• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Just tried the magnum for the first time...is there a way to be effective with it? Seems like you need gunslinger, but demolitions seems like a good idea too. I have more luck shooting the ground around dudes and exploding it rather than actually shooting them. I've never seen anyone using it, but i loved it in SP.

Also, I get into a lot of "unbalanced" matches where it's 9v7 or 10v6, what's that about?

MrPliskin

Banned
Raul_Atreides said:
Just tried the magnum for the first time...is there a way to be effective with it? Seems like you need gunslinger, but demolitions seems like a good idea too. I have more luck shooting the ground around dudes and exploding it rather than actually shooting them. I've never seen anyone using it, but i loved it in SP.

Also, I get into a lot of "unbalanced" matches where it's 9v7 or 10v6, what's that about?

This has happened to me a few times as well. I generally just quit out of said lobbies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Massa said:
I thought the same after playing BF3, and then again after playing Uncharted 3. This game is so underrated.
Not trolling but after finishing the BF3 SP the first thing i thought was: Damn R3 is awesome.

MrPliskin

Banned
Fersis said:
Not trolling but after finishing the BF3 SP the first thing i thought was: Damn R3 is awesome.

If I ever get my capture set up figured out I'm going to do a bunch of R3 footage (without spoilers) to hopefully convince people this game is worth their time. Really wish more folks would give it a look instead of jumping on the hype train for those carbon copy military shooters :(

vDaedalus

Ah yes, I quite like the changes that've been made from the patch. Especially to Remnant levels -- it should have worked this way all along. That being said, why isn't there an awesome human skin for Remnant 9/10? ~_~

Melchiah

I wish these extra XP days wouldn't always fall on weekends, as this the second time I miss the whole thing due to not having time or energy for playing a game.

MrPliskin

Banned
Melchiah said:
I wish these extra XP days wouldn't always fall on weekends, as this the second time I miss the whole thing due to not having time or energy for playing a game.

Even if you only play for a half an hour, you'll get at least 5 or 6 levels. It's pretty significant, lol.

Got my first "Epidemic" ribbon today, which was immediately followed by...another Epidemic in the following round. I'm noticing the "skill gap" getting increasingly bigger, or my map knowledge and awareness is just going up. Had tons of fun this weekend though.

Melchiah

MrPliskin said:
Even if you only play for a half an hour, you'll get at least 5 or 6 levels. It's pretty significant, lol.

Got my first "Epidemic" ribbon today, which was immediately followed by...another Epidemic in the following round. I'm noticing the "skill gap" getting increasingly bigger, or my map knowledge and awareness is just going up. Had tons of fun this weekend though.

Yeah, but as I'm often away from home, or having guests, on friday and/or saturday, and tired as hell on sunday, there's no chance for even half an hour. I just wish Insomniac would sometimes offer the same on weekdays for us who are doing something else on weekends.

I had a blast playing the multiplayer this weekend. What sucks is that now that I'm going to go back to Uncharted 3, I'm going to miss Resistance 3. Insomniac did this on purpose! xD One thing is for sure, I look forward to another weekend like this in the future and/or a paid map pack. :)

MrPliskin

Banned
Melchiah said:
Yeah, but as I'm often away from home, or having guests, on friday and/or saturday, and tired as hell on sunday, there's no chance for even half an hour. I just wish Insomniac would sometimes offer the same on weekdays for us who are doing something else on weekends.
Well fear not, of it's like last time it'll run through part of Monday as well.

patsu

VanWinkle said:
So does nobody play this? Theres bound to be like 25 people at most right now. My brother and i are trying to get in a game.

Worked fine for me last night. Was on for 3 hours. US PST time zone here.

VanWinkle

Huh. Another thing. Does the online pass only apply to the one psn account instead of the systems you put it on? Surely that can't be the case, but i was going to let my brother play by himself on his account while i ate, and it said "you need an online pass". Do they seriously expect everyone who plays on the ps3 to buy an online pass?

test_account

XP-39C²
VanWinkle said:
Huh. Another thing. Does the online pass only apply to the one psn account instead of the systems you put it on? Surely that can't be the case, but i was going to let my brother play by himself on his account while i ate, and it said "you need an online pass". Do they seriously expect everyone who plays on the ps3 to buy an online pass?
It applies to every PSN account on the same system that the online pass was activated on.

patsu

As far as I know, it should apply to everyone on the same PS3. Go to the PSN Store and see if it allows you to redownload the Online Pass to your brother's account.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DoctorWho said:
Just started on the single player this weekend. This game is highly underrated. Great first level. Looked phenomenal in 3D.
It gets so much better than that first mission. Wonderful campaign.

patsu

After the patch, MP is really REALLY smooth now. I can run, point, turn quickly in any direction I want without dropping a beat. Reminds me of old school hectic shooters. ^_^

This game is criminally underrated. :( I loved it.

All this attention going to MW3 and BF3 for the last month...all I can think about is how R3 is easily one of my #1 console shooter experiences this generation. Doubt there'll be anything like it any time soon.

As soon as I have some downtime I want to spend some time and try to Platinum it.

MrPliskin

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
This game is criminally underrated. :( I loved it.

All this attention going to MW3 and BF3 for the last month...all I can think about is how R3 is easily one of my #1 console shooter experiences this generation. Doubt there'll be anything like it any time soon.

As soon as I have some downtime I want to spend some time and try to Platinum it.

This.

Also: This is a pretty awesome thing you should all check out!

http://www.insomniacgames.com/resistance-3-playlist-competition/#

NHale

patsu said:
After the patch, MP is really REALLY smooth now. I can run, point, turn quickly in any direction I want without dropping a beat. Reminds me of old school hectic shooters. ^_^

It's like a different game. I played the beta and MP at launch, and thought it was terrible because the MP was unbalanced and had lots of technical problems. After playing this weekend I'm shocked at how different it plays.

My only complaint right now is the matchmaking. I can only find full games if I search "Anything". If I try any other option I end up alone in a lobby or at best with 3 other people waiting.

Shame that Sony and/or Insomniac rushed the game, because had they waited, made this changes to the game and released it in Q1 2012, this game would have done a lot better. At least I hope Insomniac repeats the 5x Weekend (or week) again after the Battlefield 3/MW3 launch period ends to at least entice people to try and see how improved the game is.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Pretty much all the high profile FPS are already out this year. Played them all.

I think it is safe to say that resistance 3 is the best single player campaign this year. More people should pick it up.

.la1n

DoctorWho said:
Just started on the single player this weekend. This game is highly underrated. Great first level. Looked phenomenal in 3D.

You are in for a great campaign overall, cheers.

Dropped in today for couple of matches again and I was happy to see that most of the technical problems were FINALLY solved after installing the 1.05 patch. Played almost a round and the game crashed. No biggie, that happens. Reconnected and played for a while and I noticed that even the fixes make the game more enjoyable it isn't really fun. At all. I guess I could say it's fundamentally flawed, but flawed in a different way I consider let's say MW2 sort of flawed.

First of all, my major annoyance is still there. The game is an unbalanced mess. I could repeat everything I have said in past post in a long form but I'll try to condense them a bit.

1) Matchmaking pretty much sucks
2) Teams don't balance at all, not outside or during the matches. From ~10 matches I played (Anything), 80% were so unbalanced that our team or the other team ran over the other and spawnkilled them for the second half.
3) Weapons, while being a bit better, are still unbalanced but not as much as...
3.1) The perks. Holy shit at the perks. The level up system makes no sense at all. Compared to MW2, which people claimed was unbalanced as far as unlocks go, you could be very competitive after few levels because you unlocked some great unlocks early on. I am level 30 and I am still missing pretty much every "overpowered" unlock. Maybe I screwd up while setting up the skillpoints but I am not starting again.
3.2) TURRETS, Wildfire etc. should be killstreak perks. Especially the turrets, they can break any game.

Second, the modes aren't just enough. I don't have the DLC but there are like 6 game types right? Even less if you consider Deathmatch broken as it is. I understand that there isn't much time to develop these things but as the other modes aren't balanced, why not throw just shitload of classic MP modes to the mix and see what sticks. There's the new community thing that Pliskin just linked to so at least that is something.

Or maybe the maps aren't just that good but that I can't fix.

I really liked R2 MP, especially the CO-OP. I would trade everything in the R3MP to couple of maps of R2CO-OP, I really would.

TL;DR - MP sucks but at least classic hardcore is better than other modes but goddamn matchmaking can't seem to find a match for me. When I finally find time to play I don't want to spend it looking at some waiting for players-screen. Crap.

MrPliskin

Banned
It's really not that matchmaking sucks, so much as mindless drones simply skip every FPS that isn't a military shooter on PS3. The community is extremely small in comparison, so it's very difficult for matchmaking to literally find people that aren't there.

It's a shame so many people will throw their money at the same product they've been spoon fed for 4 years, when they could be playing something a bit more unique like Resistance 3.

It's really not that matchmaking sucks, so much as mindless drones simply skip every FPS that isn't a military shooter on PS3. The community is extremely small in comparison, so it's very difficult for matchmaking to literally find people that aren't there.

It's a shame so many people will throw their money at the same product they've been spoon fed for 4 years, when they could be playing something a bit more unique like Resistance 3.

I was thinking about this but I played BF1943 because of that one GAF thread and found a game within 5 seconds and how many players can that have?! 100? 1000? Wolfenstein on PS3 had 17 players online 3 weeks after the release and you could find a game within minutes (that did have server browser if I remember right though).

edit: Offtopic but I started playing Civilization 3 some time ago and decided to check if there were players online. And there was, one dude with server up. On a 10 year old game. At 4 at night. I want to see any modern FPS pull that off. Heck, who even knew that Gamespy was still online.

MrPliskin

Banned
I was thinking about this but I played BF1943 because of that one GAF thread and found a game within 5 seconds and how many players can that have?! 100? 1000? Wolfenstein on PS3 had 17 players online 3 weeks after the release and you could find a game within minutes (that did have server browser if I remember right though).

Well, how do those games handle game modes? In R3, everyone plays the "Anything" play list. You can always find games nearly instantly on that play list. on the others, however, they are a ghost town. Recently the "game of the week" (which you should check out, btw) as pretty populated, second only to the Anything play list.

It's died of now, however, as I'm sure people have gotten tired of not being able to use wild fires and turrets.

MrPliskin

Banned
Getting a new TV this week. I can't wait to replay this on a decent set.

Enjoy it :) It looks really fantastic. I recently purchased a pair of Astro's and replayed the SP with the audio set to "Headphone" mode, and it was pretty fantastic. It mixes the sounds differently and you hear a LOT of things you don't through TV audio, or even Surround Sound.

As of right now, I've clocked about 80+ hours into the game over all. Pretty much most of it is in MP, but the rest is in SP (about 17 hours worth of replays). Really can't wait to hear more about the Co-op DLC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Enjoy it :) It looks really fantastic. I recently purchased a pair of Astro's and replayed the SP with the audio set to "Headphone" mode, and it was pretty fantastic. It mixes the sounds differently and you hear a LOT of things you don't through TV audio, or even Surround Sound.

As of right now, I've clocked about 80+ hours into the game over all. Pretty much most of it is in MP, but the rest is in SP (about 17 hours worth of replays). Really can't wait to hear more about the Co-op DLC.

I've also gotten some new headphones since I've played this so the new playthrough is going to be glorious.

jackdoe

Just finished the campaign. It was great. At first, the sub-HD resolution was really noticeable, but all the effects and atmosphere completely wiped all traces of that thinking from my head. The engaging gameplay and environments helped as well. Shame the ending was terrible though.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just finished the campaign. It was great. At first, the sub-HD resolution was really noticeable, but all the effects and atmosphere completely wiped all traces of that thinking from my head. The engaging gameplay and environments helped as well. Shame the ending was terrible though.

Yea, the ending was...less than stellar. I think most were just bothered that it really ended abruptly.

CozMick

Banned
Why the heck is one of the game modes invisible in the playlists still?

It's been like this since day one, the last mode in the list, what is it?

MrPliskin

Banned
Why the heck is one of the game modes invisible in the playlists still?

It's been like this since day one, the last mode in the list, what is it?

Have you updated to the latest patch (1.05)? That issue should have been corrected.

Anyway, here's what all the play lists are, in order:

Anything
Team Death Match
Game of the Week
War Games
Invasion
Classic Hardcore
Deathmatch
Deathmatch Small

Is that all you see? Which is missing?

MrPliskin

Banned
The Game of the Week play list was really busy at the start of the week, but now it's pretty dead :(

Any of you gonna be online with this when the Coop DLC comes out?

Co-op DLC might actually be worth buying if it's anything like R2coop.

I also found that for some reason I enjoy the MP much much much more with the sounds off.

is this game worth getting?

I can get the Resistance 3 Dooms Day edition with the MOVE and Accessories for 120 CDN plus taxes.... I am just debating if I should.

Thrakier

I'm looking forward to play this soo. I played a lot of PC games so I guess it makes things easier for me. Sounds weird? Not really. I got used to PC IQ really fast and so my expectations for console IQ and GFX in general are extremly low now. Even UC3 just looks "good" (ok, very good at times). So I'm just going in for the atmosphere and because it's R3 and I like the guns and having a good time. Played the demo again and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not even bitter about move anymore, it's less precise than a mouse anyway and playing with a controller again is a nice change of pace for me. Just waiting till it hits 20 or so...

Oh and I agree that it's a pity that people buy MW3 or BF3 like drones and R3 is a bit overlooked. Those realy life military shooters are horrible imo.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It's true that Resistance 3 SP campaign is criminally underrated, but I think this is partially because most current gen shooters SP campaigns suck ass. Especially the BF3 one.

That said, I'm really excited about their next, multiplatform game (what was its name again?). It will support Move just like Resistance 3 does right James? RIGHT?!? :p

I'm looking forward to play this soo. I played a lot of PC games so I guess it makes things easier for me. Sounds weird? Not really. I got used to PC IQ really fast and so my expectations for console IQ and GFX in general are extremly low now. Even UC3 just looks "good" (ok, very good at times). So I'm just going in for the atmosphere and because it's R3 and I like the guns and having a good time. Played the demo again and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not even bitter about move anymore, it's less precise than a mouse anyway and playing with a controller again is a nice change of pace for me. Just waiting till it hits 20 or so...

Oh and I agree that it's a pity that people buy MW3 or BF3 like drones and R3 is a bit overlooked. Those realy life military shooters are horrible imo.

Why haven't you just spend a couple bucks and rented the game at this point? Is it not an option?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's true that Resistance 3 SP campaign is criminally underrated, but I think this is partially because most current gen shooters SP campaigns suck ass. Especially the BF3 one.

That said, I'm really excited about their next, multiplatform game (what was its name again?). It will support Move just like Resistance 3 does right James? RIGHT?!? :p

BF3 and MW3 did this game a lot of favors. Now everyone is able to appreciate it for all it does right. :)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question, when playing the beta and the demo, the game seemed to have a very low resolution?

Is the not scaling well to my Full HD TV? I would like to know this, because this is the biggest problem I'm seeing for getting the game.

MrPliskin

Banned
I have a question, when playing the beta and the demo, the game seemed to have a very low resolution?

Is the not scaling well to my Full HD TV? I would like to know this, because this is the biggest problem I'm seeing for getting the game.

You really shouldn't let IQ stand in the way of you playing a fantastic game. If everyone were like that, how would we ever enjoy stuff like SMG? :)

Top Bottom