• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

TheTrin said:
About skill points: Skill points are basically in game achievements. The concept is really cool. Instead of just giving you gloating points, skill points actually unlock concept art, and other tertiary goodies. There are both general skill points, as well as level specific ones. Some of the names are hilarious: "Why are these candles screaming?!"

That's what we've come to expect from Insomniac games by now. I guess some people dislike the fact that it's not tied to a universal points system, but this works fine for me. Honestly, it seems to me as if simply getting points for achievements is a bit of a cop-out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AltogetherAndrews said:
That's what we've come to expect from Insomniac games by now. I guess some people dislike the fact that it's not tied to a universal points system, but this works fine for me. Honestly, it seems to me as if simply getting points for achievements is a bit of a cop-out.

I simply love the point system. I hate achievements because they actually don`t DO anything. The Resistance points actually unlock documents, extras and the like which really make fighting inventively that much more rewarding.

I`ll post a port mortem impressions article on my site (www.hdrlying.com) when I get home tonight. I have to do one for both Resistance and Tales of the Abyss, so I have a LOT of writing ahead of me. :)

I`ll let you all know when the Resistance review goes up!

Wario64 said:
Stop comparing Gears of War with Resistance already, jesus

Totally different games. Both games will be awesome and fun, end of story

in terms of a killer ap it is a worthy comparison and both are the killer aps so you can't deny me that one.

they are both great, and i will buy both for sure, i already said that. just saying that gears of war will have more of an impact and higher average scores. the graphics are better and sure resistance probaly does more technically, but to the average gamer, gow looks better and review wise it is getting higher marks for graphics..........shouldn't a PS3 game like resistance be owning in that cateogry????????

ghostmind

fernoca said:
Yay! :)
openze4.jpg

OK - that whole film reel thing is awesome... I need a PS3!

I don't know when I can play this game but by seeing it in photos, reviews, and other ppl impressions I've really liked this game. It has a feel of AAA quality.

This also proves that PS3 can also do some magic if developers are willing to go for it. So it all depends on developers.

klee123

TheTrin said:
About skill points: Skill points are basically in game achievements. The concept is really cool. Instead of just giving you gloating points, skill points actually unlock concept art, and other tertiary goodies. There are both general skill points, as well as level specific ones. Some of the names are hilarious: "Why are these candles screaming?!"

Now this is the type of Achievement/points system I like. When I get points, I expect to be rewarded by getting new features, not just for the sake of e-dick waving.

contaygious said:
in terms of a killer ap it is a worthy comparison and both are the killer aps so you can't deny me that one.

So should we start comparing both to Zelda since that's the Wii's killer app?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mejilan said:
My Best Buy had this and a few other PS3 games available. I almost bought it...

GO BACK!! GET IT WHILE IT`S STILL THERE!!

I`m at work right now. I really want to be at home, playing through Resistance for the second tier of weapons. :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TheTrin said:
GO BACK!! GET IT WHILE IT`S STILL THERE!!

I`m at work right now. I really want to be at home, playing through Resistance for the second tier of weapons. :(

How you liking Hard mode?

thetrin

jstevenson said:
How you liking Hard mode?

Aggravating. :lol

I`m really liking the difficulty level. Probably the hardest level for me was
the Thames level, where you have to take out two stalkers, and then a spider in a small snowy area. It was also one of the most fun, because I tried it in so many different ways before finding the best way to take them all out.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
That's one of the toughest battles in the game, and maybe my favorite.

Hard mode is difficult... but the one you unlock after that is brutal. ;-)

JS

rc213

jstevenson said:

JS

There is another difficulty setting after hard? :O :O :O :O :O

jstevenson said:

JS

JS, could you shed any light on what the harder difficulties employ to increase the challenge? In other words is the AI on Hard mode any different/smarter, or is it more of a case of "more enemies, more damage for you, less for them" etc.

BuddyC

TheTrin said:
Aggravating. :lol

I`m really liking the difficulty level. Probably the hardest level for me was
the Thames level, where you have to take out two stalkers, and then a spider in a small snowy area. It was also one of the most fun, because I tried it in so many different ways before finding the best way to take them all out.
That's easily my favorite moment in the game.

thetrin

jstevenson said:

JS

That battle was awesome. It's maybe one of the most open levels I've encountered. Other instances felt like the game wanted me to use a certain weapon, while that skirmish felt like I had all the options in the world. It was badass.

JS, I'll be posting a final "post mortem impressions" blog post on my site (www.hdrlying.com) tonight. Please be sure to check it out, and have the other guys on the team check it if they have some time. Also, please leave comments if there are any things in the post you agree with, disagree with, or you just want to make fun of my face. :lol

Dante

gow looks better and review wise it is getting higher marks for graphics..........shouldn't a PS3 game like resistance be owning in that cateogry????????

Give Insomniac 4 years and a few delays to create a game then we'll talk.

watership

Dante said:
Give Insomniac 4 years and a few delays to create a game then we'll talk.

Hold on there, are you saying that hardware doesn't matter and its content only? Insomniac never takes 4 years to release games. They take 1 to design the first game and 3 more to release the next 3. :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think this is new? Didn't want to make a new thread in case it's not.

GameDaily review:

http://ps3.gamedaily.com/game/review/?gameid=5258&page=2

Though not without its minor problems, mostly resulting from co-op not being everything it should be, Resistance: Fall of Man easily ranks as the must-have entry in the PlayStation 3 lineup. The chaotic battles and creative weaponry help make its single player campaign among the most intense experiences in recent memory, a rare trait to find in a launch game. Meanwhile, the variety of options and modes in the well-designed multiplayer, another rare trait for a launch game, guarantee the formation of a dedicated online community. While justifying, let alone affording, a $500 or $600 PlayStation 3 may be a questionable affair at this point, games like Resistance provide a solid reason for the eventual purchase.

4.5 stars (out of 5)

Mentions also that stat-tracking etc. will go up at www.myresistance.net, which was news to me.

Vangellis said:

Not to nitpick, but Kasavin's review seemed oddly uneven in parts. Like this bit...

If there's an issue with the game's guns, it's that you wind up depending on the first two weapons most of the time. Each of these weapons is a fairly standard point-and-shoot affair, so it's perfectly effective to just stick a target in your reticle and go full-auto on it.

That goes against most of the impressions I've read so far to be honest. Even in R&C you need to experiment with the arsenal for a variety of situations and enemies. Overall it's kinda disapointing he didn't dig into the weapon design and strategy that much since it seems like a big part of the game.

Resistance definitely has more of a run-and-gun feel to it than a deliberately paced, tactical shooter. However, you still need to inch your way into enemy territory. You'll also need to use grenades to disrupt enemy formations because getting surrounded by your enemies brings swift death and a visit back to the nearest checkpoint. Resistance winds up feeling quite a bit like the Halo games in how it balances a simple, action-packed style of shooting with a basic need to frequently take a defensive position and wait for opportunities against entrenched foes.

"It's sorta like this... but then again it's like this. Although it felt like this, it also felt like this". Grrr. :lol

MP kinda got glossed over as well. Oh well, I'll check it out for myself soon enough.

jstevenson said:
I'm collecting questions for Ted's next IGN blog... speak in the next 5-10 minutes or forever hold your peace :).

JS

I guess I'll just repeat my earlier post...;)

Could you shed any light on what the harder difficulties employ to increase the challenge? In other words is the AI on Hard mode any different/smarter, or is it more of a case of "more enemies, more damage for you, less for them" etc.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So should we start comparing both to Zelda since that's the Wii's killer app?

erm... yes? because that's what everyone else thinking of getting a system this winter will be doing... (?)

Oneself

Kangu said:
Any plans for extra maps?

Any plans for downloadable single player content?

We know there's a Ratchet & Clank reference in Resistance; is there something related to Disruptor in there as well?

Tieno

jstevenson said:
I'm collecting questions for Ted's next IGN blog... speak in the next 5-10 minutes or forever hold your peace :).

JS
Question for Ted Price
-What has your input been on Resistance? Are you also the lead designer?
-Why did Insomniac chose to put the Chimera on the box cover, or the skull of a chimera head. When looking at other shooters often the main character is on the box? It seems (at least from my perspective) in promoting the game the focus is much more on the chimera than Nathan Hale.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
jesus Trin already beat the game and I'm stuck on the 7th or 8th level :lol Whenever I turn the game on, I wanna go through single player but multiplayer always beckons me, heh. I still think the Chimerans are underpowered but that's just me. In a lot of the games I've played they seem to be on the losing side of things, but it's probably because the game is still new and everyone is trying to figure out how to use them effectively.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Let me start then. Zelda has better sword fights than Resistance.

and better content for elf-fantasy lovers! Why would you bother with Resistance after that? ;)

I thought SSX had gone to queue actually, he seemed to disappear from the board yesterday...

anyways, i love resistance, but i don't think it's a killer app. It's the best launch game by far for the PS3, and the best fps on a sony console ever, but i don't think it's a killer app. I'm not sure Gears is either (despite its brilliance) , Zeldas popularity has been on the decline so it'll be interesting to see how that does in Japan and US (but that's a whole new thread)

Reno said:
jesus Trin already beat the game and I'm stuck on the 7th or 8th level :lol Whenever I turn the game on, I wanna go through single player but multiplayer always beckons me, heh. I still think the Chimerans are underpowered but that's just me. In a lot of the games I've played they seem to be on the losing side of things, but it's probably because the game is still new and everyone is trying to figure out how to use them effectively.

I think the dash and radar that human soldiers gets is just readily easier staple to get used to for a FPS.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I think the dash and radar that human soldiers gets is just readily easier staple to get used to for a FPS.

Also,I think the Chimera's Blaze mode (double power, speed, etc.) is really shitty because even though you get all of those enhancements, you stick out so much from your surroundings. I mean, shit, you're engulfed in flames while you're in that mode, it isn't hard to pick you off, especially in a huge melee.

Dahbomb said:

That thread maybe 2 pages, simply because it is a 9 equivalent, so it will attract the same interests and interested people would normally be satisfied so no need for defensiveness. Others won't last long when they come to see the score and usually just proclaim it's a good score defensively but really don't care as it's not high enough of a score for any perceived worth, while others say "See it isn't that great" even if 8+ scores technically are, in short probably not really giving a damn things Playstation anyway, but since it's a 9 they don't usually bother this time.

Ah, the circle of life that is thread reviews.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Reno said:
Also,I think the Chimera's Blaze mode (double power, speed, etc.) is really shitty because even though you get all of those enhancements, you stick out so much from your surroundings. I mean, shit, you're engulfed in flames while you're in that mode, it isn't hard to pick you off, especially in a huge melee.

Just wait till you have a few more matches under your belt... Rage mode is rockin'.

Top Bottom