• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

wow, chapter 20 and I am loving this single player. I think the nostalgia factor is really hittin me up mostly, because playing this game has really reminded me of Half-Life 2.

The characters are so much more fleshed out, especially the motives of the capelli.

patsu

Trick_GSF said:
Well, I just completed the game and found it thoroughly enjoyable, though is it just me, or is R3 really, really short compered to the other 2?

Either way, great game as I said. Might check out the MP later tonight.

How long dud it take you o complete R3 ?

Dibbz

Why are there never any chain reaction games going? WTF is going on with this shitty match making?? TDM is always full but nearly every other game mode is empty.

Loudninja

Dibbz said:
Why are there never any chain reaction games going? WTF is going on with this shitty match making?? TDM is always full but nearly every other game mode is empty.
Because that what people play, nothing you can really do about it.

JB1981

Dibbz said:

Because Chain Reaction sucks.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dibbz said:
I'd recommend playing with a party, and selecting the anything playlist so you can see those other game types more often.

I'm one of "those guys" that loved R1 and was really disappointed in R2 (...although I put 30 hours JUST in the co-op online ha!), but damn, Insomniac has been REDEEMED. What a STELLAR effort in the Resistance 3 single-player campaign. Really incredible ride. There was one kind of stupid boss battles, a part where it slowed down just a little, but I can't complain.

It did take my brother and me 6 hours on casual (don't laugh! wanted to rush through in a day!), but it's such a fast-paced, balls-to-the-wall experience that I would totally play through again.

That rossmore. Man alive. Perfection in feedback/sound.

Damn fine job, Insomniac.

Pikma

Banned
I didn't like the ending, it's
very very very disappointing
. (Yeah, I got the game day two but I got to finish the campaign just yesterday)

It was just plain boring, Joe gets picked up, then arrives with his family and that's it, no way of knowing what the hell happened to all the other people, or the chimeras themselves. A vague ending just to justify another franchise entry, how surprising :/

patsu

Dibbz said:

Hmm... It may depend on your whereabouts. I played it yesterday. Got a good balance of game modes including DM, TDM, Breach and Chain Reaction.

Bollocks

So I just finished the game in coop but I didn't get any trophy for that also under statistics it says that I haven't finished the campaign, weird?!
Can I see what's supposedly missing from the campaign.
I don't wan't this to happen on our superhuman run.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Which boss didn't you like?

The weird tunnel monster. Had a few really wtf moments where, playing co-op with my brother, we saw some weird stuff happen. Insta-deaths. Thought it was a lot like the boss battles in R2, which isn't a good thing.

Well it only took 2 months but the Resistance 3 demo is coming out tomorrow. Unless it gets delayed again.

TheMissingLink said:
The weird tunnel monster. Had a few really wtf moments where, playing co-op with my brother, we saw some weird stuff happen. Insta-deaths. Thought it was a lot like the boss battles in R2, which isn't a good thing.

It seems a lot of people had problems with that boss in regards to glitches.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Well it only took 2 months but the Resistance 3 demo is coming out tomorrow. Unless it gets delayed again.

It seems a lot of people had problems with that boss in regards to glitches.
Better late than never I suppose.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bollocks said:
So I just finished the game in coop but I didn't get any trophy for that also under statistics it says that I haven't finished the campaign, weird?!
Can I see what's supposedly missing from the campaign.
I don't wan't this to happen on our superhuman run.

check your checkpoint list, one of them probably didn't complete correctly

Question:

Is there a new game +, in other words do my weapons and unlocks carry over to my next game? Or is that what that 'all weapons' cheat is for?

Loudninja

Neuromancer said:
Question:

Is there a new game +, in other words do my weapons and unlocks carry over to my next game? Or is that what that 'all weapons' cheat is for?
There is a new game+ but you have to collect the weapons again.You will keep all your upgrades.

Loudninja said:
There is a new game+ but you have to collect the weapons again.You will keep all your upgrades.
OK well that's half good news I suppose.

Question 2: if I were to use the all weapons cheat on my next play through, would I then keep leveling up my weapons?

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
OK well that's half good news I suppose.

Question 2: if I were to use the all weapons cheat on my next play through, would I then keep leveling up my weapons?

All weapons cheat will keep all your level progress, and it never erases. It will invalidate the Brutal Trophy though. But you can technically load up a level, play it on casual with all weapons unlocked, and keep going until you have them all maxxed, then restart a new game on super human (new game +) with your weapons leveld up and then get it.

It's almost essential that you have your weapons upgraded to lvl 2 for Super Human, as it's balls to the wall hard at times. I'm working on a play through right now, all lvl 1 weapons and it's pretty tough (playing with immersive on as well).

MrPliskin said:
All weapons cheat will keep all your level progress, and it never erases. It will invalidate the Brutal Trophy though. But you can technically load up a level, play it on casual with all weapons unlocked, and keep going until you have them all maxxed, then restart a new game on super human (new game +) with your weapons leveld up and then get it.

It's almost essential that you have your weapons upgraded to lvl 2 for Super Human, as it's balls to the wall hard at times. I'm working on a play through right now, all lvl 1 weapons and it's pretty tough (playing with immersive on as well).
Thanks for the info. What does immersive do? No HUD?

Grinchy

Banned
Move question about the demo. Is this indicative of how the game currently feels with its newest patch? Aiming down the sights is completely broken. I might be able to get used to the feel of it otherwise, but that ruins it for me so far. Anyone who has played Killzone 3 with Move should realize how bad this feels.

The visuals are nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I thought the MP beta looked a bit on the crappy side, and I had read complaints of the SP being a little low res, but the demo looked pretty nice to me.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Grinchy said:
Move question about the demo. Is this indicative of how the game currently feels with its newest patch? Aiming down the sights is completely broken. I might be able to get used to the feel of it otherwise, but that ruins it for me so far. Anyone who has played Killzone 3 with Move should realize how bad this feels.

What's wrong with aiming down the sights? I don't know if they updated the demo, but in the actual game, aiming down the sights using Move works just fine after the patch. In fact, the Move controller is my preferred way to play the game now.

Grinchy

Banned
bobbytkc said:
What's wrong with aiming down the sights? I don't know if they updated the demo, but in the actual game, aiming down the sights using Move works just fine after the patch. In fact, the Move controller is my preferred way to play the game now.
That's why I'm thinking that this demo isn't using the Move updates from the newest patch.

When you aim down the sights, it's like your character is suddenly under water. Every move is delayed and sluggish when compared to aiming from the hip. I assume this is what the complaints were pre-patch, but this is my first exposure to R3.

bobbytkc said:
Okay, I'm not going to go out and download the demo to check if it is the same, but the retail game post patch basically fixes the camera when you aim down the sights, while the aiming cursor is free to move around the screen. You can still move the camera around by moving the cursor to the edge, but of course, with a slower turn speed, like it should, but the aiming cursor itself moves quickly.\. It works pretty well for the most part.
Yeah that sounds like the KZ3 method, and it definitely does not feel like what I just played. It wouldn't shock me that they didn't update a demo build, but it feels horrible. I'll have to play the demo with a controller.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Grinchy said:
That's why I'm thinking that this demo isn't using the Move updates from the newest patch.

When you aim down the sights, it's like your character is suddenly under water. Every move is delayed and sluggish when compared to aiming from the hip. I assume this is what the complaints were pre-patch, but this is my first exposure to R3.

Okay, I'm not going to go out and download the demo to check if it is the same, but the retail game post patch basically fixes the camera when you aim down the sights, while the aiming cursor is free to move around the screen. You can still move the camera around by moving the cursor to the edge, but of course, with a slower turn speed, like it should, but the aiming cursor itself moves quickly.\. It works pretty well for the most part.

MrPliskin

Banned
This is pretty "shill" of me, but if you guy's dig the demo, or liked the game, recommend it to some friends on your friends list with the PS Store recommend feature.

MrPliskin

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I have to say that after playing Battlefield 3's campaign yesterday it made me appreciate R3 and Deus Ex's campaigns even more.

I quit playing after the hotel. It's so run of the mill =\

Help!!!

I'm stuck somewhere in the
terraformer. I have to deactivate two blue shield walls and I can't figure out how.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Loudninja

Neuromancer said:
Help!!!

terraformer. I have to deactivate two blue shield walls and I can't figure out how.
Can you be more specific?

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Help!!!

Shoot the golden power rods I believe

Stoffinator

Neuromancer said:
Help!!!

Shoot the golden rods on the side. This is where the big rotating fan is right? I think there are two rods on each side, along the wall.

Ah different section, I figured it out though. There were rooms on the left I had to go into, I didn't even realize they were there. Thanks guys.

Now I'm at the very end, and in traditional video game fashion there are like a thousand dudes to kill. Really frustrating, I've died like 4 times.

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Ah different section, I figured it out though. There were rooms on the left I had to go into, I didn't even realize they were there. Thanks guys.

Now I'm at the very end, and in traditional video game fashion there are like a thousand dudes to kill. Really frustrating, I've died like 4 times.
Try to use secondaries to eliminate groups of enemies at a time whenever possible. Also, the magnum is a BEAST in this area if its lvl3

Edit: too little too late I see!

Grinchy said:

The visuals are nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I thought the MP beta looked a bit on the crappy side, and I had read complaints of the SP being a little low res, but the demo looked pretty nice to me.
You should probably just play the game the way it was meant to be payed. With a controller. No problems there.

Raonak

Banned
Ya know what was cool?
The fact in most actions(ie: opening doors, reloading) you always catch a glimpse of capelli's ring. Clever way of constantly reminding you he has something to loose.

One of the few married videogame characters.

OK seriously, what the hell.

Now that I beat the game I figured hey I can finally enable that Bloody Hell cheat I got from playing Global Resistance and deploying 10K troops. And sure enough, there's still a lock icon next to it.

Under my GR profile: "TROOPS DEPLOYED 14003"

Any ideas?

Neuromancer said:
Phew. Finally beat it. Great game overall. Wish the ending wasn't so cheesy though.

The ending and the WTF
levels involving the inmates taking over everything were so terrible.
I really enjoyed the game aside from that though

Massa

BruceLeeRoy said:
The ending and the WTF
levels involving the inmates taking over everything were so terrible.
I really enjoyed the game aside from that though

Wow, really? I thought the
prison level was one of the highlights of the game. From the shocking way it begins, the satisfying revenge shot you get to take... it's really great stuff. It also re-enforces the point that humanity is completely fucked up that permeates the game.

Where the $&@€£¥ do I put in my online pass? I'm guessing that's what's preventing me from getting my cheat.

Edit: standby I think I figured it out

Edit: that was it apparently, what a pain in the ass

Massa said:
prison level was one of the highlights of the game. From the shocking way it begins, the satisfying revenge shot you get to take... it's really great stuff. It also re-enforces the point that humanity is completely fucked up that permeates the game.
Yeah I liked that stuff too. I thought I wasn't going to like it after hearing about it on various podcasts but I did.

Yeah, my only story complaints were that I really didn't expect
such a perfect happy ending
. But even with that, I thought it was handled well.

Massa said:

Loudninja said:
You are nuts!

You guys liked that part? Let me just state that I thought the idea was brilliant but the execution left a lot to be desired.
The ai was abysmal through that whole section and losing all your weapons again bleh...Plus I hate that stupid hammer and on top of all that its just a ugly looking level.

BruceLeeRoy said:
You guys liked that part? Let me just state that I thought the idea was brilliant but the execution left a lot to be desired.
The ai was abysmal through that whole section and losing all your weapons again bleh...Plus I hate that stupid hammer and on top of all that its just a ugly looking level.
My only gripe about the
sledgehammer
is it has no upgrades. Some crazy shit built on top of it would have made it more fun.

So I'm playing the game through again and I'm starting to notice a lot more scripting errors. Vinny talked about it on the Bombcast and I didn't see any the first time through but already I've broken the scripting multiple times, usually by getting to the next objective before your AI counterparts do. Then they just stand around with vacant looks on their face. Very annoying, to make matters worse this is like the one game in the world without a 'restart checkpoint' option in the menu. So you have to quit and then continue which is very time consuming with all the loading you have to do. Come on Insomniac, you're better than that.

Bollocks

I don't know why but I find my superhuman run much more enjoyable.
Maybe it is because of the upgraded weapons but something feels more satisfying, definitely enjoy it much more I think I died less too than on my previous run on normal.

Also I don't know how this got past QA but everytime in coop at the end of the
subway
level when I look up the ceiling is missing, I can see through the
flatiron building
, it's only noticeable when playing as the client.

Also is it me or do the enemies simply not care about the 2nd player? Seems like they attack the host 90% of the time. Also
at the bridge with the dropship
I think you're supposed to jump down but I stayed up there while my partner jumped down, the 2nd wave of enemies rushed to the edge and started shooting down while I shot them in the back on after another and they wouldn't bother?!

Top Bottom