• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

artist

Banned
Manp said:
default.jpeg
This guy should audition for the next Superman movie. :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
I assumed they were talking about environments looking bigger than they are, due to good compositing of background reference visuals and actual game environments.

I don't think that's exactly what they mean.

Yoboman said:
Supposedly levels like Cheddar Gorge offer huge, open areas with vehicles though, so it looks like there will be quite abit of variety

Cheddar Gorge? Is that a nickname you gave Shattered Gorge?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kittonwy said:
The AIs do kill enemies, they just won't finish the fight for the player. I think that's a good thing though.
I'm not really sure what the distinction is here...if they can kill the enemies then they can finish the fight. Didn't Ted say in a recent vid that they could finish off enemies?

Chiggs said:

No, that's the name of it. It's a real location.

kaching said:
I'm not really sure what the distinction is here...if they can kill the enemies then they can finish the fight. Didn't Ted say in a recent vid that they could finish off enemies?

There is a difference between them finishing off a few enemies on their own and them winning a fight for you.

Wollan

Chiggs said:

It is actually called Cheddar Gorge. It's a location in England (where the worlds oldest human fossil was found no less, no clue if it ties in with the game).

The game felt very much on rails yes at TGS but it varies as after a corridor walk you suddenly end up in a huge hangar the size of a football field where you can walk in any direction and fight. The combat is always thrilling no matter the location though.

To this day I think Halo 1 still has the best balance with open room but still keeping it focused. Hopefully Resistance moves out of the cities from time to time and the description of Cheddar Gorge from 1up sounded just like that with vehicle driving across fields..etc. I got to admit I really love that stuff.

Wollan said:
(where the worlds oldest human fossil was found no less, no clue if it ties in with the game).

Off topic, but this is not exactly true...did you mean to say the oldest skeletal remains in England?

anyone get teh felling that this game is doom3d after watching those GoW multiplayer movies?

I think Insomniac needs to release some goddamn multiplayer movies, a cool multiplayer trailer would suffice

Wollan

Arde0 said:
Off topic, but this is not exactly true...did you mean to say the oldest skeletal remains in England?

My memory is hazy so that may be true but I think Wikipedia worded it differently. I need to recheck.
Edit: You are correct. England's oldest skeleton. 9000+ years old.

Doom_Bringer said:
anyone get teh felling that this game is doom3d after watching those GoW multiplayer movies?

Are you kidding me? Seriously, go watch the multiplayer videos in the first post. All six of them.

Wollan said:
Are you kidding me? Seriously, go watch the multiplayer videos in the first post. All six of them.

I need to see more, one low quality footage that barely shows anything at all does nothing for me.

AND I NEED TO SEE TEH VEHICLES

Proelite

I think that the fact Resistance has 40 player multiplayer makes it competitive next to Gears. As for the sp, we'll have to see.

Wollan

Karma Kramer said:
Are there vechicals?

For singleplayer but not multiplayer. A pure design decision as they felt on foot only was the most thrilling for multiplayer.

Proelite said:
I think that the fact Resistance has 40 player multiplayer makes it competitive next to Gears.

The games are so wildly different that you can't compare them this way or most ways.
What you can compare though is features outside the actual matches and from what I've gathered Resistance has a lot more going to it it seems with character upgrades, military ranks, matchmaking for ranked games, server lists for custom games..etc.

Proelite said:
Not in mp, just like Gears.

Danm that sucks... even with those huge mp maps? Gears is relatively small for vechicals, even though it would be kinda cool if there were a couple maps that were bigger and supported some sort of vechical. But I can't imagine no vechicals in Resistence. I mean Halo 1 and 2 proved that vechicals are an extremely entertaining aspect of FPS's.

I don't think I'll mind the lack of vehicles, as long as the environments adjust to the amount of players in the game. If these were 8 v 8 matches in massive environments, then it'd be one thing.

Wollan

The levels do indeed adjust in size according to how many players there are (or I guess you can set the level size yourself).

Safe Bet

Banned
Wollan said:
The levels do indeed adjust in size according to how many players there are (or I guess you can set the level size yourself).
I wonder if they will give us complete control on map size instead of the game automatically setting the amount of players per map, etc...

40 players on a small map would be fun once in awhile, brainless yes but still fun. ;)

sangreal

Safe Bet said:
I wonder if they will give us complete control on map size instead of the game automatically setting the amount of players per map, etc...

40 players on a small map would be fun once in awhile, brainless yes but still fun. ;)

According to OPM only 4 of the 11 maps support 40 players, with the rest being 8 to 32. They don't mention the resizing maps, but they do say:

And then there are custom games, in which the game host can create an almost infinitely customizable competitive experience: Which one of the six game types do you want? Which of the 11 maps do you want to play in? What weapons do you want in the game? Infinite respawn or limited lives? How many lives? The list goes on.

BuddyC

Safe Bet said:
Back when I saw the game in August, they were saying that you'd be able to put, say, 8 players in a map sized for 40 players, but not the other way around.

AltogetherAndrews said:
What I don't quite get is why there has been so few demonstrations of the MP component. Seems almost backwards to me.

I think they're trying to keep most of the game hidden so it comes as a surprise to people when they play it. I don't even think we've seen any of the vehicles in action yet.

SolidSnakex said:
I think they're trying to keep most of the game hidden so it comes as a surprise to people when they play it. I don't even think we've seen any of the vehicles in action yet.

They showed off the tank in the TGS trailer. It was in an urban area fighting two WidowMakers

2aakgex.jpg

2r4uarn.jpg

I think you can also drive that mechanical spider vehicle *Shown in the PSM scans a few months back but it could have been a free roaming camera shot showing the battlefield

SolidSnakex said:

Well, I understand that approach in regards to SP, but that's what makes this seem so backwards. Other devs show off MP like there is no tomorrow, but most of the official media for Resistance seems to focus on SP. If the company wanted to keep anything secret, you'd think it'd be the SP content.

Wollan

It's pretty surreal looking at that scene. On the top left you have a old brick by brick castle tower, in front of you there's a huge alien monster, on the right a spider mech and you're in a tank.

Fusebox

Banned
I love the look of this game but I've never felt comfortable playing an FPS with the dual-shock so I'm not sure how I'll feel about using the sticks on the sixaxis until I try it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
deejay8595 said:
No vehicles in co-op ....
O_O thats weird, I thought it was just no vehicles in online. Which was a design decision. Why would they take the vehicles out of the single player co-op?

edit: beaten lol

Speevy

Banned
The game looks spectacular in every shot I've seen of it, but if you told me those screens just posted were from the new a PC World War 2 game, I'd believe you.

BuddyC

deejay8595 said:
No vehicles in co-op ....
Wrong. In fact, the vehicles are designed with co-op in mind. Rather, it's the full-fledged multiplayer mode that doesn't have any vehicles.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Speevy said:
The game looks spectacular in every shot I've seen of it, but if you told me those screens just posted were from the new a PC World War 2 game, I'd believe you.
I'm afraid I have to agree with ya, besides the jeep itself, the level looks a little ..weak. Hope those are just early screens or somthing. The guy on top seems to be shooting at nothing but grass and rocks so I hope so. Everything else I've seen is sweet though as you said.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bad_Boy said:
I'm afraid I have to agree with ya, besides the jeep itself, the level looks a little ..weak. Hope those are just early screens or somthing. The guy on top seems to be shooting at nothing but grass and rocks so I hope so. Everything else I've seen is sweet though as you said.

Yeah those pics look nothing like the game we seen for the last few months.

Bad_Boy said:

Almost certainly old, the game looks better than that.

Speevy said:

Looks like they are dedicated SpeedTree shots though.

Top Bottom