• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

Why do my guys keep dying? I pick up the ones that hit the floor, but some of them just die in their boxes? I'm missing something here I'm sure.

Orca

Why do my guys keep dying? I pick up the ones that hit the floor, but some of them just die in their boxes? I'm missing something here I'm sure.

Yeah I'm not clear on that stuff either. Is there a tutorial or menu with instructions and explanations? I just started playing lol

It took me a while to realize I needed to save the little guys, and then more time to figure out where to take them. HD Defender is pretty amazing though.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
You have to eliminate all the keepers to free the humans from boxes. if you don't defeat the keepers needed after a certain time, the human in the box dies.

Flarin

Me and my room mate picked up a PS4 at midnight and played this game until almost 2 am. The concept is so simple, but damn if it isn't engrossing and fun to play. I'm sitting here at work thinking about playing more, lol.

lunlunqq

Yeah I'm not clear on that stuff either. Is there a tutorial or menu with instructions and explanations? I just started playing lol

It took me a while to realize I needed to save the little guys, and then more time to figure out where to take them. HD Defender is pretty amazing though.

There are special enemies called "guardians" that will appear for a short amount of time for each human. You successfully killed the whole batch of guardians; one human will be released from his cell. Even if one of the guardians gets away, the human dies in his cell. The guardians glow a different color from other enemies. Before they appear, there is an audio warning of "guardian detected."

BTW, I haven't played this game or read anything about it. These are just what I picked up from watch a few streams. So it may not be 100% correct... ;)

Darksol

Very first thing I snapped with my PS4. Nothing special (especially compared to some of the shots on this page), but I'm really liking this PS4 feature.

boom.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This game seems so damn awesome, but am I the only one who gets a bit frustrated every time someone uses "voxels" to refer to something that is clearly not voxels? If you understand what voxels really are (volumetric pixels) and how they work, you also realize that a mass of rotating and tumbling 3D cubes couldn't possibly be voxels. They are simply small polygonal cubes. The way the actual levels are built might be similar to a voxel implementation, but what you're seeing on screen is just regular polygons (and particles, etc). /rant

Reule

Uh, I need help. Downloaded Resogun but had this message:

"Cannot start the application.

This application can be started only by a user who has a license for it".

Edit: I fixed it going to Settings>PSN>Restore Licenses. I guess PSN Store was having issues. Hope it doesn't happen again. :(

Jedi2016

hmm, no impressions here?
This is as good an impression as any.

My TV could barely keep with it, it's no wonder no compression algorithm in the world can stand a chance. I cannot describe just how much shit is flying around the screen during Armageddon. It is CRAZY.

In-game updates (via the computer voice, i.e. "weapon upgraded") come from the controller. I've tried two games so far (this and Knack) and they both use the controller speaker. Very cool.

Darksol

In-game updates (via the computer voice, i.e. "weapon upgraded") come from the controller. I've tried two games so far (this and Knack) and they both use the controller speaker. Very cool.

I love, love, love that feature. It just adds a certain depth and quality to the voice to hear it coming from multiple sources.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This game seems so damn awesome, but am I the only one who gets a bit frustrated every time someone uses "voxels" to refer to something that is clearly not voxels? If you understand what voxels really are (volumetric pixels) and how they work, you also realize that a mass of rotating and tumbling 3D cubes couldn't possibly be voxels. They are simply small polygonal cubes. The way the actual levels are built might be similar to a voxel implementation, but what you're seeing on screen is just regular polygons (and particles, etc). /rant
When you explain it like that it sound like what they are doing is somehow lesser, but this would probably be a 100x easier / less computation intensive to render using actual voxels. Of course you wouldn't then be able to have cubes shaded or to have them tumble and bounce or anything.

This game seems so damn awesome, but am I the only one who gets a bit frustrated every time someone uses "voxels" to refer to something that is clearly not voxels?

I get a little annoyed, sure, but I think people are just using the word "voxels" because it sounds cool, and it's a lot easier to say than "tons of little tumbling cubes everywhere". It's not the first time a technical term has been usurped by common usage.

When you explain it like that it sound like what they are doing is somehow lesser

It didn't sound to me like he was saying it's a lesser thing, just that it's technically not voxels. Having sex on the Holodeck wouldn't be voxels either but that doesn't mean it would suck.

Romir

This game is a treat with a good subwoofer. It has some deep LFE effects.

I feel like a dolt for not being able to figure out when the dash is up though. Managing that was key in SS:HD.

The Keepers are enemies that have a green glow around them.
You get a voice notification when a new keeper group is spawned.
You kill the Keepers, and the human chamber they're connected to is then broken/unlocked.

Note that the humans are entirely optional, and all of your main weapon upgrades are obtained through the powerup ship.

It's a lot to take in at first, but give it time and it will click.

This game is mind-bogglingly addictive. Having a lot more fun than I imagined I would.

Edit: to add to what's stated above, I notice I lose 1 or 2 humans immediately, even without the green glowing aliens spawning. It's a little maddening.n

Brashnir

Finally got through the PSN "Please Wait" debacle and played a little bit of this.

I never liked Defender back when it was popular, so I came into this game with minimal expectations. After a couple games (in which I played terribly), I have to say that it's a pretty fun and well-executed game, and I'm enjoying it more than I ever liked Defender. That said, I do have a couple complaints.

1 - This is an issue with me as much as it is with the game, but the fact that they chose to use the right stick to shoot causes me to try to shoot up or down whenever I have enemies above or below my ship. That muscle memory is built in at this point, and I doubt I'll ever get over it. I didn't look through the options - can you set fire left/right to square and circle or something?

I also would prefer to have bomb on R1 and Overdrive on R2.

2 - The loading times between levels is kind of a bummer. Fast arcade action should be, well, fast. Having to stop and look at a loading screen every time you advance a level kinda sucks. It's not the biggest deal in the world, and it's probably a symptom of being a launch title, but that doesn't stop it from being a bit of a drag.

kyser73

Finally got through the PSN "Please Wait" debacle and played a little bit of this.

I never liked Defender back when it was popular, so I came into this game with minimal expectations. After a couple games (in which I played terribly), I have to say that it's a pretty fun and well-executed game, and I'm enjoying it more than I ever liked Defender. That said, I do have a couple complaints.

1 - This is an issue with me as much as it is with the game, but the fact that they chose to use the right stick to shoot causes me to try to shoot up or down whenever I have enemies above or below my ship. That muscle memory is built in at this point, and I doubt I'll ever get over it. I didn't look through the options - can you set fire left/right to square and circle or something?

I also would prefer to have bomb on R1 and Overdrive on R2.

2 - The loading times between levels is kind of a bummer. Fast arcade action should be, well, fast. Having to stop and look at a loading screen every time you advance a level kinda sucks. It's not the biggest deal in the world, and it's probably a symptom of being a launch title, but that doesn't stop it from being a bit of a drag.

1. Adapt your muscles :p

2. Can't you reconfigure the layout through an options screen on the title page? You could on SSHD, can't see why you couldn't with Reso

Love it so far. Basic controls, good enemy draw patterns, and race to pick up hostages is a lot of fun. Online co-op is good as well.

Brashnir

1. Adapt your muscles :p

2. Can't you reconfigure the layout through an options screen on the title page? You could on SSHD, can't see why you couldn't with Reso

your 2 doesn't really have anything to do with my 2, but I'm not sure. I had to step away from the TV for a while. If it can be, that's cool. I hope so.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
the bosses are a lot more intense than i thought. awesome game so far. playing this while Killzone downloads.

and the controller is way better than i imagined.

see5harp

This game is awesome. I feel like this is a big step up from Super Stardust HD. A lot more to manage, a much tougher difficulty, and some really tough trophies. I cannot even beat this thing on challenging but can get through rookie without a continue. I'm #9 on the rookie leaderboard.

EDIT: and yes, the DS4 is a much better controller than the DS3. It's not even remotely close. You can plug a damn set of standard headphones into the thing and having a wired mic to the controller is awesome. You can plug a standard iPhone headset into it (unlike Vita).

So I was lttp on figuring out that you can hold boost for as long as there is a chain of enemies at your disposal. Doing almost a full circle whilst boosting is crazy good. This game is gorgeous. Even my mom likes watching me play it haha.

Top Bottom