• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

MarkusRJR

I just bought this game today and played an hour or so before my mind melted. The battle system looks so fucking confusing. It's hard to even figure out what's going on. Ugh... Hopefully I won't be this confused for the rest of the game. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Yaceka said:
I just bought this game today and played an hour or so before my mind melted. The battle system looks so fucking confusing. It's hard to even figure out what's going on. Ugh... Hopefully I won't be this confused for the rest of the game. :(

Arena tutorial.

Go there.
Do it.

Einbroch

Banned
This game is hard as hell, I'm to the point where I'm fighting these stupid helicopter things and I'm getting absolutely demolished.

Almost want to shelf it...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I...

... can't beat the 1st boss... at all. I keep getting criticaled, and I can't recover. Goddamn it I feel so inadequate right now...

Mo0

^^ Don't worry about it. Dying happens in this game, all the time, first from the learning curve and then from "Oh CRAP why did I do that" mistakes. The battles themselves aren't forgiving, but fortunately the retry system is.

Bebpo said:
Arena tutorial.

Go there.
Do it.
And keep in mind that after doing it it still takes some real world practice (or reading strategies online) to really get the hang of it.

If you're talking about the helicopters on Chapter 6, I found that they required just a really focused and fast attack on them. Ignore any extra enemies that may be there, do a jump attack with an MG followed by a jump HG to pop their body parts, then repeat for the main chopper. They've got enough HP to require a sizable number of charges to do full scratch damage, so try to move your MG user as far away as possible before starting the hero action.

(Actually that's a pretty general strategy for a lot of things, now that I think about it. Bosses tend to involve slightly different tactics, like I just beat one by making it wail on one dude while I shot him from behind where he had no body parts to cover him until he died, rather than messing with his body parts.)

RurouniZel

Well, I finally got past him, but it was sheer luck. He happened to be standing right above the oil drum when I destroyed it and he went with it.

Yay I can advance, but I don't feel like I earned it. :(

Mo0

Ooooh, THAT boss. That was how I killed him, too. Maybe I play too many shooters, but when I saw those barrels I knew I needed to try to bait him over towards them.

Started playing this today since I've played enough of FFXIII.

I hate to admit it but I'm having a hard time getting into Resonance of Fate. Thinking about selling it. The game is pretty good but it's just not hooking me.

What do you think guys? Would I make a mistake if I sold it?

Mo0

It's not exactly the easiest game to get into, so I don't think anyone could really blame you for not getting into it. The learning curve is INCREDIBLY steep, but once you've gotten past it, it's smooth sailing from then on out.

The biggest issue is that the story makes not a lick of god damn sense. I'm starting Chapter 7 and still have absolutely no bloody idea what, if any, overarching plot there's supposed to be. I'm enjoying the gameplay enough that I don't really care, though.

Einbroch

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I hate to admit it but I'm having a hard time getting into Resonance of Fate. Thinking about selling it. The game is pretty good but it's just not hooking me.

If you don't like it after 8-10 hours, trade it in. There's no point in playing a game you don't like, and this game isn't really one of those games that starts slow and builds up steam.

I like it, but if you don't, trade it in!

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

This game is hard, that's all I can say.

It pissed me off several times too. (almost controller throwing). But you learn from it, and it eventually becomes VERY rewarding to play.

If you're looking for story, forget it. It doesn't have much of one until near the end. Most of the time, it feels like you're watching episodes of Cowboy Bebop. The humor is enjoyable, that's for certain.

It'll take you about 8 or so hours before you finally really get the hang of how to play the game. At that point, it becomes quite fun and exciting!

Mo0 said:
It's not exactly the easiest game to get into, so I don't think anyone could really blame you for not getting into it. The learning curve is INCREDIBLY steep, but once you've gotten past it, it's smooth sailing from then on out.

The biggest issue is that the story makes not a lick of god damn sense. I'm starting Chapter 7 and still have absolutely no bloody idea what, if any, overarching plot there's supposed to be. I'm enjoying the gameplay enough that I don't really care, though.

Agreed with this. But story-wise, I just started Chapter 8 now, and the story actually is making sense to me. It's just... slow building is all.

Spoilers if you want to figure out what's going on up to Chapter 7:
Vashyron originally worked alone. He first stumbles on Zephyr, shown in the very first intro, and takes him under his wing. There's no explanation on why he went nuts, but you can assume it has to do with that weird machine.

The second intro actually plays out if you wait for the title-screen to go away. This one shows two men discussing some plans. Basically it's revealed here that there is no god, and they're going to continue deceiving the public, and build a new future. I'm guessing that Zephyr probably saw this machine. Hence why he went crazy, during that one cut-scene showing him questioning the existence of god after shooting all those people in the cranktown church or whatever.

Third intro is Zephyr rescuing Leanne. She's committing suicide because she wants to control her own fate, choose when she wants to die rather than a pre-determined fate. It's because Leanne was experimented on for whatever reason (not yet revealed). She was originally held captive, and was eventually released. I think she was released because the experiment failed, and that scientist had pity for her. She learned that she's got a limited time to live (like a year or something).

That guy up in Chandelier, the reason why he's agreed to try and build a new future is because of his lost love. He's generally a noble and good man, but because of his love, and determination, he's basically distorted his goals, trying to achieve something for the wrong reasons, and the wrong means.

The other guy with the white hair, and that little girl accompanying him, I believe he's the real bad guy here. But I think his motive for doing what he's doing is for that little girl. I have a feeling that the little girl is somehow linked to Leanne. The stuff she's drinking isn't wine. It's blood.

Vashyron himself is still a bit of a mystery. The only thing you really know about him is that he's got associations with almost everyone up at Chandelier. He used to be ex-military too, which may be why.

I am sure I missed other important plot points and symbolic meanings here and there, so feel free to fill in.

There's this whole theme about controlling your own fate and all that in there too. Some of the ramblings the characters talk about are a bit philosophical, and seems kinda pointless. Not sure why some of them are doing funny things like wanting to jump off a balcony. o_O

MarkusRJR

Holy shit... I keep getting raped by the first boss over and over again. Why did they have to make this game so confusing and difficult. D:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yaceka said:
Holy shit... I keep getting raped by the first boss over and over again. Why did they have to make this game so confusing and difficult. D:
Keep trying and use better strategy!

dramatis

Yaceka said:

Knock out the two gun-spider-like enemies, and then lure the boss into the area between the ramps. Try to conserve hero actions unless you're absolutely sure you can get a piece back, and run and gun until then. When the boss moves to regain body pieces from the tar bucket, hurry up and try to finish him off.

RurouniZel

I've beaten the first two bosses now, and both times I just got lucky after about 2 hours or so of dying constantly. I've just started chapter 3 and I'm on 7-8 hours of gameplay. That's just crazy. I've played lots of strategy games in my day, but here I feel like there's no strategy involved, just hope that something works out the 15th time you fight it so you can move on.

This game has everything I could reasonably want from a new RPG; great graphics and art direction, music by one of my favorite composers (Kohei Tanaka), a likable cast, an interesting story set up. But goddamn... this battle system really wants me to not like it at all.

I think I'm going to try Star Ocean next, and come back to it when I'm feeling a little more daring.

dramatis

RurouniZel said:
I've beaten the first two bosses now, and both times I just got lucky after about 2 hours or so of dying constantly. I've just started chapter 3 and I'm on 7-8 hours of gameplay. That's just crazy. I've played lots of strategy games in my day, but here I feel like there's no strategy involved, just hope that something works out the 15th time you fight it so you can move on.

It's not as aimless or luck-based as you think.
  • You do not need to use Hero Actions for every single move. You can 'run and gun', which is using the left stick to move and watching the colored section on your character's name as the limit on action instead of using the line and anchor.
  • There are two ways to regain Hero Action pieces for the bar: terminate an enemy, or terminate a body part gauge.
  • Machine guns are better used when you charge more circles, as the Attack multiplier increases with each charge. You deal more Scratch damage when you have 8 circles charged as opposed to 4. Setting up the order in the menu to have your machine gun user go first generally helps knock out at least one enemy in the first turn.
  • Hand guns are better used when you want to stun enemies, or break their gauges. Stunning becomes more viable when you are higher level, so that's a concern later.
  • Breaking gauges is useful for getting Hero Action pieces back. 'Breaking a gauge' happens when you hear a loud glass shattering sound and see, on either a body part gauge or a health gauge, lines slicing the gauge up. This is useful because now if the gauge health is terminated past the line, you get a piece back.
  • Jumping spreads the damage across health and body gauges. That means you may deal less damage to areas you feel you want to hit, so caution advised when it comes to jumping. Later in the game when you can charge faster and quicker, jumping is a good way to wipe enemies fast.

I'm only covering general basics here; you haven't specified what makes it difficult for you. Hope the above helps, at least.

RurouniZel said:

Well considering you have a disgaea avatar, maybe you should go the grind route? That's always an option in RPGs.

The game is not very luck based, you just need to improve.

RurouniZel

dramatis said:
It's not as aimless or luck-based as you think.
  • You do not need to use Hero Actions for every single move. You can 'run and gun', which is using the left stick to move and watching the colored section on your character's name as the limit on action instead of using the line and anchor.
  • There are two ways to regain Hero Action pieces for the bar: terminate an enemy, or terminate a body part gauge.
  • Machine guns are better used when you charge more circles, as the Attack multiplier increases with each charge. You deal more Scratch damage when you have 8 circles charged as opposed to 4. Setting up the order in the menu to have your machine gun user go first generally helps knock out at least one enemy in the first turn.
  • Hand guns are better used when you want to stun enemies, or break their gauges. Stunning becomes more viable when you are higher level, so that's a concern later.
  • Breaking gauges is useful for getting Hero Action pieces back. 'Breaking a gauge' happens when you hear a loud glass shattering sound and see, on either a body part gauge or a health gauge, lines slicing the gauge up. This is useful because now if the gauge health is terminated past the line, you get a piece back.
  • Jumping spreads the damage across health and body gauges. That means you may deal less damage to areas you feel you want to hit, so caution advised when it comes to jumping. Later in the game when you can charge faster and quicker, jumping is a good way to wipe enemies fast.

I'm only covering general basics here; you haven't specified what makes it difficult for you. Hope the above helps, at least.

The biggest issue I'm having, I suppose, is manipulating the enemy correctly. Let's take the 2nd boss for example. Let's say I want to break part of the shield to get to the core. So I take my MG user, and have them focus on a specific section in order to be able to break it.

- If I use a Hero Action, I'm 1 point down out of 3
- If I run and gun, the boss will most likely shoot me before I get the chance, bringing me near a breaking point in just one attack (and a 2nd attack will finish the job).

So inevitably, a point breaks, scatters all over the place, and not only do I not have enough movement points to get to them all with the next character, the boss is super fast and gets to them first, healing himself in the process and making it completely impossible for me to recover.

Retry.

So with my next attempt, I try to do a Hero Action/Jump with the MG user, and set up a tri-Attack. However, I have to have my MG run inbetween two people so that the Hero Action sets up the tri. I have to move at least one of them first. This person gets slowed by the counter attack of the 2nd boss (that 3 strike electric shock that slows their charge to a crawl). So by the time I set up the tri-Attack, one or two of my characters are slowed, and the tri-Attack fails. Points shatter, boss failed.

Retry.

Then I tried a systematic approach. Just concentrate on not losing my points, bring down each shield one by one. However this approach is far too slow; getting any of them close enough to shoot and they'll get countered first. Assuming I get a section all nice and blue for me to break, if I send another character in that direction to break it, the boss would turn in their direction, making it impossible to get to said section to break, and attack them while they run, thus slowing them. Charge from far away and it's so slow the result is the same. His attacks and counter attacks until my points shatter.

Retry.

Tried to use the barricades to keep my characters hidden from the blasts. He either

- attacks them before they reach the barricade
- goes around the barricade with his mad movement points and still attacks
- destroys the barricade and attacks.

Retry.

After several more retries of the above in various styles/movements and failing each and every time, I simply got lucky in that I somehow got my MG user/HG user behind him and he didn't turn around. If I didn't know any better, I think the game took pity on me and said "Fine, look. I know you're frustrated, just take the win and go already. You're going to burn out your PS3 at this rate if you stay here...".

mjemirzian said:
Well considering you have a disgaea avatar, maybe you should go the grind route? That's always an option in RPGs.

The game is not very luck based, you just need to improve.

Disgaea I can handle. It's difficult, but not obnoxiously so. Grinding is not the issue in this case, as winning the battle had nothing to do with how much HP I had left. It had to do with the enemy deciding not to turn around while I attacked the back for whatever reason...

Mo0

When you need to be conservative with hero actions, your best bet is to use them for the MG user, and then run and gun with the hand gun user. All it takes it one charge (which is very short) to convert ALL of that scratch damage into direct damage. Remember, handguns don't increase in power at all the more you charge them.

If you filled up a scratch meter with the MG, the HG shot will give you back that point, and you can wash, rinse, repeat.

As for the boss turning to dodge shots, that's where you bring in a character to distract him. If you put a character right up next to him, he'll focus on that character. Bring a different character over to whatever you're trying to shoot and shoot him that way.

Also, the turning is also mitigated by firing the handgun as fast as possible. If you're close enough, that first charge comes wicked quick before he has a chance to do much turning at all. Not always, but it helps.

I realize you ended up beating that boss, but this strategy, with minor changes depending on the boss' attacks, has worked for me on the bosses so far.

Aaron

RurouniZel said:
The biggest issue I'm having, I suppose, is manipulating the enemy correctly. Let's take the 2nd boss for example. Let's say I want to break part of the shield to get to the core. So I take my MG user, and have them focus on a specific section in order to be able to break it.

- If I use a Hero Action, I'm 1 point down out of 3
- If I run and gun, the boss will most likely shoot me before I get the chance, bringing me near a breaking point in just one attack (and a 2nd attack will finish the job).
I killed the 2nd boss first try. I mainly used hero actions to rush between the two sets of cover to shoot through his armor from above, healing when needed. I didn't use many grenades, but probably should have. You know you can skip a character's action, right? So you can go MG-HG-MG-HG, instead of MG-HG-HG-MG-HG-HG. Breaking parts of his shield should restore hero actions. For the MG, let it build up as many levels as possible before firing. For the HG, fire as soon as it has a level.

The combat system of this game is seriously complex. It took me about ten hours to really get a hang of it, mainly because the game does such a poor job explaining it. You might also want to uncover a bunch of hexes to get yourself another hero action slot. Three pretty quickly feels like too few in this game.

RurouniZel

Mo0 said:
When you need to be conservative with hero actions, your best bet is to use them for the MG user, and then run and gun with the hand gun user. All it takes it one charge (which is very short) to convert ALL of that scratch damage into direct damage. Remember, handguns don't increase in power at all the more you charge them.

If you filled up a scratch meter with the MG, the HG shot will give you back that point, and you can wash, rinse, repeat.

As for the boss turning to dodge shots, that's where you bring in a character to distract him. If you put a character right up next to him, he'll focus on that character. Bring a different character over to whatever you're trying to shoot and shoot him that way.

Also, the turning is also mitigated by firing the handgun as fast as possible. If you're close enough, that first charge comes wicked quick before he has a chance to do much turning at all. Not always, but it helps.

I realize you ended up beating that boss, but this strategy, with minor changes depending on the boss' attacks, has worked for me on the bosses so far.

Normally yes. But on the 2nd boss I start really far away from the boss. So I have to take the time to run up to him, by which point he's turned to me, charged, fired his 3 strikes and turned that character's charge speed into unusably slow. And sadly, most of the time if this happened, trying to bring another character around wouldn't fool him, he'd turn shoot and well... it's all downhill from there.

Like I said, I just got lucky. Or the game broke. Or took pity on me. In no way, shape or form do I felt like I "won" the fight (i.e. figured out the right strategy and executed it intentionally. Same with the 1st boss).

Aaron said:
I killed the 2nd boss first try. I mainly used hero actions to rush between the two sets of cover to shoot through his armor from above, healing when needed. I didn't use many grenades, but probably should have. You know you can skip a character's action, right? So you can go MG-HG-MG-HG, instead of MG-HG-HG-MG-HG-HG. Breaking parts of his shield should restore hero actions. For the MG, let it build up as many levels as possible before firing. For the HG, fire as soon as it has a level.

The combat system of this game is seriously complex. It took me about ten hours to really get a hang of it, mainly because the game does such a poor job explaining it. You might also want to uncover a bunch of hexes to get yourself another hero action slot. Three pretty quickly feels like too few in this game.

And I did not know either of these, either from the manual or the in-game manual/tutorials. I either missed them when I pursued them, or they weren't there.

radiantdreamer said:
This game is hard, that's all I can say.

It pissed me off several times too. (almost controller throwing). But you learn from it, and it eventually becomes VERY rewarding to play.

If you're looking for story, forget it. It doesn't have much of one until near the end. Most of the time, it feels like you're watching episodes of Cowboy Bebop. The humor is enjoyable, that's for certain.

It'll take you about 8 or so hours before you finally really get the hang of how to play the game. At that point, it becomes quite fun and exciting!

agreed - just finished, &, after first having played 2 sequels i was really looking forward to (ffxiii & smt:sj), this's easily the best game of the 3. great, challenging, inventive gameplay, great lead characters & script, the best soundtrack i've heard in a while, fun side-missions - hell, even the npcs are entertaining :) . i loved the steampunk game world, & the whole hex system thing's a mini- stroke of genius...

i think it's unfortunate rof'll mostly go by the wayside with many gamers, both because it's hard / the tutorials suck & because it's been over-shadowed by other releases. it's one of those games that really rewards your efforts, becoming more'n'more enjoyable the longer you play. it's likely the best rpg i'll play this year...

orion434

I played the Arena for a good 20 hours this past week and finally got *-lv to Rank 42 :D I connected the 1.5 EXP Terminal + 2X All Terminals + EXP Trainer on each Character for 6X EXP and now Vashyron is lv 138, Zephyr + Leeann are lv 117.

My Basic Strategy is Vashyron with Dual Machine Guns ( when I get to lv 100 & 100% Scratch + 100% Stun I'll go down to 1 MG + Grenade Box ) and I use a Hero Action to get 1 Resonance pt... then use Zephyr or Leeann to the side with more enemies... this will give me the 2nd Resonance pt... then Tri Attack starting with Vashyron... you usually take out 2 more enemies. If the game would have started Vashyron with the MG it would have been better... I didn't switch over until about Chapter 5 or 6... he's a beast with them

MechaX

I'm about 17 hours in after essentially finishing all of the fighting missions. Forcing the party down to two characters really has some mixed effects. While it does force you to really think about your actions and conserve hero points (I absolutely do not recommend trying to finish Dakota Vein with two characters like I did), but some battles are absolutely broken simply because the game was made for three characters in mind.

But now I have a full party, and two souped-up SMGs that only Vashyron can dual wield. Yeah, the balance is a little bit broken at this point. Dual SMGs can inflict full scratch damage on enemies that took at least two-three passes with a single SMG. Alternatively, dual-wielding handguns doesn't seem to be that effective, as I can't really dual-wield the two good pistols and the crappy starting pistol really drags the dual-wielder down. Right now, I need to grind a little bit more in order to get the weight needed for Zephyr and Leanne to dual-wield SMGs.

The plot is... eh, who am I kidding. There practically is no central plot at the moment. Although, I would actually prefer a more episodic approach to the plot compared to the drek Tri-Ace typically vomits out. And at least the characters are pretty likable and humorous despite how subdued everything is.

Now I actually do have a question about the battle system. Does anything really... change it up later in the game besides taking characters away from you? I mean, sure Valkyrie Profile 1/2 gravitated towards "one strategy is effective on everything" once you settled on a party of good characters, but you at least had the choice of many different characters, attacks, battle skills, etc. Here, all I'm doing is setting up for tri-attacks, putting scratch damage on things, regain hero points by breaking stuff, and that's it. I'm not usually one to complain, but my strategies essentially remained the same from the start of the game towards the point where I'm at now (when coming to boss battles, the only change that occurs is maybe I'll have to move the character to a slightly different angle and then set-up for everything) and nothing has been really difficult at all just yet.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
dual hg>>>>>>>>>>>>>dual smg

dual hg increases the chances of breaking hp gauges, which means that once you spray scratch damage and then convert it to permanent damage you gain Hero Actions without the need to kill enemies or destroys parts. Not to mentions HP gauge breaking STUNS enemies, and it also cancels attacks.

It's useful when you suddenly have 3 HA, for whatever reason, and you could use the HP gauge breaking ability to regain tons of HAs back.

Defuser

MechaX said:
The plot is... eh, who am I kidding. There practically is no central plot at the moment. Although, I would actually prefer a more episodic approach to the plot compared to the drek Tri-Ace typically vomits out. And at least the characters are pretty likable and humorous despite how subdued everything is.
There is a plot....just like Demon's Souls you have to piece everything from NPCs,scenes and form the conclusion. But then again,the plot is too complicated for any type of approach.

Defuser said:
There is a plot....just like Demon's Souls you have to piece everything from NPCs,scenes and form the conclusion. But then again,the plot is too complicated for any type of approach.

Either the plot seems too straight-forward to me, or there are a lot of subtle nuances that I'm not picking up...

weeneo

Neo Member
meh i just hate fuckin neverland............... :[

my fellows are all about level 150 (10k health)
i have great weapons... but how the fuck your supposed to beat this?? cant beat the first dungeon.
argh i'm fed up with grinding.

maybe i just should kill the endboss and leave the game alone :D

edit:
awww phew, just cleared the first part :D
its all about tactics :lol

edit2:

meh the last part and the bosses were kinda easy tho :/

orion434

Vashyron with lv 100 MG is just wrong... 100% Scratch + 100% Stun is crazy, I just finished the Arena... now working on getting Rank 43 - 49 to *-lv. Then off to Neverland and then to beat the game... all my chacaters are around lv 250. To lv-grind just repeat Rank 50 with the 1-big dude... and stun with Vashyron then finish with Zephyr or LeeAnn with Handguns or Grenades. To get a second player to lv 100 MG I stun with Dual Handguns then Scratch with MG, if still stunned thencontinue with MG or exit with 3rd member. It really doesn't take that long... maybe an hour.

rayner said:
Vashyron with lv 100 MG is just wrong... 100% Scratch + 100% Stun is crazy, I just finished the Arena... now working on getting Rank 43 - 49 to *-lv. Then off to Neverland and then to beat the game... all my chacaters are around lv 250. To lv-grind just repeat Rank 50 with the 1-big dude... and stun with Vashyron then finish with Zephyr or LeeAnn with Handguns or Grenades. To get a second player to lv 100 MG I stun with Dual Handguns then Scratch with MG, if still stunned thencontinue with MG or exit with 3rd member. It really doesn't take that long... maybe an hour.

I'm at 20-3 right now in the Arena. Does it make more sense to level up the machine gun through there? It seems like you eventually reach an xp cap of 500,000 required to level it up.

Is it a good idea to get more than one character maxed in MG? Leanne's bonuses seem incredibly weak compared to Vash or Zeph.

Aru

I tried the game tonight. Judging from the tutorial, this game seems really hard :lol Especially that critical mode.
Most original battle system from Tri-Ace yet.
I'll play it more next month.

zurra

finished neverland last night, going to take down the final boss today... like weeneo said, the last part and the bosses were pretty easy. i was only really thrown off by the first part, and once you figured out how the fights worked and what the enemies were capable of it never really ramped up in difficulty as you went deeper in. disappointing in that regard, but i can't complain much since i have two level 100 MG and a level 100 dual HG. soooo broken!

all in all the game was a very enjoyable ride. no complaints, really, except tri-Ace's lousy shadows!

MechaX

Oi. Maybe this is just the arena weighing the experience down (Even keeping up on it chapter by chapter is an absolute drag), but I swear, this is the only game where there is virtually an inverse-difficulty curve. Outside of doing incremental increase of damage, the game just gets easier and easier as you get more hero gauges and better upgrades for weapons. And this isn't even me getting used to the system; as I said in my last post, I've been using the exact same strategies from chapter 1 to the mid-point of chapter 9 thus far.

Hell, there have been only two instances where I actually did have to plan pretty deeply (
The four Yetis in the arena and fighting the three Mad Goliaths way before I was supposed to
). Even that gets kinda de-fanged when realizing how broken Bonus Hits and Armor Piercing Rounds are.

The game is definitely not bad in any sense of the word, but I'm just getting really bored at this point. And the characters are nice, but the story isn't really compelling me that much either (hopefully it picks up in the next 7 chapters).

What I find weird is that is can get easier and easier the less HP you've got. If you've got 5001HP and you get hit for 5002, you lose six bezels. If you have 1HP and get hit for 5002, you lose one. I love getting poisoned sometimes.

RurouniZel

I just started Chapter 6, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm still pissed at the difficulty though. My main beef now is that the cards are definitely stacked in the bad guys' favor.

Namely, it's extremely unfair that they can move and attack while I do the same, but when they attack, I can't move or attack them back. So in effect they're getting two turns for my one each round and it really pisses me off when I suddenly go critical because of it.

If it weren't for the insane difficulty I'd LOVE this game immensely.

duckroll

RurouniZel said:
I just started Chapter 6, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm still pissed at the difficulty though. My main beef now is that the cards are definitely stacked in the bad guys' favor.

Namely, it's extremely unfair that they can move and attack while I do the same, but when they attack, I can't move or attack them back. So in effect they're getting two turns for my one each round and it really pisses me off when I suddenly go critical because of it.

If it weren't for the insane difficulty I'd LOVE this game immensely.

If you feel it is unfair, you're playing it wrong. I suggest reading helpful comments people have posted about the game in the last 10 pages. :)

Aaron

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, you're doing it wrong. Don't immediately use the hero attack, but instead use cover and standing attacks to draw one or two enemies to you. Your standing attacks and on ground run bys have a chance of canceling enemy attacks. Save your hero actions mainly for the mg users. You should do full scratch in one run, and be able to pop most enemies in a single shot. Don't be shy about unleashing grenade hell either.

I really struggled with this game to start because it does a piss poor job of explaining the combat system, but now it's almost too easy. Even bosses can't critical me. Last boss I took down got to attack just twice in the whole battle.

duckroll said:
If you feel it is unfair, you're playing it wrong. I suggest reading helpful comments people have posted about the game in the last 10 pages. :)

Hey man you can't do that.. I thought this board was like a virtual chat room and nobody looked back past a page or two from the current one. ;)

On topic: The game is far from 'insanely difficult' especially on the default difficulty. Go back to the tutorial and try re-learning everything, read some hints from people on this board or gamefaqs or x360achievements, or just experiment by yourself. Go and improve your weapon customization. If you don't feel like grinding or using the money glitch, don't waste money on clothes. Do some side quests or danger zones, or try to uncover new towns/areas to explore for treasure.

The game becomes easy once you either get a grasp on the combat system or grind until you break the game with 100% scratch/stun. And it really doesn't compare in difficulty to some SRPGs I've played.. or a few RPGs (SMT: Nocturne comes to mind).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Will be buying this soon... but any version has any advantage over the other? In other words... PS3 or 360?

Replicant

One thing that I don't like about this game is the inability to change weapons/bullets/healing items on the fly unless you've set them up prior to entering a dungeon. Even then, you can't do it while performing action. It's really annoying because you'll go into a dungeon and all prepare for the majority of the enemies (ie. humans) then BAM! the game suddenly smack you with a huge metal enemy and your whole equipment is fucking useless against said enemy. This annoys the shit out of me. Because even if you had prepared with metal enemy in mind, it's likely that you'll run out of bullets dealing with previous human enemies before you reach that metal enemy because you can't change bullets in dungeon.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Replicant said:
One thing that I don't like about this game is the inability to change weapons/bullets/healing items on the fly unless you've set them up prior to entering a dungeon. Even then, you can't do it while performing action. It's really annoying because you'll go into a dungeon and all prepare for the majority of the enemies (ie. humans) then BAM! the game suddenly smack you with a huge metal enemy and your whole equipment is fucking useless against said enemy. This annoys the shit out of me. Because even if you had prepared with metal enemy in mind, it's likely that you'll run out of bullets dealing with previous human enemies before you reach that metal enemy because you can't change bullets in dungeon.

You must equip the ITEM BOX (I don't remember how its called) or the BULLET BOX in one of the weapons slots. You can then pick any bullet or item you need during the dungeon with no problem. The only con of this is that you won't be able to have dual HG or MG in that character. But really, you don't need the items, ones you figure out how the system works, you won't even think of using an item, because managing your HERO ACTION BARS is more important and as long as you have them, you won't die.

Aaron

What? You change bullet types with the back/select button. You can't change equipment, sure, but that's yet to matter for me since even if I really screw up, the dungeons are fairly short and I lose at most fifteen minutes reloading my last save.

duckroll

Ricker said:
Please stop with the doing it wrong thing...the game is hard,period.

The only thing which is really hard about the game is how the game does not really teach you how to play or how to take advantage of the game systems. No one who understands how the game systems work and the full mechanics of the game will say it is hard. It's not like this is an action game which requires input skills to be good at, it's a turn based RPG. There is more than enough advice being offered in this thread to aid even the WORST RPG players into being pretty good at the game. If someone feels the game is so hard that it is frustrating, then he is playing is wrongly and should read some of the help offered to make the game more fun for himself.

Not a hard concept to understand.

Aaron

Ricker said:
Please stop with the doing it wrong thing...the game is hard,period.
No, it's seriously not. I haven't had a critical break in like eight hours, even when I only have two playable characters. Just keep your weapons upgraded, and understand the details of the combat system, and it's not difficult at all. Getting to that point is the real bitch.

RurouniZel

duckroll said:
The only thing which is really hard about the game is how the game does not really teach you how to play or how to take advantage of the game systems. No one who understands how the game systems work and the full mechanics of the game will say it is hard. It's not like this is an action game which requires input skills to be good at, it's a turn based RPG. There is more than enough advice being offered in this thread to aid even the WORST RPG players into being pretty good at the game. If someone feels the game is so hard that it is frustrating, then he is playing is wrongly and should read some of the help offered to make the game more fun for himself.

Not a hard concept to understand.

But see, that's it right there. This game is so hard you practically need an FAQ/Official NeoGAF thread just to understand how the game works at the most basic, fundamental level! This isn't "This one particular fight is hard," like most games, it's the entire gameplay that can be mindboggling infuriating. I'm not some RPG n00b either; been playing RPGs since the NES. I've played my fair share of difficult, strategic RPGs.

As much as I'm liking the game still, it's well beyond difficult.

Even the vast majority of reviews from the so-called experts have sighted the game's non-existant learning curve and punishing difficulty. I think it's safe to say that your supposition is true that gamers who understand how the game works wouldn't say it's difficult. But hell, you could say that for almost any game ever made. With RoF however, the people who don't get it seem to FAR outnumber the people who do.

It is difficult. It's offputting. And it's a shame, because I can see the tender love and care that went into making it. I'm still playing it because I want to get it. But don't pretend this game isn't difficult. It is, even 17 hours in (about where I'm at currently).

Top Bottom