• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
mjemirzian said:
Translation: We're bad at video games and our brains couldn't handle the mechanics, so we're going to claim you need to grind to progress even though people have already perfected grind-less speed runs to unlock difficulty modes 1-10. More 'games journalism' failure.

And of course people were claiming the same thing about Valkyrie Profile 2, by the same development team. Every time a new RPG comes out that is slightly above average in difficulty, the 'grind whine' crowd comes out.

Writing a video game review without competently understanding a games rules and mechanics is like trying to recap a chess match with no clue how chess is played.

My review of this game will probably be one of the most technically competent on the net.
And why, pray tell, should we trust the opinion of some random guy on an internet message board over someone who reviews games for a living? ;)

In seriousness, have you played the game yet, or are you basing this on track record (such as what you say about Valkyrie Profile 2)?

::edit::
Nevermind, the detail in your first post certainly sounds like you've played it.

Firestorm

Monroeski said:
And why, pray tell, should we trust the opinion of some random guy on an internet message board over someone who reviews games for a living? ;)

In seriousness, have you played the game yet, or are you basing this on track record (such as what you say about Valkyrie Profile 2)?

Nevermind, the detail in your first post certainly sounds like you've played it.
Not to mention he used a fact to back up what he said... it was hardly opinion.

Suairyu

Banned
mjemirzian said:
It's their job to understand and write about games. They are getting paid for it. I played the demo for a few hours and easily got everything there is to know about it despite not knowing much Japanese.
No, I totally get what you're saying. And I agree. But the problem is (usually) indicative of poor explanation. Not everyone (myself included) is very good at quickly learning RPG battle mechanics.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
Not to mention he used a fact to back up what he said... it was hardly opinion.
I would hardly call an example using speed runners indicative of the general population's skills, if that's the fact that you're talking about.

At any rate, it was just a joke.

zlatko

Banned
I think every JRPG that has ever been made for the most part has a complex looking battle system from the outside. Even the Japanese demo for this game isn't remotely hard if you can READ Japanese, but otherwise you are just blindly hitting buttons to see what does what.

I have found every RPG this generation PISS easy. The one that gave me the most Game Overs was in fact Final Fantasy 13, but that's because of the 65 side quest bosses you can tackle. Those bosses the higher you go were MADE to be difficult and a bit of experimentation on the player. I imagine if you are using a guide though that any of these 65 baddies would have been a cake walk and it was only 3 that really had me try again and again.(Think it was called King Ochu that was the most annoying in that whole game)

I welcome difficulty. Games that scale as you level up are my favorite kinds, because it gives you the right challenge with how much tools you have at your disposal. Say what you will about The Last Remnant, but that game had scaling difficulty so as you grinded more then the bosses had better spells, more damage, health, and strategies to use. I absolutely loved that about the game.

Valkyrie Profile without any guide the first time around was the right amount of difficulty AND it encouraged you to play the game again on harder ones if you wanted to see the best ending. Star Ocean: The Second Story on Universe Mode was an absolute treat.

If the games battle system is fun and varied enough then grinding CAN be fun. I welcome it! Reviewers need to understand that these games are NOT being looked at by casuals or FPS fans it is being looked at BY the people who love these types of games. You need to review from the position of will a JRPG fan like this? How HARD CORE of a JRPG fan do you need to be to stomach some faults?

A good example is Cross Edge. I had fun with that game and it was cool, but was it for every JRPG fan? Oh god no, so when the low reviews came out for it I understood them, but at the same time it would have been nice to put side notes on these reviews to people like myself who LOVE JRPGs with a passion and very rarely find them pure crap enough to skip over. (The Last Rebellion comes to mind as something I will never touch even though I love my JRPGs, but that game looks 100% crap)

Grinding, difficulty, 10 levels OF difficulty, and all within a strategic combat system? That sounds like a freaking blast for JRPG fans. The 8/10 score is what I feel this game will be getting from all around the net really, but 8/10 in JRPG land has become the new must play. The things reviewers knock this genre off for now doesn't even deter us enthusiasts.

/rant (I don't even know where all that came from) :lol

Ferrio

Banned
zlatko said:
Valkyrie Profile without any guide the first time around was the right amount of difficulty AND it encouraged you to play the game again on harder ones if you wanted to see the best ending. l

Just a rant here, but VP's "best ending" criteria was the stupidest thing I've ever encountered in an RPG. I love the game dearly, but that was a retarded move on their part.

Firestorm

Not all jRPG fans like grinding. I'm surprised there are those who do to be honest.
ChoklitReign said:
I don't think I'm going to like this at all. Grinding and difficulty spikes are my two biggest gripes in RPGs. WHERE IS MY BREAKTHROUGH JRPG, JAPAN?
Grinding isn't something that's present in many jRPGs imo. I'm usually tremendously underlevelled due to my knack for avoiding most battles that I can, but I still usually beat games without grinding except maybe once or twice.

Of course, I usually retry some bosses so many times it would be faster to grind but finally beating it and then gaining two levels at once is always just so much more awesome :D

Skilletor

Ferrio said:
Just a rant here, but VP's "best ending" criteria was the stupidest thing I've ever encountered in an RPG. I love the game dearly, but that was a retarded move on their part.

It's one of my favorite RPGs ever, and I agree with you.

jorgeton

Ferrio said:

Agreed. And I played with a guide and still managed to screw it up. Turned me off from actually finishing the game.

Monroeski said:

hmm.. well I did post some playthrough of the demo on the previous RoF thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCuQVQcMsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lnCXo2bwgo

Note that the real game doesn't play like this, because you want to let the gague charge up to increase your skill chances (not worth doing in the demo), and you don't get near infinite grenades.

In any case, I'd like to think I'm not quite a random guy on the internets. I have a blog, and I've been writing expert level guides and reviews since the Playstation era. I am new to this board but I've been liking it so far.

http://tbtactics.blogspot.com
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/5373.html

Also I'm installing RoF to my Xbox 360 right now and I'm getting ready to rock.

I picked up the last copy at Game Shack in Toronto.. sorry guys. ;)

Castor Krieg said:
Impressions please!

The first mission is a fetch quest. D'oh!! Where's the killing?

Rose is one ugly woman.

Music is very good, better than SO4.

The tutorial used the word 'abut'. That might confuse some kids.. lol

Damn this invincible tutorial bouncing clown head.. I might have to grind infinite hours to beat it.

hmm looks like lots and lots of side quests.. some of the ragdoll physics look really silly.

Just played through the first chapter 1 quest area, which is actually the demo.. so far so good

It's definitely an old school RPG. there's even little sparkles on the ground that you can check for free loot, etc.

Very easy so far since I'm used to lv 10 in the demo.

2San

zlatko said:
Grinding, difficulty, 10 levels OF difficulty, and all within a strategic combat system? That sounds like a freaking blast for JRPG fans. The 8/10 score is what I feel this game will be getting from all around the net really, but 8/10 in JRPG land has become the new must play. The things reviewers knock this genre off for now doesn't even deter us enthusiasts
This is what I noticed as well, though I do admit that this gen has been lacking. :x

Median

Tenkei said:
You were the one who picked up the last copy? Damn you!

If it's any consolation, the game's been removed from the New Releases list at my EB (in Brampton) which means it should be shipping now. The assistant manager told me the game's date had been Wednesday prior to that, so we should hopefully be seeing it then.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hate to bring this up, but-

What is the better SKU to get? Which was the primary SKU?

Better graphics on the PS3? I'm assuming shorter load times on the 360 with HD install... how many discs in the 360 SKU?

bon

FlyinJ said:

Better graphics on the PS3? I'm assuming shorter load times on the 360 with HD install... how many discs in the 360 SKU?
It's been reported that both versions look about equal graphically. 360 version is 1 disc.

zlatko

Banned
FlyinJ said:

I'm getting tired of seeing this question. It's on every page. It's no major differences this isn't a Bayonetta/FF13 situation. Get whichever you want.

I went to mom & pop game stores and they didn't have this either. I went to Best Buy and asked and they're only getting two copies! Two! Are you kidding me!?

Well, one more day shouldn't be too bad.

Thank goodness for Perfect Dark to help the wait! :D

jiien

Oh, just letting you guys know, though I preordered this at GameCrazy with a release date of the 16th (today), I called ahead of time to make sure, because I remember we had that release versus shipping stupidness. And lo and behold, they did not have it in yet. They said most likely tomorrow though.

This is in NJ, US.

zlatko said:
I'm getting tired of seeing this question. It's on every page. It's no major differences this isn't a Bayonetta/FF13 situation. Get whichever you want.

Agreed, it was all over the pre-release thread too. We should get this information into the OP so we can burn anyone else that asks :p

zlatko said:
I'm getting tired of seeing this question. It's on every page.
jiien said:
Agreed, it was all over the pre-release thread too. We should get this information into the OP so we can burn anyone else that asks :p

I agree, tired of seeing this as well. It's been agreed from the comparison screenshots that the 360 version is *slightly* better
while the PS3 fanbois are trying to run interference by claiming they're both equal

survivor

Banned
Saw this post on GameFAQs forums
EB Games near Main Street station said they'll get it at the 18th....
EB Dufferin and Eaton Centre said the same thing.
Gameshack said the same thing about the PS3 version, though the guy did say they might get it tomorrow, i sure hope so.
Gamerama said they're getting it tomorrow, so did the EB that's on top of Gamerama.
Gamestop near bathurst said tomorrow as well.
EB at Yorkdale said they were sold out, which means they did get it in today and i was late, ****.
Best Buy and Futureshop and The Source has no news on it.
GODDAMMIT I WANT MY COPY RIGHT NOW!
This is in Toronto Canada. I really wish Sega just overshipped the game instead of this mess we are getting.

zlatko

Banned
Adam Blade said:
I agree, tired of seeing this as well. It's been agreed from the comparison screenshots that the 360 version is *slightly* better
while the PS3 fanbois are trying to run interference by claiming they're both equal

/facepalm I'll take your comment as you were just messing around.

Take that fanboy crap somewhere else---these games are equal. There's pic on here where 360 version is missing things in the environment and ones where PS3 has more intense lighting compared to sharper 360 lighting.

BOTH have faults compared to the other so they are equal. Someone on here said something about that PS3 version has better audio in some way.

At this point it keeps going back and forth on which is better for whatever reason, so they are equal. There is NO Bayonetta crap going on here and that's what people are trying to avoid.

They are equal---end of story. Get for w/e console you want and leave your fanboy raincoat at the door please.

(Again I take it you were just joking around, so this is NOT directed at you...unless you were serious)

dramatis

So, practically nobody has been able to get it? I wonder how many copies Sega put in the initial shipment.

Mine still hasn't shipped yet....

4438873673_6a05bd89e8.jpg

Sounds like Sega is going to be giving away RoF themed iPod Touch! as part of some contest.
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/03/16/infinite-space-and-resonance-of-fate-launch-today/

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If the battle system is fun, then I love grinding. I loved grinding getting the characters up to level 40 before the end of CH 4 (VP2) and getting those awesome game breaking weapons. I hop ROF has that too. I love earning my god like powers by exploiting the combat and the level up bonus conditions and then squashing everything in my path. FUN!

Suzuki Yu

-DarKaoZ- said:
found it:

sEoE_11_360.jpg

sEoE_11_PS3.jpg

As you can see, the 360 ver is lacking the door on the left side of the screenshot, while the PS3 has a door in there.

Well this is my assumption, but its not big deal, is not like you will notice those small things, unless you know they are missing. :lol

i think the 360 one has a better details for the characters while the PS3 one has a better environment details ? am i the only one who think that way ?

Does it really matter? To bad the version comparisons didn't stay in the news thread.

I wonder how many pages of stupid debate this will generate.

Suzuki Yu said:
i think the 360 one has a better details for the characters while the PS3 one has a better environment details ? am i the only one who think that way ?

based on that pic you quoted, the environmental differences are quite pronounced IMO.

Suzuki Yu said:

The problem is the ps3 forgot to add blast door processing.

I got the 360 version because it was the only one they had in stock.

-DarkaoZ said:
As you can see, the 360 ver is lacking the door on the left side of the screenshot, while the PS3 has a door in there.
Seriously? You think they just somehow forgot to put in a door on the 360 version and instead chose to render the outside view? :lol

How about the door just happens to be open because it can open. Notice the use of Depth of Field from the door opening and lighting in the 360 version that the PS3 version lacks.

Suzuki Yu said:
i think the 360 one has a better details for the characters while the PS3 one has a better environment details ?
The PS3 may have better details in some cases on the environment, but not that you could tell with the vasoline-quincunx AA that the PS3 employs. Not to mention as someone stated before in the thread how the candle lighting on the PS3 looks like light bulbs.

The 360 has better lighting, but the use of DOF leads to some pretty blurred shots sometimes when it's not apparent that it's needed.

It's pretty obvious to me that the 360 shot has depth-of-field blur, that's why the wall looks blurry. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you which version was "better", they look mostly the same except for the lack of Super Fast Blast Door Processing on the PS3.

I'm kinda hoping that Sega used the larger storage capacity of Blu-ray to upgrade the quality of FMVs. I would consider buying the PS3 version just for that. Fortunately I'm not bothering with this game at release so I'll let the console warriors hash it out before I buy.

More impressions:

There's an arena with a cool 'game records' section, which lists a lot of gameplay data like number of encounters, max combo, bullets fired (already up to 3000 lol), number of tri-attacks used, time using each character, etc.

There are a lot of side quests but the main missions go by quickly. You choose when to end each chapter even after finishing the main story quest.. so you can go on doing the side things if you want.

Doesn't take long for things to get perverted. End of ch 1 already.

survivor

Banned
Any impressions on the lip synching? Does it match it well or did they just not give a damn? Also how was the tutorial? Helpful for slow people like me?

I wish this title had more visible promotions at work. We're only getting three copies. Man, I hope this game is good.:D Seems like this title may be the Valkyria Chronicles of 2010.

survivor said:
Any impressions on the lip synching? Does it match it well or did they just not give a damn? Also how was the tutorial? Helpful for slow people like me?

hmm.. the synching is pretty lame.. they didn't put a lot of effort into it

also if you put the language to Japanese, there's no subtitles in combat, so you have no clue what they're saying

The tutorial covered the bare basics but isn't nearly enough to master the game. But it's a good start, and the first playthrough is very forgiving so far.

The enemy AI just killed itself with a badly tossed grenade.

Enron

Banned
Adam Blade said:
Seriously? You think they just somehow forgot to put in a door on the 360 version and instead chose to render the outside view? :lol

How about the door just happens to be open because it can open. Notice the use of Depth of Field from the door opening and lighting in the 360 version that the PS3 version lacks.

The PS3 may have better details in some cases on the environment, but not that you could tell with the vasoline-quincunx AA that the PS3 employs. Not to mention as someone stated before in the thread how the candle lighting on the PS3 looks like light bulbs.

The 360 has better lighting, but the use of DOF leads to some pretty blurred shots sometimes when it's not apparent that it's needed.

Who cares which version is better. At the end of the day, it's still a tri-ace game.

golem

Enron said:
Who cares which version is better. At the end of the day, it's still a tri-ace game.
:lol

I have to say I hate to buy versions of games where the other turns out to be somewhat better.

I guess I'll flip a coin on this one.

OniShiro

Banned
Sorry if this has been answered before, but will the game have an option to use the japanese voices with english subtitles?

Top Bottom