• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

lunlunqq

Wollan said:
You want to see a really cool effect in Resistance?
Take a look at the video on this page. The language is Norwegian, sorry about that, but they are basically trying the PS3 for the first time in private and got 2 hours to spend with it. They are very impressed by the elegance of the system (the quietness, the quick boot up..etc) and the game they praised the most was Resistance. In the last quarter of the movie they test the glass physics and it's really nice. Take a look:

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2006/10/27/481078.html

:D :D :D

very very nice. also, it seems like they are using the tilt control in motorstorm. is that new? i've never seen the tilt working in motorstorm before.

Wollan said:
Take a look at the video on this page. The language is Norwegian, sorry about that, but they are basically trying the PS3 for the first time in private and got 2 hours to spend with it. They are very impressed by the elegance of the system (the quietness, the quick boot up..etc) and the game they praised the most was Resistance. In the last quarter of the movie they test the glass physics and it's really nice. Take a look:

Where were that at? Sony's headquarters there? Since they try to walk out with the system near the end and they're stopped by some cute girl and they take it back in.

Sony's going to have a big cleanup job with all the fingerprints that put on the system by constantly handeling it. :p

Wollan

lunlunqq said:
:D :D :D

very very nice. also, it seems like they are using the tilt control in motorstorm. is that new? i've never seen the tilt working in motorstorm before.

They (Evolution studios) have said it's a pre release experiment but they may go for something else like having it be the 'in-air' control. You could choose between both controls in that demo.

SolidSnakex said:
Where were that at? Sony's headquarters there? Since they try to walk out with the system near the end and they're stopped by some cute girl and they take it back in.

Sony don't have any HQs in Norway I think so Nordic Film Interactive is basically responsible for importing and promoting the system over here, so I guess you could call it the HQ even though it isn't.. yeah. At the end they were joking about 'borrowing' the system for a couple of weeks more.

Safe Bet

Banned
Wollan said:
penguincrossing4gi6.jpg
I know you can't see it, but I'm shaking my fist at you right now saying "That rascaly varmit!".

;)

I was thinking of starting a Clan (again) but that depends on what you guys have planned.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Well who here thinks they can manage the clan?

As in doesnt have a job and other pesky resposibilities =)

I doubt I would be able to manage it, I hardly have time to manage my own life.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Safe Bet said:
I was thinking of starting a Clan (again) but I that depends on what you guys have planned.

How about starting a thread.

"Resistance: Fall of Man GAF Clan roster!"

Then asking who would like to join and keeping the roster in the first page. Would be nice to see how many here in GAF are interested.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:

The glass physics was quite impressive, I was kind of disappointed that they didn't just shoot a couple of holes and then shoot through the hole at something in a distance, that would be nice to see.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Well I am sad to announce that I will not have a PS3 this Christmas. All ToyRus around my area have about 20 people waiting. Many of them since yesterday. I can't compete with people this hardcore.

=(

I hope you bastards enjoy Resistance. Think about me while you shatter the glass of the windows and kill a few chimera in my name. I'll join you at the end of year or early next year.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
By all means go ahead. I was hoping for someone to step forward.
Yeah, I'm all for a gaf clan, but im too lazy to lead anything. :lol
I guess we will have to see what kind of clan features are there.

Wollan said:
I won't moderate/lead or control the clan (a responsible volunteer here?) but I can start adding a list to the top here for people who want to join. Say so if you want to be a part of a NeoGAF Resistance clan.
put me down, il be there launch day.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BobTheFork said:
put me down, il be there launch day.
put me down as well. :p

AltogetherAndrews said:
that was cool, the whole weird animal behavior, missing people, and shipping people to australia is all very cool and creepy at the same time. :D

I like this line the best...
""In the siege of Genoa, Italy, soldiers report of the extraordinary durability of Chimeran units. They are referred to as "the deathless plague" and many regard them as invincible.""

Manp

TheProfessor said:
Well I am sad to announce that I will not have a PS3 this Christmas. All ToyRus around my area have about 20 people waiting. Many of them since yesterday. I can't compete with people this hardcore.

=(

I hope you bastards enjoy Resistance. Think about me while you shatter the glass of the windows and kill a few chimera in my name. I'll join you at the end of year or early next year.

ooh... poor guy :°°°

think about waiting till march :lol

:)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Yeah i just read through each year on that site. Very intriguing! I'm really into the story now, and even more excited for the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheProfessor said:

=(

I will try to enjoy my pleasure more when considering your pain of not having a PS3 yep yep.
gladtomeetya.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Nice tag Kitty!

Hahaha, I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. I guess it's time for me to jump into Lake Ontario. Owned by the biggest name-throwing developer of all-time, for shame for shame.
gladtomeetya.gif

Sorry I'm so drunk right now, just came back from a wedding.
gladtomeetya.gif

On the other hand I finally have a unique tag yep yep.
gladtomeetya.gif

I love that site! The alternative story tid bits sound very cool! I love the attention to detail

I really hope they will be able to fit all that into the game's story

ghostmind

With this game likely becoming a series, they can take their time in telling the whole story - maybe showing multiple facets of the war, or different time periods, as the invasion progresses...

The fiction in this game really has me hooked too, as a huge WotW fan...

Wollan

Found this on the official forum (it originated from the Resistance Union @ Gamespot) Apparently there are secrets hidden around the site:

unlocked.png

The lights above the title will light up.

It looks like you will unlock them by randomly clicking the pages, if there is an order it's unknown.

The pages with discovered secrets so far are:
Runner
3rd Presidential term
Military Spending 1941

Wollan

AltogetherAndrews said:
And this secret content is..?

It's basically more info. You get secret documents on some happenings like Russian refugees dying from a disease and reports on a 'mutant army'..etc. Pretty interesting.

Wollan said:
It's basically more info. You get secret documents on some happenings like Russian refugees dying from a disease and reports on a 'mutant army'..etc. Pretty interesting.

Ah.

Not really on-topic, but I really hope Sony/Insomniac jumps on the collectibles bandwagon for this game. I don't mean a collector's edition of the game, but genuinely cool stuff like figurines, artbooks, etc.

Vibri

Banned
Resistance is pretty cool. I've spent 4-5 hours playing the preview code (four full levels). It varies between being very intense and pretty creepy.

I will say the game is HARD - the Halo style 4-bar energy regen system doesn't do much as a couple of mistakes and you're down to nothing.

Varied weapons are what makes the game great. Truly multiple ways to beat any scenario.

Wollan

Vibri said:
I will say the game is HARD

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at TGS as well. It was owning me left and right. It is really fun though but you really have to move smart and aim better.

Vibri

Banned
This might be a preview code issue but a big negative is that the soldiers fighting alonside you seem be pretty much brainless drones. You don't seem to affect their behaviour (like CoD) and they don't seem to do much damage. They just kinda stand about lamely and act as scene dressing.

Hopefully they tighten this up in final game as you'd expect awesome squad style AI in a CELL gaming machine.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Vibri said:
Resistance is pretty cool. I've spent 4-5 hours playing the preview code (four full levels). It varies between being very intense and pretty creepy.

I will say the game is HARD - the Halo style 4-bar energy regen system doesn't do much as a couple of mistakes and you're down to nothing.

Varied weapons are what makes the game great. Truly multiple ways to beat any scenario.

Great news. Anything else you want to share about the game?

Vibri

Banned
Feel free to ask and I can answer. Just be aware it's preview not final code.

edit -

My favorite thing is the secondary ability on the sniper rifle - which lets you physically slow down time for 5-6 seconds in zoom mode. Imagine dashing out into view, hitting zoom and slowing time on a group of sniper aliens, they spot you and start firing back, and you can actually see their rounds coming towards you in bullet time, and you have to pick them off before your own time slowdown effect runs out. The effect is awesome, with blurred vision and increasingly distressed/red view as your time runs out.

Wollan

Vibri said:

In what context did you attain this preview code for? I'm not totally sure about your background obviously and what you do (sorry about that).

You say 4-5 hours, is that the total amount of time you've spent replaying the levels and if so, how long did it take to finish those 4 levels once?

Vibri

Banned
I've finished the first couple of levels maybe 2-3 times each. The third level (indoor) is tougher, only finished it once. The last preview level is super tough, huge metallic spider bosses and stuff. It took about 30 mins to play though, though I probably tried 8-9 times to beat it making the playtime for that level 2-3 hours.

Tieno

Vibri said:
Is it a chaotic mess or dynamic fire fights? Is it backpedal firefights?
Do you feel as you know what's going on? Does it feel like you're playing a 'story' or just disconnected levels? (ala Tom Clancy games)
How do the enemies react to you? Do they shout at you?
Do the soldiers talk to you and react while in combat?
The levels, how open are they? Are they just big but straight forward?
How are the checkpoints?

Wollan

Do you know if those levels are structured in that order in the whole game or are they just test samples from various parts of the singleplayer campaign?

Vibri

Banned
Tieno said:
Is it a chaotic mess or dynamic fire fights? Is it backpedal firefights?
Do you feel as you know what's going on? Does it feel like you're playing a 'story' or just disconnected levels? (ala Tom Clancy games)
How do the enemies react to you? Do they shout at you?
Do the soldiers talk to you and react while in combat?
The levels, how open are they? Are they just big but straight forward?
How are the checkpoints?

1. Yes it's a cohesive story, but I won't go into spoilers.

2. Only seen 5-6 enemy types in the preview code but they do vary. They vary according to the weapons they have (like one enemy carries a weapon that shoots though walls/buildings so you need to act accordingly) and some stronger ones actually rush attack you into retreating.

3. They communicate but not as much as I expected, they seem tied more to trigger events (plane crashing etc). I'm guessing this is just not implemented fully yet.

4. They're pretty big. Imagine an open field with various gun placements and multiple ways to progress up. The AI/physics is fairly advanced so I'm guessing they kept it open on purpose to allow for emergent type play.

5. There are checkpoints, but they're not forgiving (in the preview code). 10 minutes or so apart.

Alias03

Got this in the mail yesterday, but just noticed it tonight. Didn't see them posted so I thought this would be the perfect place. Confidential Documents from Playstation Underground (these are not my pics but from the Official R:FOM forum)

DSCF0411-1.jpg

DSCF0414-1.jpg

DSCF0416.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

Proelite

SilentHill said:
Got this in the mail yesterday, but just noticed it tonight. Didn't see them posted so I thought this would be the perfect place. Confidential Documents from Playstation Underground (these are not my pics but from the Official R:FOM forum)

OLD.

Top Bottom