• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Augemitbutter said:
i guess gamers are spoiled by huge unrealistic racks, they get irritated by the small.

good thread.
I've actually found huge racks to be off putting, I much prefer average sized/small breasts on my female characters. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seriously, how the hell is any English VA, Nolan North included, supposed to do that dance scene. I almost want to play it just to see the trainwreck. :lol

Dresden

I think most people familiar with Japanese anime or games are turned off by huge boobs, since they usually signal a terrible product. :lol

It's like the Umineko anime, where the female characters all had their breasts tripled in size.

zlatko

Banned
Tons of reviews are poking out around the net. I'll leave it up to the OP of thread to check out www.n4g.com and type in RoF in search to find the scores and such.

It's score 80% + right now. I think Eurogamer said it was the best JRPG of this generation, but only to fans of JRPGs , unlike FF13 that might please more casual players.

That's pretty crazy stuff. :O

Dresden

zlatko said:
Tons of reviews are poking out around the net. I'll leave it up to the OP of thread to check out www.n4g.com and type in RoF in search to find the scores and such.

It's score 80% + right now. I think Eurogamer said it was the best JRPG of this generation, but only to fans of JRPGs , unlike FF13 that might please more casual players.

That is pretty crazy shit. Who would've thought that Tri-Ace would actually make a good game, after their recent trainwrecks?

Although I think EoE had Valkyrie Profile guys working on it. That might explain it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
It's like the Umineko anime, where the female characters all had their breasts tripled in size.
Yeah, Studio DEEN successfully killed the atmosphere presented in the source material with that abomination of an adaption.

On Topic, I wonder why they changed Reanbell's name and no one elses.

Llyranor

To be fair, Eurogamer only says it'll feel like the best JRPG this gen at times. The rest of the time it's too difficult! Which is even more awesome!

=GabrielKnight= said:
just noticed this:

this shot is from a video of the japanese ps3 version

207qb0h.jpg

and this is from the usa/pal version, machine unknown

2i7o93o.jpg

why so much difference?

Jap - Western changes (could make sense, it's a
blackout scene
), or PS3/360 version differences?
So, uh, anyone have an idea as to what the Hell is going on here?

Dresden

So, uh, anyone have an idea as to what the Hell is going on here?
Kinda looks like a 360 shot. Someone posted a comparison pic in the other thread, and the lighting in the 360 version looks a lot like what's on his coat, compared to the top picture.

survivor

Banned
Eurogamer's Review said:
Indeed, this is one of those few games in which you must pay in-game credits to continue from a Game Over screen, with tiered payment plans depending on how much of your party's energy you wish to restore.
So about the game over thingy, what exactly does it mean? If I die in a battle, and I use the in-game credit, do I go back to the same battle or to my last save file?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I never stopped believing.

So about the game over thingy, what exactly does it mean? If I die in a battle, and I use the in-game credit, do I go back to the same battle or to my last save file?
same battle.

Dresden said:
Kinda looks like a 360 shot. Someone posted a comparison pic in the other thread, and the lighting in the 360 version looks a lot like what's on his coat, compared to the top picture.
So the 360 version is washed out? This is a pretty strange and huge difference.

Einbroch

Banned
This thread is making me really want the game. I was going to wait for a price drop, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammit.

jrricky

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Everything Tri-ace has made for this generation has been wretched, I hope the Radiata Stories team can break the unholy cycle of suck! :lol
zlatko said:

I read that thinking that was its average, and went OMG this 'might' be good (Even though the battle system looks janky)...but alas that will quickly fall...

Rpgmonkey

zlatko said:

Thanks.

Game's looking pretty solid altogether, shame that it's going to be so low-profile.

InfiniteNine said:
I've actually found huge racks to be off putting, I much prefer average sized/small breasts on my female characters. :lol

As do I.

I'll probably pick this game up eventually, got too many games as it is already at the moment.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Great OP, thanks a lot for making it, Rpgmonkey.

I REALLY hope they have this game at Best Buy tomorrow when I go to pick up Pokémon. Otherwise I'll just have to make the trip up there again on Wednesday :lol Can't wait for this game!

Suairyu

Banned
Mm, this game does look quite interesting. The battle system seems like it'll scratch the "I want JRPG gameplay but I want something new!" itch that's been festering away since I completed Valkyria Chronicles, though the character design does seem slightly on the grating side (but big props for having a main female character with average proportions! Boo@everyone who is calling her "small").

Given it won't be the most popular game in the world, I'm sure it'll drop to a ridiculous £15 or less on one of the big UK supermarket websites within a couple of weeks, so I'll hold off until then.

I know I'm rather late but great work Rpgmonkey & DarKaoZ! We should collaborate more in the future gentlemen.

Over the weekend at work I took notice when another individual ordered this. Someone else ordered it for the 360. So at least that's 2 people looking forward to this once it comes in.

I can't believe you guys have been going about. I'm more of a nice petite package overall if you catch my drift ;)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Remember kids, Tri-Ace games are all about the battle system, item creation and the fun ways you can break the game by exploiting the various bonus and items in the game. Do not come in looking for great characters, VA, cutscenes, story. Since this is the VP team, it won't be as wacky as SO4, but it will have its share of bad moments. Its day one for me.

This thread is a shining example of why I love/hate GAF. Love because with the flurry of 'big' releases, I hadn't even heard of this game. I got Yakuza 3, Final Fantasy 13, and Battlefield BC 2 in the past 3 weeks, and picking up GoW3 today. I need a new game about as bad as Ben Roethlisberger needs to be in a college town bar. But I read this thread, watch a video or two, and come to realize I don't just want this game now, that's childish. I needs it, and when you need something, that's a responsibility.

Dont care that it comes out tomorrow though, since Im going today to pick up my GoW3 preorder.

Dead

well not really...yet
Damn, I want to get this asap, but im still not done with FF13 and some other stuff

I want to play some fashion simulator/john woo simulator rpg :(

hamchan

Just bought the PS3 Asia English version from hkofferhouse. I have a crapload of uni work, FFXIII, Yakuza 3 and GOW 1,2,3 to play so why am I buying this? Because I'm nuts that's why. Unfortunately for Sega not everybody is nuts.

Suairyu

Banned
truly101 said:
Remember kids, Tri-Ace games are all about the battle system, item creation and the fun ways you can break the game by exploiting the various bonus and items in the game. Do not come in looking for great characters, VA, cutscenes, story.
: (

Back in my day, we could have both.

Pein

Banned
What a terrible release date. My money is gone thanks to yakuza 3, FF XIII, GOW3 and pokemon. God dammit sega. Oh well will buy at the end of the month.

Varion

Einbroch said:
This thread is making me really want the game. I was going to wait for a price drop, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammit.

Same :lol I'm fighting against myself here.

Anyone know anywhere selling it in the UK cheaper than Amazon's £38 that isn't shopto?

Varion said:

Anyone know anywhere selling it in the UK cheaper than Amazon's £38 that isn't shopto?

http://www.gamestracker.com/buy-resonance-of-fate-compare-prices-ps3.htm

Gameplay are pretty much GAME/Gamestation and I've used Coolshop before, they deliver quickly but the game wasn't sealed if that matters (it wasn't a recent release so I don't know whether or not that would affect things).

Dead

well not really...yet
zlatko said:
http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/03/15/resonance-of-fate-first-ten-minutes/

First ten minutes of the game for anyone interested. I didn't watch it to avoid spoilers, but for anyone still on the fence maybe this will sway you in the right direction.
What the hell

It looks like there are random bits of dialogue that aren't voiced. at 7:39, Reanbell and Vashyron both say something, but there are no voices

If the dub is like this the entire game, that is a major fail

That rpgland article is missing important details and contains mistakes. Whoever wrote it apparently thinks it covers 'everything' when it does far from that.. it's more of an instruction manual than anything.

Switching characters only consumes time if you want to re-use the same person twice or more in a row. After using one character and ending their turn, pressing LT/RT switches between the remaining two characters without time loss. To use the same character again, you have to press B (or cancel, whatever) and you can access them again - which does cost a small bit of time, and it also erases any resonance points you had built up. Once you use all 3 characters you can once again switch between them all without time loss. The developers added this to encourage you to use all 3 characters in a row instead of rely on just one or two.

They failed to mention that you can press RT/LT to switch between the character leading the resonance attack after pressing the resonance button.

They don't explain the enemy attack gague that resides above each enemy's head. This is one of the most basic elements of the game. For example, the letter on the enemy attack gague (V, Z, or R/L) indicates who they are targetting. They also fail to mention interrupting enemy attacks, which is one of the most basic strategies. You can interrupt enemies attack gague by running behind cover, knocking them in the air, or freezing them.

Well unless they revised the article after I complained, but w/e.

Some more details:

There are 10 difficulty levels that are unlockable one after the other. The highest one is 5x enemy HP/ATK. However the game can be broken with lv 100 machine guns that do 100% scratch damage and kill almost anything in 1-2 hits.

From a gamefaqs poster:

"Here are some bulletpoints for "blast up" -

* Cancels enemy action (vital on harder difficulties)
* The guage that appears continues to fill as you shoot the enemy in the air
* When a chance to stop the guage occurs, you can cancel it and save the guage with B
* Guage carries over to other enemies, even other areas, until you stop it in the follow up attack zone
* Once stopped in the zone you can *charge infinitely*, all the way to level 100% if your gun is fast enough. This is also vital on harder difficulties as it allows a low level weapon user to still get big MG damage / skills etc. off."

mAcOdIn

Dead said:
What the hell

It looks like there are random bits of dialogue that aren't voiced. at 7:39, Reanbell and Vashyron both say something, but there are no voices

If the dub is like this the entire game, that is a major fail
That was odd. Wonder if that was meant to just "fade" out like that or if it's really missing dialog, or if a button was pressed that started loading the next screen.

Suairyu

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
No, it was just easier to pretend you did.
Partly true. I was a lot more forgiving back then. But Baldur's Gate certainly gave me both! VAs aside, that is.

Thing is, there's already a degree of storytelling immaturity I expect from all JRPGs as a standard that I can usually just ignore and enjoy as cheap anime fluff, so if someone goes out of their way to point out I shouldn't expect anything from the story department I get worried.

duckroll

NOTHING in that video is "unvoiced'. They recorded a desynced video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMu7qYyEEM4#t=4m10s

This is the JP game, the lines are exactly the same. But the audio in the English video is desynced and it makes it look like there are unvoiced lines. You can tell it is desynced because you hear the tutorial text chime while the prologue chapter text is still showing, and you hear the NPC's "hmmm..." voice before the town even loads in the video.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ok false alarm.

The video in that link is just not in sync. duckroll just linked me the original japanese version to prove it.

Just what sort of shenanigans is Amazon pulling here? My RoF pre-order still has a date of March 19th as estimated arrival, while the game's actual page is stating that it usually ships in '2 to 3 weeks'. Same thing with Fragile for the Wii. This is potentially uncool.

Suairyu

Banned
Varion said:

Tescos will have this at an absurdly discounted price within a matter of weeks. It just isn't worth getting a niche title like this day one unless you're convinced the amount of fun you'll be getting out of this game is worth the early adopter tax.

Couldn't they find a better time to release this game? Between FF13, Yakuza 2, GoW3, MegaMan 10, Rondo, Cave Story next week. Holy fuck, I need to quit my job.

Top Bottom