• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Sectus

It's so stupid you can't send friend requests or even send messages to people you play with. Since you only see the lobby for a few seconds it's difficult to even get the names of whoever you played with.

So yeah, anyway, if anyone here happened to play through EX-9 as Barry partnering up with Rebecca using a bolt action rifle: good game!

SmithnCo

Yaceka said:
So what's the general opinion on this game? I'm thinking about picking it up along with Ocarina of Time later today.

The base gameplay is addictive as hell, but Capcom could have done more with the content. The skills add a big component to the game, but more different mission types would have been nice. Online leaderboards should have been in there too.

But if you like score-attack games and online-co-op it is good fun.

Yaceka said:
So what's the general opinion on this game? I'm thinking about picking it up along with Ocarina of Time later today.

I'm loving the game. Playing online definitely ups the value and longevity for me. I've crossed the 30 hour mark now and I know others here have played much more than that. It's good played in short bursts or for a few hours straight. If you like the Mercenaries mode from RE4/5 you should like this I would think. Unlocking all the characters, costumes, and abilities takes some time and adds something extra.

SmithnCo

Lonely1 said:
Fuck 4-5. Any tips? Amy re-spawning guides? So hard to build up combos.

Enemies mostly respawn from 3 crates, one is down a ladder ahead of where you start, and the other two are also in that area (general area where you start, look for where guys come out when rounds start). Stay in your starting area for the whole time (because enemies don't really spawn elsewhere), and try to bomb the spawn that is down the ladder when new rounds start to take out a bunch of guys.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SmithnCo said:
Yes, online counts for unlocking anything. :) It is much easier in duo I'd say.
I got up to 190k, but i got chainsawed from the back... It's too tiring doing it solo, imo. Just tried doing it co-op, but didn't worked great... (Partner died against the first fatty)

Ken

Lonely1 said:
I got up to 190k, but i got chainsawed from the back... It's too tiring doing it solo, imo. Just tried doing it co-op, but didn't worked great... (Partner died against the first fatty)
I can help you out later if you still haven't finished it.

Okay I need advice, this is probably a biased thread to be posting this in but here goes.

I need to chose between Oot, and RE:Mercs.

I know about the mercs save feature, and yeah its shitty, but I was probably never going to delete the game or trade it in anyway.

Is Mercs worth it? Like is there 40$ worth of content on there? I really really enjoyed it on Resi4 and 5, but I want to make sure its worth it paying 40$.

I've feel like Oot is WAAAY meatier, but I've played it so many times I'm not sure I really want to pay 40$ for a remake and play it (again).

I still dont have a 3DS game, and I've owned the system since launch, so it would be nice to play an actual game with 3-d for once.

So whats the general consensus? Any buyers remorse with RE?

Ken

Lavpa Jasai said:
So whats the general consensus? Any buyers remorse with RE?
41201cb9.png

Since you liked the previous Mercenaries, and if you have a wifi connection for your 3DS, I'd definitely recommend it. Even without online, the solo mode is still some of the best fun I've had on the 3DS. Unfortunately, the game is a tad light on content; all the maps are just from RE4 and 5. Where all the playtime comes from is replaying the missions online or solo and for higher scores, so if that doesn't sound appealing, then you might not get as much playtime out of the game. The gameplay is still very fun though.

I can't compare it to OoT however, since I've never played it or the new release of it.

Ken said:
Yeah, I'm still on.

@MooMoo

So many times I wanted to tell you there was a boss behind you but thanks to Capcom's genius all I could get Chris to say was "Show yourself!" lol

GGs though. We should play again later.

Also, reposting for any new or future Mercenaries 3D players:

BTW, does anyone want levels before 4-1 added to the spreadsheet?
Are the high scores posted for single player or duo?

Ken

MindCollizion said:
Are the high scores posted for single player or duo?
There's a page for solo and a page for duo. It should look like a tab that says SOLO and another that says DUO.

Ken said:
There's a page for solo and a page for duo.
Just saw that now, thanks.

Are you on? Would be nice to play. Also, how do you assign or even use the callouts?

Edit: Just realized how low my scores are compared to you guys. Damn.

SmithnCo

Got myself into a bit of a clusterfuck there didn't I.

EDIT: lol anyway, it would be nice if this game gave you an enemy counter in addition to combo counter. It would be useful so you you know when to split up and start picking off the last few guys out of the 150. You can use the combo counter like this if you can keep up the combo but it would be nice to have this if your combo drops.

Ken

SmithnCo said:
Got myself into a bit of a clusterfuck there didn't I.

EDIT: lol anyway, it would be nice if this game gave you an enemy counter in addition to combo counter. It would be useful so you you know when to split up and start picking off the last few guys out of the 150. You can use the combo counter like this if you can keep up the combo but it would be nice to have this if your combo drops.
Mash Y to help. End up meleeing a downed guy. ]:

I wish the Executioners had a more noticeable sound cue. Had no idea a Red Exec snuck up behind me without headphones,

@Mind

The only call outs are X+D pad.

Left is thanks, up is go. And right is regroup. Tap X twice for a taunt.

SmithnCo

You know what sucks? When the last guy you have to kill for the full 150 combo is one of the chainsaw guys that lies on the floor and gets back up. Is there even a way to kill them when they're lying there? :/

daavido

Neo Member
Well.. I dont think R Evil is R Evil anymore.. where is the scaryness? Wheres the goosebumps? mm.. I WILL buy the game, but I have my doubts about it.. check the latest gameplay-video of it, it is when I saw that my doubts was born..

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
http://gametalkerz.se/?p=10332

SmithnCo

I really like the middle room in the "volcano" level. You can jump across the two pits and force the executioners to do the same, so you can snipe them while they are doing the jumping animations.

Nemesis_

daavido said:
Well.. I dont think R Evil is R Evil anymore.. where is the scaryness? Wheres the goosebumps? mm.. I WILL buy the game, but I have my doubts about it.. check the latest gameplay-video of it, it is when I saw that my doubts was born..

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
http://gametalkerz.se/?p=10332

To be fair, Resident Evil wasn't ever really scary. >_>

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nemesis556 said:
To be fair, Resident Evil wasn't ever really scary. >_>
More Tense at times..Racoon City could be good, seems like Mercs but with no time limit and varied enemies and four player..

favourite quote on youtube is
"You motherfuckers that wanted to move while shooting. This is because of you. THIS IS BECAUSE OF YOU."

MooMoo

Ken said:
Yeah, I'm still on.

@MooMoo

So many times I wanted to tell you there was a boss behind you but thanks to Capcom's genius all I could get Chris to say was "Show yourself!" lol

GGs though. We should play again later.
Oh so that's what the taunts were xD. Yeah, the bosses kept popping up and it was really pissing me off. I'm okay with the chainsaw and claw guy cause I know when they're coming, but executioners really need an audio cue of some sort. But I'm not touching EX missions again until I can SS all the missions 1-5 levels.

Also, you guys have really good high scores >.< It's intimidating lol.

Ken

GGs Smith.

Very terrifying trying not to miss the chainsaw guys legs when he's right in front of you and you have no herbs to get away from him.

MooMoo

kiryogi said:
Anyone still up?
I'll be up for a couple of rounds. Can you host?

Also, what time zones are you guys in? It seems like you guys are always playing when it's in the middle of the night for me (EST). Good thing I'm a vampire.

Also @ Ken; I changed the column sizes for the scores on the google docs spreadsheet. Makes it easier to change and view scores. I'm personally interested in seeing scores for the earlier levels, but if no one else wants to see those you can just keep it as it is right now.

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
I'll be up for a couple of rounds. Can you host?

Also, what time zones are you guys in? It seems like you guys are always playing when it's in the middle of the night for me (EST). Good thing I'm a vampire.

Also @ Ken; I changed the column sizes for the scores on the google docs spreadsheet. Makes it easier to change and view scores. I'm personally interested in seeing scores for the earlier levels, but if no one else wants to see those you can just keep it as it is right now.

No problem. I'm PST and work nights. So usually home by midnight and that's when I go at it until morning. Tell me when you're available :eek:

MooMoo

kiryogi said:
No problem. I'm PST and work nights. So usually home by midnight and that's when I go at it until morning. Tell me when you're available :eek:
Hm, not seeing your game pop up. I hate how it doesn't infinitely search for friend games but rather you have to sit there and spam it lol.

Unless I'm out for the day, I'm usually free anytime except from 6AM-3PM EST, which is when I sleep/grab breakfast. Currently don't have a job, which I guess one could say has its pros and cons.

Edit: Oh, that reminds me. Someone mentioned earlier about an IRC for talking/finding games easier instead of posting here. Well I just remembered that you can chat in the googledocs spreadsheet. Granted, you'll probably be listed as 'guest2309487320' but whatever.

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
Hm, not seeing your game pop up. I hate how it doesn't infinitely search for friend games but rather you have to sit there and spam it lol.

Unless I'm out for the day, I'm usually free anytime except from 6AM-3PM EST, which is when I sleep/grab breakfast. Currently don't have a job, which I guess one could say has its pros and cons.
Ah was playing randoms while waiting. Up now!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
:Motorbass said:

I've Seen enough.. already to say, that apart from the Weak ass gun sounds & Same Enemies,..FUCK YOU CAPCOM, RELEASE IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

this is like tourture...just dangling that carrot in front all 3DS owners,
waving the Carrot Capcom approaches the 3DS owner.
CAPCOM"hey you like games," lowers carrot a bit more waving it tantilisingly
3DS owners "Ya huh, gimme" jumping to grab it
CAPCOM "this looks good don't it??"carrot is in reach now of the 3Ds owner
3DS Owners: "gimme gimme" about to get it
CAPCOM "2012 ahahahaaha, FUCK YOU!!" yanks carrot away & Walks off, 3DS owner falls flat on their face..

kiryogi

Banned
Hrm.. 371k for 5-5... Maybe we should kill the boss sooner haha. I thought maybe we keep killing as much before killing it off. I mean we could easily kill it as soon as it showed up, but I just wanted to keep racking up kills >_<

MooMoo

kiryogi said:
Hrm.. 371k for 5-5... Maybe we should kill the boss sooner haha. I thought maybe we keep killing as much before killing it off. I mean we could easily kill it as soon as it showed up, but I just wanted to keep racking up kills >_<
Yeah, I actually almost killed the big guy before I realized what you were trying to do. Also EX-1: the horror...

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
I think we both have an irrational love of chainsaws :p
As someone above said, something about missing his legs. . . I'll be more cautious from now on instead of being so gungho about taking him down right in front of him

MooMoo

Hm, what was supposed to be a couple games turned into a lot of games XD Damn Salvadors! gg kiryogi. I was sort of hoping we could at least finish through EX-1 but oh well. It was a blast either way! Also, does anyone know if you still get skill points even if you don't finish a level?

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
Hm, what was supposed to be a couple games turned into a lot of games XD Damn Salvadors! gg kiryogi. I was sort of hoping we could at least finish through EX-1 but oh well. It was a blast either way! Also, does anyone know if you still get skill points even if you don't finish a level?
Hrm don't think so. Have to complete it I think. I could be wrong though.

And yeah it was more than chainsaws >< Though getting grabbed and then impaled or chainsaw was no fun either XD

Is it wrong that I'm playing with Control Setup C? (shooting with L+R, turning with A, B, X, Y)?
I'm just too used to the usual 3rd person shooter controls, I hate shooting with Y!!!! they should have fully customizable controls :(

Just when I thought 4-2 looked easy (I mean just Las Plagas and Big Mans is what that mission has to offer), it's turning into a real bitch. So far, it's combo killer central: you got your surprise Las Plagas enemies (especially if you don't have flash grenades on hand; there's the tendency of not getting that ground melee attack cause the enemies odd (aka stupid) placement on the ground; gotta be quick to find more enemies since it's a big ass level

Highest combo I've gotten is 50, but I feel I should be getting higher than that

Ken

I wish Rebecca had a better front melee, then I would always play as her. ]:

Hope they give her some new moves in Mercenaries 2, if that ever comes out.

Deku

Banned
So they finally got the game in at Best Buy here so I can use my saved up reward points.

Online is crazy. Just finished 4-1 on a duo mode. Insane.

SmithnCo

During that match were you seeing the unkillable guy in the middle of the level or was that just on my side, Ken? Was kinda funny.

Top Bottom