• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

vDaedalus

PATCH 1.05 FULL LIST:

Deathcam:
* Update and bug fixes to the deathcam system

Network
* Updated Network error messages
* Several performance updates to fix network lag
* Improved load times for friends list
* Refined Hero movement for improved network syncing

Lobby
* Fixed issues related to the game host quitting out of a private game
* The host will no longer lose the ability to start the game after completing a match and returning to the lobby

Matchmaking
* Players will no longer be put into a Team deathmatch game while searching for Deathmatch or Deathmatch Small
* Searching Deathmatch Small with a party of five or more will no longer cause the “Finding Game” screen to loop until the player backs out.
* Improved team balancing

UI
* Cleaned up overlapping text fields in the UI
* The icon for “Double Bird” is now consistant across all menues
* Fixes to the HUD while playing in Immersive mode

Party
* Party is no longer allowed to create and enter a game with no opposing team
* The party leader of parties with 3 players will can no longer result in the party leader being put into the staging screen while the rest of the party is disbanded.

MP Gameplay
* All equipment and abilities are now purchasable at level 60
* Players will no longer spawn invisible to other players
* Suicides award enemies kills if the player is still wounded from their damage
* Abilities will no longer lose functionality if they activate the ability at the same moment that they dies
* Split screen players will no longer be on seperate teams
* Players bodies will no longer hold onto weapons after being killed
* Change to Chain Reaction final node time

Abilities
* Leaper Corpse will now spawn fewer leapers
* The bubble shield will now disapear when the EMP is used against it. [[I was always curious as to why it wasn't always this way.]]
* Dash now gives more consistent feedback when the player is unable to use it
* The players head will no longer vanish when killed while performing a taunt
* Assassin no longer displays the user as a friendly on the radar for DM games
* Players will no longer lose berserks and abilities after playing a number of match making games
* The player will no longer spawn with different genades than what was placed in the primary slot through grenadier

Weapons
* The mutators secondary’s will deal damage regardless of the surface to which it is applied
* Marksman turrets will function properly regardless of the surface to which it is applied
* Wildfire lock-on disabled in between shots in MP [[Not really sure if this is a real nerf or not...]]

Art
* Misc art, collision and volume fixes

Loc
* Localization fixes and updates

Move
* Improved the Move’s aim mechanic

Coop
* Several bug and crash fixes
* Co-op player can now watch videos normally
* Fixes to progression stopping issues while playing campaign in coop

3D
* Fixed the loading screen for 3D
* Tracker footprints now appear for both eyes

Campaign
* Misc fixes to campaign

Remnant
* Remnant levels have been corrected. FUCK YES.
* Improvements to the UI

MrPliskin

Banned
JB1981 said:
wow that is a big update. when does it arrive? and thank you for posting that. cheers.

It should go live next week. It's with Sony for testing now (went to them yesterday, I believe). Generally it takes 3 to 5 days, which puts this right around Monday/Tuesday for release.

Neuromancer said:
I don't have the credits, yet =(

Are you missing any trophies? I can probably help you run through some of those, maybe Sunday in co-op? Playing it with those enabled is tons of fun, and a must. Well, maybe not infinite ammo, since it kinda breaks the game, but it's still fun!

MrPliskin said:
It should go live next week. It's with Sony for testing now (went to them yesterday, I believe). Generally it takes 3 to 5 days, which puts this right around Monday/Tuesday for release.

Are you missing any trophies? I can probably help you run through some of those, maybe Sunday in co-op? Playing it with those enabled is tons of fun, and a must. Well, maybe not infinite ammo, since it kinda breaks the game, but it's still fun!
Thanks I'll keep that in mind, I don't think I'll be free this weekend though.

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Thanks I'll keep that in mind, I don't think I'll be free this weekend though.

No biggie, I'm down to help you get more of those trophies (for more credits). Just give me a few days heads up and we can figure something out.

In other news: The stats on MyRes have been expanded to include weapon stats (awesome). Now you can see how many kills someone has with a certain weapon, and how many times they've died to a certain weapon. Should go a long way in talking about balance.

Massa

Gonna have to ask for my copy back from my brother, though I really wish he would finish it... this is the first shooter he's ever played, all based on that TV ad with Capelli's radio transmission.

Thrakier

MrPliskin said:
So then you disagree that your strong emphasis on looks and presentation over core game play is not giving it a fair shot? I think it's important to be able to enjoy a game for being a game first and foremost, and let developers respond to that. When we beg for pretty games, we end up with things like BF3, Crysis 2, etc.

I'd much rather the experience be fun and refreshing than stale and pretty. I think your inability to simply get over the low resolution (while ignoring the benefits gained from that) is kind of ridiculous, and definitely, to me, says you're unwilling to give the game a fair shot.

Like I said, you're a tech head, you want something to impress you technically more than you want something that is fun and enjoyable, and I think your last post pretty much reinforces that.

To sum it up, you just said "the game is fun, but not pretty enough for me".

That said, I don't wish to continue this conversation. You obviously have your head in the clouds if you expect every game to be "OMG UNCHARTED KZ3 WOWWWWW". You made up your mind LONG LONG ago about Resistance 3, and it's absolutely never going to change. I don't see any benefit to continuing a discussion with you about how ugly it is, or how unfortunate the Move FOV is, considering neither will make you buy the game or appreciate it for what it is.

Tons of BS. I wouldn't play the game if it's pretty but fails in the gameplay departement. I want both to be great.

Also I never expected it to be a KZ or an Uncharted. You don't have to have THE TOP TECH to make a game which is nice to look at. It's all about image quality.

The lighting you adore so much it's still pretty much pre-baked and fake and for that matter, it even has some bugs. At least from what I saw in the beta.

Massa

Thrakier said:
Tons of BS. I wouldn't play the game if it's pretty but fails in the gameplay departement. I want both to be great.

Also I never expected it to be a KZ or an Uncharted. You don't have to have THE TOP TECH to make a game which is nice to look at. It's all about image quality.

The lighting you adore so much it's still pretty much pre-baked and fake and for that matter, it even has some bugs. At least from what I saw in the beta.

Oh man, you've really not played this game.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:
Like I said, just talking MP beta. It may be perfectly fine in the final SP campaign. Didn't check the demo.

Even if its entirely prebaked, there's little to no reason for every light source to be dynamic. The ones that need to be are, and that's really all I care about. Also, the game is still very pretty to look at. Pretty much everyone who has seen either Oklahoma (full on dust storm) or New York has been pretty impressed with all of the particle effects and art direction.

I'd say art is MILES more important than image quality, without a doubt. Thankfully R3 has great art in spades.

Thrakier

MrPliskin said:
Even if its entirely prebaked, there's little to no reason for every light source to be dynamic. The ones that need to be are, and that's really all I care about. Also, the game is still very pretty to look at. Pretty much everyone who has seen either Oklahoma (full on dust storm) or New York has been pretty impressed with all of the particle effects and art direction.

I'd say art is MILES more important than image quality, without a doubt. Thankfully R3 has great art in spades.

You know, in the end, everyting is important if you really want high quality. Good art really looses a lot if the image quality isn't there, great graphics suck if the framerate is bad or the engine tears and all is worth nothing if the gameplay isn't fun.

I guess my expectations for R3 were just too high in the tech departement, I don't know. But you know, you never have a second chance to make a first impression. Maybe dumb but it's also true. And my first impression was firing up the beta. And that really just didn't look good...it just didn't.

And then those move decisions came in. I mean, I was looking forward to the game for like a year, played through R1 and R2, I LOVED KZ3 with move and thought it brought the whole game to a new high and I was so looking forward to it...and then I saw what Insomniac did, how they implemented it. I do understand that some of you are just not bothered by it and that it's just a drama for me. I'm fine with that, that's ok. But I can't change it. I love cool looking weapon models in shooters, I think that's part of the fun, especially in a game like R3 where the importance of different weapon models is so pronounced. And then they just hide half of those models away, make it look weird, somehow zoomed in (I know it's not zoomed, but that's also a problem regarding the overall phsyical logic), the huge ass crosshair, the sub par implementation compared to KZ3...and then I just didn't want to pay full price for it anymore. Because I knew I couldn't play it with move that way, I wouldn't enjoy it, because it kills the atmosphere for me, it looks like some arcady time crisis shooter thingy.

You don't need to understand it, just tolerate it and stop attacking me for not liking some of the decisions IG made.

And in the beta the pre baked lighting was bugged. Meaning, standing in exactly the same spot could end up in a "bright" or in a "dark" weapon model. If you moved really slow between dark and light you could also end up with the "bright" gun modeal standing in a dark corner. That's what I meant.

Is the 3d mode significantly lower resolution, or is it due to my 3d tv sucking ass?

I tried playing with the move yesterday, as well as the sharpshooter (first time playing with those things in an FPS).

The move makes the game a bit easier, I think - especially since there is added auto aim?

The sharpshooter makes all my shoulder muscles ache after five minutes. I do not know how anyone does not go crazy after swinging like crazy just to look around. I guess I must be holding it wrong or something, but I don't think i'll be able to keep using it.

picked this up cheap thanks to the target deal, got away with the 1 for 1 when opened sunday

wow, I actually prefer this to uncharted 3 - its not as flashy, but I find the actual game play systems more rewarding, particularly the weapons growing more powerful and the ability to unlock rewards like videos/art etc but also gameplay changing effects

uncharted 3 is amazing to look at but the more I played, the more bored I was of the core gameplay (especially shooting)

cleveridea said:
picked this up cheap thanks to the target deal, got away with the 1 for 1 when opened sunday

wow, I actually prefer this to uncharted 3 - its not as flashy, but I find the actual game play systems more rewarding, particularly the weapons growing more powerful and the ability to unlock rewards like videos/art etc but also gameplay changing effects

uncharted 3 is amazing to look at but the more I played, the more bored I was of the core gameplay (especially shooting)
Yeah the weapon wheel is amazing and the game parcels out new weapons at a great pace.

MrPliskin

Banned
cleveridea said:

Pretty much how I'm feeling going through U3 right now (to be expected, I'm crazy tinfoil-hat fanboy). Really digging U3 though, still a good game. Just not as interesting for each replay as R3 is.

Bollocks

superhuman run done!
I really liked it more on superhuman, after my first run I was like meh but superhuman was a blast mainly because all the weapons were level 3 and it's really fun, now I just need all the journals and platin is mine.

MrPliskin

Banned
Bollocks said:
superhuman run done!
I really liked it more on superhuman, after my first run I was like meh but superhuman was a blast mainly because all the weapons were level 3 and it's really fun, now I just need all the journals and platin is mine.

I think playing on Super Human also goes a long way to REALLY make you explore all of the different weapons and take advantage of all the secondary fires, etc.

Now you need to play it with all those delicious cheats enabled, it's even better.

SamuraiX-

Just Redbox'd this over the weekend and made it to Chapter 15.

I gotta say, I was somewhat disappointed to play through the opening stages of the game and see so much sub-HD visuals, particularly some of the texture quality. I do like the weapon wheel, but not a fan of the grenade switching when you need to find a specific one you want to use while in the middle of battle.

Not many cons besides that. Gunplay and combat feel great, love the story and characters, some awesome set pieces throughout the game so far. Its greatest strengths I thought were its presentation of motion blur, particle effects, and the water/rain engine. I feel like R3 is near or at the top of its class in these particular categories.

Amazing game. Can't wait to pick it up again and finish it.

MrPliskin

Banned
Ugh...

working the midnight tonight made me realize how disgusted I am with MW3, CoD, and all the fans that come with it. Put R3 on the big screen, and the first thing the first guy who plays it complains about is how many bullets it takes to kill a guy (even though he was actually doing really well).

Thankfully a lot of folks were wowed with the Auger and we sold 2 copies, I felt like I did my fanboy duty for the night.

MrPliskin

Banned
ResistanceGAF (is there such a thing anymore?). Insomniac is taking some suggestions for cleaning up the playlist options and improving the Classic Hardcore mode. I suggest everyone go check it out and provide some input!

Also, they'll be doing community play lists soon with country voted settings weekly, so keep your eyes open for that!

Massa

MrPliskin said:
ResistanceGAF (is there such a thing anymore?). Insomniac is taking some suggestions for cleaning up the playlist options and improving the Classic Hardcore mode. I suggest everyone go check it out and provide some input!

Also, they'll be doing community play lists soon with country voted settings weekly, so keep your eyes open for that!

Hardcore TDM
Hardcore Objectives
TDM
Objectives

Boom! There you go Insomniac.

MrPliskin

Banned
Massa said:
Hardcore TDM
Hardcore Objectives
TDM
Objectives

Boom! There you go Insomniac.
Well, you also have to consider the Anything playlist, the community playlist, and Invasion (which you all should get). Also input for what hardcore mode tweaks people want to see. Any input?

Gibration - They should be out in a few days. Sony is certifying them now. There's a 16 player map and a 4 player map.

Thrakier said:
Like I said, just talking MP beta. It may be perfectly fine in the final SP campaign. Didn't check the demo.

I finally got around to playing the single-player demo yesterday. I honestly think that every single person that played the multiplayer beta was so turned off by how the game looked that none of them bought the release. I have asked countless times in countless threads on countless message boards if the final release looks better than the multiplayer beta. No one ever answered me. So, I finally was able to see for myself with the single-player demo.

...And yes, the final release looks SO MUCH BETTER than the multiplayer beta. It's still sub-HD and kinda hurting in the graphics department compared to other recently released big titles, but man, it blows the multiplayer beta away in terms of graphical quality. Plus, I enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit. I'll have to add this to my list of gonna-get-eventually games.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Awesome.

Hopefully ill have internet by tomorrow. ^_^

MrPliskin

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Why would you doubt that a single player campaign of a final game looks better than a multiplayer beta? :|
Well, for him of its sub-hd it looks like ahit, there's no real grey area. I personally think it looks really good.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I finally played through this game. I loved R1 and hated R2, so I originally had high hopes for this one when I heard they were getting back to its roots. I hated the beta, didn't feel like R1 or R2, just not like resistance at all, so I decided to pass on it this time.

Finally borrowed it from my cousin and played through the campaign... damn I was hooked on this game. I can't vouch for the MP, I haven't played it since the beta, and honestly I have to agree, I thought it was really ugly. That being said I really loved the campaign. First the visuals. I was pleasantly surprised by how this game looked. While it may not look as good as the best, it is very interesting in its own way, particularly the chimeran architecture. This is one thing I loved about the first one... the colors were drab, the architecture was intricate, it really provided a very solid helpless atmosphere. Surprisingly this game at times had even more than the first.

The gameplay also got back to its roots. When I saw the weapon wheel returned I was excited, but I really didn't love the guns in R2. The guns in this game were awesome. They weren't gimmicky or useless, besides the cryogun, every weapon proved useful. I constantly found myself in situations where I could think of multiple ways to approach a battle based on which gun I was using. Again in R2 I never really strayed away from the bullseye... it really didn't matter what else you used.

So overall I'm very happy with this game. I hope there's another resistance... I have a feeling this will probably be it for the series. If there is another I feel like Insomniac has learned a lot about what fans liked and disliked about this series, and the next game could bring that all full circle.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there any way to "speed up" myresistance.net? Everytime i use it, it is fast and smooth the first 30 seconds, but then it gets slower and slower. Sometimes i get a message that a javascript file have stopped responding.

Top Bottom