• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Ken

lazybones18 said:
What's the deal with unlocking more skills? I'm up to Level 4 and I still only have two skills unlocked (Medic and something else)
Most are tied with beating a mission with a certain letter grade.

kiryogi

Banned
I can down the Garrador with one shot given I have a clean opening. Having phone issues? XD

edit: odd . . . Seems to DC after starting.

Ken

kiryogi said:
I can down the Garrador with one shot given I have a clean opening. Having phone issues? XD

edit: odd . . . Seems to DC after starting.
Are you DCing or am I DCing? I'm getting sent back to the online lobby so I don't think my wifi is cutting out.

kiryogi

Banned
Ken said:
Are you DCing or am I DCing? I'm getting sent back to the online lobby so I don't think my wifi is cutting out.
Seems like I'm DC-ing? I get sent back too after saying it lost connection with other player. Odd. Lemme try reconnecting

And up

Ken

kiryogi said:
Okay, I give up for now. Think it's a sign to take a break or something. We'll get EX-1 yet!
Tried joining a global game and that worked fine. Not sure what's up with running Ex-1.

Thinking about the Red9 load out, I wonder if Leon was originally planned to be in the game with that load out but was cut for whatever reason.

Lonely1 said:
Is there a guide for that?

From another forum:
Skill Name
Description (percent bonus)
Level 3 bonus (percent bonus)
Other bonuses (percent bonus)
Level 2 XP / Level 3 XP
Unlock Requirement

Medic
Easier to regain health (50%)
Gain a little health with a critical
Herb drop rate increased (10%)
4000 / 10000
Finish mission 1-3 with B rank or better

Toughness
Reduce damage taken (25%)
Increase combo time when defeat an enemy (+0.5 second)
Revive yourself more quickly (40%)
4000 / 10000
Earn the Like a Phoenix medal (recover from dying 50 times)

Luck
More difficult to be one-shot killed (60%)
Extends effect to partner
No other effect
4000 / 10000
Unknown; unlock the Medic skill?

Handgun Technique
Improved handgun handling (80%)
Easier to get criticals (30%)
Increased reload speed (30%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 4-1 with B rank or better

Handgun Custom
Increase performance of handguns (30%)
Increase power of all weapons (8%)
Increase clip size (50%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission EX-1 with B rank or better

Shotgun Technique
Use of shotguns improves (80%)
Reduce damage taken (10%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-1 with S rank or better

Shotgun Custom
Increase performance of shotguns (30%)
Easier to regain health (15%)
Increase clip size (50%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission EX-5 with B rank or better

Machine Gun Technique
Use of machine guns improves (80%)
Strengthens melee (15%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 4-3 with B rank or better(?)

Machine Gun Custom
Increase performance of machine guns (30%)
Increase range of explosions (10%)
Increase clip size (50%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission EX-2 with B rank or better

Rifle Technique
Use of rifles improves (80%)
Strengthens melee (15%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-1 with B rank or better

Magnum Technique
Use of magnums improves (80%)
More difficult to be one-shot killed (30%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-2 with S rank or better(?)

Bomber
Use of explosives improves (30%)
Reduce damage taken (10%)
Grenades are more powerful (30%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-2 with B rank or better

Combat
Strengthens melee (40%)
Faster reloading for all weapons (10%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 4-2 with S rank or better(?)

Smart Reload
Faster reloading for all weapons (20%)
Can reload while in other animations
9000 / 16000
Finish mission EX-4 with B rank or better

Technician
Use of all weapons improves (40%)
Easier to regain health (15%)
Increased rate of fire for all weapons (15%)
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-3 with S rank or better

Full Burst
Strengthens all weapons (15%)
Extends effect to partner
Increased critical rate (30%)
Cannot be leveled
Finish mission EX-6 with B rank or better

Weapon Master
Strengthens all skills that affect weapons, but makes it hard to heal
More difficult to be one-shot killed (30%)
Decreases health regained (-40%)
17000 / 32000
Finish mission EX-8 with B rank or better
Note: weapon-related skills all have double the effect

Reversal
Can do a strong melee when health is low
Increase ammo capacity for all weapons (20%)
No other effect
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-4 with S rank or better(?)

weapons (10%)
No other effect
17000/ 32000
Finish mission 4-5 with S rank or better(?)

Adrenaline
When taking damage makes it difficult for the combo timer to expire (+2 seconds)
After taunting increase strength for a while (60% / 6 seconds)
No other effect
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 5-4 with B rank or better

Extension
When remaining time is low makes it difficult for the combo timer to expire (+3 seconds)
When remaining time is low health auto-regenerates (time under 30 seconds)
No other effect
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 4-1 with S rank or better(?)

Lucky 7
Defeating enemies when a 7 is in the timer gives you a time bonus (+1/2/3 seconds)
Faster repeat fire for all weapons (10%)
No other effect
15000 / 22000
Finish mission 5-3 with B rank or better

Close Range
When defeating an enemy in close quarters makes it difficult for the combo timer to expire (+2 seconds)
After taunting increase strength for a while (60% / 6 seconds)
No other effect
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 4-3 with A rank or better(?)

Old School
Invincibility frames when picking up items (2 seconds)
Can reload during other animations
No other effect
15000 / 22000
Finish mission EX-3 with B rank or better

Landing
Easier to stomp on enemies when you jump off something (60%)
Increased ammo capacity for all weapons (20%)
Deals 200 damage to enemies upon landing
4000 / 10000
Finish mission 4-4 with S rank or better

Breeder
Easier to develop skills (20% / 40% / 50%)
Strengthens skills that affect weapons (20%)
No other effect
9000 / 16000
Finish mission 4-4 with B rank or better(?)

Friendship
Health auto-regenerates when partner is close by
Increase power for all weapons (8%)
No other effect
Cannot be leveled
Earn the Caravan medal (play Duo mode 50 times)

Thunderbolt
Adds lightning property to melee
Affects a wider area
Melee power increased 20%, lightning also applies to the knife
17000 / 32000
Finish mission EX-7 with B rank or better

Infinity 7
Use an infinite rocket launcher, but score will be 0 (D-rank)
No listed level 3 bonus, but you become invincible except for instant death attacks
No other effects
9000 / 16000
Obtain 30 or more S ranks?

Maximum Bonuses

Skills stack together up to a certain point.
There is a cap on the maximum percent bonus you can receive.

Attack power (includes melee) - 60% each
Reload speed - 60% each
Rate of fire - 60% each
Crit chance - 100% each
Larger explosions - 50%
Increased defense - 25%
Chance to avoid instant death - 100%
Attack power increase after taunting - 60%
Combo time extension - up to 4 seconds

Trying 4-1 now and I can already tell I'm gonna have a hard time with this (more interested in getting a max combo than anything else)

Shoot an enemy while they are already on the ground and I can't perform a ground melee attack is what I hate the most

EDIT: DA FUCK?! A bunch of electric rounds, upper combos, & some pistol shots, and that fucking Garrador still wouldn't go down! At least the electric rounds are useful for weakening the zealots enough to kill them with melee attacks

Sadist

Lol, I'm using Becky for everything right now. A Garrador goes down after two explosive rounds and a few machinegun bullets to the back.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Tried online for first time. I could host without problems, but I tried several times to connect to a game and failed. Is this normal?

lazybones18 said:
Trying 4-1 now and I can already tell I'm gonna have a hard time with this (more interested in getting a max combo than anything else)

Shoot an enemy while they are already on the ground and I can't perform a ground melee attack is what I hate the most

EDIT: DA FUCK?! A bunch of electric rounds, upper combos, & some pistol shots, and that fucking Garrador still wouldn't go down! At least the electric rounds are useful for weakening the zealots enough to kill them with melee attacks
Hit it on the back.

SmithnCo

Lonely1 said:
Tried online for first time. I could host without problems, but I tried several times to connect to a game and failed. Is this normal?

It could be that other people got in the game before you did, you have to be kinda quick to pick and join games.

MooMoo

Decided to put Pokemon Black on hold since I hate the pre-elite 4 grinding. Finally unlocked the EX missions! And the credits music is pretty sweet. I guess I'll add a few more minor impressions after playing it a little bit more:

1. Wow you guys have some good high scores. Granted, I've only played through each level once (well, multiple times I've failed, but the scores on the Google Docs are the scores for my first actual finish of that level) but damn. I've got to actually play with you guys sometime haha.
2. I sort of wish there was an option to just have one set of skills across all characters. I don't know how everyone else is approaching it, but I'm just starting to mix and match characters and it's sort of annoying when I want to level up a particular set of skills. It's not like it's terrible the way it's set up and I know COD has the same type of setup (different perks for each character), it's just something I think would be nice to have. A minor annoyance at most.
3. Initially I thought strafing would be really stupid. But after getting to the higher levels I find it's actually the exact opposite; extremely helpful. Sniper+strafe ftw?
4. I think the FOV is just under what I find comfortable for this type of game. Sometimes I will think I saw something out of the corner of my eye and when I turn around there's nothing there. However, I only notice this when I have to scavenge for enemies, which on most maps, isn't usually an issue.
5. As for hand cramping, they do get cramped but I only notice it in between looking for games. I guess all the adrenaline sort of numbs it out during actual gameplay.
6. The ship map, not surprisingly, sucks. I only like the 4-5 ship map since it's wave-based. I also have a natural distaste for the lava map.
7. Online holds up really well. There's the weird initial "can't connect to internet" but other than that it's really easy to connect to a game. I've run into a few scrubs, but most of the random people I've played with have a general sense of what to do (i.e. melees for extra time, how to kill the bosses, etc.). Lag has been a non-issue and the only time I've seen a major FPS hit was when a barrel, grenade, and rocket launcher exploded at the same time.
8. I guess as my final impressions ever before I go back to blasting some ganados I'll just repeat what I said before. The core gameplay is definitely here and it's just the little things that are subtracting from the overall package. But in the end, the pros still outweigh the cons and I think this is a solid game regardless of all the criticism it gets.

Ken

MooMoo said:
Decided to put Pokemon Black on hold since I hate the pre-elite 4 grinding. Finally unlocked the EX missions! And the credits music is pretty sweet.
That reminds me I should go finish my play through on White.

But for now, anyone up for some games?

Blargh 149 combo on 4-1. I wish the game would at least mark where the last enemy or chicken is.

Sadist said:
Btw guys, can someone help me with 5-5? Seriously, a BOW and a few Hammer guys are cramping my style. Which character would be the best as a beginner?

Use Krauser weapons: crowd control the first wave spamming arrows (you can kill an hammer hulk with a dozen of them) then when appear the scorpion boss, use a BOW/exploding barrel/dying giant and then shoot the bazooka twice on its weak point: if you are lucky, you'll kill it.

And if you want SS the mission... I'm not so expert, sorry!

MooMoo

Oh wow. So I never realized the --/-- meant that you could score separately for each costume type per character. As a perfectionist, this is gonna bug me a lot lol. It's a good thing I love this game.

So I have a new issue: so you know what your high score is, but you don't know which character-costume combination it was. They could have at least color-coded the one rank so you could know this fact. Or better yet, keep track of high scores for each characters. I guess this complaint goes hand-in-hand with the no leaderboards complaint. Sort of lazy, since storing a bunch of numbers isn't that hard to do.

Ken

MooMoo said:
So I have a new issue: so you know what your high score is, but you don't know which character-costume combination it was. They could have at least color-coded the one rank so you could know this fact. Or better yet, keep track of high scores for each characters. I guess this complaint goes hand-in-hand with the no leaderboards complaint. Sort of lazy, since storing a bunch of numbers isn't that hard to do.
Since there's no way to know which character-costume combo it was, just tell everyone that asks that you used Patriot Barry for all your high scores.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dam, how many points i need to S rank 4-5? I got 170k put started to run since I was scared of the chainsaws instant kills...

Reclaimer

Having lots of fun. Too bad Capcom shit themselves in the foot with the silly single save slot. (and reminding you of it by having you click through "SAVED!" screens every chance they get)

This game didn't really start until around level 4/5. Now it's the mercs I remember from the consoles.

Edit: thank iOS for auto correcting shot to shit. Lolz apple.

Sadist

Lonely1 said:
Dam, how many points i need to S rank 4-5? I got 170k put started to run since I was scared of the chainsaws instant kills...
Over 200. So... you'll need to treach wave 13 or something like that. The chainsaw dudes are pretty simple. Don't rush in, just pick them off one at a time.

edbrat

got this, am enjoying it have unlocked the EX missions and am working my way through as well as going back and working on earlier levels....but it made me want to play RE5 Mercs again, so I did this afternoon for a few hours. And damnit I think I might have ruined the DS experience, being able to talk to your partner makes so much difference and it is just so much more visceral.

I'm glad I have Mercs 3D for when I'm out and about but at home I think I will be defaulting to RE5 Mercs. Still a few people hanging around online, just felt soooooo good even after year or so. I'm so much better at it than the DS version too still :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
edbrat said:
got this, am enjoying it have unlocked the EX missions and am working my way through as well as going back and working on earlier levels....but it made me want to play RE5 Mercs again, so I did this afternoon for a few hours. And damnit I think I might have ruined the DS experience, being able to talk to your partner makes so much difference and it is just so much more visceral.

I'm glad I have Mercs 3D for when I'm out and about but at home I think I will be defaulting to RE5 Mercs. Still a few people hanging around online, just felt soooooo good even after year or so. I'm so much better at it than the DS version too still :(

Yeah I hear ya. 3DS version is very nice, but I'm hoping this game will help more people discover RE5 Mercs and realize what an awesome game Mercs is. If anyone wants to play RE5 Mercs on PC send me a FR :)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can't get higher than a C on 5-3 I got B on all other levels, I might have to co-op mode this, been on shift and haven't had much time to play on-line..also why does the game way to get good towards the end?

Man, I love the special loadout. Using that with Full Burst, Thunderbolt and Old School. Being able to reload while using a melee attack or climbing a ladder etc. is awesome.

edbrat

isamu said:
Yeah I hear ya. 3DS version is very nice, but I'm hoping this game will help more people discover RE5 Mercs and realize what an awesome game Mercs is. If anyone wants to play RE5 Mercs on PC send me a FR :)

hey isamu, XBL RE5 Mercs is pretty quiet nowadays I am ebtemp, might be on in 5-6 hours time after work and then am super busy for a week or so, so no home console time so guess its lucky I have Mercs 3D!

Thought occurred to me this am, will RE4 HD version come with that version of Mercs in HD? I am getting it anyway obviously but that would be a pretty sweet add on.

MooMoo

Omg some of these earlier missions are stupidly hard to SS. Can't do 3-2 for the life of me. Using knife loadout.

Edit: Never mind just did it. 1:27 on the clock. I had been getting 1:25ish before. Soooo lame. If the melee attacks didn't have the same button as the attack button then this wouldn't be an issue :p Couldn't stop triggering the melee attacks which eat up more time than a final knife attack.

SmithnCo

The melee skill and the lucky 7 skill help with those, And I think technician makes the knife faster as well, for anyone else having problems SS'ing those missions these skills would be useful. Jill with her knife loadout, of course.

tenz0r

12 hours invested into this game so far, and I just found out you could change the camera from First Person to 3rd Person when shooting. So much better now in my opinion.

MooMoo

SmithnCo said:
The melee skill and the lucky 7 skill help with those, And I think technician makes the knife faster as well, for anyone else having problems SS'ing those missions these skills would be useful. Jill with her knife loadout, of course.
Haha, almost forgot about skills. I'll keep this in mind later on when I go back and try to do the earlier missions with all the other characters. Only rocking Patriot Barry for now! Also almost had a perfect 100x combo on 3-4 but some douchebag majini had to grab me. Knifing is soooo fun on the earlier levels :D

Ken

MooMoo said:
Haha, almost forgot about skills. I'll keep this in mind later on when I go back and try to do the earlier missions with all the other characters. Only rocking Patriot Barry for now! Also almost had a perfect 100x combo on 3-4 but some douchebag majini had to grab me. Knifing is soooo fun on the earlier levels :D
Have you tried using Krauser's knife? I'd imagine the higher damage and higher critical chance on his knife compared to Jill's would make killing enemies much faster.

SmithnCo

Tested it and technician makes the knife faster I guess. Krauser's knife is still a little slow for my taste. Jill with her own knife can be seriously fast with technician on, and I like how Jill lunges with her knife as opposed to how everyone else slashes horizontally with it.

Her melees are quite good too, I think her knee drop is an insta-kill or close to it.

MooMoo

Ken said:
Have you tried using Krauser's knife? I'd imagine the higher damage and higher critical chance on his knife compared to Jill's would make killing enemies much faster.
Oh didn't even realize the knives were different. Haven't really messed around too much with other characters and their loadouts to be honest. I'm too much of a Barry fan.
SmithnCo said:
Tested it and technician makes the knife faster I guess. Krauser's knife is still a little slow for my taste. Jill with her own knife can be seriously fast with technician on, and I like how Jill lunges with her knife as opposed to how everyone else slashes horizontally with it.

Her melees are quite good too, I think her knee drop is an insta-kill or close to it.
Cool, thanks for the tip. Learning something new every day about this game lol.

MooMoo

Ken said:
Anyone online?
I am, you wanna host? Although if you're doing EX missions, I haven't touched those, but I have them unlocked. So I won't know where any of the time combos/time bonuses are.

Ken

MooMoo said:
I am, you wanna host? Although if you're doing EX missions, I haven't touched those, but I have them unlocked. So I won't know where any of the time combos/time bonuses are.
I think my current connection is terrible for hosting. Might be better if you did.

MooMoo

Hm, sorry Ken, I'm playing really scrubby >.< I'm gonna hit solo/random people so I can get used to the EX missions. They're an entirely different beast compared to the other stages...

Ken

kiryogi said:
Ken gonna be up later? I still wanna do that EX-1 sometime!
Yeah, I'm still on.

@MooMoo

So many times I wanted to tell you there was a boss behind you but thanks to Capcom's genius all I could get Chris to say was "Show yourself!" lol

GGs though. We should play again later.

Also, reposting for any new or future Mercenaries 3D players:

If you guys want to compare your high scores because of the lack of online leader boards, I made a Google Docs spreadsheet for entering scores.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...dFVz2dGlwTkptczVBXzRSM0NrWTZ1T2ZMaHc&hl=en_US

BTW, does anyone want levels before 4-1 added to the spreadsheet?

Top Bottom