• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Tokubetsu

Anyone else have issues with the sound? Like there's a bit of lag between it and the visuals. Mainly only happens with explosions and melee attacks.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
I don't believe that the DLC will be released next week, but we'll get details on it. I assume you're referring to Insomniacs FB/Twitter post?

Yeah that's it. I also thought i heard somewhere else that it was actually coming next week but I could be wrong. Maybe from the psblog podcast?

Tokubetsu

I've only encountered sound issues in MP.

It's probably something on my end. I have to run my ps3 via optical through a DAC to my old ass receiver. It's just funny because this is the only game I've noticed sound issues in (With one weird thing in UC2 that im chalking up to a glitch since it only happened once).

MrPliskin

Banned
It's probably something on my end. I have to run my ps3 via optical through a DAC to my old ass receiver. It's just funny because this is the only game I've noticed sound issues in (With one weird thing in UC2 that im chalking up to a glitch since it only happened once).

Well, I'd assume if it can happen in MP, it can happen in SP, so it's probably not your audio set up.

Mr_eX

Got this on black Friday and started it last night. It's so much better than Resistance 2. My biggest issues I have with the game are the super low FOV and everything in the game looks low res. I even checked on my TV to make sure it was getting a HD signal from the PS3 and it said 720p so I guess it's just the game.

MrPliskin

Banned
Got this on black Friday and started it last night. It's so much better than Resistance 2. My biggest issues I have with the game are the super low FOV and everything in the game looks low res. I even checked on my TV to make sure it was getting a HD signal from the PS3 and it said 720p so I guess it's just the game.

Yea, the game sacrifices resolution for some very awesome particle effects and motion blur.

mollipen

Opened my shiny new copy of Resistance 3 today. Jumped into multiplayer (the reason I loved R2) so much. Ended up wanting to throw the stupid game in the garbage. (I won't, but.)

Why the f**k did they take out the game browser?! FFFFFUUUU! RAAAAAGE! You know what was nice about R2? I could jump on, find a game that interested me, jump into it, and have fun. Now, I've got to deal with the "quick match" BS. For lord's sake developers, your quick match options aren't nearly as useful as you seem to think.

This was 90% of my time spent with with R3 today: Look for a Team Deathmatch game, end up in a room alone. Look for a Team Deathmatch game, end up in a room alone. Look for any type of game, end up in a room alone. Sit there waiting for somebody to join, one person does after like two minutes, then they leave. Search for any type of game again, find a room with four people, sit there waiting for a minute or two, half the room bails. Look for a...

In like 10 minutes of trying to find a game, I was successful once. In R2, I would have brought up the game browser, and been in and playing in like 30 seconds.

Thanks Insomniac.

That said, the one stage I did get to play was mind-bendingly gorgeous, to a level R2 never, ever was. For that reason alone I want to play R3 - it's just going to be a huge pain in the ass to do so.

VanWinkle

You know what was nice about R2? I could jump on, find a game that interested me, jump into it, and have fun. Now, I've got to deal with the "quick match" BS. For lord's sake developers, your quick match options aren't nearly as useful as you seem to think.

This was 90% of my time spent with with R3 today: Look for a Team Deathmatch game, end up in a room alone. Look for a Team Deathmatch game, end up in a room alone. Look for any type of game, end up in a room alone. Sit there waiting for somebody to join, one person does after like two minutes, then they leave. Search for any type of game again, find a room with four people, sit there waiting for a minute or two, half the room bails. Look for a...

In like 10 minutes of trying to find a game, I was successful once. In R2, I would have brought up the game browser, and been in and playing in like 30 seconds.

Man, I could not agree with you more. Them taking out the custom game browser was as stupid, if not more so, than taking out their co-op mode. Cannot begin to understand their thinking there.

Man, I could not agree with you more. Them taking out the custom game browser was as stupid, if not more so, than taking out their co-op mode. Cannot begin to understand their thinking there.

It's the trend I guess. I will never understand why it is a trend or why would anyone just keep matchmaking but I either have to dealwithit.jpg or stop playing online games. Fuck.

kingkaiser

So, as a fresh PS3 owner who is interested in some alien butt-kicking. How should i get started with this trilogie? Is it ok to jump right to the third one?

MrPliskin

Banned
It's the trend I guess. I will never understand why it is a trend or why would anyone just keep matchmaking but I either have to dealwithit.jpg or stop playing online games. Fuck.

This has a lot to do with these titles having smaller online communities, and if custom games were an option then the ranked matchmaking would be a ghost town.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did they ever fix the broken delete data? I want to know if I can remove the data safely. Lol.

This has a lot to do with these titles having smaller online communities, and if custom games were an option then the ranked matchmaking would be a ghost town.

I think that any server browser that had the ability to sort the servers / rooms by game type and number of players would be better than matchmaking, not matter how small the community is. Like I have said before, I was playing Wolfenstein on PS3 about 2 weeks after it came out, it had 17 players online (worldwide!) and I got into a match in less than a second because of the server browser.

So, as a fresh PS3 owner who is interested in some alien butt-kicking. How should i get started with this trilogie? Is it ok to jump right to the third one?

I'd say yes. Of course the first 2 are cheap as hell now, so you could start with 1 and then play the third. I liked the SP on 2 but not many are fans of it, but the COOP MP makes up for every fault that game had. I don't know if there are any players on it anymore but it's worth a try.

heringer

Just bought this. Now waiting to arrive.

It was between this and Modern Warfare 3, but I'm not touching MP anyway, so what the heck, I went with R3. I love me some Resistance (one of the few people around here that liked R2). I even liked the PSP game, which was surprisingly awesome.

Hope I don't regret. Eventually I'll buy Modern Warfare 3 too, and Rage after that. Can't wait to see which one is the best.

KongRudi

Banned

I'd buy the Twin-box (Contains both Resistance 1 and 2) aswell, since the campaign of the game is really good for a FPS.. :)
But that is only backdrop in the third game. :-/ You can play it as a stand-alone experience.

Tokubetsu

Man, it's a real shame this doesn't output at 1080p. Aside from the lower resolution (and lowres textures) this is a pretty great looking game. The lighting is often really impressive and it has great atmosphere. Just hit a point in the story where it took a bit of a dark turn but I'm loving it. First ps3 game!

R3 does sure have an amazing single player campaign. It puts other FPS to shame. Great atmosphere, and brilliant weapon selection.

Man, it's a real shame this doesn't output at 1080p. Aside from the lower resolution (and lowres textures) this is a pretty great looking game. The lighting is often really impressive and it has great atmosphere. Just hit a point in the story where it took a bit of a dark turn but I'm loving it. First ps3 game!

Which level are you at?

Personally, considering you just bought a PS3, I'd suggest watching recap videos on YouTube of the first two games, and then playing the third game. I think R3 is the best game in the franchise by a wide margin.

In fact, I don't even think watching the videos is that necessary.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
New DLC. I really hope it´s free.

A Game that has an online pass... is trying to deter the used market by off-setting it by making them pay $10 to access the online portion of it (be it by the publisher strong-arming into it)... yeah free all the way, of course that is the way

Massa

A Game that has an online pass... is trying to deter the used market by off-setting it by making them pay $10 to access the online portion of it (be it by the publisher strong-arming into it)... yeah free all the way, of course that is the way

They've already added free content to the game before. And I didn't have to pay $10 to play online. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally tried the game in 3D this weekend and, while the effect is nice, I couldn't believe how low the framerate can get. I started from the mines section and worked up to the prison. Fighting that huge underground beast at what felt like 15 fps was pretty painful.

I did notice that performance in 2D seemed better than it was at launch, however.

Tokubetsu

Finally tried the game in 3D this weekend and, while the effect is nice, I couldn't believe how low the framerate can get. I started from the mines section and worked up to the prison. Fighting that huge underground beast at what felt like 15 fps was pretty painful.

I did notice that performance in 2D seemed better than it was at launch, however.

Only noticeable slow down for me was near the end. Things get really crazy towards the end of the game. They start throwing everything at you...which is kinda funny because the game still didn't really get difficult. I died around 3-4 times on normal and almost always it was because I wasn't sure where to go/where the last health kit was.

MrPliskin

Banned
I didn't even realize there was already dlc out. Survival pack worth it?

The game mode is extremely fun, sadly not a lot of folks bought it. If the GAF crowd buy's it and we set up some custom games, it'll be 100% worth it. The skins are pretty cool too.

Also willing to bet this next DLC comes with Skins as well.

Tokubetsu

The game mode is extremely fun, sadly not a lot of folks bought it. If the GAF crowd buy's it and we set up some custom games, it'll be 100% worth it. The skins are pretty cool too.

Also willing to bet this next DLC comes with Skins as well.

Yea, I want that Glenda skin lol.

Tokubetsu

DLC Details:

Brutality Mode - Survive waves of on-coming grims on the Seaside map (at night, hazy). Also comes with some (7) tracks from Mastadon, and I think some new Skins.

So, not co-op, but we'll see how this plays out. Should be released tomorrow. I'll post impressions then I suppose!

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/56506/resistance-3-dlc-brutality-exclusive-preview/

Edit: Also, 2-player co-op confirmed for Brutality Mode. And it's only $4. BUY IT.

If i get it an invasion, will you play with me? lol.

Top Bottom