• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Seventy5

Fersis said:
Nerf the atomizer please.
this please! This gun is so frustrating. One dude in a game I played went three matches like 30-1 or so just cheesing this gun. Its even worse once they get cloak or a shield. I can't ever tell I'm getting hit by atomizer fire until I'm dead and there doesn't seem to be a counter for it. I love the MP and bought the DLC, this weapon is just out of place to me as everything else seems pretty balanced.

I didn't know there was co-op DLC coming. Any details on it?

The Bullseye is like the coolest assault rifle in video game history. The revolver with the explosive rounds and the marksman (I think that's the one with the turrets) are super cool too.

Why don't more games do cool stuff (i.e. crazy alt fire modes) with weapons the way this game does?

Grinchy

Banned
The beta convinced me to hold off. I can't say I would have bought the game if the beta never existed, but I would have been more likely to. Also, it doesn't really sound like everyone is all that thrilled about the performance after multiple patches. That's a bit of a red flag for me when there are plenty of other games I'm interested in.

It's a shame too because I really liked R1 and R2.

T-0800

R3 has one of the best single player campaigns I've ever played. Not to be missed. I paid about $100 AU and don't regret it.

T-0800

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Which is why this trend of open betas need to go away. The casual consumer is to dumb to realize a beta is for testing an unfinished game.

To be fair though it was a demo not a beta. I say that because it was the same at launch.

Radec

T-0800 said:
R3 has one of the best single player campaigns I've ever played. Not to be missed. I paid about $100 AU and don't regret it.
it is. bummer that the mp cant keep up though.

i still wonder on why Insomniac dropped the famous coop fom r2..

Grinchy

Banned
Radec said:

I loved that coop. I had like 5 days of play time in R2 and I didn't play a whole lot of the awful competitive mode.

mkernan

Neo Member
T-0800 said:

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but I really, really liked it too.

Cornbread78

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Which is why this trend of open betas need to go away. The casual consumer is to dumb to realize a beta is for testing an unfinished game.

So true.... I've heard people b!tching about Battlefield from their Beta, and everyone should know it NOT the final retail product....

T-0800 said:
To be fair though it was a demo not a beta. I say that because it was the same at launch.

Wasn't the same at all.... When we started in the BETA early, you couldn't even keep a party together, you got empty games half the time you searched for a game, not to mention the extreme lag and game freezes that occured every match. The game at launch incorporated many updated and even more importantly, is much different and very easy to pick up and play.

I mean, I extremely disliked some of the design changes, (smaller parties, lack of clan rosters, Rocket Launcher as load out weapon, Lack of MP Co-opp, etc) but the game is completely different now from what it was during the private BETA and is really fun to play!

I've tried and tried but I just got to admit that usually the MP just isn't very good. If you happen to get to a fair match by some sort of weird luck, it's actually pretty good and balanced. But majority of the matches aren't. At all.

Outside of DM, the weapons are pretty balanced, but the perks aren't. You really don't get good abilities until like level 22 and you have to buy upgrades for them anyway. If you have been careless, you are shit out of luck. Buying the abilities doesn't bring any more stategy to the situation than let's say the system in Call Of Duty. What's the point of unlocking weapons by levels if you have to spend skillpoints to actually use them? If everything was available from beginning, it wouldn't be such a problem, or everything was available from certain levels it would be fine too. The middle road is just useless, if I recall right Uncharted does this too but the money there is way easier to accumulate than the skill points in R3.

Further more and by far the biggest fault is the goddamn crappy matchmaking system. If I remember right it was supposed to be improved in 1.04 but was it really? Most objective matches end in SECONDS because the other team just dominates and for the second round it's ten minutes of spawnkilling. WHY THE CRAP THERE ISN'T A VOTE TO SHUFFLE TEAMS? OR BALANCE THEM IF IT'S 8vs4? It's been there almost since the goddamn beginning of online FPSs and there is no reason not to have it, especially since the matchmaking system sucks. Individual skill doesn't matter at all and it's impossible to try and teamwork when you are getting dominated to your own spawn. Tiered servers would be better but I know they aren't happening, but shuffling teams isn't too much to ask.

From the technical point of few, other than missing those very basic functions, is now pretty good as the lag is mostly gone. But has Insomniac even tested the local 2P online? Obviously the lag is still there, no biggie, but the HUD is abysmal. For instance, pressing select covers the WHOLE SCREEN in stats, not just your side. When you die, the "PROTIP: When you are getting shot run for cover"-type of messages cover HALF of the damn screen. Why?? At least lower the opacity by 70% so you can actually see who killed you with what. Also, I am pretty sure that in DM you only see one of the scores (instead of scores for both players). And the awards cover 20% of the screen, so they could be scaled by at least 50%. It literally covers what you are aiming for. The local 2P online is really really fun but it could use some improvements (in coop, but especially in competive).

It's a long rant and like I said the MP can be really fun every now and then when the teams are even but it could use many improvements still and most of them aren't even that hard to implement (I'd assume). It's an unfair comparison, but I was playing Quake 3 in school LAN today and it was pretty much better in every aspect as far as basic functions go and the games aren't even that much different if you scale down the movent in Q3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Radec said:

Maybe OverStrike (Multi platform title) will have some kind of R2 Co Op?

Question:

I unlocked the bloody hell cheat in Global Resistance, but it hasn't shown up in my game as far as I can tell (says it needs 0 credits to unlock, but there is still a lock symbol next to it.) Do I have to beat the game to actually use the cheat?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Neuromancer said:
Question:

I unlocked the bloody hell cheat in Global Resistance, but it hasn't shown up in my game as far as I can tell (says it needs 0 credits to unlock, but there is still a lock symbol next to it.) Do I have to beat the game to actually use the cheat?

I think you need to beat the game once to use those cheats

I think SuperHuman allows you to use the cheats but locks you out of the trophy for said difficulty

MrPliskin

Banned
GraveRobberX said:

I think SuperHuman allows you to use the cheats but locks you out of the trophy for said difficulty
Only all weapons / infinite ammo locks out the trophy.

As for co-oP, you guys know that a horde mode would be extremely similar to R2 cO-op given the abilities, etc .

Cornbread78

MrPliskin said:
Only all weapons / infinite ammo locks out the trophy.

As for co-oP, you guys know that a horde mode would be extremely similar to R2 cO-op given the abilities, etc .

So I can use the Health Regan Cheat and still clear Super Human and get the trophy?

GraveRobberX said:

Ok thanks. Shame I can't turn on bloody hell now though. =\

Neuromancer said:

If a cheat will disable the "Brutal" trophy, it will actually tell you in the cheat menu. All those who don't mention it are safe to use.

MrPliskin

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
So I can use the Health Regan Cheat and still clear Super Human and get the trophy?

Whoops! Forgot about that one. That's the 3rd that locks it out. Sorry, it's early and I've been studying all night, scatter brained :p

Neuromancer said:

You can :)

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Hmm I need to look again but last time I did, it was still locked (even though I activated it in Global Resistance.)

Ahh, well you do have to complete the game once in order to make cheats available for purchase.

Wickwire

Radec said:

This is the reason I haven't bought the game yet. Ill probably get it when it drops to 30ish or if the move bundle is on sale. They lost a day one purchase because lack of co op.

Wickwire said:
This is the reason I haven't bought the game yet. Ill probably get it when it drops to 30ish or if the move bundle is on sale. They lost a day one purchase because lack of co op.
Well the entire campaign is playable in co-op if that makes you feel better.

MrPliskin

Banned
Wickwire said:
The competitive MP is largely in almost every way a 'rebirth' of co-op as a competitive multiplayer game. Literally 60% of the ideas from R2 co-op were moved over to the competitive game for R3. The coming co-op DLC will probably feel a lot like R2, only you'll be able to build a custom class instead of having a pre-determined load out.

Cornbread78

MrPliskin said:
Whoops! Forgot about that one. That's the 3rd that locks it out. Sorry, it's early and I've been studying all night, scatter brained :p :)

Well, there goes that. I guess it's gonna be straight up hell for my second playthough... how bad was it on Super Human? Am I gonna wanna kick kittens or something?

MrPliskin

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
Well, there goes that. I guess it's gonna be straight up hell for my second playthough... how bad was it on Super Human? Am I gonna wanna kick kittens or something?
If you roll over your weapons, it's not bad at all. If you start with lvl1 weapons, it's pretty difficult. Just remember to exploit your secondaries and save the "big guns" for the big fights.

(as a response to MrPliskins response to my rant about MP), thanks! Hardcore was better, maybe even a lot better even though finding the matches took longer. That fixes 1/3 of my 3 major problems :)

Loudninja

PetriP-TNT said:
(as a response to MrPliskins response to my rant about MP), thanks! Hardcore was better, maybe even a lot better even though finding the matches took longer. That fixes 1/3 of my 3 major problems :)
Play the multiplayer with us next time. :)

MrPliskin

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:

Glad you enjoyed it man! You should hook up with GAFfers to play some games, it's generally 10x easier to get into hardcore matches with a bigger party. What are your other two major problems? Not that I think I can fix them or change your mind, just curious :p

Cornbread78

Loudninja said:

Is anyone from GAF still playing MP? There is never anyone in the Chatroom anymore and everyone from the BETA is playing Dark Soul's? I mean, I'm always in a full party to jump in with clanmates, but I like to play with GAFers for fun as well.. : (

Loudninja

Cornbread78 said:
Is anyone from GAF still playing MP? There is never anyone in the Chatroom anymore and everyone from the BETA is playing Dark Soul's? I mean, I'm always in a full party to jump in with clanmates, but I like to play with GAFers for fun as well.. : (
I see patsu all the time but thats it, we need more players.

Loudninja said:

Sure, PSN: MemphisCreep! Too bad this doesn't have that awesome Clan-thing that R2 had, it was so easy just go and play with Gaffers all the time. Played some more normal MP today as I couldn't find a hardcore match and it was pretty bad. I mean we were playing splitscreen online and neither of us couldn't even stay alive for a second before getting killed by guys with Atomizers camping the spawnpoints in Breach. It actually was pretty impressive how NO ONE could even spawn without dying.

MuseManMike said:
Just got around to beating it. And wow. Redemption! Too bad this will be overlooked so many.
About how many credits did you end up with by the end?

I'm concerned the good unlocks (all weapons/unlimited ammo) are going to be really hard to unlock.

rdrr gnr

Neuromancer said:
About how many credits did you end up with by the end?

I'm concerned the good unlocks (all weapons/unlimited ammo) are going to be really hard to unlock.
After a co-op play-through on Normal I had about 900 which can purchase the 3 best cheats (health regen, unlimited ammo, all weapons). I just finished my Superhuman run, and I don't know how much I have atm. iirc, enabling any cheats prevents you from unlocking difficulty trophies, but getting other ones are just fine.

MuseManMike said:
After a co-op play-through on Normal I had about 900 which can purchase the 3 best cheats (health regen, unlimited ammo, all weapons). I just finished my Superhuman run, and I don't know how much I have atm. iirc, enabling any cheats prevents you from unlocking difficulty trophies, but getting other ones are just fine.
Nice! Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems then.

Dibbz

Is it just me or does R3 not support team balancing online? Seriously if we are in the lobby and 4 guys drop out and the other team have 8 give the other team some players. FFS it's so god damn annoying.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dibbz said:
Is it just me or does R3 not support team balancing online? Seriously if we are in the lobby and 4 guys drop out and the other team have 8 give the other team some players. FFS it's so god damn annoying.
Definitely agree that this is a problem. They try to prevent it with late join, but that works maybe 5/10 times.

patsu

Cornbread78 said:
LOL, I wasn't gonna call you out on that one, so you just outted yourself! : D

What can I say ? I am honest and Dark Souls is my Game of the Forvever. ^_^

I still play R3 on weekends and some week nights. I agree Atomizer should be gimped further. The strategy should be to encourage people to use the weapon wheel to switch weapons, rather than give them more super-powerful weapons.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Well, I just completed the game and found it thoroughly enjoyable, though is it just me, or is R3 really, really short compered to the other 2?

Either way, great game as I said. Might check out the MP later tonight.

Top Bottom