• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alright, guys. Just finished my first playthrough of Resistance. Really badass. I loved every second of it. I'm working on the second playthrough, where you unlock a second tier of weapons to use. A few enemies in the game had weapons I couldn't pick up the first time through, so I can guess which ones I'll be picking up on this playthrough.

Played on medium difficulty. The game wasn't ridiculously balls out difficult, but it was challenging, and great fun.

I don't usually play through a game more than once, but the possibility of new weapons is difficult, if not impossible, to turn down. :)

TheTrin said:
Played on medium difficulty. The game wasn't ridiculously balls out difficult, but it was challenging, and great fun.

Can you start on hard or do you have to unlock the higher difficulty levels?

Thanks for the impressions Trin, been fun reading.

J-Rzez

jstevenson said:

I can't get this answer from anyone or I just miss it... maybe you or one of the guys would know this... can you use BLUE TOOTH HEADSETS for communication?

PS: Picked up your game today, sitting right in front of me... it's nice how the artwork is also on the inside of the case! It's killing me I don't have a machine to play it on until Friday! :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bluetooth headsets work with the PS3 as far as I know - but I've only used USB myself.

Thanks for the great comments on the packaging, we really went all out to make it look cool and a lot of people contributed in helping, I really love the look of the manual, the clear cases are great because we get to do the inlay which I also think rocks. Glad to hear you like it!

jstevenson said:
Bluetooth headsets work with the PS3 as far as I know - but I've only used USB myself.

Thanks for the great comments on the packaging, we really went all out to make it look cool and a lot of people contributed in helping, I really love the look of the manual, the clear cases are great because we get to do the inlay which I also think rocks. Glad to hear you like it!

Are there any plans to release an "Art of Resistance" book? I'm a sucker for this type of stuff.

TheTrin said:
Alright, guys. Just finished my first playthrough of Resistance. Really badass. I loved every second of it. I'm working on the second playthrough, where you unlock a second tier of weapons to use. A few enemies in the game had weapons I couldn't pick up the first time through, so I can guess which ones I'll be picking up on this playthrough.

I don't usually play through a game more than once, but the possibility of new weapons is difficult, if not impossible, to turn down. :)

You planning to play co-op with this game anytime soon? Co-op just seems to make everything even more fun. Nothing like kicking ass with a friend. I would love to hear impressions on that too.

antipode

Bad_Boy said:
Is that youtube video loading for anybody? It's not working for me. :'(

Sorry about that, for those of you who couldn't see it - it should be up now. One of our boxes in LA was down. Just the sort of growing pains Google should be able to help us with.

Striek

Game is getting hammered in the reader ratings at gamerankings the more positive reviews it gets. I don't think its a coincidence :)

jstevenson said:
A bunch asked for a high-def version of the Ted Hedgehog demo, so here ya go.
Thank you.

Zaptruder

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
How's the analog dead zone? I found some PS2 shooters to be unplayable due that that loosey-goosey dead zone (hi, RE4).

If you've ever plugged a DS2 into a USB adapter... you'd realise that the DS2 doesn't actually have a deadzone... what it is, is loose though. You get a small area of wobble before the tension kicks in (due to the way the cap/top/stick is fitted).

Any deadzone that does exist stems from design choice, rather than the controller having a mythical deadzone.

lynux3

Wollan said:
So, do anyone have any pics of the cover open with the manual and such? Remedy that.

Nothing great but I took this picture of the inside as you open up the case.

rfomopenrd0.jpg

Here's the manual & disc without reg paper:

resistancexh1.jpg

lynux3

Bad_Boy said:
did you just go pick up yours from gamestop/ebgames lynux3?

Yes. They called me yesterday and said it would be available today in the afternoob, so after school I stopped by to pick it up. :)

J-Rzez

jstevenson said:

Oh yeah! It's definetly nice that it goes that extra step, it's a great touch... The manual was done very well too... and I'm happy for this:

The party system in online...

Not enough games do this, it's great!

Thanks, guess I'll pick up a BT headset tomorrow then :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
lynux3 said:
Yes. They called me yesterday and said it would be available today in the afternoob, so after school I stopped by to pick it up. :)
cool, i need to go pick mine up but I'm just being kinda lazy. not really much use if I dont have a ps3 to play it with until friday. :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Damn that case is small. And it looks like they're already taking advantage of inside cover art, nice!

lynux3

For the record... the cases aren't cheap looking at all. Screenshots surely do not do them justice. The plastic is more clear than what pictures suggest and the case is very sturdy/durable. It's definately more durable than PS2 cases.

Edit: Also, the PLAYSTATION 3 strip on the side is thinner than what screenshots suggest as well. My only complaints are the red PS3 on the spine.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, that's insane. The graphics are at least a 9, especially by the standard of every next-gen game released so far taken into consideration.

The thing that always bothered me about the graphics is the look of everything. I love those creature designs, but everything in the game, whether it's a car or refrigerator or wall looks like it's made out of the same material. Like brown cardboard. But the effects and general chaos is unprecedented in console games, and that framerate considering how large the levels are is quite impressive. Combine that with 40 players online and you have something that at least deserves something above an 8.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Speevy said:
The thing that always bothered me about the graphics is the look of everything. I love those creature designs, but everything in the game, whether it's a car or refrigerator or wall looks like it's made out of the same material. Like brown cardboard. But the effects and general chaos is unprecedented in console games, and that framerate considering how large the levels are is quite impressive.

I see what you are saying but when you see the more alien like areas things change.

r1sl.jpg

928399_111206_screen002.jpg

928399_111206_screen038.jpg

And damn the detail in his face is crazy
928399_111206_screen015.jpg

GuessWho

looks too simple and when you see him taking cover, i was thinking man wheres the cover technique like in gow.

After playing Gears of War every other shooter looks average, and I'm not only talking about graphics here.

of course that video shows the first level, so can't really judge.

Dahbomb

TheTrin said:

Great impressions. I am assuming these Tier 2 weapons are like "upgrades" of previous weapons or are they original weapons like that giant fire cannon that one of the bosses was holding.

Deepblue

Banned
So, does it bug anyone else that when using the gun sight, it just pops up instead of there being an animation of the character bringing it up to his face? Just seems unpolished to leave it like that.

Dante

GuessWho said:
looks too simple and when you see him taking cover, i was thinking man wheres the cover technique like in gow.

After playing Gears of War every other shooter looks average, and I'm not only talking about graphics here.

I'm the exact opposite, I can't stand being in a "cover mode" feels way too resticting for me. Perhaps it one of the reasons i'm in the minority and not that into GOW.

darkks85

Banned
GuessWho said:

For liking Gears so much you people sure like to spend alot of time pointing on games saying it's no Gears instead of actually playing Gears...

Deepblue

Banned
Anyway, Resistence looks great, consider me envious of people who get to play it.

I'm not so envious of them dropping 500 on a PS3 though.

BuddyC

Deepblue said:
So, does it bug anyone else that when using the gun sight, it just pops up instead of there being an animation of the character bringing it up to his face? Just seems unpolished to leave it like that.
Nah, animations take time, and a delay like that would be distracting and annoying in the heat of battle.

You'd think the fact that it's not a cover shooter would be indicative of that these games are real different and therefore probably shouldn't be directly compared, but instead certain people seem to view these core differences as being indicative of shortcomings. Brilliant.

Striek said:
Game is getting hammered in the reader ratings at gamerankings the more positive reviews it gets. I don't think its a coincidence :)

Thank you.
wow.....they got some bad trolls over at gamerankings.com

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dahbomb said:
Great impressions. I am assuming these Tier 2 weapons are like "upgrades" of previous weapons or are they original weapons like that giant fire cannon that one of the bosses was holding.

OH no no no. They're COMPLETELY new weapons. There are quite a few regular enemies that had weapons I never got.

EDIT: I noticed someone posted the look of the US box art. Here's the JP box art:

294399505_3325a5a3f2.jpg

Dahbomb

TheTrin said:
OH no no no. They're COMPLETELY new weapons. There are quite a few regular enemies that had weapons I never got.
OH snapz this is AWESOME!!! :D

Please give descriptions when you get access to them. By the way did you get a chanse to try out the Reaper (aka chimera dual pistol weapon). I was wondering how the Alt Fire button worked on that.

thetrin

Dahbomb said:
OH snapz this is AWESOME!!! :D

Please give descriptions when you get access to them. By the way did you get a chanse to try out the Reaper (aka chimera dual pistol weapon). I was wondering how the Alt Fire button worked on that.

Actually, the reapers are the first second playthrough weapon!

Here's how they work:

When you bring out your reapers, aim at an enemy. Once the reticule turns red, start firing with one of your reapers. As you continue firing, turn to face another enemy, and you'll notice your firing hand turns to continue shooting your first target. Now, aim your new target reticule at a new enemy, and hold alternate fire. Now you have two targets.

The funny part is that early in the game, it's hard to shoot two people at the same time, as the reaper spits out so damn many bullets, things die too quickly. :p

Oh yes! Also keep in mind that they didn't exactly hold back with the weapons in the first playthrough. I had nine weapons and three grenade types at my disposal. I have a feeling that was only half of the final weapon count.

Also, about the story: There are so many questions left unanswered. The game hints at a few things that you don't really realize until you play the game again. Regardless, on its surface, the story is very cut and dry. What lies underneath, though, is far from that. Things become far more fishy as you go on, and the documents you pick up periodically in the game hint at so much more than what just the story tells you.

About skill points: Skill points are basically in game achievements. The concept is really cool. Instead of just giving you gloating points, skill points actually unlock concept art, and other tertiary goodies. There are both general skill points, as well as level specific ones. Some of the names are hilarious: "Why are these candles screaming?!"

Top Bottom