

Rocket Launcher once he is on his knees? Equip a Shotgun with charge/double shot?

RoylAsult

If you were having problems with ammo in RE5, none of the resident evils would be up your alley. Also, you can't move and shoot as far as I know in Resident Evil 5 which is what I assume you meant. In RE:R, you can move and shoot, but you'll have harder problems with ammo in this game cause it's quite a bit more conservative than RE 4 and RE 5 though not as conservative as RE1, RE2, RE3, or RE:CV.

yeah i meant cant, it just looks so good though lol. how long is the single player? and what is there to do after you beat it?

Effect

I cheated.
I kept a rocket from chapter 7. I got him down to work Chris makes his second comment about the boss. Then, I let the boss hit me so I could hit him with the rocket when he was frozen. Then, the boss died and all was good.

Thanks. :) I had forgotten about that. Just beat the it.

olimpia84

Why 60? I completed the game without the CPP and thought it controlled great; I really don't see the need for it. You can move and shoot at the same time if you press L and R or you can use gyro controls. Regardless of your control preference, you should definitely get this game. It's fun and the online raid mode is addicting as hell and offers great replay value.

RoylAsult

Why 60? I completed the game without the CPP and thought it controlled great; I really don't see the need for it. You can move and shoot at the same time if you press L and R or you can use gyro controls. Regardless of your control preference, you should definitely get this game. It's fun and the online raid mode is addicting as hell and offers great replay value.

just feel like i would enjoy it more with the CPP, plus i feel like im going to need it eventually anyway

Effect

Overall a great experience. The first Resident Evil game I've fully played. If there is a sequel I'm there without a doubt. Plan on getting more into the raid mode but I think I need a break from the style of game for a while.

Anteo

just feel like i would enjoy it more with the CPP, plus i feel like im going to need it eventually anyway

Then you sholdn't think it's worth 60, since the first 40 is the game and the other 20 is for this and any other game that use the cpp later on the road.

And I don't think you will enjoy this game, if you had problems with ammo in RE5, this will be hell for you. As for the lenght of the game, 8-12 hours, depending on how good you are at conserving ammo, familiar with the playstyle and how good you are.

Vamphuntr

Beat the single player today. I enjoyed the game a lot although the game does have many issues. I really liked how it goes back to the root of the series. Explorations and puzzles are back and you have to conserve ammo. I also loved the weapon customization system in the game. It's much more strategic and logical than the merchant in 4 or the random shopping in the middle of nowhere of 5. Some of the illegal custom parts are really overpowered though.

On the difficulty front, I found the game challenging but pretty fair. The only times I died was because of my stupidity and not because the game was cheap. Most of these deaths were at boss battles and once you find the pattern of the bosses the fights become really easy. I had A or S for all of the missions.

Overall the atmosphere and the feeling of dread and panic were really well done in Jill's episodes. I was on the edge of my seat during the parts where
you have a time limit and you bump into Rachael and all these flood of monsters

Also I don't think the final boss was hard at all and you don't even have to dodge to beat him. I used my rifle with the Damage UP + 60% and Long Magazine and it would stun the boss when you fire at him at point blank. When he uses his illusion, simply fire at the one with the purple smoke to stun him.

As for what I didnt like :

-I found the flashbacks and the Quint/Keith parts to be really dreadful. These chapters all boil down to fighting waves and waves of B.O.W. . I also felt they stretched the game a bit as they were a chore to play.

-The partner AI is definitely worse than in RE 5. Most of the time they don't do much and they don't even rescue you if an enemy grip you or when you fall on the floor. They also often don't even fire at the monsters that are attacking you directly and preferring instead to fire at a B.O.W. far away from you. It's weird that since you spend 85% of the game with a partner that they didn't code an optional full coop mode. It would have been much better than playing with the AI.

-The story didn't feel like a RE story. It felt like I was playing a Metal Gear game. It was like it took place in an entirely different universe than the other RE games.

-Some of the puzzles were reptitive, I'm talking about you door opening mechanisms requiring the screwdriver and the touch screen.

Will try Raid mode when I'm done with ME3. Hopefully we ge another RE game like that as they are more appealing to me than what RE is shaping up to be.

-The partner AI is definitely worse than in RE 5. Most of the time they don't do much and they don't even rescue you if an enemy grip you or when you fall on the floor. They also often don't even fire at the monsters that are attacking you directly and preferring instead to fire at a B.O.W. far away from you.

The game would be too easy if they were worth a shit as partners.

I kept using the dodge mechanic during that fight because he has a huge ass glowy thing on his back that looks like an obvious weak point. Shooting him front on in his external heart didn't seem to do much at range. =/

Wolfe

I didn't mind the flashback or other teammates sections but the Terragrigia ones were the most irritating if only for lack of ammo. I really like Keith and Quint as characters so I enjoyed their parts but I just wish you could use custom parts during those sections as well although I'm not sure how they would do it without having each sections weapons/mods bleed into the others.

The final boss fight was somewhat of a let down when you look at it after having completed it but overall I didn't mind, seemed to go with the story and how that particular character had developed up to that point I guess.

I've still only barely done any of my casual no herb run (I think I'm on chapter 3) cause I keep getting distracted by raid mode, so much more fun for me than mercs was. I think my main problem with Mercs was the low ammo and time limit factor. I'd much rather not worry about ammo and time and just have a blast trying to survive all these countless waves of BOWs. Also I don't mind not being able to swap perks as it's nice to have something other than character skins affect the selection choice. Especially since the perks in this game have less of an impact on the gameplay than the ones in Mercs (I think? been a while since I've played it, prolly wrong.)

HYDE

Banned
Notice something wrong?

IMG_0511.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

VALKYRAY

Banned
The game was OK, then it turned into a nightmare on chapter 7, so hard. but I managed to beat it.

also, why is "Revelations" spelled with an extra "i" inside it on the thread title??

VALKYRAY

Banned
I just beat the game but something I felt really strange. I did not see any cutscene like the TGS 2011 trailer showing how Rachel become a zombie. Its not part of the game?

also, how do you unlock Long Magazine 7 and Damage 6? are they raid mode exclusive?

glaurung

Sorry for the kinda off-topic question, but:

Resident Evil Raccoon City is coming out in less than two weeks. Where's the hype? Does GAF have no love for it or do we somehow know it will be a huge flop?

Isn't anyone doing an OT?

GeekyDad

Sorry for the kinda off-topic question, but:

Resident Evil Raccoon City is coming out in less than two weeks. Where's the hype? Does GAF have no love for it or do we somehow know it will be a huge flop?

Isn't anyone doing an OT?

You mean SOCOM: Raccoon City? Meh...

OMFG stop putting shit rail shooter segments into Resident Evil games. Fucking shit, absofuckinglutely fucking shit!

Just wait--there's more. The last half of this game really soured me on the whole thing; all of the pieces are in place for a solid game, but most of what they attempted isn't executed very well.

This week I give in and bought a 3DS and the game. I'm really liking it, but I read in this thread that the ship parts were a callback of the classic RE style and how far from reality it is, it has a bit of the feel of a classic RE but it's really linear and with very limited exploration with really simple puzzles. The structure is there but really simplified, I'm aware it probably fits better the gameplay on a handheld, but some of you really get my hopes up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This week I give in and bought a 3DS and the game. I'm really liking it, but I read in this thread that the ship parts were a callback of the classic RE style and how far from reality it is, it has a bit of the feel of a classic RE but it's really linear and with very limited exploration with really simple puzzles. The structure is there but really simplified, I'm aware it probably fits better the gameplay on a handheld, but some of you really get my hopes up.

Indeed. I enjoyed Revelations quite a bit (mostly Raid Mode), but it's nothing like the original games in the series. You unload more ammo in a single chapter than you would in the entire REmake. And that said, I don't like the chapter break down. It makes it feel very disconnected, one to another, and less exploration than other titles.

Indeed. I enjoyed Revelations quite a bit (mostly Raid Mode), but it's nothing like the original games in the series. You unload more ammo in a single chapter than you would in the entire REmake. And that said, I don't like the chapter break down. It makes it feel very disconnected, one to another, and less exploration than other titles.

I wouldn't have much problem if the chapters outside of the ship were better designed, most of them are just corridors filled with enemies, not even a bit of variety to spice things a bit. RE5 got a lot of hate for much less.

Davey Cakes

The ship doesn't replicate the old games, but it definitely serves as a callback environment-wise.

This is still an action-oriented Resident Evil game, but it's more subdued, and does capture the "feel" of the the classic series+4 pretty well, and strikes a good balance.

They could definitely afford to make it even more survival-oriented, though.

I wouldn't have much problem if the chapters outside of the ship were better designed, most of them are just corridors filled with enemies, not even a bit of variety to spice things a bit. RE5 got a lot of hate for much less.
RE5 was an entire game's worth of unspectacular shooting sections. Okay, that's hyperbole; even RE5 had its peaks.

With Revelations, the side parts are a small piece of the game, so they're more forgivable even though they're not particularly interesting. I'd rather see them scrapped for the next game though, with more focus put on the "main" area of the game. Revelations' strength was definitely the ship, and improving the "main" area with more non-linearity for next time would be nice, rather than including unnecessary side-sequences.

Alchemy

How rare is the typo case? I figured they would have fixed it on newer prints, but Toys R Us sent me the one with a typo and now I'm really tempted to leave it sealed. But I wanted to play it :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'm only just about through Chapter 3, but this feels like the case. The hyper-action portions really bother me (I couldn't stand RE4 or 5 because they weren't RE1 or 2), so that's a bit of a disappointment. That being said, the ship has been, so far, the closest thing to the classic RE in a LONG time, so it's a welcome adventure. Hopefully it continues like this!

I would LOVE to see the next RE game on the 3DS (please...) continue to make that shift back to the classic RE feel. After I finish this one, I'll have a better idea overall of my opinion, but it sounds like I'm about where I thought I'd be - better feeling than 4, but still not quite 2.

Wolfe

I'm only just about through Chapter 3, but this feels like the case. The hyper-action portions really bother me (I couldn't stand RE4 or 5 because they weren't RE1 or 2), so that's a bit of a disappointment. That being said, the ship has been, so far, the closest thing to the classic RE in a LONG time, so it's a welcome adventure. Hopefully it continues like this!

I would LOVE to see the next RE game on the 3DS (please...) continue to make that shift back to the classic RE feel. After I finish this one, I'll have a better idea overall of my opinion, but it sounds like I'm about where I thought I'd be - better feeling than 4, but still not quite 2.

I would love if they ported any or all of the previous titles onto the 3DS.

olimpia84

How rare is the typo case? I figured they would have fixed it on newer prints, but Toys R Us sent me the one with a typo and now I'm really tempted to leave it sealed. But I wanted to play it :(

Very rare. It was the first print and it was released in low quantities due to the typo.

zoukka

Yeah I never really got into this game. All the pieces are there, but something just doesn't click at all...

The story isn't interesting in any way. I'm not attached to the characters like I was in other RE games. Same goes to the enemies which are bland and just annoying to fight. Like I never know when they stagger or just randomly wave around and the dodging is just fucking stupid. The level design is ok, but nothing to remember the game for. I just started the third episode and when the first waves of enemies came I saw what this episode is about... sigh.

It's a quality production for sure and the graphics are ok, but this game just falls flat on every level for me. And goddamn I still need to play if I want to try out the Raid mode :|

Anteo

Yeah I never really got into this game. All the pieces are there, but something just doesn't click at all...

The story isn't interesting in any way. I'm not attached to the characters like I was in other RE games. Same goes to the enemies which are bland and just annoying to fight. Like I never know when they stagger or just randomly wave around and the dodging is just fucking stupid. The level design is ok, but nothing to remember the game for. I just started the third episode and when the first waves of enemies came I saw what this episode is about... sigh.

It's a quality production for sure and the graphics are ok, but this game just falls flat on every level for me. And goddamn I still need to play if I want to try out the Raid mode :|

The staggering is pretty obvious, like really really obvious. I didn't notice until my second playthrough. It took a while to learn how to stagger enemies, or how to make them fall to the ground. My advice? Play some Raid Mode and try aiming to diferent parts of the body, or if you want a more direct answer :

Aim for the arms, take both down and the enemy will stagger, you'll notice when an arm is down, the enemy won't be able to lift it again for a while. If you do it right the Ooze will stick out its tonge and stand in place for a while, enough for a fully charged melee atack

Aim for the legs, a few good shots will make them fall to the floor. While on the floor, aim for the head, for massive damage.

I just finished my Non Herb run, and just like in my Hell run, the dodge saved my life a lot. Enemies in hell are a real treat, the very first Ooze can kill you if you don't use a shotgun or a Machine gun.

Top Bottom