• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Cowie

If this is seriously the reason as to why they fogged everything up... really stupid.

Ha, I assume you haven't been following the clusterfuck in the Yakuza 3 thread. Sega removed content that was in the original Japanese release and claimed that it 'Wouldn't resonate with western audiences.' I don't think that's actually what happened here.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
=GabrielKnight= said:
just noticed this:

this shot is from a video of the japanese ps3 version

207qb0h.jpg

and this is from the usa/pal version, machine unknown

2i7o93o.jpg

why so much difference?

Jap - Western changes (could make sense, it's a
blackout scene
), or PS3/360 version differences?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 360 ver on the bottom, in the japanese comparation article, the 360 ver is missing some things. There is an specific screenshot that shows that the 360 ver doesn't have a door when the PS3 ver shows it.

I need to find the article... hmm...

found it:

sEoE_11_360.jpg

sEoE_11_PS3.jpg

As you can see, the 360 ver is lacking the door on the left side of the screenshot, while the PS3 has a door in there.

Well this is my assumption, but its not big deal, is not like you will notice those small things, unless you know they are missing. :lol

mAcOdIn

-DarKaoZ- said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 360 ver on the bottom, in the japanese comparation article, the 360 ver is missing some things. There is an specific screenshot that shows that the 360 ver doesn't have a door when the PS3 ver shows it.

I need to find the article... hmm...

found it:

As you can see, the 360 ver is lacking the door on the left side of the screenshot, while the PS3 has a door in there.

Well this is my assumption, but its not big deal, is not like you will notice those small things, unless you know they are missing. :lol
Lol, what an "odd" change, are we sure there's no door and that it's not just opened? I mean, surely it's easier to render a closed door than an open one with handrails and shit in the background, right? I mean, why wouldn't the door be there?

Dead

well not really...yet
mAcOdIn said:
Lol, what an "odd" change, are we sure there's no door and that it's not just opened? I mean, surely it's easier to render a closed door than an open one with handrails and shit in the background, right? I mean, why wouldn't the door be there?
In this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMu7qYyEEM4#t=4m10s

Door is closed

In this one: http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/03/15/resonance-of-fate-first-ten-minutes/

Door is open

Those pics are from that scene.

First link must be from the PS3 even though the dudes channel is called "Xboxla"

jorgeton

Ugh. I want this game. And am deep in FF13 land. Part of me just wants to play them both at the same time and have my head explode a little bit.

So what's this about you being able to customize your characters' appearances? It's about time an RPG let me channel my inner Rachel Zoe whilst blasting baddies to bits.

mAcOdIn

Dead said:
In this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMu7qYyEEM4#t=4m10s

Door is closed

In this one: http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/03/15/resonance-of-fate-first-ten-minutes/

Door is open

Those pics are from that scene.

First link must be from the PS3 even though the dudes channel is called "Xboxla"
Lol, that's so pointlessly funny, I just see no reason for that technically.

Not that it matters to me as I want the PS3 version, well I'm buying it regardless, but still, how weird.

Runus

YuriLowell said:
yay mine is shipping soon from amazon. Can't wait to play.

Sigh, mine still says 'Not Yet Shipped' They need to get on it! I noticed that if you open the page for buying the game now it also says 'Ships in 2 to 3 weeks' Is that normal the day a game releases on Amazon? I have never noticed one say that before. I hope they don't have super low stock. I will be pissed if it doesn't ship today.

alanias

Shadow Red said:
Great thread. So overall how long is the game? I'm thinking at least 80+ hours with side quests?
According to the import review on RPGfan it can be blown through in 25 if you skip all the sidequest, or take 80 if you do them all. It is organized in chapters and if you move to the next chapter all uncompleted sidequests are lost.

2San

firehawk12 said:
Wait, this isn't another one of those "It's clearly better on one console" games is it?
Yes it is, it's so obvious the one with the door open is better! Take that ps3, the cell clearly doesn't have enough power to handle the graphics.

yes, I am joking

Ah still w8ing for 23 march to come. :(

mjc

firehawk12 said:
Wait, this isn't another one of those "It's clearly better on one console" games is it?

Nope, both versions should be identical. I'm getting it on 360 though.

Bebpo

Banned
Runus said:
Sigh, mine still says 'Not Yet Shipped' They need to get on it! I noticed that if you open the page for buying the game now it also says 'Ships in 2 to 3 weeks' Is that normal the day a game releases on Amazon? I have never noticed one say that before. I hope they don't have super low stock. I will be pissed if it doesn't ship today.

same. I wonder if Sega undershipped this.

Their loss if they did. If it's going to take 2-3 weeks, might as well cancel and get when it inevitably drops to $40 in a month or two.

Runus

Bebpo said:
same. I wonder if Sega undershipped this.

Their loss if they did. If it's going to take 2-3 weeks, might as well cancel and get when it inevitably drops to $40 in a month or two.

Mine just changed to shipping soon! :D So excited for this game.

I don't really have a big issue with these graphical things people are showing. So long the core gameplay is identical and nothing major is different then I could care less. A good game is a good game. Although the door thing is rather strange.

I poopsocked about 36 hours of FF13 in 4 days. I like it but im a tad burnt and need to take a break. This looks like a good diversion.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Great OP and thumbs up to small breasted females. Getting this tomorrow, unfortunately I'm gonna wait till I'm finished with FF13 before embarking on another long and complex game. Love tri-Ace, think the only games I didn't particularly care for by them are SO3 and IU, and I most especially appreciate whenever they try an unorthodox take on traditional RPG pacing and battle mechanics.

zlatko

Banned
chifanpoe said:
Just got the word from my GS, coming tomorrow.

Same here. I called in and was heart broken to hear they didn't get it today. The GS guy even asked me if I had it reserved, and he said if I didn't that I'd have to show up early, because they only got 2 extra copies outside of what people reserved.

If the word spreads about this game being good and SEGA seems to have undershipped then expect this to be hard to find for a while...

Sidenote: I was going to rent God of War 3 today too, but for the very first time ever the people in my town beat me to the punch in all 3 video stores. I woke up at 11:30AM and they were ALL gone already. Now I have to wait till Friday to play with Kratos, but at least I have RoF tomorrow. Still waiting on my SF4 collectors edition to show up in the mail too along with a SF4 TE Round 2 Arcade stick....God I'm poor. :lol

Median

survivor said:
Hopefully Canadian GS will get them tomorrow too. Should give me more time to do a FF13 marathon today.

I'm stopping in at work today to pick up God of War, will check what the ETA is on the game when I'm there.

Poetic

I have to pick my copy up tomorrow. I pre-ordered this and God of War 3. Just going to grab them both tomorrow. Still playing FF13, just got to the last chapter.

survivor

Banned
Really hoping Canada doesn't get it a day late. March break is on and I wanna spend most of the time gaming.

Checking both GS websites, the US one has it "Ships in 24 hours" while the Canadian one still says Pre-order arrives March 16" something like that.

zlatko

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Which version is the best technically speaking (except from these pointless door/no door stuff)

There is no best version and don't let anyone on these boards tell you otherwise. Grab whatever one you want. If you like achievements go 360, if you like trophies then go PS3, and if you don't like or care about either then pick whatever controller you prefer for RPGs.

Varion

electroshockwave said:
Gameplay are pretty much GAME/Gamestation and I've used Coolshop before, they deliver quickly but the game wasn't sealed if that matters (it wasn't a recent release so I don't know whether or not that would affect things).
Thanks. Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of variation in price though... and what's up with Coolshop having it as April 9th? :lol

Suairyu said:
Tescos will have this at an absurdly discounted price within a matter of weeks. It just isn't worth getting a niche title like this day one unless you're convinced the amount of fun you'll be getting out of this game is worth the early adopter tax.
That's what I expected would happen with Star Ocean 4 International too though, but that hasn't inched down by more than £3 and it's been out for over a month now.

I dunno, you might be right. But I wouldn't really be surprised if they undershipped it either - Amazon for one shot right through their first shipment of SO4 within days and don't seem to want another one, and this will probably get even less copies sent out.

beat

Nice. I like John Woo type action enough that just mentioning this has me interested in the game.

satori

Yay another game to add to my backlog! Will definitely be one of the top priority for me tho, right behind Dragon age expansion, GoW3, and maaaaaybe ff13....

zlatko said:
There is no best version and don't let anyone on these boards tell you otherwise. Grab whatever one you want. If you like achievements go 360, if you like trophies then go PS3, and if you don't like or care about either then pick whatever controller you prefer for RPGs.

Thanks.

Sora_N

alanias said:
According to the import review on RPGfan it can be blown through in 25 if you skip all the sidequest, or take 80 if you do them all. It is organized in chapters and if you move to the next chapter all uncompleted sidequests are lost.

Wow awesome, I think I WILL bother with sidequests for this game then. (Usually I am too lazy. :lol )

Can't wait till tomorrow! (If it comes out in Canada)

survivor said:
Games Radar review if you’ve not been grinding like a millstone you’ll find bosses impossibly tough

Translation: We're bad at video games and our brains couldn't handle the mechanics, so we're going to claim you need to grind to progress even though people have already perfected grind-less speed runs to unlock difficulty modes 1-10. More 'games journalism' failure.

And of course people were claiming the same thing about Valkyrie Profile 2, by the same development team. Every time a new RPG comes out that is slightly above average in difficulty, the 'grind whine' crowd comes out.

Writing a video game review without competently understanding a games rules and mechanics is like trying to recap a chess match with no clue how chess is played.

My review of this game will probably be one of the most technically competent on the net.

survivor

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Translation: We're bad at video games and our brains couldn't handle the mechanics, so we're going to claim you need to grind to progress even though people have already perfected grind-less speed runs to unlock difficulty modes 1-10. More 'games journalism' failure.

And of course people were claiming the same thing about Valkyrie Profile 2, by the same development team. Every time a new RPG comes out that is slightly above average in difficulty, the 'grind whine' crowd comes out.

Writing a video game review without competently understanding a games rules and mechanics is like trying to recap a chess match with no clue how chess is played.

My review of this game will probably be one of the most technically competent on the net.
You sir are awesome. This grinding talk had me worried, but it seems it's more of "use a damn strategy instead of mashing buttons" right?

BTW are you the same guy that had the blog with the FF13 boss walkthrough?

Median

Game Shack in Toronto has the 360 version in stock, according to their Twitter. PS3 version will apparently come later this week.

Suairyu

Banned
mjemirzian said:

In fairness, these sorts of games often lack good instruction or demonstration of good tactical play.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favourite games this generation, but early on there were a lot of failures due to nuances of the system I didn't think the game had adequately explained to me. It took a good few chapters before I could say that every death was a strategic failure on my part rather than uncertainty about mechanical operation.

survivor

Banned
Median said:
Game Shack in Toronto has the 360 version in stock, according to their Twitter. PS3 version will apparently come later this week.
Is this a Toronto only store? Never seen one in Ottawa before. If they can get one then I'm hoping Gamestop would get their shipment today.

Suairyu said:
In fairness, these sorts of games often lack good instruction or demonstration of good tactical play.

It's their job to understand and write about games. They are getting paid for it. I played the demo for a few hours and easily got everything there is to know about it despite not knowing much Japanese.

Median said:

Thank you, I called them to confirm and I am going to pick up a copy now!

BTW are you the same guy that had the blog with the FF13 boss walkthrough?

Yes, thank you. I like helping people out with guides, or at least showing what's possible if you challenge yourself.

Top Bottom