• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Orodreth

Tieno said:
Wow, I've been thinking of a visual effect like that in my head for a while now. Kind of like you see this b&w picture, it starts moving and slowly you see it fill with color. (similar to the Venom suit stuff in spider-man). Is there a video where they show this off?

In IGN video review there are some cutscenes where it goes from the action to that old b&w photo style stills. It looks really good and i also liked specially the detail in the models.

SolidSnakex said:
Those are Gamespots caps? My how times have changed since back when the PS2 launched you couldn't find worse caps on the net than Gamespots.

Are they really Gamespot caps? If so wow total!

928399_111206_screen029.jpg

928399_111206_screen038.jpg

928399_111206_screen039.jpg

928399_111206_screen040.jpg

lol

928399_111206_screen042.jpg

awesome stuff! I wanna play this game!

ypo

The level of details in the environment is just staggering and add all the dust and debris flying around = : O

ypo said:
The level of details in the environment is just staggering and add all the dust and debris flying around = : O

yeah that's what I love about it and the frame rate is locked! That's totally awesome! Too bad the lighting and shadowing are very flat, I am still going to buy it next year though!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Good score, fair review.

1 Up-Perfect Dark Zero: 9.0

I wonder how EGM is taking to this game as they consider PDZ a fairly average-poor game, especially in their latest issue in which they called it one of the worser launch titles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is there any water present in this game? I've just realized that there haven't been any shots released showing off the water.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
NomarTyme said:
Considering 1up reviews are usually of poor quality and trust, even worst if Garnett is involved (most clueless VG journalist ever), I am happy he didnt blatanly bash the game. Something he is most capable of doing due to all his biased remarks on recent 1up yours (and they call Shane a fanboy?).

Gamespot needs to come out with their review already.

TheProfessor said:
Considering 1up reviews are usually of poor quality and trust, even worst if Garnett is involved (most clueless VG journalist ever), I am happy he didnt blatanly bash the game. Something I could see him doing after all the biased remarks he makes on the 1up show (and they call Shane a fanboy?).

Gamespot needs to come out with their review already.

I'm bracing myself already for Gamespot.

Already got a feeling it will do worse than PDZ again over there too, cause PDZ got a high review of 9 and people tend to be far more critical later on, reasonable or not.

Just a gut feeling.

8.7-8.9 maybe.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm bracing myself already for Gamespot.

Already got a feeling it will do worse than PDZ again over there too, cause PDZ got a high review of 9 and people tend to be far more critical later on, reasonable or not.

Just a gut feeling.

8.7-8.9 maybe.
I wonder what the scores would have been like if Gears of War didn't come out until next year. It seems it is being directly compared to it for it's score. Ie, 8.5 on graphics from IGN which everyone and their grandmother was surprise at since it technically blows anything except Gears away.

Have to admit MS did a great job having Gears set to release right before PS3 launch.

Striek

GameZone - Resistance: Fall of Man review

"Resistance: Fall of Man is an amazing shooter that displays the capabilities of this new system. It would have been a remarkable title a year into the life of the PS3, but as it is a launch title, it is even more remarkable. With incredible graphics, an evolving story, great action and weapons, Insomniac and Sony have nailed the launch of the game and system seamlessly."

Same as they gave GeOW

They did give PDZ a 9.0 though

Dahbomb

Don't really keep up with Gamezone but a good score is a good score, though it's a bit TOO much on the positive side.

BuddyC

thundersabre said:
Gamestop just called me and they'll have my copy in tomorrow.
Same here, though I think I'll hold off on picking it up until I have the system in my hands as well.

Was PDZ the most overscored game ever? I don't think I've ever heard even the most diehard Xbox supporter try to defend those scores from Gamespot and 1up before.

X26

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Was PDZ the most overscored game ever? I don't think I've ever heard even the most diehard Xbox supporter try to defend those scores from Gamespot and 1up before.

console launch hype tends to result in launch titles getting inflated scores, if PDZ was released today I'm sure even 1up would be giving it a low score...probably

BuddyC

Bad_Boy said:
When can we expect to see your review of the game? :)
Uh, you know, that's a really good question. For starters, I suppose the first step would be to stop reading the time-sucking forum and put the finishing touches on what I have. As for when it will run, I'll have to use vague words like "shortly" and "soon" for now. But when I have a more definitive idea, you guys will know.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BuddyC said:
Uh, you know, that's a really good question. For starters, I suppose the first step would be to stop reading the time-sucking forum and put the finishing touches on what I have. As for when it will run, I'll have to use vague words like "shortly" and "soon" for now. But when I have a more definitive idea, you guys will know.
Sounds good, looking forward to it. :)

Dahbomb

typhonsentra said:
Far from it, the game has an 81% ratio at Gamerankings and I say that is deserving of the game. It's not nearly the crapfest that most people claim it to be, but its certainly not an excellent game either. Its a competent FPS that is technically solid but artistically crippled.

Dahbomb

You can use the "waggle" to shake off an enemy "tag" (a seeker placed on an enemy that homes in bullets), to disperse flames from the flamethrower weapon (shake off the fire) and you can tilt the controller 90 degrees to the left/right to pull up leaderboards. And of course there is the shake the controller to get the Menial off of your face. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hopefully SOMEONE on gaf is as far in the game as I am. I know DC isn`t , but maybe troidal or lyte are.

Okay, so, I`m
in london, and I just finished tower bridge and the section after it. I`m making a daring attack on the structure in London. My question is this: Am I supposed to have NO ****ING IDEA who the cloven are? I keep reading intel about them, but still have no idea who they really are.

Also, my current theory is that the Americans initally discovered the Chimera virus in Area 51, and launched spires into Russia...but things got out of hand. Whenever you see American soldiers in the game, they`re dead, and they are wearing some VERY VERY high tech equipment. Really fishy stuff. Also, the hailstorm and sapper are american, according to documents, but have never been in service. Sounds like some conspiracy shit. AWESOME. :D

Orlics

To anyone who's played the game:

One thing I've really wanted to know about is the environments. From the vids, they look huge, but that might be some programming tricks and nothing more. How big are they?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Orlics said:
To anyone who's played the game:

One thing I've really wanted to know about is the environments. From the vids, they look huge, but that might be some programming tricks and nothing more. How big are they?

The environments change quite a bit. Some levels are entirely claustrophobic and are intentionally creepy and dark. On the other hand, some levels are open air warzones. You probably want to know the size of the open air warzones.

The warzones themselves are pretty large, but nowhere near the scope of the original Halo (which not even Halo 2 was able to pull off). They're still large enough for the player to find their own way of going about a skirmish, and I found myself trying a bunch of wildly different tactics for these parts.

The game doesn't seem to funnel you through instances the way other First Person Shooters seem to. It really does FEEL like you are picking your own path, even though you're really not. The level design is just good at tricking you in that way.

Bad_Boy said:
>_<' trin is pushing me again with his spoilers....3 more days >_<'

Erm...don't highlight that spoiler. It's like...GIANT GIANT spoiler territory.

BuddyC

TheTrin said:
Hopefully SOMEONE on gaf is as far in the game as I am. I know DC isn`t , but maybe troidal or lyte are.

Okay, so, I`m
in london, and I just finished tower bridge and the section after it. I`m making a daring attack on the structure in London. My question is this: Am I supposed to have NO ****ING IDEA who the cloven are? I keep reading intel about them, but still have no idea who they really are.

Also, my current theory is that the Americans initally discovered the Chimera virus in Area 51, and launched spires into Russia...but things got out of hand. Whenever you see American soldiers in the game, they`re dead, and they are wearing some VERY VERY high tech equipment. Really fishy stuff. Also, the hailstorm and sapper are american, according to documents, but have never been in service. Sounds like some conspiracy shit. AWESOME. :D
Yes, the Cloven are one of the game's pseudo-mysteries. Also, there's a lot of little touches in there hinting at a much larger story, so keep paying attention. But yea, we've got some similar theories ....though I'm curious where you got the Area 51 thing from, since Roswell didn't occurr until 1947 and the Chimera were around long before that.

Dunpeal

Banned
Will you guys stop with the PDZ shit?

PDZ was reviewed last year, time moves on, standards change, etc. Jesus.

Good solid reviews for Resistance like anyone should expect, as it allways looked like a good solid game.

Dunpeal said:
Will you guys stop with the PDZ shit?

PDZ was reviewed last year, time moves on, standards change, etc. Jesus.

Good solid reviews for Resistance like anyone should expect, as it allways looked like a good solid game.

solid, the mark of death

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ko-tak-u had some new screenshots of the game yesterday. Mostly closeups of chimera grunts being shot point blank by the player.

raYne

Dunpeal said:
What? Solid = Good, ins good game with little flaws, hence solid.
Solid = decent. Good = good... Sorta like when you tell a girl that she's "cute" when you don't really find her attractive.

Anyway, good news for the most part. I plan to pick this up whenever I get around to picking up a PS3.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jett said:
I think it's REALLY good too, probably the best on a released/about to be released game.

Do you really think it looks better than....

Okay I'm not going to go there. :)

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/DD533610-7F8D-4536-81BC-EEC7C64EC966.htm

Forgive the obligatory Halo references and it's pretty clear they liked it.

Few people may actually remember that before developer Insomniac Games got big with Sypro the Dragon and Ratchet & Clank, it made a first-person shooter called Disruptor. It was a good title, but like many games of the era, it was limited by the hardware of its time. As Insomniac gets back to its first-person shooter roots with Resistance, there is a pedigree here that I think few people expected. Combine that with the power of the PlayStation 3, and Insomniac has pulled off one of the best launch games I’ve ever seen, up there with the likes of Halo and Call of Duty 2.

Graphically, the game is simply stunning, and when you tie in all the single player and mutliplayer components it is easily the PlayStation 3’s premiere, must-have title.

Second Opinion said:
There’s a good reason why Master Chief has been looking pale these days. Sony just dropped a bomb down his pants. No matter how you cut it, Resistance is PlayStation’s answer to Halo. It bombards you with relentless action, opens your mind to new gaming possibilities with its inventive selection of weapons, and offers a multiplayer experience so deep and dangerously addictive that your hands may permanently form to the contour of the controller. Insane 40-man online battles, weapons that can shoot through walls and around corners, having to violently shake the controller to free yourself from an alien that has latched onto your neck – there are few experiences in gaming that are this exciting, and thanks to the development muscle of Insomniac, this finely polished and balanced. The only blemish that this game has is the uneventful finale to the single-player campaign. Outside of this, Resistance pounds you into submission with its remarkable gameplay. Without question, it’s worth getting a PS3 just for this game.

Top Bottom